Parting

I'm So Fortunate

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OABVM-HNH-U (Beacause I love this song)

The one to the left is what's happening with Myung Soo in the ER and on the right is what's happening with Hyo Woo and everybody else.

 

 

Beep…

 

    “This is patient Kim Myung Soo, called in by his girlfriend after he fainted.”

 

Beep…

 

    “Age?”

    “20.”

 

Beep…

 

    “Medical history?”

    “It says here that.. He has a case of Arrhythmia.”

 

Beep…

 

    “Get the defibrillator.”

    “Yes Doctor.”

 

 

 

    Loud footsteps echoed throughout the quiet and eerie hospital.

    “Over there,” Woohyun pointed.

    All the boys behind him quickly followed. Near the emergency room a sobbing figure appeared. They approached her quietly.

    “Hyo Woo,” Hoya asked as he slowly walked towards her.

The girl looked up. Tears covered her face. Her eyes red and puffy from all the crying. She looked up to see six familiar faces.
 

She gathered all her strength and stood up. She hugged Hoya and began to cry. A tear fell down Hoya’s face. And soon the other five as well.

 

   

 

    “Not yet,” Myung Soo thought to himself. “Not right now.”

    He slowly closed his eyes and thought back to the happy memories with his friends.

 

 

 

    I watched as Sungjong, Woohyun hyung, and Sungyeol decorate my room with the things I liked. Sunggyu hyung brought the new magnas that was a sequel to my favorite magna, and we both read them in a day. Hoya hyung brought board games to keep us all entertained. And lastly, Dongwoo hyung brought me a stuffed toy which I didn’t like; so I told Dongwoo hyung that he could have it. Everyone seemed really happy.  

 

    “All right. Which one of you did this,” our pink haired principal yelled at us,

    We all began to snort and giggle.

    “It was me,” said Hoya hyung while raising his hand.

    “No it was me,” said Woohyun hyung.

     I couldn’t believe it.

    “I did it Principal,” added Sungjong.

    “I did it,” exclaimed Dongwoo hyung.

    “I did it,” said Sunggyu hyung.

    “No, no. I did it Principal,” said Sungyeol.

    “And I believe you did this too Mr. Kim,” asked the Principal.

    I pulled down my long sleeve uniform hiding my pink stained hands. I looked at my friends and smiled.

    “Neh, Principal. I did it,” I replied.

 

    “Okay. Graduation picture,” my mom said as she and my dad set up the camera.

    “Ya, ya, ya,” yelled Sunggyu hyung.

    “Look at him trying to get into the picture,” said Dongwoo hyung.

    “Ya! Lee Sungjong! You aren’t even graduating yet,” Sungyeol exclaimed.

    “Ah hyungs! Leave me alone,” Sungjong said while posing with my laughing Hyo Woo.

    “Get out of here,” I yelled.  Everybody started yelling and pushing Sungjong but he kept coming back and posing.

     “Okay kids! The camera is all set up. Huddle together!”

     Everyone then squished together and my parents ran next to me.

    “Our Myung Soo.  You’ve grown up so much. I’m so proud of you,” said my mom who was on the verge of tears.

    “Awwwww,” everybody said in unison and I just gave them all a glare.

    “Okay Yeobo. Stop hugging Myung Soo. The boy can’t breathe,” said my dad.

    “Thanks dad.” I smiled at his dad while my dad returned the favor.

    The beeping of the camera quickened and everybody said ‘kimchi’ as the camera took the photo.

 

 

 

Myung Soo’s parents arrived in a rush after having received a call from Sunggyu.

Hyo Woo walked up to them.

 

“Eomeonim.. Abeonim,” she said as she looked up at them.

 

    Tears started to fall down Hyo Woo’s face again. Mrs. Kim’s legs failed to keep her standing and she slowly fell on the floor and began sobbing. Mr. Kim stood there in disbelief looking at Hyo Woo.

 

 

 

    Myung Soo’s memories of his friends and family slowly faded and he saw a little girl next to him.

 

 

    “Woooooooooow. Look at that,” I heard Hyo Woo say.  “It’s so pretty!”

    “Yeah, it sure is,” I replied not knowing what she was taking about. All I could see was her beautiful face. Everything else seemed like a blur.

 

    Hyo Woo always slept in class because she always insists on waking up early just to make us breakfast and lunch. When the lesson ended she would just copy my notes.

    “Cheater,” I whispered to her in our university’s library

    She just stuck out her tongue at me while not leaving her eyes on my notes and I just chuckle at her.

    She still got a better grade than me in every class.

 

    “Mwo? What is this?”

    I was waiting for Hyo Woo in her bedroom when something caught my eye. A big shoebox under her bed that was decorated with pictures of us. I opened the box and found all the paper hearts O gave her on high school.

    “Aish. This girl,” I chuckled.

 

    “You’ll marry me right Myung Soo oppa?”

    “Maybe..”

    “Yah! Kim Myung Soo! That better be a yes..”

    I could help but laugh.

 

 

 

    Myung Soo’s lips began to curve into a smile.

 

 

Beep… Beep… Beep… Beep…

 

 

    “ Doctor look! The patient’s heart rate is increasing.”

    “Quick! Reset the defibrillator!”

 

 

    All of Myung Soo’s memories came flooding back to him in a flash. One after the other. They soon began to show the scene rather than playing it and then came the next one. Then the next one. And then the next one. They call came fast.

   

    A little too fast.

 

    Soon enough the memories stopped and all he saw was a bright light.

   

   

    “Despite my conditions,” he though as the bright light grew.

 

 

“Our Myung Soo,” sobbed Mrs. Kim. “How could this have happened to him? He was such a good kid that never did anything wrong? Why?”

I know was all Mr. Kim could reply as he held his wife in his arms while tears streamed down his face.

 

 

    “…I was so fortunate,” Myung Soo continued his thought as the bright light continued to grow.

 

 

Sungjong, Woohyun, and Sungyeol were also crying. Hoya was sitting at the corner on the floor looking into space trying his very best to hold back his tears. Dongwoo was hugging the stuffed toy that Myung Soo let him have when they were little. Sunggyu was standing in front of the emergency room door waiting hopelessly for his best friend to return.

 

 

    “…because I had…

 

 

Hyo Woo was at the hospital’s Church. She was desperately praying and sobbing and her hands trembled as she made paper hearts.

 

 

    “…you.

 

 

    Soon the bright light took over everything.

 

 

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.