How to be brave...

ShayMi Oneshot

Heart beats fast. Colors and promises. How to be brave. How can I love when I’m afraid to fall?

Shay sat near the window of the empty practice room, starring at a photograph of her older sister, Yoohyo.

Her dear beloved older sister was supposed to audition with her, but her dream of being a sister with her sister was cut short when Yoohyo came down with a disease that crippled her in so many ways.

Yoohyo could no longer run, skip or jump. Breathing can be laborious for the woman. Sining was now impossible for Shay’s dear sister.

But none of these aliments have hindered that big heart of hers.

Shay unconsciously touched the violet chocker around , remembering the exact words Yoohyo told her when she visited her for the first time in the hospital.

“Sunghyo-ah, please don’t let our dreams die with me. Be that star you are destined to be.”

“How can I be a shine while you’re fading away unnie?” Shay whispered, tears threatening to fall.

“Sunghyo-ah?” Shay whirled around and saw Zhou Mi standing by the door of the practice room. The Irish-Korean girl’s heart began to beat faster and her cheeks filled with heat as soon as their eyes met. Zhou Mi always had that affect on her; he was absolutely breath taking to Shay.

His deep, kind brown almond shaped eyes seemed to see into her heart.

But watching you stand, alone. All of my doubt, suddenly goes away somehow. One step closer.

“Z-Zhou Mi oppa,” Shay stammered, still surprised by his sudden appearance. Shay’s hand went to her strawberry blond hair, and tangled her fingers in its strands. “How are you oppa?” She asked sweetly, trying to drive his attention away her from depressed state.

Zhou Mi saw through her happy façade and hurried toward Shay. “Sunghyo-ah, is everything alright? You seem… depressed.” He asked kneeling on the floor to meet the small girl at eye level.

Shay pressed her lips together and diverted her gaze to her sister’s photograph. She swallowed the lump in , and her pride, handing the picture to Zhou Mi.

“My sister, Yoohyo… sh-she… She loved to sing and dance. She was good at it too, much better than me. She always urged me to keep trying and help me improve. We were going to audition together but…” Shay trailed off as tears blurred her vision.

Zhou Mi reached out and intertwined their fingers. Shay met Zhou Mi’s gentle brown gaze and pressed her lips together.

“She got sick, and she can hardly do anything anymore. She can’t sing or dance without hurting herself. I hardly had the mind to audition without her by my side…” Tears rolled down Shay’s cheeks as she remembered how pale and weak her sister looked when she saw her lying in that hospital bed.

“But, she told me that she didn’t want me to give up, she told me to audition and not give up on our dream but… I’m not sure I can do this Zhou Mi- oppa. I’m not sure if I can be that star she thinks I can be. How can I, when she is slowly…” Shay broke into heartbreaking sobs, burying her face in her hands.

“How can I, when she is slowly dying right in front of me? When she is painfully sperated from her dream?” Shay sobbed into her hands.

Shay suddenly felt herself being wrapped in Zhou Mi’s arms as her held her close in a warm hug. Shay wrapped her arms around his waist and wept into his chest. Shay’s heart pounded in her chest as the Chinese man held her in his arms.

“She knows you can do it Sunghyo-ah. You say you’re not as talented as your sister, but I think Yoohyo- ssi knows that you can do it. She believes in you Sunghyo- ah, this is your dream too, and she doesn’t want you to give up on it because of her illness.” Zhou Mi caressed Shay’s back and held her tight.

Shay looked up at her oppa, eyes red and puffy from crying, lips trembling. “Y- you think so?” Zhou Mi smiled at Shay and wiped away her tears.

“Absolutely, she wants you to be happy. When she does eventually pass on, she wants to knowing that you’re living a happy life.” He said and kissed Shay’s forehead.

A smile spread across Shay’s quivering lips and she rested her head on Zhou Mi’s chest. Suddenly, Shay’s world seemed brighter, happier.

“Thank you oppa.” She whispered as Zhou Mi lifted her off of the chair next to the window and onto his lap.

He her hair and softly sang “At Least I Still Have You” to her. But at the same time, another melody was playing in Shay’s heart.

I have died everyday waiting for you. Darling don’t be afraid I have loved you for a thousand years.

I’ll love you for a thousand more…

 

Italics are the lyrics to Christina Perri’s A Thousand Years.