Chapter 5

He's not my type but I love him

I’m riding on a taxi, fully disguised. The old taxi driver glanced at me a few times.

“Sorry if I’m being rude, young fellow, but are you an idol?”

“Excuse me, uncle?” I am sure I’m unrecognizable. Besides, isn’t he too old to recognize young idol stars?

“You are from that JYP building, right?” I nodded. ”My daughter kept saying she wants to be an idol of that company.”

I smiled. “Oh, well good luck to her, uncle.”

“And you know the reason why? Because she wants to meet…oh… what’s the name of that guy again? Nick?... you know the Thai one? I know it starts with an N.”

“Oh. That’s Nichkhun, uncle.” I laughed.

“Oh, right. Is he your friend?”

I can’t believe I’m being asked if I am friends with myself. I tried suppressing my laughter.

“Yes, sir.”

“Is he a good man?” He continued to ask.

“I like to believe so.” I grinned.

“He should be. My daughter wants to marry him someday.”

It’s my first time hearing that statement from a father. It seems like he approves of the ‘marriage’ already. I chuckled.

“Well, tell her to meet Nichkhun in the future, uncle. He likes meeting fans, you know.”

“Great. I’ll tell her that. So what’s your name, young man?”

Oh-oh. I tried thinking of a name.

“Wooyoung, sir.”

He glanced at me.

“You’re not him.”

I froze. How can he tell? Does he already know I’m Nichkhun? I should have given an unknown name and pretended to be a trainee in JYPE. Khun, where’s your brain!

“Wooyoung’s from Busan right? I heard his voice a few times on the radio. My daughter always has her radar for anything related to 2PM. It seems to be the trend nowadays. Tsk. Oh, we’re from Busan by the way.” The old man glanced at me. I looked away.

I gulped. I looked outside and was relieved it’s my destination already.

“Oh we’re here.” I paid him and hurriedly got out. He called on to me before I shut the door.

“Young man, whatever your name is, take care! And don’t forget to tell Nichkhun that my daughter is his future wife!”

I just smiled, waved at him and slammed the door.

-----

“Hyung, have you asked Chaerin about Nichkhun?” GD said while we’re having lunch with Dongwook (Se7en) hyung.

“Yeah, I already did.” I muttered. I don’t know why he kept bringing that up. And I don’t know why I’m so annoyed when thinking about it.

“And I’m right. Right?” He said smugly.

I threw him a dirty look. The two just laughed.

“Are you sure you only see her as a sister?” Dongwook hyung asked me for the nth time, mind you.

“Yeah! Of course! She’s not my type. You know that.” He nodded but GD looked like he’s not convinced.

“Well… I guess… but sometimes it’s not whether the girl is your ideal. Once you feel something, that’s it. BAM! Loooove.” Hyung enthusiastically said. “And love moves in mysterious ways Tabi.”

Jiyong and I chuckled at how tacky hyung sounds.

CL is definitely not my type. I like feminine women who are helpless and needs a man to direct their life. It makes me feel I’m in control and my opinion matters. Chaerin is the complete opposite. She blatantly scolds me when she thinks I’m wrong. Unlike other girls, she will say her opinion without thinking that guys can be thrown off by her bluntness.

What hyung said makes sense. It’s not exactly whether she’s the girl of your dreams that matters when it comes to the success of the relationship. I fell in love with a very beautiful girl who looks weak and made me feel that she needed me in her life… but it appears a misconception.

“By the way, I just wanna ask you two because you talk to those 2PM guys.” I said while munching. “Do you approve of Nichkhun?”

“Very much!” GD blurted out. “He’s a good man hyung. Friendly and respectful. I remember the first time I saw him, he bowed like there’s no tomorrow. And he gave me a freakin’ expensive gift for my birthday! Can you believe that? Plus…. he’s handsome.” He acted giddy saying the last part.

I jokingly slapped the back of his head. “Silly!”

Honestly, I think he’s nice and charming. But I have my own charms. Hey, why am I comparing myself to him?

“But seriously hyung, I can’t see anything wrong with him being with our CL. Well.. aside from one major thing.” GD said. Dongwook hyung nodded in agreement.

I looked at them. “What is it?”

“Fans.”

-----

I was left alone in the dressing room while the maknae and the maknae wannabe is having their photo shoot while Bom unnie is resting in the adjacent room with the managers. I was playing a game in my cellphone to pass the time when it vibrated.

*Chaerin-ah, you have a text message. It may come from me so hurry up & open it!*

I smiled when I saw it’s from him.

QUOTE
“Delivery.”
I looked around and saw Nichkhun at the door, holding a cup and a brown bag.

I smiled and waved at him. He came closer.

“Ms. Lee Chaerin, here’s a hot low fat coffee and chicken sandwich fresh from the oven. Bon apetit.” He handed me the coffee and put the brown bag on top of the table. We sat down.

“Sorry but I’m not one who placed the order. So I will not pay for these.” I said and then sipped the coffee.

“Well someone paid me already Mam. His name is Nichkhun Horvejkul. Do you know him?” He leaned in, waiting for my response.

“Oh yes of course. He’s the rotten boy who winks like there’s no tomorrow.” I said mockingly.

“Like this Mam?” He gave me consecutive winks that made me laugh.

“Stop it!” I said while clutching my stomach.

“Eat CL-roo.” He said, pushing the brown bag towards me. I smiled and obeyed. We are getting closer this past few weeks that he can already call me by my nickname.

“Have you eaten?” I asked him while I check out the sandwich he bought for me.

“Yes. And besides, just seeing you satisfied makes me feel full.” He said while his tummy.

“Aigoo.” I lightly punched his arms. “Quit those cheesy lines already, will you?”

He chuckled. “Alright. I don’t want you to lose your appetite.” He gave me an angelic smile that always make me feel I’m in cloud 9 or something.

We talked about random moments we can remember about our schedules. I told him about yesterday’s minor wardrobe malfunction. He told me about his indigestion while shooting a CF. He’s human after all. xD

A thought crossed my mind.

“I’m just wondering, what if I continued to ignore you?” I said while chewing.

He gave me an unknowing look.

“I mean before I was avoiding you right?” He nodded while pouting. Geez, he’s cute. “What if I never talked to you again?”

He tilted his head. “Now we never know. All I know is that I’m thankful you gave a chance.” He satisfactorily smiled.

“I’m actually realizing now that I made a mistake.”

I looked at his puzzled reaction.

“You didn’t tell me that you liked me. I thought you are just annoying me or flirting for the sake of it. If Dara unnie didn’t tell me, I will still think you’re a jerk till now.”

He sighed. “Sorry CL-roo. I was greatly intimidated. Plus, I sensed that you didn’t like me so,,,”

“You just gave up?” I said, raising my brows.

“Not because I thought I have no chance but because I care for you so much that I don’t want to make you mad or sad. I thought distancing from you is what you like so I tried so hard to do it.” He explained.

“Chicken.” I said while smirking.

His innocent smile warms me. I like putting him in the hot seat like this. He just reacts so cutely. “Past is past. Let’s just enjoy the present and look forward to the future.”

“There’s no future for the two of us.” I continued to tease.

He had the face of am I being rejected?

I laughed at his expression. “Just joking.”

A head peeked in the room when Khun was about to say something.

“Shoot will resume in 5 minutes Chaerin. Oh Hi Khun!”

“Hi Manager 678!” Nichkhun waved at him.

“Ahm.. not that I’m being nosy or something but the press will be here in any minute so Khun, you know what to do.” Manager said while looking at the food on the table. He looked at me so I mouthed “I left some for you.”

“Yap. Leave with no traces of my existence in this room.” He looked at me meaningfully and laughed. I guess he saw our silent conversation. “Got it hyung. I will leave in a few seconds.”

“Okay!” Manager triumphantly smiled and left to give us some minute of privacy.

“Bye.” I said while standing up.

“Ahm… I don’t have sched tomorrow night. Can I visit you?”

“Of course oppa.” I cheerfully said. We stood there for a few seconds. I don’t really want him to go but I just know he can’t stay.

“I’ll go now.” I was a little shocked by his next actions. He briefly touched my hand and squeezed it. His hands were soft and warm. I worried for a second if mine’s soft too.

He smiled, turned his back and retreated but peeked in when he’s at the door and waved at me.

“Take care!” We said at the same time at each other.

Then he’s gone. I caressed my hand he held for a moment. It was a different feeling.

I only came back to my senses when manager oppa went back to get his share of food. I cleared my throat.

“You okay?” He asked while munching the sandwich.

“More than okay.” I said, taking one last sip of coffee and handing Manager the rest of it.

-----

A phone rang.

“Hello.”

“So how was our pretty boy?” The voice on the other line asked.

“He was very nice and cool.” The old taxi driver answered.

“What did he say about your ‘daughter’?”

“He just laughed at it. I don’t think he was annoyed. But he pretended to be Wooyoung.”

“Really?” The man laughed. “Why is that?”

“Of course, he doesn’t want me to find out he’s Nichkhun. Besides, I pretended not to know him from the start.”

“Oh.” He scratched his head, thinking of what else can he write about that young man aside from being kind hearted. “Where did you drop him?”

“In that recording studio in Myeongdong.”

The two talked about other idol stars like Lee Joon of MBLAQ, Key of SHINee and Jiyoung of Kara. It seems like the old taxi driver also had them as passengers that day.

“Okay, thank you Uncle Sungwon. Please send me the tapes later. I’ll send the cheque to you tomorrow.”

He hung up and searched on his computer.

“Interesting.” He smiled widely.

The computer search shows that 2NE1 shot a commercial in the building the old taxi driver said Nichkhun went to.

 

------------

Sorry for the late update. I became sooo busy. ke. Thanks for dropping comments! If you're a new reader/lurker, i hope you can say a few words for me to be inspired LOL thanks