one

Paper Airplanes [on-hold]

            It was just before school started, and the sun was still fresh in the sky. He was tired from staying up late the previous night. Exams were coming up so his classes ran extra late and he hadn’t been able to return home until a little past midnight. His sneakers damp from walking through puddles that were left over from the rain fall of last night.

            Jae Beom stifled a yawn when he reached the school building. Something in the sky caught his eye. The object fell from above and landed just a few feet away from him. He blinked, a bit confused before stepping over to the object. It was a paper airplane. He picked it up and examined it. It was made from a piece of notebook paper and there was writing on it. The dirty blonde unfolded the paper and read its contents. It looked like someone’s notes.

            Another paper airplane caught his eye as it drifted onto the ground. Jae Beom went over and picked that one up, repeating what he did with the other one, and the results ended the same. He looked up, trying to find where the paper airplanes were coming from. His eyebrow rose at what he found. He spotted a girl sitting in the window on the third floor. She held something in her hand. Even though he could barely make out the shape of what she held, he knew what it was. Jae Beom was pretty sure it was a paper airplane. 

            No one else seemed to notice these paper airplanes falling onto the ground. Or if they did, they chose to ignore it as if it was something that wasn’t out of the ordinary. He picked up the few more that were on the ground.

            Moments later, he found himself rushing into the school building. He kicked off his sneakers and took out his pair of slippers the students and staff were supposed to wear from the shoe cabinet. He tossed his sneakers where his slippers were previously were and slipped the slippers on. With that out of the way, he continued to rush to the third floor.

            After racing up the flights of stairs, he was completely out of breath as he reached the top floor. There were a few students roaming around in the hall ways, some talking to one another, others minding their own business. Jae Beom strolled past them. He was determined to find the girl in the window. He wondered why, but couldn’t come up with a reason.

            He peaked into the classrooms that were on that floor, but still couldn’t find what he was looking for. Jae Beom then tried to looking into one of the doors that looked like it would lead to a closet, but it was too big to be just a closet. It looked more like a storage room with all the shelves packed with cardboard boxes.   

            Jae Beom entered the room, looking around. There was a single window in the room and it had been left open. No one was there like he had expected. He walked up to the window and noticed a notebook that was sitting on the window sill. He picked it and looked over the cover. It was a plain blue notebook, the only thing that was on the front was just a name neatly written in black ink. The name looked like a girl’s name and he wondered if this notebook belonged to that girl.

            Flipping open the cover, he saw that some pages had been ripped out. Jae Beom put the papers he collected into the notebook and saw that the jagged edges matched. He closed the notebook with the ripped out pages still inside. He reread the name on the cover over and over. For some reason, he wanted to meet with the owner of the book. Maybe he was just curious about why that girl was using her notes to make paper airplanes. Didn’t she need the notes to study for that upcoming exam?

            He decided that he would keep the notebook. He could have the excuse of returning the notebook to the girl so he could meet her. Before leaving the storage room, Jae Beom closed the window. Then, he headed off to class.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My first time writing something like this! Is it interesting so far? :3