Intro

Smile, It's Snowing [Hiatus]

 

 

1997, Sancheong.  

 

“Wohoooo! I got a chicken! Oh no, the chickens! Woooh!” the tall boy shouted in full delight as he proudly raised a big pack of fried chickens.

“Yah, can you shut it?” the short boy was pissed of his friend’s dramatic action.

The tall boy grinned and patted the shorter’s back. “Aigoo, my baby. I know you want these chickens but sadly I’m the one who won the bet! Yeaah!”

The shorter just rolled his eyes and sighed. The two boys were walking through the quite road as they guided their bikes along. Judging from the crumpled uniform they wore, it’s obvious that they were just back from school. The short boy, Lee Soonkyu, was enjoying the peaceful sight of the sparkling river on the side of the road, when his best friend interrupted once again.

“Yah, Lee Soonkyu, don’t you want it too? We’re just going to bet which team will be the winner and get the foods!” the tall boy playfully hit his back. He groaned.

“Aish, I told you I’m not putting any interest in it, Choi Sooyoung.” Soonkyu replied as he poked his friend on the forehead hard enough.

“Yah! why did you poke my forehead!" Sooyoung winced as he rubbed his forehead "Aish, It hurts!” 

Soonkyu gasped while covering his mouth exaggeratedly. “Omomomo! forgive me oppaaaa, I didn’t mean to hurt you~” he said in girly tone causing Sooyoung immediately closed his eyes and covered his ears.

“STOP STOP STOP! or I  will kick you to the river!”

Soonkyu laughed contentedly as he watched the serious face Sooyoung made. “Yah, just admit you love my cute action until you can’t handle it, oppaaaaa~” He winked, blowing a kiss.

Sooyoung cringed in disgust. If he was strong enough, he swore he would throw his bike to Soonkyu’s face and stuffed the wheels in to his mouth.

“THAT’S SO GAY, DUDE!”

Soonkyu laughed again as he started to ride his bike. “Come on! I have to pick up my mother!”

“Yah! wait up!” Sooyoung quickly hopped on to his bike as well. He paddled faster to catch up with him. The boys were cycling their bikes side by side, enjoying the beautiful scenery along their sides. While Soonkyu was drowning himself in its peaceful silence, Sooyoung suddenly took his hands off the bars, raising them high in the air.

“Sancheong, I love youuuuu!” he shouted randomly causing Soonkyu bursted out laughing again.

“Yah, I really meant that! I love my hometown! Shout your love, buddy!” Sooyoung grinned widely. Soonkyu followed as he easily took off his hands and put them around his mouth.

“I love you Sancheooooong! I, Lee Soonkyu, is very proud to be a part of youuu!” he shouted heartily then quickly gripped back the bars to steady his balance.

“Sancheong you’re so beautifuuuuul! Wooooooh!” Sooyoung laughed. “Yah, we are so random today!”

“No!” Soonkyu shook his head. “We are so random everyday! Keep your chickens, Soo!”

They laughed along and continue with small talk about random things while heading home.

 


 

“Sunyoung-ah, wake up.”

Someone gently patted her cheek, waking her up. The girl moaned as she idly rubbed her eyes and opened them. It was her sister who woke her up. She slowly got up and looked around when suddenly a leaf flown to her face.

“Aich!”

The older girl chuckled as she ruffled her hair. “Wake uuuup, kid! We are in Sancheong now!”

Sunyoung blankly stared at her sister then to the road in front of them. She remembered now, they’re already left their hometown to here, Sancheong. Her older sister, Park Sooyeon, just got a proper job in here as a pediatrician. Sunyoung remembered how happy she was when she finally got the job.

Because it’s impossible for them to live separately, the whole family moved together. They packed their things in big boxes and loaded it on the pick up car. Since the front seat was full with small boxes, both the siblings let their mother sat in the front while they chose to stay on the trunk, in between the boxes.

And the last thing she remembered was she fell asleep on her sister’s shoulder. Not to forget how many times she vomitted along the way because of nausea. Sunyoung looked around, watching the new panorama of their new hometown. On their sides were all ricefields. On the horizon she could see a fine line of houses with the hills behind. Somehow, the sight was calming. She closed her eyes as she felt the cool breeze gently her face.

“Yah, aren’t you excited? We are going to our new home!” Sooyeon nudged her gently but Sunyoung only snuggled closer to her, continuing her sleep.

“I’m still sleepy, eonnie.”

“Yah, but we're almost there. Remember we should unpack these boxes.”

“But the car is still running.” She whined, wishing to have more sleep before they could unpack the boxes. “Aren’t you sleepy? You usually fall asleep though.”

Sooyeon sighed. “That’s right, this is strange. Maybe I’m too excited?” She chuckled. “Okay okay, you can sleep now.” She patted her head as she leant herself back, staring at the blue sky above as a companion of birds passed through the air. She smiled as she closed her eyes, inhaling the scent of their new hometown.

“I hope, everything will be better in here.”

 


 

Soonkyu watched the familiar scene around him as he rode his bike through the market. He politely greeted some people he met on his way. It’s already evening and the sellers were going to close their stalls while some of them were still selling. He stopped nearby a small stall, watching a certain woman who was packing some food containers to a large bag. She was having a hard time to lift the bag off the table. He smiled as he immediately ran to her.

“Eomma!”

Lee Jihyun looked up to see her son coming toward her with a big smile on his face. She smiled back. “Aigoo, I thought you won’t come.”

“Sorry, Mr. Jang suddenly called me to help him.” He sighed as he picked up the large bag. “Besides, of course I will come, eomma. who’ll carry this thing then? This ahjumma?” he jokingly said as he wrapped an arm around her waist.

Jihyun chuckled. “Aigoo, looked at you. Why so crumpled like this, hmm?” She gently brushed his hair then adjusted his uniform. “Omo, I almost forget this.” She gave a small plastic bag to him. “Yoon ahjussi gave you some kimbab. He said it’s special for you because you already helped him yesterday.”

“Whoa! Really?!” he beamed as he impatiently took one and ate it. His face turned sour. “Umh, it’s already cold.”

“Of course, he made it since morning.” She pinched his cheek. “Now, we need to go home quick. I need to buy more flour.”

“Why? I thought we still had enough at home.”

“Because eomma’s best friend is moving here. I’m going to make some rice cakes for her.”

Soonkyu slightly frowned. “Best friend?”

“Yes.” Jihyun nodded as she cleaned the table of the stall. “More like childhood friend.”

“Childhood friend?” Soonkyu tapped his chin, trying to remember all of the story his mother told him. “Aaa, Park Soyeon-ssi?”

“Aigoo, how smart.”

He smiled proudly. “Of course, besides she is the one who frequently sends you letters.”

“That’s right. A week ago she sent me a letter, telling she’ll be moving here today with her daughters. Her first daughter is going to work in here as a pediatrician.” Jihyun smiled as she folded the cloth and put it in a small drawer. "It’s been a while. Ah, her daughters must be all pretty like her.” She turned to her son and patted his shoulder. “Come on, let’s go home.”

“Right away, madam!” He ran to his bike and put the bag in the front. He then waited for his mother to sit behind him.

“Ready, eomma?”

Jihyun carefully wrapped her arm around his waist while the other was holding another bag. “Please be careful, ahjussi!”

Soonkyu laughed as he started to ride his bike.

 


 

To Be Continued

 

 


 

Sneak Peek of the Next Episode?

 

"...no need to thank."

“Yah, do you know that you’re really annoying?”

--

"...this is my second daughter, Park Sunyoung. Sunyoung-ah, this is eomma’s friend, Lee Jihyun.”

"...this is my son, Lee Soonkyu. Soonkyu-ah, this is eomma’s friend, Park Soyeon.”

--

“Yah, what’s wrong?”

“I won’t go with him. He’s annoying, eonni!”

--

. “There is a myth saying if you hate someone too much, you’ll be turning deeply in love with that person."

“It won’t happened!”

--


 

AN : Oh my God, thank you so much for waiting and reading this story! Please keep supporting this story!

Sincerely

XOXO

-Heydhee-