2. Formation - Part II

Dead End Oblivion

 

The fourth addition to their group was Ishimaru Tadayoshi. Well, in JaeSeop's head, they only had two and a half people at the time as he wasn't really sure that Kevin was on board yet, despite Eli's unusually enthusiastic letters saying he was getting there.

JaeSeop's family would be staying over in Sui for the International Sporting Festival – which supposedly represents the current peace between kingdoms, but internally JaeSeop scoffed at the claim of peace. War may not take place, but, as far as JaeSeop is concerned, the fighting never stopped. Regardless, JaeSeop knew that would be his chance to meet Kevin, see Eli for the first time in months, and officially gather together representatives from each kingdom. He would have two weeks total to do this, but it was his best chance at getting to know anyone outside of their own kingdoms, so he would have to try his best. He knew that four more people would not come to them as conveniently as Kevin had.

Except, someone had come to JaeSeop just as conveniently as Kevin had.

He stuck out like a sore thumb, really; in a crowd consisting of citizens of Chi, a boy from Ka is hard to miss. He couldn't take his eyes off of him, wondering what he was doing there or why no one seemed to care that he was there. It was difficult to keep track of him, but every time JaeSeop lost site of the boy he would reappear a few minutes later.

JaeSeop made no comment to his younger siblings as they watched the crowd from above, only half-listening to their father's speech. This behavior was usual for his apathetic siblings, but JaeSeop always at least listened to what his father had to say, even if he rarely agreed. But, that day, he couldn't tear his eyes from the crowd, wondering about the boy from Ka.

JaeSeop, impulsively, made a dash for the bottom floor as soon as his father finished his speech, opting to take the stairs over the elevator. He felt his family's questioning stares on his back, but his pace didn't falter.

His mother was waiting for him on the second floor of the building, grabbing hold of his arm before JaeSeop could reach the next set of stairs.

“Kinji, where are you going in such a hurry?” She gave him a scolding look, seeming disappointed that her responsible eldest son would do something so rash, even without knowing his reasoning.

JaeSeop felt himself freeze up, unable to come up with an excuse while his mind was set on repeat; “You must find that boy...” He tried his best to look apologetic, finally speaking after a few false starts. “There is an appointment I have, I'm late for it, so I need to hurry.”

“Isn't it irresponsible to schedule something so close to such an important event? The King had planned this speech for months, how could you forget about it?”

“I'm sorry, Your Majesty, I won't do it again.”

“Do you even remember what the speech was about, Kinji?”

“Of course, it was about the current state of poverty within Chi. It's been decreasing lately, isn't that great?” JaeSeop knew that his mother couldn't hear the mocking tone in his voice. His father made a great deal about every little success within Chi, but pretended that the bad wasn't happening.

After a few moments had passed, she skeptically let go of him with a sigh, and JaeSeop didn't waste a moment hesitating.

Once he reached the departing crowd, he looked around wildly, wanting to smack himself in the forehead for not realizing he would be difficult to find on ground level.

A few civilians stared at him curiously, but parted for him to move through the crowd, dropping to their knees and bowing out of respect.

No matter where he looked he was unable to catch site of the boy from Ka, and eventually gave up and retreated back into the palace. He was unable to avoid being scolded for the disturbance he had caused. In the end, he felt stupid for what he had done, above all else.

 

After dinner, JaeSeop headed to the library to study. It was on his way there that he caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of his eye. A wave of heat hit him as the figure passed, making it impossible to ignore. He turned around, catching site of the figure, a boy, turning around a corner. “Hey!” He called after him. No doubt there was something suspicious about him, the way he didn't even react when he saw JaeSeop, and the immense warmth coming from his body.

The boy didn't stop as JaeSeop followed him down the corridor; didn't react at all.

JaeSeop sped up and grabbed his collar, seeming to have no other way to get him to stop. Being this close to him, he was sure that the heat he let off meant he was from Ka, even without seeing his face. JaeSeop wondered if he was the same boy from before. He couldn't help that they all looked the same to him.

The boy looked at him wide eyed, looking stupid with his mouth open, but saying nothing.

“What are you doing here?” JaeSeop narrowed his eyes at him, knowing that the look he was giving him meant he was up to no good.

“Wha- What am I doing?” He pointed to himself as he asked the question. JaeSeop noticed for the first time the clothes he was wearing; clothing that royalty would wear in Ka. Rich colors, silk fabric, intricate designs; it was all there.

JaeSeop found his patience wearing abnormally fast. “Yes, you! What are you doing?”

“Um... Traveling?”

“Traveling?”

“Yes...”

“Who are you?”

“What?”

“Your name?”

“U-Uhm, Ishimaru.”

JaeSeop was right; that was the name of the royal family in Ka. The boy seemed unusually nervous for someone of power, though, and it makes his appearance here all the more confusing. “Your given name?”

“Why do I need to tell you?” He suddenly seemed to regain himself, although his eyes didn't match his body's confidence.

“Do you really think that this is the place to be talking back?”

“Tadayoshi. It's Tadayoshi.”

JaeSeop hadn't heard of an Ishimaru Tadayoshi. “What are you? Your rank?”

“I'm a prince! Let me go.”

“A prince? How old are you?”

“Eighteen.” Tadayoshi began to struggle, trying to pull himself from JaeSeop's grip. “I'm not doing anything wrong, so let me go!”

JaeSeop only tightened his grip. “You're a prince from Ka, running around in The Castle of Chi? You don't see anything wrong with that?”

Tadayoshi stuttered, but said nothing logical.

“I don't know what to do with you... If I let The King know you're here, then I'm not sure you'll be living much longer.”

“Fine, then. Kill me. Try.” Tadayoshi spat the words.

It was JaeSeop's turn to be at loss for words, not actually having planned to go through with his threat in the first place, but he regained himself quickly. He thought of Chi and Ka's past relationship. They've had several wars in the past; a result of their close boarders. However, over the past hundred years their relationship had improved greatly, with the signing of the peace treaty by all kingdoms. Still, not long ago there was a weapons race, and they were close to breaking the treaty. This would have turned into full blown war if the International Courthouse hadn't gotten involved. The tension had since died down, but now really wasn't the time to upset the two kingdoms' fragile relationship. Killing a prince from Ka wouldn't be a smart move on Chi's part, especially knowing that Chi never disassembled the weapons they had put together, and JaeSeop could guess the same goes for Ka.

If JaeSeop did decide to take him to his father, he was sure that what would really happen would depend on how much information Tadayoshi reveals and what his intent on being there was. The worst that could happen is imprisonment – not that that was a light punishment.

“Alright, then.” JaeSeop pulled him through the corridors to his father's office, not letting go of Tadayoshi's arm. “So, what made you think it would be a good idea to go traveling in the castle of Chi?”

Tadayoshi only glared at him, not giving him any words. JaeSeop stopped in his tracks, seeing that he was getting no where. He wondered briefly if he should handle this on his own, but shook his head. Of course this was something his father should be involved in, if Tadayoshi really was who he said he was.

JaeSeop was surprised to see Tadayoshi's face once again transformed, this time unreadable. “W-Wait. I take it back, please don't tell anyone I'm here. I'll explain everything, just please don't tell anyone I'm here.”

JaeSeop found himself perplexed by Tadayoshi's abrupt switches in mood, and wondered what was really going on. “I have no reason to trust you. What if you're a spy?”

“But, I'm not! I swear!”

The corridors were empty now that night had settled. Only the dim lights lit the hallways, and the only sound was the pouring rain pelting the windows, casting shadows across the room. It suddenly felt haunted, and JaeSeop found himself considering Tadayoshi's request, despite how illogical it was. Something about the cold that hit him from behind, contrasting with the warmth radiating from Tadayoshi's skin, was starting to creep JaeSeop out.

“And what am I supposed to do? Let you go back to Ka without further question? You're obviously guilty of something!”

“No, don't send me back, please! I'll explain, I swear I will, I just...”

“Then explain.”

“U-Uh...”

JaeSeop waited, but Tadayoshi seemed to have nothing to say. “Why don't you want to go back to your home?”

Nothing.

“Right, well, listening to you seems to have been a waste of time.” JaeSeop turned back around and started dragging him again, but this time Tadayoshi fought back, digging his heels into the floor and pulling on his arm.

JaeSeop tightened his grip on Tadayoshi's arm. “Come... On... Even if you escape from me, someone else will find you.”

Tadayoshi tugged free, stepped back three large steps, and held onto the arm that had previously been held captive. “I told you not to tell anyone I was here!”

The cold air caught JaeSeop off guard, not having realized just how warm Tadayoshi's skin was. But JaeSeop didn't spend much time hesitating.

“Why would I listen to you? You-” JaeSeop cut off in surprise. The lights flickered off, and only the stars shining in from the window and the light reflected from the rain allowed him to see. “Seriously? The power went out?”

JaeSeop noticed the heat radiating from Tadayoshi was missing.

“Hey, come on, get back here!” JaeSeop tried chasing after him, but the dark disabled him. He searched for the heat, but realized that Tadayoshi was no where to be found when a flash of lightning let him catch a glimpse of the room.

Slowing to a stop, JaeSeop suddenly felt haunted in the large empty corridor, the air now seeming icy cold, accompanied by the roar of thunder. He retreated to his bed chamber, feeling a bit foolish to be scared of the dark so suddenly.

He alerted his father as soon as he could about his encounter with Tadayoshi, and he was told that he would tell the guards to keep a look out. After doing some research that night, he discovered there was no Prince Tadayoshi, raising more questions in JaeSeop's mind.

 

That wasn't the last JaeSeop would see of Tadayoshi.

He appeared again, in the library, when JaeSeop was deeply enthralled in his studies. He was alone in the large room, only a couple of nearby lamps keeping the room lit. The air had a similar feeling to that of the night he had met Tadayoshi, sending involuntary shivers down his spine when he finally looked up and realized how late it was.

Tadayoshi was sitting in the chair next to him, looking curiously over at JaeSeop. “! You! How long have you been there?” He let out a curse, his heart practically stopped when he noticed someone sitting next to him.

Tadayoshi took a moment to respond. “A while?”

“A while, huh? What are you doing? Thought you didn't want to be caught.”

“I don't.”

“Then, what are you still doing-”

“What's your name?”

“My name?”

“You asked for mine, so I'm asking for yours.”

JaeSeop took a moment to regain himself. “You aren't scared this time?”

“No... I don't think I'll be caught.”

“Aren't you caught now?”

“I'll escape again.”

JaeSeop was tired, and half sure he was imagining things. Torn between pounding his head into the table in front of him and attempting to turn Tadayoshi in to his father again, JaeSeop found he was only able to sit there. Instead of telling Tadayoshi that he was Prince Akimoto Kinji of Chi, he decided to take a risk. “My name is JaeSeop.”

“Jae... Seop?” Tadayoshi repeated the name, crinkling his nose a bit. “What kind of name is that?”

“No one has seen anything of you. Where have you been hiding?”

Tadayoshi just shrugged. “I haven't been hiding.”

“Yeah, right. Is there something you want?”

“Uh... I guess not?” Tadayoshi seemed to be pondering this for the first time.

“I don't understand who the hell you are, but this is ridiculous. I'm taking you to my father, and don't think you'll get away this time.” JaeSeop grabbed for his arm again, but his hand fell through the air. Tadayoshi was gone, as though he had never been there.

JaeSeop was certain he'd gone crazy. A haunting feeling crept into his chest. He decided, after the shock had resided, that it was best for him to get some sleep.

 

The following evening Tadayoshi was waiting for JaeSeop in his bed chamber, much to JaeSeop's dismay. “What are you-?” He couldn't find it in himself to finish the sentence, reminded of the previous night. He felt that anything he could say would only turn the conversation around in circles again.

“What are you so freaked out about?” Tadayoshi turned to him, resting his elbow on JaeSeop's desk, and placing his chin in his palm.

JaeSeop found himself asking something unexpected. “Are you a ghost?”

“Ghost?” Tadayoshi seemed to consider it, although his eyes showed he already knew the answer. “No, I don't think so.”

“Then what are you?”

“A citizen of Ka. Just another human being.”

JaeSeop only stared at him, feeling unsure of what to say. There wasn't anything to be afraid of, he reasoned, but a boy that could disappear and reappear was something that could only exist in fantasy, and that seemed to be enough to thoroughly disturb him.

Tadayoshi spoke again. “I've figured you out, though.”

“Figured me out?” JaeSeop still stood at the entrance, grasping onto the door handle behind him.

“Yeah, you're weird name, and all that. You're Prince Kinji, heir to the throne. It wasn't difficult to find that out. But you pretend to be somebody named JaeSeop when you write these letters.” JaeSeop let out a tiny gasp as Tadayoshi held up a stack of papers, undoubtedly the ones exchanged between him and Eli. JaeSeop cringed as he tried to think of what their content could be; in their letters they shared a lot of personal things that he didn't want a stranger reading.

“You shouldn't look through other people's stuff.”

Tadayoshi wasn't phased. “You and this Eli guy have some pretty big plans for the future, but you also have some pretty big secrets. You wouldn't want anyone to find out about them, would you?”

“W-What are you trying to get at?”

“If you want to keep JaeSeop a secret, then you'll keep me a secret.”

JaeSeop paled. He tried to think about it reasonably, but his mind had been made up before he had the chance. He would have to listen to him.

“Also-”

“What else?” JaeSeop snapped at him.

“I want to represent Ka.”

“You what?”

“In that group thing you're getting together. I can represent Ka.” Tadayoshi pushed.

“No way!” JaeSeop practically laughed at the idea. Why did this kid want to get involved with something like this?

“Why not?” He whined.

“What are you going to do? You don't even want anyone to know who you... are...” JaeSeop trailed off, realizing that what he was saying was actually what would make Tadayoshi the perfect addition.

Tadayoshi realized this too. “I'd be the perfect spy. I'm great at... Going by unnoticed. I could go back to to Ka, do whatever you want me to. I could come back here whenever I want. I could go wherever you need me, really, I could do anything for you – Except...” Tadayoshi's voice abruptly cut off.

“Except, what?”

“Never mind. Will you take me or not?”

JaeSeop let out a deep breath. He still hadn't gotten over Tadayoshi's... ghostlike qualities. He couldn't make a decision now. He needed to rest-

“Or, I can just make sure that the King finds these letters, and-”

“Fine.”

Tadayoshi seemed surprised in spite himself. “Really?”

“Don't make me regret it.”

“What's going to be my code name?”

“Code name...? Uh, well, I've thought of a few...” JaeSeop studied Tadayoshi's face. “You'll be DongHo, then.”

 

---

 

I'm sorry!  A lot of things came up and... Sigh.  I have excuses, but the point it that, as long as nothing else comes up, I'll try my best to update consistently from now on.  Please forgive me!  I was in a rush to get the chapter up, so it's not properly proofread.  -_-"  It's not as long as I'd like for it to be, either...

On a side note, since it was never said or mentioned up until now, I was wondering if anyone would mind too much if future chapters are rated?  I don't think it'll be for a while, but I want to say something now so that no one is caught of guard?  I guess.  Also, since I thought all of the names and kingdoms were a bit difficult to keep track of, especially since I haven't updated in so long, I'm posting a bit of info in the foreword to help you keep some things straight.

Both sseonflower and iamanonymous both guessed is was DongHo, and they were right, so...  Yay?  And thank you again for your comments!  And to all of those who subscribed!  If you're still reading... I hope this was worth the wait.