Ch 1: Tag! You're it.

The Pacemaker

 

 “YAH! Kim Soojin!”

 I ducked at the last second, dodging the flying shoe that was aimed right at my head.

“Soojin-ah!  Come back here!”

“You’re dead meat once I reach you!”

“Dongsaeng1!  I’ll promise to treat you if you stop running!”  

I let out an impish smirk, No way am I turning back. 

“Jin-ah,” Chaerim collapsed on the couch and wiggled her way closer to me.

“Yo,” I replied back half-heartedly, my concentration still directed on the Cultist2 that just showed up on the screen.  It started raising some demons.

“Are you hungry?”  

I gave the cause of disturbance a fleeting look before shaking my head in response, “Not really.”  I immediately directed my attention to the computer; making the Monk3 do a “staff spin” to elude all of the Cultist’s dark minions.   

“You want to go out?” Chaerim continued on, poking my arm. One after the other.  

I quickly slayed the Cultist and clicked the mouse around to save the game; all done while enduring her pokes.  Heaving a big sigh, I swivelled my chair and turned to face my very demanding friend, “To where?”

Chaerim stopped from the prodding, wrapped her arm around my shoulders and smiled sweetly.  Right then and there, I felt a cold shiver run through my body.

I want to say that we’re playing an extreme game of tag, but I’d be lying.  I shook my head in disbelief after realizing that I had willingly walked right into their crafty, deceitful trap.  Why didn’t I just ignore her?

I slipped through the crowded street as quickly as I can, gasping after crashing in to this woman carrying a -load of groceries.  

“Mianhe4!”  I yelled out behind me, not daring to stop in the thrill of escape.

“HEY YOU!  Don’t you dare leave, kid!  Clean this mess up!”  The lady screamed at the top of her lungs, clearly overflowing with anger.

I bit my bottom lip, Sorry lady!  It’s a life-or-death situation right now.  If I ever meet you again, I’ll definitely pay you back. I adjusted the snap back on my head after almost falling off in the collision.

Curving around the lamp post, I crossed to the other street; hoping to get away farther.  That was a mistake.

Seeing that luck is clearly trying to avoid me, the street had a ruptured fire hydrant that swamped the whole street and road.  In the midst of trying to steer clear of the water, I almost fell right into an uncovered manhole.  Then, a group of foreigners blocked me and began asking directions to get around Itaewon.  As hard as I tried to tell them that their language and I don’t get along (with me shaking my head profusely and with all of my desperate hand motions) they still refused to let me go.  I struggled to answer them with my broken English, aware that what I said probably confused them a hell lot more.

“Aish!  Why do these things happen at this moment?” I complained through gritted teeth.  I quickened my pace, knowing that I wasted a great deal of time racking my brain for the English words that was learned years ago. 

I glanced behind me only to find the chasers drawing nearer and nearer.  !  Why are they so persistent?

Out of anxiety, I hid behind a nearby bench; pulling my hat lower to conceal my face.

“Hopefully . . . they won’t . . . find me . . . here,” I said in between pants as I crouched down to the ground.

I sat with my lips pursed and hands clenched, waiting for someone to jump me. 

My brows furrowed in suspicion as no one arrived, Where’d they go?  Carefully, I scanned the whole place–keeping an eye out for anything sketchy . . . but there was none.  

The more minutes passed, the more uneventful it became.  That’s when I realized it was time.

I popped out of my place of privacy and stretched my arms high up, a yawn comfortably escaping my lips.  “I guess I’ve lost them!”  I cheered, grinning from ear to ear. 

“Found you!”

My heart skipped a beat because of the outburst; paralyzed on spot.  Before I knew it, I was lifted off of the ground with a pair of hands holding my feet and a set of powerful grips carrying me by the arms.

I was caught.   

 

 

 

 

“That’s him!”

“That’s him?” I repeated, still sceptical of their plan.  I pouted and tried catching one of their eyes with my own, praying that they’ll just forget everything and set me free.

“Yeah that’s him, now hurry up!” Completely ignoring my pleas, Heejin assertively pushes me from the back.  “I lost one of my new pumps because of you!”

“I can’t believe I’m doing this,” I sighed, definitely defeated.

Abruptly, my brother made me face him.  Minseok oppa5 dusted my shirt, took off my hat and fixed my fringe–setting them to the side.  I remember when I was younger, he’d do the exact same thing just before we get home from playing outside; having me appear decent in front of our parents.  Except he’d forget all about himself so he’d be the one scolded after they took notice of how rumpled his clothes where, and how scruffy he looked.  So selfless.

He held me by the shoulders and looked directly in my eyes, “Remember, be nice!”  

I squirmed out of his grasps, “I am nice!”  I wrinkled my nose and crossed my arms in hostility. 

Caught of guard by my rejection of his gesture, he staggered backwards.  But not long after, he simply smiled and patted my head.  “Cute.”

Playfully, I stuck out my tongue . . . then followed it with a thankful grin.  I know that he’s only looking out for me.

I then turned to face the café, took a deep breath, and pushed the door open; the bells above chiming at the slightest touch.  Here we go.

As slow as I can manage, I headed towards the table that Chaerim eagerly pointed out.  The guy waits patiently holding the menu in front of him.  He nods his head every now and then, pleased at what he reads.  Did they ever mention his name?  I barely remember anything after they had kindly attacked me!

Shaking my head at the thought of losing to them so easily, I instead took note of his preppy style. He wears a blue, checkered polo beneath a striped, red sweater.  I gazed down at what I’m wearing: A flowery blouse, neatly tucked in my dark, denim jeans.  I grimaced. To be honest, these clothes aren’t mine.  Chaerim forced them on me after the abduction.   

Quickly he stood from his seat upon sensing my arrival, welcoming me with a friendly grin.

“Hi!”

I studied his appearance now that I was up close, noticing his flawless fair skin, his chestnut-brown hair nicely swept to the left, and his eyes . . . his gentle eyes.    

He extended his hand in between us, “I’m Suho!”

“Soojin,” I shook his hand briefly; even though I find these kinds of things a little unnecessary.   


Superscripts!

1. Dongsaeng - the term Koreans use for someone younger than them.

2. Cultist - a type of monster in Diablo III; human mages which summons powerful demons. 

3. Monk - the character class that Soojin chose as her avatar in Diablo III; a melee/brawl fighter.

4. Mianhe -  the less formal way of saying "I'm sorry" in Korean.

5. Oppa - the term female Koreans use for older brother or older males. 

 

A/N: Hi! AT LAAST, I've updated. :D I've noticed that EXO is garnering quite a lot of attention here in AFF lately.  Actually, A LOT is an understatement. -_____-"  The tag "exo" has 9000+ in the Most Popular Topics, and the number is still increasing rapidly!!! It's not even funny.  The tag is going to bump down Taemin soon.  I didn't even think it was possible! D:

I'm just lucky if people notice this story.  Hope you've  enjoyed the first chapter! 

Much love,

maui