3. Out of Character

"If I could say it in words there would be no reason to paint".

 

I looked at the sign over the red door poorly convinced, we've never went there before and I couldn't stop asking myself how could Lay know a restaurant near my new workplace, we rarely walked in that area.
A good smell of food inside reassicured me at least a bit, I was vaguely hungry and I hoped I wouldn't had to eat grass again.
Looking around after greeting the shop's lady, I spotted Lay in a squared table but, before I could greet him my feet stopped in their track: he wasn't alone.
At his motion with a hand, I obliged my body to restart walking and slowly approached the table.
"Here you are!!".
I threw a glance to Lay before smiling poorly at the other two person at the table: Kai and Sehun. Bowing slightly to them, I glared at Lay questionly and shifted beside him on a uncomfortable blue bench.
"I was helping a customer, sorry if I'm late". I muttered, aware that I was late on our accorded hour but also annoyed by the fact Lay hadn't even told me we weren't alone and, above all, that he was coming. Why the hell was he here by the way?
"No problem! Sehun had already ordered for us all" announced Lay smiling to me. 
My brows arched a his words: he had ordered for us? All of us? And with Lay knowing my usual diet?
My gaze shifted on the godly figure just on the opposite side of the table; he was smiling briefly almost in an apologizing way with his eyes focused me. I could't bring myself on protesting.
Kai laughed elbowing Sehun: "He's pretty good on guessing people's taste! We also used to take bet at school! I swear we had a good business going on but Sehun decided to stop!". 
"It wasn't exactly legal".
My hands gripped under the table as he laughed and stopped Kai of giving us more details. How was even possible for him having the lisp also while laughing? And it was such a soothing laugh, not really low pitched how I would had expected.
I could barely took my eyes away from his mouth, slim and pale lips often wetted by his tongue; I noticed, gulping down, how often he did that thing and how much his mouth seemed to be unable to stay still.
"Here is your order".
I jumped startled at the woman's voice besides me as a big hot bowl landed softly in front of me; I stared surprised at the content, not really knowing what that was but slightly pleased by the view: some green things were alined on the top of the bowl creating a circled pattern on the noodles underneath.
"Lay Hyung's is kimchi ramyun with onions and Luhan Hyung's one is black noodles with leeks and roasted beef". My breath stopped for a instant as he said my name, it had sounded clear, pure, simple on his lips. Our gaze connected and I smiled slightly before taking my chopsticks: It was actually good. The taste surprised me and I found myself eating eagerly but still slowly, wanting to savour it attentively.
"So, you're keen about food?", Lay's question brought me back to the table and I unconsciously stared at Sehun instantly.
"Ah, ne. I'm attending cooking class every weekend".
"Neglecting dance". A pouting Kai made, for my heart's bliss, Sehun laugh again.
"Biane".
Kai smiled shrugging and hugging Sehun: "I had perdoned you only because you cook for me everyday".
"Only because I can't stand YOUR cooking. It's awful, really. An offense for food". A not so soft punch landed on Sehun shoulder and I had to stop myself on glaring at Kai: what if that would leave a bruise?
The conversation shifted casually on childhood as Lay asked them since when they were friends. 
"We started hanging out because our mums knew each other, so around 6 or 7!".
"We too, Luhan's mum always picked us up from elementary".
Smiling at the memory, I nodded and laughed looking at Lay: "Your mum always scolded you because you always kidnapped me without telling my parents!". My heart accelerated at the clear sound of Sehun's laugh and I had the strange confirmation that I would recognize his laugh even between hundred of voices.
Lay shrugged taking a long breath after laughing: "I only wanted to play!".
I relaxed, talking about early days help me to control the bumping heart each time Sehun talked. What was wrong with me? 
My iPod alarm brough me back to reality a hour later, reminding me that my launch break had finished. I glanced at the clock surprised at how fast the time had flew by and stood up fastly.
"I have to return to the shop! My break is almost finished".
"Ah! I didn't even asked you how was work!". Lay looked guilty as he stood up and stretched to me my jacket.
I smiled shrugging and, saying a simple 'It's good', made him smile again.
"I'm paying for you, don't be late and go! You can't be late on your first day!".
I laughed at Lay's words and thanked him; Taking my bag from the chair I bowed briefly towards Sehun and Kai.
"I'm sorry, I have to return, thank you for the lunch".
"We'll see each others next time" smiled Kai.
I nodded a bit taken aback and looked at Sehun, nervousness blanking off my mind of any suitable sentence.
"Uhm.. Thank you for choosing my order. It was good". 
The bright smile from him made my cheeks burn and I really hoped it wasn't noticeable.
"See you again Luhan Hyung". Ok. That didn't helped.
Slightly wobbling, I walked fast to the door and practically run all the way back to the shop. Gosh, what was wrong with me?
 
 
It was raining again that Sunday, the weather kept changing in that period, I had to bring with me an umbrella always. I mumbled to my self the song that exited the speaker of the shop, Nell's song always soothes me. I felt already home in there, even if it was just my second day; It was a small shop into a not so crowded street, a small balcony in front of the entrance, dark wood on the floor and tons of photos hanging on the wall like wallpaper. 
I had met the owner the day before, Kris's first impression was of a tall foreigner looking guy with an icy personality but, actually, he had been gentle and funny. He was clearly happy that I knew Lomography's cameras and that I loved photography and that I wasn't just in search for the job without qualifications. We were both person of few words so we had settled out well in few hours; He was a photographer, he knew how to use the darkroom so he was almost always in the back of the shop to develop photos from the film for customers.
The shop wasn't a crowded one but there were always at least one or two customers, asking questions, advices: I would had to study more what we had into the shop to be able to help everybody but it didn't bothered me. I was flipping through a vintage photo album of the shop, studying each of the marvelous shots that were inside, when the door chimed announcing a customare. 
I smiled and listened at the woman request, she needed some special filter but, as it was a too technical thing, I went to call Kris exposing him the request.
"I'll take that. It's almost close hour, you can return home", as he was finished talking, the door chirped again and I smiled.
"I'll help this one last customare and then go". 
"Yes, thanks, you worked well, I'm glad I hired you".
Smiling happily I returned in the front shop and walked to the door, a drenched boy had entered, the baseball cap on his head was completely wet as his shoes and jeans.
"Ah, Welcome, do you need h.."
My voice stopped as the guy lifted the head and an embarrassed smiling Sehun looked at me hesitantly.
"Hi.." he bowed to me.
My eyes widened and I stared at him without talking. He shifted his weight for a feet to the other: "I was nearby.. ".
"How did you know?".
"Lay Hyung, he told me".
And now? What was I supposed to do/say?
"Luhan? Do you need help?" Kris voice, approaching us, surprised me.
Sehun bowed smiling: "Ah, I'm sorry. I was here only to greet Luhan Hyung".
Kris smiled nodding: "That's ok! It's closing time already! You can go with your friend".
I glanced at Kris in horror: I had to go with Sehun!? With him?! Alone?! And what about the 'friend' thing? We barely knew each other!
"Uhm.. I'll take my bag".
Cursing slightly at Lay for saying to stranger my workplace, I walked to the back of the shop again to take my bag and jacket. Before returning, I took a long breath, trying to relax a bit. He was waiting for me with a small smile, hand on the knob of the door. The small balcony in front of the shop was a little cramped for two people but, as I was stepping down the first step, I rembered him being drenched.
"Don't you have an umbrella?". He scratched his head shaking it and shrugged a bit his shoulders; as if I could leave him being rained off..
"You can, I mean, walk with me" I lifted my arm to make enough space for him under my red umbrella: how tall was he anyway? He smiled widely and we started walking, there was only a direction to go anyway, the subway was on the left side of the parallel street.
I frowned, looking at the puddles on the walkway and paying attention to don't stomp in it, but, having to balance the umbrella for the both of us and him being taller, wasn't making my task easier.
"I can take this.." mumbled him taking the umbrella from my hand, his fingers covering mine for a bit, while substituting my hand with his. I blushed a bit, flustered of my shorter height, and thanked the dull grey clouds to stop sun to light my face and make him notice my pink cheeks.
"So.." he began, stopping as soon as he had started.
"Why were you here?" I blurted out without thinking, leaving my curiousity talking for me.
He smiled at me, seeming happy that I had asked something; my lips curved in a smile unconsciously, my eyes focusing again on the street as his smile had made my feet land in the middle of a puddle.
"My cooking class are not so far from here, that's why I knew the noodle shop from yesterday. And today we finished a hour earlier than usual so..". 
He seemed to really love food, I found myself being curious about the reason but I didn't asked. When we reached the subway, the stair finally gave us shelter from the rain and the noise of the drop on the canopy covered any other sound. 
He closed my umbrella shaking it a bit before closing it and stretching it out to me.
"Thank you". 
I nodded, stealing it from his fingers, caution of not touching him another time as I didn't wanted to blush again.
"I'm going there" I mumbled pointing to the left direction of the subway; was it stupid hoping that he would take the same train?
He didn't. I awkwardly waved at him as I stepped into the turnstile, the sound of the machine startling me like an idiot; he was smiling, waving from the other side, brown soft hair still captured into the wet cap, locks stuck to his forehead, pale skin almost translucent under the neon lights. How much I would like to take a photo right there.
 
 
I almost jumped off my chair when the bell resounded into the corridor til my classroom, the boy seated on the table beside looking at me puzzled for my sudden shift. I was nervous, too nervous, as my feet brought me to my afternoon daily period: draw class. My hands loosened their grip on my bag as I entered the classroom. I was surprised as the entire floor of the room was wrapped in plastic sheets, same went for the stools. People were chatting curiously pointing to it while waiting for the teacher, I glanced at the changing room but, slightly disappointing, there was anybody. 
Noises from the door attracted my attention, the teacher was coming in pulling a big cart; my breath inched as I spotted Sehun helping her pushing it from behind, looking attentively at the content to not fall down. The cart was filled with big cans of paint and black paper rolls.
"Thanks for your help Sehun-sshi".
"You're welcome". He bowed slightly before turning around and his gaze captured me instantly, a smile curving up his lips; He soundlessy greated me with a mouthed 'hello', my hands gripping on my bag as I nodded in return.
"Attention please everyone. Today, you're going to use these materials".
My gaze shifted to the teacher as she was pointing to the black paper sheets.
"There're four 50x70 papers for each one of you, black paper to be exactly. You'll use it as background to paint with white paint".
Peoples started comment, I was excited too; it was cool trying something different sometimes and I smiled expectingly while grabbing my papers and a bowl of white acrylic. I had momentarily forgotten what I was going to draw though; as soon as seated on my stool, my tshirt covered with a old and stained white apron, nervousness found me.
I gasped at the sound of the curtain of the changing room moving and I unconsciously kept my breath in as I heard Sehun's step nearing, bare feet sticking at the plastic underneath.
Why seeing him was so wrong and embarrassing now? I had already draw him countless time!
I breathed out and slowly turned my head to that pale body just few meters from me: he was flawless, as always, but I kept having problem of concentrating on his flesh as I was really embarrassed. That, until he changed position, turning to me, flashing me a brief smile for an instant before retuning stone, grasping the pose. My mouth parted at realization: I could draw his face. Finally, I had completed his image in my mind and it was more and more perfect than what I had managed to image: my fantasies were no where near the real thing..
The slightly creased brows, the high sculptory nose, the bony slim cheeks, the pale lips usually in a strict but soft looking line. 
My white dirtied hands couldn't stay still on the paper; the brush not being enough, thumbs shading themselves his pupil, his mouth.
 
The remaining two hours flew by. As far as I know I had used all the four paper and one of the guy near me, whom didn't used it. It wasn't enough though, and as teacher's voice announced it was time to finish, I blinked out of my trance, slightly disappointed that I couldn't continue.
Sehun eyes shifted into mine and I couldn't say if he was looking at me even before because I couldn't remember, I was too engrossed in the white acrylic.
I returned back to reality when he stood up from the chair, stretching a bit his arms over his head, yawning silently; I shifted my gaze away, embarrassed at the view of his abdomen muscles stretching, his body returning too real, too touchable. I stood up slowly, reaching for the white bowl to return it into the cart and controlling the painting, it was almost dry for the warmth of the room; every student pulled up the plastic underneath their own position, tidying the classroom.
I had just removed the white apron when Sehun exited from the changing room completely dressed and walked to me; I practically panicked, rolling up the black papers and fastly hiding the painted sides.
"I wanted to see".
I jumped, not expecting him to be already at my side, shaking my head furiously.
"No".
He frowned but smiled to me, stepping back and swinging his backpack on a shoulder. I felt guilty for the harsh answer as soon as I realized it but, he didn't left.
"Is Lay Hyung waiting for you today?", asked him making my brow arch: he knew Lay often picked me up?
"I don't know.. Maybe". Taking my bag and papers I hurried to the door, we were practically alone in the class as other students had left. We started walking in the corridor together, not speaking but strangely relaxed in the silent. I picked up my iPod from the pocket of my jacket, ready to use it on the train on the way back home, when his question startled me. 
"What is your favorite group? Are they Korean? Or Chinese?", his eyes were again on me, studying my face, "Or American maybe". He added mumbling.
I looked at him puzzled but fastly thought for an answer: "Depends on moments I think".
A soft smile pushed his mouth corners up, "so, in this moment?"
"Nell", I answered thinking back at some day before, "they relax me. I like listening to the songs and try to distinguish the different instruments". 
He laughed nodding, mumbling something to himself I could't decipher; we were in front of the school gate in about 5 minutes, we had to part so I stopped walking and turned to him.
"Uhm, I guess, I'll see you tomorrow".
He smiled and nodded, looking at my hands with my iPod inside; one of his long finger tapped on my favorite leater cover lightly.
"Careful of not forgetting it again. Bye".
Before I could answer, he had already run to his bus, taking it at the last instant and leaving me there doubfounded. 
 
The same exact routine continued for the week and even if Lay had insisted hundred times that I should had asked his number, I never did. Each afternoon, we had walked together til bus station, me looking around aimlessy in silent, him asking a question por day: Why I had chosen art; Why I had transferred to Korea; If I missed living in China; If I missed someone in China..
I wasn't accustomed at that kind of situation so, I mostly aswered by monosyllables, his attention embarrassing me but also flattering my ego as he seemed interested. For unknown reasons, Lay hadn't arranged to go out all together anymore; I was pretty sure that he and Kai was meeting almost everyday alone and I didn't wanted to disturb them or even admit to him I wanted to see Sehun outside classroom.
 
 
Other two week had passed and I couldn't complain as I got to see Sehun every day of the week except for weekends; maybe for that reason, that Friday's morning my mood wasn't exceptional. It changed though, as my history class was deleted, and I had time to enjoy the sun outside. Summer was coming, there were just a month and a half til summer break and the weather was getting hotter day by day.
With my eyes closed, I rested on the same bench of before. Only a month. I could draw Sehun only for another month. And then?
Maybe we would hang out.
Maybe we would organize a group trip.
Maybe we would call each other.
Maybe we would see each other.
I sighed trying to swap away those thoughts. I knew that he surely wasn't interested at me in that way and I was actually surprised that I was imaging those kind of things. I opened my eyes slowly, vision blurry from the sun, orange dots still blinding me; for a moment I thought I was having vision but then I realized that Sehun was really walking towards me with his slow and swiftly pace.
"Hyung? You're not in class?".
I blushed furiously knowing too well what I was thinking and, thanks god, I was already red from the sun on my light skin so he couldn't notice.
"ah.. No, it was deleted".
Silently, he smiled warmly before seating beside me.
"I heard by Lay you don't like eating much..".
I turned with my mouth gasped open; He and lay had talked? When? How? And why he knew such a thing!? He loved food! He was going to thing I was even more strange.. I mentally noted I had to punch Lay. I mumbled a 'yes' and he frowned a bit.
"Why?". 
"Uhm.. Mostly of the food are horrible to see". I regretted my answer as I finished talking, it was really stupid.
He looked puzzled at first but then he smiled: "So, if it is beautiful, you eat it?".
I nodded shrugging and remembered the simple noodles he ordered for me in that tiny restaurant time ago. I would like to re taste something like that. In the silence, I turned to him but he seemed to be thinking.
"We are learning also how to make the food look good at the course". A strange embarrassed smile was on his face as he gazed on me fastly, turning his head. The sun underlining his soft lineaments with warm rays made me think again at all those 'maybe' from before.
I smiled shifting my gaze away and, not knowing how to answer, I simply muttered a 'good'. I registered his faltering smile as disappoint in my poor enthusiasm for food.
"Let's go to class". 
Sehun, nodding quietly, followed me to draw class and I gulped down nervous; After having though about certain things, seeing him was embarrassing on a whole new level. 
He looked at me before seating on his stool and I frowed as his eyes seemed clouded in worry but, before I could actually say anything, a girl approached him sliding between our gaze. She was giving me her back but I could tell she was flirting with him in her way of moving her body. 
She asked something whispering which obliged Sehun to lean towards her to hear; I jolted in annoyance, diverting my gaze and sharpening my pencil harsly, broking one's tip two times before managing to calm myself. 
When I turned again, the girl was at her stool and Sehun was already posing, following the teacher's instructions. I drew pretty angrily firstly, lines rough and harsh on the paper but then, knowing I was being irrational, I tried to relax for the end of the lesson. 
When the three hours came to an end, I was calm and I slowly took my time in packing my things to wait for Sehun to change. To my dismay, also the girl from before was waiting for him outside the curtains of the changing room; I snorted closing my bag and crossing my arm waiting.
Sehun looked at her surprised while shoving his backpack on a shoulder and, as she handed him a piece of paper smiling cutely, he took it bowing slightly. I thought it was going to end there but, she stopped Sehun's wrist pulling his briefly and murmuring something which made him widen his eyes embarrassed. 
I was angry again. That was so out of my character.
I had actually decided to go out without him when she ran outside the class laughing to herself. Before I could reach the door, Sehun was at my side with a baffled expression on his face; I bite on my lower lip as his hand crumbled the piece of paper in his pocket. He was going to call her? Maybe no. Maybe he had already a girlfriend. I bet he received confession often; He was a normal guy after all. A normal handsome funny gentle straight guy.
My anger boiled again as I started walking faster.
"Hyung, I was thinking..", I flinched as he started to speak, his long legs easily following my fast steps, "I could try cooking something for you. I-I mean, something that looks good so you can eat".
I glanced at him, surprised by the proposal but still blinded by anger from before. What about this fixation of food anyways? I could live even without eat that stupid good food.
"It's not like I'm dying of hunger". I snapped with sarcasm, thing usually foreign to me. 
"Ah.. Well, I know. I was just..".
I ignored him as I spotted Lay at he school's gate. "Lay!".
I thanked whatever was up there in sky as I saw him; all I wanted now was to think about anything else apart from Sehun, that stupid girl and his obsession with food. My anger faded a bit while waving at Lay; I was practically running to him by then but Sehun start talking again.
"Hyung.. I think from next week I won't be..".
The voice of the girl from before, "Sehun-ah! Bye bye!", waving from her car, interrupted him and I rolled my eyed as he blinked his eyes mindlessly and moved slightly a hand. My jaw clenched as I started walking away.
"Hyung! Wait..".
I lifted a hand and stop him from saying more: "Sorry, you'll tell me on Monday ok? Bye".
Walking fast I gripped to Lay's arm and before he could actually answer, we stormed away to the train station.
Lay gasped at my sudden approach, being pulled to the station he stared at me bewildered: "What's wrong with you?!". 
I was asking it myself.
 

...................................................................................................................................................................................................................