Explanations

The Pool Cleaner

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. I bury my face into my pillow and resist the urge to throw up.

I really just kissed Zico. This could ruin everything I built up with him in our friendship. He did say he was gay, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he likes me at all. I had never seen him so quiet before. What if this changes everything...?

I sigh and let my body go limp. There's no use thinking about it now. I figure I'll see Zico's reaction when he comes back tomorrow. For now I just wanna sleep it off.

***

I'm almost asleep when I hear heavy footsteps coming up the stairs. I immediately freeze, closing my eyes again and pretending to sleep. My door slowly opens- I mentally slap myself for not locking it- and the person whom I assume is Zico walks to my bed and kneels down next to me. It's quiet for a long time before the person finally speaks. "Yukwon, I know you're not asleep. Open your eyes."

I do as I'm told and flinch when I come face to face with a very focused-looking Zico. He intently watches me as I squirm under his gaze, looking at anything except for his face.

"Look at me, Yukwon."

I slowly comply and take note of the uncomfortable expression on his face. He points at my bed. "Can I sit down?" He awkwardly asks. I shrug. "I guess." He shuffles over and sits down next to me, our knees touching. Zico clears his throat. "Yukwon," he sighs, running a hand through his close-cut hair. "Why did you kiss me?"

Pain shoots through my chest with his words. Did he really dislike kissing me that much? Maybe I had misjudged Zico after all.

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't think that..." I choke on my words and try my hardest not to cry. Suddenly Zico reaches up and wipes at my cheek. His hand comes back wet. I touch my cheek with my fingertips and realized that I had already been crying.

"Please don't cry. You're making this a lot harder than it needs to be," Zico pleads in an uneven voice.

I narrow my eyes and wipe angrily at my tears. "What am I making harder, Zico?" I spit his name out like acid. He bites his lip and looks to the side. "I talked to your dad."

This catches my attention. "My dad? About what?" Zico grimaces, clenching and unclenching his fists as he talks. "He told me not to talk to you anymore. He said he'd fire me."

I give him an agitated look. "My dad said that?" Zico solemnly nods at me. And for a second, I'm angry. "Zico, that's stupid! Why do you keep talking to me if you know you could be fired? Isn't this your only job?" I challenge him loudly. Zico's hard facade softens, and he looks truly hurt for a second. I start to feel slightly guilty. I open my mouth to apologize, but Zico cuts me off. "This is my only job, but I don't care! I like you, Yukwon! And I don't care what your dad said because honestly, I think you're worth the trouble! I couldn't care less if he fired me!" he declares heatedly, throwing his hands into the air.

I gawk at Zico in surprise and admiration. He's panting and looking at me wearily. There's one part of his speech that I can't get out of my head. "You... like me?"

Zico blinks at me a few times, staring at me in disbelief. "That's all you got out of that?" He asks incredulously. I grab his arm tightly. "Say it again," I order. He his head to the side and raises an eyebrow, staring at me uncertainly. "What? I like you?" I smile and nod my head vigorously. "Yeah. So, you like me? Like, like-like me?" I ask, not caring if I sound childish or not. Zico gives me an amused look and starts to laugh, intertwining our feet. "Yes. I like-like you."

Joy and relief crash over me in waves. Zico's confession gives me the courage to voice my own feelings. "I like-like you too," I confidently state. Zico smiles triumphantly and grabs my hand. "So if I like-like you, and you like-like me, then would you allow me to take you out on a date sometime soon?"

I don't think my smile could get any bigger than it is now. "I'd like that a lot," I softly tell him, squeezing his hand lightly. Zico reaches into his pocket and pulls out a crumpled piece of paper. I watch as he takes a pen from my desk and jots something down, sticking the crinkled paper in front of my face. "Here's my number. You can text me later, if you want," he shyly suggests. I take the number and hold it against my heart. "I will. I'll text you tonight."

Zico nods his head and stands up. "Well, I guess I'll leave, then. My work's all finished up anways." I stand up as well and grab his hand again. "I'll see you tomorrow, right?" I ask him. Zico smirks at me and links our fingers together. "Of course. Tomorrow morning." He hesitates for a second before leaning down and pecking my lips, sending sparks through my body. When Zico pulls back he doesn't look nearly as confident as before. He giggles nervously and lets go of my hand, looking back and forth between my lips and my eyes. "Uh, t-tomorrow then," he stutters, walking towards my door and tripping over a stack of magazines on his way out. He waves at me one last time and ducks through the door.

I giggle at his clumsiness and fall back onto my bed, burying my face in the pillow for the second time that day.

Zico likes me.