02

Opposite Attracts

Chapter 2
“Goguma!” I yelled as I ran to an ahjumma who was selling on the sidewalk. I have to buy one since I’ve really missed eating sweet potato from Korea. And besides, there’s no one buying since this route is a little distant from the city proper.

“Ni Hao.” I bowed and the ahjumma smiled brightly, talking in Chinese. She must be very grateful, someone finally noticed her. I know the feeling. Just like me, first day of school and no one seems to notice me. Then, Mei Mei and Xiao Man approached me. I talked non-stop in Korean.

“Ne, ahjumma. Just one.” I said, pointing my finger. She gave the big and hot one. I gave her money and smiled brightly. I held the goguma and wallet on one hand and the other, reaching out to her. Suddenly, someone snatched my wallet, leaving the goguma on my hand. I put on a shocked face, and ahjumma nudged me to my senses.

That’s when I started to scream and ran after the snatcher.

“Yah!!” I felt breathless after a couple of minutes. That guy could run faster than a normal human.

And clumsy as I am, I tripped by my own foot and landed on the ground, knees supporting my whole weight. I don’t know if I should cry on not. I’m not also sure what my reason of crying should be; from the snatcher or from the clumsy fall I made.

But through it all, I held the goguma on my hand securely. I didn’t want to let go of it or else I’ll miss Korea more. But somehow, I wished the goguma was snatched instead of my wallet.

That wallet was so precious. I have my cards and savings there and the picture of me and my childhood friend. We’ve never seen for years and that was the only thing I own of him.
I tried to stand up using my free hand but someone approached me and looked into me with firm eyes. His hand was pressing me on the ground again.

“Stay there. I’ll go get it.” He said with such soft voice but him, looking at me made me froze and obey to what he said.

I don’t want to believe to what I’m thinking but I think it was Zitao who talked to me just now.

I couldn’t object and insist not to run after the snatcher but he was already far. In the distance, I saw him enter an alleyway. I tried following him, despite of having a bad knee.
I could suddenly hear blows of punches, grunts and whoosh? I peeked and saw Zitao- so it was really him – hitting the snatcher with a long rod. That’s kinda childish of him. I thought carelessly. But his moves were not like a child playing with a stick. I could see him flipping his arms with it and flying on the air! Thus, leaving the man bruised and wounded.

“Hand me her wallet.” Zitao spoke in a low but strict voice. His foot was on the guy’s chest, preventing him from escaping so easily.
“Here! I don’t know what to do with it anymore!” the bad guy threw the wallet to him and ran away. I hid for a bit so that the guy could not see me. Then I turned my back to see Zitao, panting so hard, his chest going back and forth. Finally, he collapsed while holding his waist with a painful face. It was time for me to approach him.

“Zitao!” I knelt before him while I held his shoulders for support. Silly me, I’ve forgotten my wounded knee.
“Are you okay?” I asked him. “Where are you hurt?”

But all he replied was that painful groan I heard when he collapsed. His face was hard to draw from all that caused him.

“I…” he tried to talk with that expression. He’s finally talking to me! “I told you… to stay right… there.”
Our first conversation and he scolded me.
“I wanted to help actually.”
“But you did nothing.” He said trying to stand up. “Take your wallet.”
What? Somehow, I find it rude.
“I’m sorry I couldn’t help you with that guy.” I said helping him stand.
“I know.” He huffed while holding his waist.
“Did you hurt your waist?”
“Don’t bother asking.” He said while trying to walk but he was limping.
“Hey, Zitao!” I called. And he turned to me with a deathly glare. Somehow, I could not get mad.
“I’m sorry.” I don’t know why I said that. His stare made me think I did something wrong to make him mad.
“Why do people keep saying sorry to me? Yet, they did nothing to make me mad.” He sighed painfully.
I ignored him and held his arm.
“I better get you somewhere comfortable.”
“Why?”
“You’re hurt and I wanted to help you ease your pain. And I want to thank you.”
“Just give me your food. I’ll accept that as thanks.”
That’s the first sincere sentence I heard from him.
“Help me to sit somewhere?” he said with anther sincere voice. But his face, his cold stare remained as is. I grabbed his arm again and we walked to the nearest park and sat on the bench.

I sat beside him, a bit farther and watched him eat. I just had to laugh at him because he didn’t peel off the skin of the sweet potato.
“You’re eating it wrong, Zitao!” I laughed. “You have to peel the skin off and enjoy the sweetness of this potato. Here, let me.”

Tao’s POV

Zitao. She called me by Zitao twice and I just loved hearing it. No one calls me that. I stopped liking my name ever since people said that Tao sounded much cooler. It had been years since someone called me Zitao with such a nice voice. She made it sounded more beautiful.

I knew this all along, ever since I saw her, she’s someone who’s going to bring me back to my old self again.
 

*It's a little short that the chapter 1. oh well, Tao's finally trying to open up himself! Thanks for the comments and subscribers. :)