Like Cats On Hot Bricks

Like Cats On Hot Bricks

If there was one thing Minho absolutely hated when he was playing games, it was getting distracted (it wasn’t losing because he never rarely loses). Like now, when he was in the midst of attacking the opposing team on Winning Eleven and controlling his players towards the goal, a phone started ringing. If it was his, Minho wouldn’t give two hoots about it but the fact was that the ringtone was Ke$ha’s Tik Tok which meant the ringing phone could only belong to one other person in the apartment, Minho knew he had no choice but to spare a little attention to it.

“Kibum! Baby! Your phone’s ringing!” Keeping his eyes on the television screen, Minho raised his voice to inform his boyfriend of the incoming call.

“I’m doing the dishes, can you get it for me?”

As he heard Key’s somewhat muffled voice travel from the kitchen, Minho frantically pressed the buttons on the controller, causing his striker to dribble round the defenders before making an attempt on goal. With a decisive press of a button, he watched excitedly as the ball flew towards the goal and landed powerfully in the top left hand corner of the net. Goal! Minho punched his fist in the air and cheered for himself.  

Satisfied, Minho paused the game and quickly reached out for his boyfriend’s vibrating phone on the coffee table, looking at the screen once it was in his hands. The name that flashed on it was enough to make Minho gulp as he got off the sofa and hurriedly walked towards the kitchen of their shared apartment. By then, Key himself could hear the ringtone of his phone loud and clear. He turned around at the accompanying sound of shuffling footsteps coming towards him, but only enough to catch the sight of Minho walking into the kitchen since his hands were all soapy from dishwashing liquid and he didn’t want to break his momentum of washing the dirty plates in the sink.

“Why aren’t you answering it?” Key asked while he continued to soap the dishes.

Minho came to stand next to his boyfriend, leaning back against and almost sitting on the kitchen counter, so Key could see him without turning too much.

He held the phone in front of Key’s face and cleared his throat. “It’s your mum.”

Although Minho and Key had been dating each other long enough to be living together, both of them had never met the other’s family before. Minho was even sure Key’s parents didn’t know about his existence, just like how his parents didn’t know about Key (though they knew he was seeing someone). He wasn’t hurt or upset though, because after all, their circumstances were different from any normal couple.

Key placed the plate that he was holding back into the sink, feeling slightly nervous from the sudden sense of urgency. “Oh. Umm, put me on speaker then. Hurry! Before it-”

“Hello? Kibum?”

As the voice of his mum filled the kitchen, Key shot a glare at Minho for answering the phone so abruptly while he quickly replied to the worried voice.

“Hey… mum… What’s up?”

“What took you so long to answer, honey? I almost wanted to give up.”

“I’m actually washing the dishes…” Key looked down at the soapy dishes waiting to be washed and sighed. Maybe it would be a smart choice to wash the soap off his hands first… and he did just that as he listened to his mother’s reply.

“You are? Did you cook? For yourself? Or do you have friends over?” Key could just imagine his mother fidgeting around in excitement.

“I-“

“Or did you cook for a special someone?”

“Mum!”

Minho smirked while Key stared at his boyfriend dangerously, wordlessly warning him to wipe the smile off his face.

“You did, didn’t you?! Who is… he?”

Key did not miss the hesitation in his mother’s voice but he was thankful that the woman he loved so much had slowly but gradually accepted his uality. Coming out hadn’t been easy, of course it wasn’t. As much as Key seemed like he didn’t give a damn of what people would think of him, he cared about his parents. It was torturous, having to keep his uality to himself, date behind his parents’ backs and face never ending questions from his mum that centred on the topic of girlfriends. He was troubled and his mother knew he was, so when she came to have a heart to heart talk with him (thinking that he was having girlfriend issues), Key couldn’t hide the truth anymore. Coming out to his mum had not been planned but he rather came out to her than continue to deceive her. Things obviously didn’t go too well. It hurt Key to see that his mum was devastated, actually more shocked than upset. There was even a time when he heard his mother cry in her room, asking herself what she did wrong. He tried to change, tried to go out with girls who were interested in him but he wasn’t happy, and his mother could see it too. They didn’t speak about it, discuss about it but one day, when his mum gave him a hug and smiled a smile so warm and beautiful, Key knew everything was alright, that his mum still and would always love him for who he was. He knew though, that his father, on the other hand, was still finding it in him to understand Key’s ual orientation but with his mother’s help, Key wasn’t that much afraid anymore. All he (both his father and him) needed was some time.

“Mum…” Key pleaded as he sneaked glances at his smiling boyfriend. Minho was certainly enjoying this conversation because he could see how Key was with his mother. This different side of Key was certainly very much appealing in a way that Minho just wanted to hug Key and spoil him with whatever he desired.

“Kibum, I want to meet him. I want to know who my son is dating.” His mum’s voice was now stern and Key knew there was no room for arguments.

Key eyed Minho, taking in his boyfriend’s unexplainable expression and then let out a breath defeatedly. “He’s actually listening to our conversation now, you’re on speaker, mum. Say hi, Minho.”

Knowing that the last sentence was directed to him, Minho almost dropped Key’s phone. What dropped instead was his jaw. What was with his boyfriend’s sudden idea to introduce him to his mum?! He widened his eyes in shock and stared helplessly at Key. Key only smiled in response and repeated his words.

“Say hi, Minho.”

“Minho? Is that his name?”

“Yes, I’m Minho. Annyeonghaseyo eomonim! Nice to finally meet, er, not meet, but yeah, talk to you…” Minho closed his eyes at his choice of words, feeling so stupid that this was the first impression he was giving the mother of the guy he loved. It didn’t help that said guy had burst out laughing. An embarrassed Minho poked Key on the side of his waist knowing that his boyfriend was rather sensitive around the area. True enough, Key gasped and instinctively smacked Minho’s arm away. The two exchanged looks with each other, almost looking as if they were about to declare war when a chuckle sounded through the phone.

“Omo, Minho yah, we should meet.”

Before Minho could respond, Key went ahead with answering his mum.

“Mum, could we not-“

“Kibum, all I ask is for one meal together. I can’t even remember when the last time we met was! I don’t expect you to come back to Daegu but I am travelling to Seoul on Saturday, that’s why I called you in the first place. Is it too much if I ask to meet my son? And his boyfriend?”

Not missing his mother’s emphasis on the word “and”, Key tilted his head at Minho who was nodding at him encouragingly.

“Alright mum… how about dinner on Saturday then?”

“Sounds great!”

“Eomonim, where would you like to eat?” Minho decided to speak up.

“Minho yah, let’s not eat out. How about I cook for us? I know Kibummie can cook but let me cook a nice proper meal for you boys instead. I insist.”

Minho looked at Key to silently ask for his opinion and it was Key’s turn to nod.

“Let her cook, she won’t shut up if we try to talk her out of it.”

“Kibummie, I can hear you.”

“I know, mum, I wanted you to hear me.” Key laughed. “So Saturday, mum, should I pick you up at the train station?”

“No, it’s alright honey, I’ll make my way to your apartment instead. Is it the same address that you told me you’re living at?”

“Yes.”

“Okay, don’t worry about me. I am capable enough to handle myself.”

“Mmhmm…”

“Alright alright, I’ll hang up now. See you and Minho on Saturday. Take care honey!”

“You too.”

“Bye Eomonim…”

“Bye Minho!”

And with that, the phone call finally came to an end. Key instantly fell onto Minho, swinging his arms around his boyfriend’s shoulders. Minho was more than happy to pull him into an embrace as he secured his hands on Key’s waist.

“That… was not how I intended for you to meet my parents, or at least my mum.”

“You mean you had plans for me to meet your parents?”

“I did think about it before…”

“Kibum… I’m sorry, we should have talked about this before it actually happened.”

“Don’t be silly, Minho. What’s there to be sorry about? We’ve been together long enough to know our circumstances…”

Minho lifted Key’s chin towards him and leaned down a little to press a kiss on his boyfriend’s slightly parted lips.

“I love you.” It was Minho’s promise to Key, that he was willing to go through whatever it took to be together with Key, that he was going to leave the best impression on Key’s mother and more importantly, that he would be there for Key unconditionally and beat all odds just to be with him.

Key returned the kiss and grinned at his boyfriend. “Love me enough to wash the dishes for me?”

Minho shook his head. “I’ll do that later because I rather do something else now.”

“What?”

“You.”

“Oh god, how are you going to meet my mum like this?”

“Let’s worry about that when Saturday comes.” Minho laughed as his hands found its way under Key’s shirt. “Here or the bedroom?”

“Why not the living room?”

“It’s fine with me if you want to do it there….” Minho smirked as he trailed kisses along Key’s neck.

Key rolled his eyes while holding on to his boyfriend’s shoulders. “The bedroom, Minho, bedroom.” 

Minho laughed as he maneuvered himself and his boyfriend through the furniture towards the direction of their bedroom. Looks like he was going to get dessert after all…

 

Key opened his eyes as if he hadn’t slept six hours at all. It felt like he had just blinked but the time on his clock proved otherwise. It was coming to 10am but more importantly, Saturday had finally arrived. He blinked a couple of times for his eyes to adjust to the bright sunlight that shone into his room before turning to his left where Minho slept. It was then he realised he wasn’t the only one who was awake. Minho had his eyes wide open like Bambi as he stared at the ceiling of their bedroom.

“Did you sleep?” Key’s voice was rough with sleep but his question was heard loud and clear.

Minho took his eyes away from the ceiling and rolled to lie on his side to face Key.

“Barely.”

“Nervous?”

“Nervous would be an understatement.”

“If it helps, you’re not the only one.”

“What’s there for you to be nervous about?”

“Minho, the two people I treasure the most are meeting each other tonight, do you think I can’t be nervous?”

“It feels like judgement day for me.”

“You know what’s funny?”

“Hmm?”

“We’re freaking out like it’s the end of the world but I bet my mum is as casual as can be.”

“So should we be cool about it?”

“That would be best.”

“Kibum…”

“Yeah?”

“Let’s pray.”

And for the first time in a long while, both Minho and Key said a little prayer.

 

“You know, baby, we’ve been together for almost 4 years, no offence but this is one of the rare times I feel like we’re really a couple.”

“Tell me about it.” Key gave a slight smile as he looked at the time on his phone, less than 15 minutes until his mum arrived. “Shall we run through some routine questions then?”

“Sure…” Minho grinned as he opened his hand, palm up, for Key to place his hand into. “First up! How do I look?”

“Good looking enough for my mum to wish you were her son.” Key answered, but if he were to be completely honest, he would say Minho looked absolutely dashing with his crisp white button down shirt and denim jeans that fit his body perfectly. “Me?”

“You know you always look great, Bummie.” Minho interlocked his fingers with Key’s and squeezed his hand, openly checking out his boyfriend who decided to tone down on his usual outstanding fashion sense, choosing instead to wear a slightly oversized grey t-shirt (which, Minho noticed, revealed his milky skin and well-defined collar bones) tucked into his black skinnies.

“What if your mum hates me?” Routine question number two, checked.

“She won’t.” Routine answer number two, checked. And just for the sake of it, Key added. “And even if she does, she can’t stop me from loving you.”

Minho and Key shared a laugh with each other, amused by themselves and their ability to act out a cliché scene in movies.

“Seriously now, we should stop treating this like some job interview.” Key said as he played with Minho’s hand. “It’s just my mum. You know, at the end of all this, we’ll be looking back and laughing at how silly we were getting all freaked out.”

“I guess that’s all part of the experience.”

“Yeah…” Key squeezed Minho’s hand as a little act of encouragement. “All that you have to do is be yourself, baby, and you’ll pass my mum’s test… that is if she has one.”

“Test huh? Then can I get a good luck kiss?”

Without hesitating, Key pulled Minho down towards him and kissed him full on the lips. “There you go… but seriously Minho, stop with the corny lines, especially when you’re about to meet my mum in any time now.”

And as if Key had some psychic powers, the doorbell sounded.

Judgment day had arrived 10 minutes early.

Author's Note: oh wow, having subscribers means so much to me. so thank you for subscribing and reading! hope the first part would be up to your expectations. i'll be working to finish the rest of this up now! comments would be loved. :)