Bad Girl, Good Girl

I'm Living Where??

 

 “So, how do I look?” I finished pinning my hair up into a bun and stepped into the main room. I was wearing the nicest things I had brought from my old home; a loose fitting, white V-neck shirt, black skinny-jeans, and simple black high-tops. I didn’t want to look like a complete bum for AJ’s birthday, and first impressions are everything.

 “Wow, I never knew that you actually had a sense of style. Oh, but that’s right, AJ’s your bias. Silly of me to forget something that could possibly show up in a conversation tonight.” The corner of his moth twitched up into a smile as he motioned me out of the apartment. This guy really is going to be the end of me.

 “Riiiiight, and see how that one works out for you.” Rolling my eyes, I followed him out of the building. It was a cool night, there was a slight breeze and you could just catch a glimpse of the stars above the street lights. I had left my camera back in the apartment and just planned on using my iPhone for tonight. Eli had called over a taxi to take us to the place he had planned out for tonight. “So where exactly are we going?” I glanced out the window at unfamiliar buildings. Mari hadn’t taken me here when she showed me around. This place was filled with small businesses and restaurants where as she took me to the heart of the city.

 “We’re going to a sushi bar. AJ took me there once and I liked it. It’s tourist friendly too so you can order on your own without worrying about a language barrier. See, all planned out. Like a boss.” I had to admit, he was kind of right. He certainly was no boss yet but this was a pretty big step into becoming one. He pulled out his phone and started texting someone, who was most likely AJ, as the taxi came to a stop at a small building with display boxes filled with different meals outside. On the window was an open sign along with white text saying American Style Sushi in English and, what I assumed was the same, in Korean below it. “Jaeseop said that he’ll be here in a few minutes so we can head in and get a table.” We exited the taxi, Eli paid the driver and we made our way inside.

 “Whoa.” Was the only word that I could think of as I entered through the glass doors. Instantly the smell of fresh fish and spices filled my lungs. White Christmas hung from the walls cast a comforting glow throughout the building. Tables were neatly set around the middle of the restaurant while booths lined the walls and a bar sat in the back. I sat in the chair across for Eli at the table closest to the bar. I looked around nervously. I really hoped that nobody recognized them; I don’t think that I could stand for squealing fan-girls tonight. “So, how much longer until he’s here? I don’t mean to rush or anything but, you know, I’m not the most patient person.”

 “Don’t I know that. But he said that he had to unload some fan-mail which was about 10 minutes ago, so any moment- Hey! Talk about perfect timing, Jaeseop over here,” Eli shouted and waved over our guest. He walked over and looked in my direction.

 “You must be Skylar. Eli’s explained that you don’t speak Korean yet so I’ll try my best to work with that and speak English,” he bowed slightly and took the seat next to Eli, “So, where’s my present? I was expecting something big… like a pony.” I snorted back a laugh as I grinned ear to ear. Eli had a sinister smile across his face as he smacked AJ on the back of his head.

 “Yah, your present is me paying for your meal and blessing you with the presence which is me! But, on the other hand, I don’t think Little Miss Pain here has anything. How rude.” He clicked his tongue while puffing out his cheeks, leaving me flustered. I had never really thought of bringing a present before now. I mentally slapped myself on the forehead.

 Smiling sweetly, I tried to think of an excuse, “I-I-I-I think….. I think we should order. I’m feeling extremely hungry right now and I think you two are too! I mean, just listen to the sound of your stomachs!” Sounding as innocent as possible, I tried my best growling stomach impersonation and wrapped my arms around my waist. I didn’t realize that in the midst of my awkward facial expressions and noises, Eli had called over a waitress. It wasn’t until I felt a slight tapping on my foot and looked over at AJ’s warning expression that I noticed the somewhat disturbed waitress and amused Eli. Great, way to give foreigners a good name. Good job Skylar…

 AJ spoke up while I tried to regain my composer, “Ha! That was hilarious Skylar! Oh, excuse me miss. Could I please have the sashimi platter,” he switched to Korean and looked back over at me, “What do you want? I’ll order.” I didn’t even want to see my face. In my mind, I pictured a cool, calm, collected me.  In reality, I was probably blushing like crazy and wide eyed. I turned in the other direction to hide my face only to see Eli look from AJ to myself and wink, confirming what I thought I really looked like.

 I would not let him get to me like that! I knew that he’d be expecting this from me so putting on my best poker face, I sweetly smiled at AJ, “It’s fine, I know exactly what I’m having,” I faced the waitress, “I apologize for that little scene earlier it was inappropriate of me. Um, may I please have some California Rolls?” I nodded my head in thanks as she bowed and walked off. I kicked his knee and laughed at his reaction.

 “Ow! What do you think a fan would do if they saw you do that? They’d follow us home and kill you in your sleep.”

 “That would also mean that you would be questioned about having a female living with you and everybody would know where you live. Eli, I swear that you don’t think before you do. You treat your cousin like crap and you don’t even bring me a pony. I’m ashamed in you hyung, I was looking forward to a pony.” This is going to be the start of a wonderful friendship. I thought while smiling to myself. Eli only mumbled something to himself and brought out his phone. The rest of the evening was spent getting to know each other and just talking. Eli and I had ordered a secret cake that came with a quartet singing ‘Happy Birthday’ and AJ seemed extremely excited as he blew out the candles. Throughout the get-together, they had both successfully taught me a couple Korean phrases that I had now practically tattooed into my brain. We all swapped and shared our meals while laughing throughout the night. Of course a few mini-fights broke out between Eli and me but for some reason, all AJ did was bring up the pony he supposedly wanted and everything just seemed to cool down. I took a few pictures of them and with them and promised to send them to AJ as soon as I got the chance. I was fairly proud of myself too; I barely acted different in front of AJ then I would to Eli. After everything was eaten, Eli and I split the bill and we headed out to the front where we waited for a taxi.

 “It was great meeting you AJ and happy birthday. I promise that next time I’ll buy you the best pony there is. I’ll even throw in a pigeon for free! Act now for this limited time offer!” I threw on my cheesiest smile while Eli scoffed in the background. “Oh hush, I think it would only strengthen your image!”

 “My image is already perfect, why would I need someone like you to help me with it? Now come on, we need to catch a taxi and hyung needs to get home too. We have a schedule tomorrow unlike you who just sits home.” With that, he waved bye to AJ and started off towards a busier area for a taxi.

 “Uh, well, he’s right. We do have a schedule tomorrow and I’ll need as much rest as possible. Nice meeting you and Eli has my number so just get it from him since it seems like he got a taxi and is getting ready to leave.” I turned hurriedly turned around to see Eli shutting the door to the taxi. Eyes gone wide, I darted towards the vehicle at full speed, yelling for the driver to wait.

 I reached the taxi just as he was about pull out and jumped in. I rolled down the window and waved goodbye to AJ before putting the death glare onto a certain jerk cousin of mine. “Thanks for waiting, I really appreciated it.” I let the sarcasm flow as we stared each other down. He just can’t give me a break, can he?

 “You’re welcome, Pain. Or should I change your name to Googly Eyes considering that that’s all you gave AJ. ‘Oh, it’s nice to meet you,’ “No, really? You must be very tired with all that work,’”, He imitated my voice to where I apparently sound like a dying dolphin, “All I got was a prank call to your mom.”

 I jabbed my elbow into his side and scooted closer to the crook between the car seat and door. “I was not giving googly eyes! I was merely being polite to a guest.” I wasn’t… was I? I only could think of one time where that might’ve happened but it was when he said that he’d order for me. That was the only time I was aware of it at least.

 “You were politer to him than me, and I was letting you live with me. Ah! Don’t even,” He cut me off before I could say anything, “Don’t say it was because we were family. That’s one thing we’ll have to work on when I teach you, how to respect everyone. That selective respect won’t fly here.”

 I didn’t have selective respect. Unless you counted him being the selected person in the mix. “Hey now, I’m respectful. Just not… to certain people. And since I take you for a pigeon, technically you’re not a person, you’re a bird. So ha di di ha ha ha!” I stuck my tongue out at him and smiled.

 “Well pigeons don’t feed house people so I guess you need to start looking for a place to live.”

 “Huh? What do you-,” He leaned over and ruffled my hair and patted my head non to gently.

 “I’m kidding, babo.”  What a jerk…

 

 

What a terrible chapter! I can't believe I give you guys THIS after not updating this long. I was going to update on Sunday but a tropical storm hit the Gulf region and guess who's county is right on the Gulf? Yup... So the power was out from Sunday morning to Monday morning. Internet was back up around noonish yesterday but because i accidently hit "don't save" half of this chapter was erased. So, in result, you get a poopy rushed chapter and an awesome poster. Yeah, you see that poster? It was done by the amazingly talented chibixchibi at The Muffin's shop. If anybody needs a poster, go there. You will not be dissapointed!