Scenario II

What If...?

*~*

Scenario II: What If Bomi Only Had Three Months Left to Live and Spend With Chorong?

Requested By: trulybliss

Words: ~5516

Genre: Romance/Tragedy

 Rating: PG-13

Author's Note: Hi everyone ^^;; This scenario was...difficult to write. Very difficult ><;; The tragedy portion of the request really pushed me to my limits as a writer, considering I've never written anything remotely sad before...But hopefully my hard work yielded good results...?

This is a pretty long oneshot--a whopping 5000 words o.o;; You might wanna grab a snack/drink before starting, because this oneshot is something that leaves the best impression if read through all at once. And it might give you a mood whiplash if you just finished reading Scenario I, sorry ^^;;

Things to Note Before Reading:

*This is a college au, A Pink doesn't exist and Chomi aren't working together in the idol industry, but they go to the same university in Seoul+are roommates.

*Bomi is a freshman(19 in international age) and Chorong is a junior(21 in international age).

*I'm basing their looks/hair color off how they looked during Hush promotions. So Chorong has red (auburn) hair and Bomi has more of a browner, yet slightly red (chestnut) hair color.

*In Korea, girls give the boys they like chocolate on Valentine's Day (Feb 14th) and expect candy back on White Day (March 14th).

*Unnie is what all Korean girls call any female who is older than them/can't be considered an old woman.

*Noona has the same meaning as unnie, but strictly boys use the term.

*'Yang' is an ending added onto the names of girls by older people who aren't too familiar with them.

And please feel free to leave comments/criticism, they are welcomed! ^^ Requests are highly appreciated too! And without further ado, enjoy~

*~*

 

November 30th, 2012

 

Flurries of white crystals surround them as a piercing cold wind rushes by, and Chorong snuggles closer to Bomi.

 

“Snow already?” the auburn haired girl mutters as she squints into the distance. “It’s only November…”

 

Bomi’s heart flutters a little at their closeness, but she chooses to ignore the feeling. She wraps an arm around her shivering friend, bringing them closer together.

 

“It’s a little weird,” Bomi agrees. She scrunches her frozen nose. “I can’t feel my face…”

 

Looking at her roommate’s attempt to regain the circulation in her face, Chorong bursts into a fit of giggles.

 

“Yah, Bomi-ah, stop being so embarrassing,” Chorong laughs as she pushes her junior lightly.

 

Bomi laughs too, but is cut off when her boot slides across a frozen puddle. She yelps as both of the girls tumble onto the pavement together, Chorong landing on top of Bomi. Feeling a sharp pain in her chest, Bomi winces.

 

“Ow ow,” Chorong grimaces, pushing herself off her flattened friend. “Watch where you’re walking, Bomi-ah.”

 

Bomi gasps for air, feeling as though a pin is being rammed into her chest. She slowly gets to her knees, her face contorted in pain.

 

“Bomi-ah,” the older girl leans down in front of her, concerned. “Are you okay?”

 

“Y-yeah, I’m fine,” the brown haired girl coughs, smiling. “I just lost my breath because you’re so heavy, Chorong-unnie.”

 

“Yah! Who are you calling fat?!”

 

Grabbing her laughing junior in a headlock, Chorong pouts angrily. “What a rude junior I have!”

 

Bomi laughs, until suddenly pain lances up her left arm. This time she can’t help but cry out in pain.

 

“Bomi-ah?” Chorong’s eyes widen, and she loosens her grip on the coughing girl. “Hey, what’s wrong?”

 

Bomi drops to her knees, unable to stop her coughing fit. She clutches her chest, eyes tightly shut. Chorong’s panicked voice becomes muffled as Bomi’s erratic heartbeat drums against her ears. She briefly opens her eyes, only to see red patches of blood staining the white snow in front of her. She vaguely registers strong arms wrapping around her as she falls, succumbing to the darkness.

 

December 1st, 2012

 

Bomi’s eyes flutter open, squinting when she is met with the sight of a bright white ceiling. A dull pain throbs at her chest, and she makes a movement to feel it, only to find a pressure holding her right arm down. The brunette smiles lightly when she sees Chorong’s sleeping figure seated next to her bed, the older girl’s fingers intertwined with her own.

 

Bomi lifts her other arm, only to yelp when pain shoots up her elbow.

 

Chorong jerks awake at the sound of her friend’s voice, and she looks at Bomi worriedly.

 

“Bomi-ah, you’re awake,” the older girl gasps, jumping up. “I’ll go get the doctor!”

 

The auburn haired girl rushes out of the room, quickly returning with a round man in tow.

 

“Hello, Bomi-yang,” the man smiles at her, adjusting his glasses. “My name’s Dr. Choi.”

 

“Hello,” Bomi bows politely, wincing slightly at the pain the movement causes.

 

“Chorong-yang, would it be alright if I spoke with Bomi alone for a little bit?”

 

“Ah, sure,” Chorong nods. “I’ll wait outside.”

 

Bomi watches as Dr. Choi closes the door behind him before taking a seat on the stool next to her bed. He sighs quietly, before whipping out a clipboard.

 

“How are you feeling, Bomi-yang?”

 

“Well, my chest kind of hurts…” she admits, taking note of the dull throbbing in her chest. “Is…there something wrong with me, Doctor?”

Sighing, the doctor runs a hand through his short hair before crossing his arms.

 

“Bomi-yang,” he starts, pinching the bridge of his nose. “We ran some tests and you’ve been diagnosed with a rare heart disease called Cardiomyopathy.”

 

“Cardio…myopathy?”

 

“There are many different types of this heart condition, and yours happens to be one of the most rare and unexplainable. Unfortunately, this means that you can’t take medications or have a transplant and expect the condition to be cured,” Dr. Choi continues. He bites his lip, shaking his head. “Based on past cases and the condition of your heart right now, I’m afraid that you only have three months at most to live before your heart gives out.”

 

Three months.

 

90 days.

 

Bomi’s heart pounds against her chest, as if mocking her, and suddenly it’s hard to breathe. Tears sting at her eyes, and she lets out a shuddering breath.

 

“Th-three m-months?” she stammers, her voice trembling.

 

“I’m so sorry,” the doctor says solemnly. “I’ve only notified your family about this and they are making their way up to Seoul as we speak. I’ll give you some time alone; I’ll come back in a bit to tell you what your next options are.”

 

But Bomi isn’t listening, her mind still in a state of shock.

 

Three months to live, he said. Three months until you die.

 

And her world comes crashing down.

 

*~*

 

She is broken out of her stupor when someone knocks at the door.

 

“Bomi-ah, can I come in?” Chorong’s soft voice calls in from outside.

 

“Y-yeah, sure,” Bomi replies shakily, hastily dabbing her wet eyes.

 

“So, are you going to be okay?” Chorong asks uneasily as she takes a seat next to her friend.

 

Three months to live.The cruel words echo in Bomi’s head, and she desperately tries to push back the thought.

 

“Yup, that fall just caused an old wound from taekwondo to open,” Bomi lies, plastering a fake smile on her face. “I’ll be completely healed in a week or so.”

 

She decides that Chorong can’t know the truth, for the older girl is far too fragile. She will break if she finds out, and the last thing Bomi wants to do is hurt her best friend.

 

“That’s great!” Chorong sighs in relief. “I was so worried, Bomi-ah…”

 

The older girl frowns as she blinks back her tears, refusing to cry in front of her junior. Shaking her head, she places a hand on Bomi’s cheek.

 

“I’m glad you’re okay, Bomi-ah. You don’t know how much you mean to me.”

 

The younger girl’s face heats up at Chorong’s words, and her heart sinks, knowing that she only has three months left to spend with her beloved friend.

 

Getting up, Chorong smiles warmly at her friend. “I’ll come visit again tomorrow, okay?”

 

Without realizing it, Bomi’s hand shoots out, latching onto Chorong’s wrist.

 

“Wait!” she exclaims, her heart racing. “I have something to tell you.”

 

The auburn haired girl looks at her friend in confusion. “What is it?”

 

Bomi takes a deep breath, matching her gaze with Chorong’s. It’s now or never.

 

“I like you unnie.”

 

The older girl’s eyes widen, her cheeks turning pink. “Wh-what?”

 

“I’ve liked you a long time now, Chorong-unnie,” Bomi confesses, her gaze shifting to the side. “When I’m better, will you go out with me?” Her face is bright red and she looks down, embarrassed.

 

Chorong giggles, causing Bomi to look up in surprise at her blushing roommate.

 

“I thought you’d never ask,” she winks. “I like you too, Bomi-ah, let’s go out.”

 

Bomi dazedly watches the older girl practically skip out of the room. Then she frowns, feeling the guilt take root in her heart. Bomi knows she’s being selfish for leading Chorong on when she’s well aware of her certain death in the near future. But Bomi couldn’t help it—something had unconsciously spurred her to confess her feelings, despite the heartbreak that it will undeniably lead to.

 


She grips her sheets tightly, a million different emotions running through her head.

 

What have I done…?

 

December 8th, 2012

 

The sun peeks out from behind the horizon, painting the sky red. As Bomi breathes in the crisp winter air, she sighs, happy to finally be out of her cramped hospital room.

 

“Wow, I feel like I just came out of hibernation,” Bomi sighs happily, her arms stretched out to her sides.

 

Her vision suddenly goes black when a pair of hands covers her eyes.

 

“Give me all your money, a failed attempt at a gruff voice whispers into her ear, and she laughs.

 

“Chorong-unnie, I can tell it’s you.”

 

“Yah, you’re supposed to say ‘I don’t know,’” Chorong pouts cutely as she lowers her hands, and Bomi grins, enveloping her roommate in a tight hug.

 

“I missed you unnie~”

 

“I didn’t miss you,” the older girl bluntly replies, unmoving in Bomi’s arms. “Stop hugging me.”

 

The younger girl chuckles at Chorong’s antics, tightening her hold on the auburn haired girl. Bringing out her best attempt at aegyo, she retorts, “But I like you so much, Chorong-unnie~”

 

Bomi smiles triumphantly when Chorong’s lips curve upward, her cheeks slightly coloring.

 

“Okay, fine.” Chorong smacks her hand on Bomi’s bottom. “I like you too, Bomi-ah!”

 

“Ahh, unnie…” The younger girl whines, rubbing her sore rump. “That’s not how you treat someone who just got discharged from the hospital…”

 

Her friend merely laughs, before lacing her fingers in between Bomi’s, causing the younger girl to jerk slightly. Chorong turns to face her junior, excitement evident in her garnet orbs.

 

“I have a surprise for you.”

 

*~*

 

“Wow…”

 

Bomi gapes at the sight before her. Hundreds of colored light hang on the branches of a giant oak tree, flickering. The flashing lights illuminate the darkness around them, painting the snow with vivid colors. “This is amazing…”

 

Chorong smiles proudly. “Do you like it Bomi-ah?”

 

“Yeah…How…?” Bomi turns to her senior, her expression one of disbelief. “Isn’t this a public park?”

 

“My mom has some connections with the owner of this park, and since it’s closed for the winter, he let me have the key.”

 

The amazed girl steps forward, until she is under the massive branches, staring up at the blinking lights up above. “You shouldn’t have….”

 

Chorong’s arms snake around Bomi’s waist, the older girl hugging her from behind. The auburn haired girl rests her chin on Bomi’s shoulder. “I wanted to, Bomi-ah.”

 

The younger girl swallows, suddenly overcome with nervousness from their position. Her heart skips a beat when Chorong pushes her body against Bomi’s back.

 

“Bomi-ah,” Chorong’s whisper sends chills up her spine. “This is our secret place. Here, we can do whatever we want.”

 

The older girl lets go of Bomi, stepping back. Hesitantly, the younger girl turns around. Her heart pounds as she meets Chorong’s gaze, her senior’s face illuminated by the lights above. She grabs Chorong’s waist, suddenly overcome with desire.

 

“Chorong-unnie…” they are mere centimeters apart, staring into each other’s eyes.

 

“Mmm…?” Chorong leans in, her eyes sliding shut.

 

Their lips finally meet, and an electric shock runs through Bomi’s body. It is unlike anything she has ever felt before. Her eyelids flutter closed, and she pulls Chorong closer, deepening the kiss.

 

It is under that tree, Chorong and Bomi share their first kiss.

 

December 20th, 2012

 

“You’ve got a message!”

 

A chirpy electronic voice pulls Bomi out of her slumber, and she groans.

 

“Five more minutes…”

 

Next to her, she hears Chorong’s melodious laughter. The older girl Bomi’s hair, before pushing herself off the couch.

 

“Bomi-ah, your mom’s wondering where you are,” she says quietly, kneeling down in front of the younger girl’s face. She says you have a doctor's appointment.

 

“Can’t I have just one nap with my girlfriend in peace? Geez…” Bomi complains as she reluctantly sits up and stretches.

 

“Bomi-ah, when did you become such a sleepyhead?”

 

“Ever since I got a comfy new pillow called ‘Chorong’~”

 

“Yah Yoon Bomi, stop being such a weirdo!”

 

Bomi laughs as she grabs her jacket, before looking at Chorong’s phone. “You know, you should really change that sound for text messages—that voice is really annoying to wake up to.”

 

“Then what should I change it to?”

 

“Here, give me that,” Bomi says as she takes the older girl’s phone. Briefly fumbling with the keys, she begins recording. “Chorong-unnie, yoooooou’ve got a message~”

 

Chorong bursts into laughter hearing her junior’s bizarre voice. Bomi hands the phone back to her laughing friend.

 

“There, now only my beautiful voice will interrupt our naps,” Bomi chuckles at her own ridiculousness.

 

The chestnut haired girl jumps when a hand snakes into her pocket. Chorong smiles at Bomi cheekily, Bomi’s phone in hand.

 

“Me too,” the older girl giggles, before using her baby-ish voice to record her message. “Bomi-ahhhh, it’s a new message~”

 

“Yah, that’s not fair,” Bomi frowns as she reaches for her phone. “How come you get to sound all cute while I just sound obnoxious?”

 

“You’re the one who chose to record yours like that, stupid!”

 

“Let me redo mine!”

 

“No way!”

 

Chorong stretches her arm up, when Bomi tries to snatch her phone, leaning against her roommate. The older girl shrieks when she loses her footing. They fall on the couch together, Bomi trying to wrestle Chorong’s phone out of her laughing friend’s iron grip.

 

“Chorong-unnie, yoooooou’ve got a message~”

 

Both girls whip their heads up, staring at the phone in Chorong’s hands. A short silence ensues, before they promptly burst into laughter.

 

January 18th, 2013

 

“Snow day!!” Bomi hollers as she lands in a mound of snow face first. She whips her head up, her face covered with snow. “C-c-cold!”

 

Chorong laughs and jumps into the snow next to Bomi, staring up at the giant tree curling over them.

 

“This is great,” the older girl sighs. “I seriously needed a break from my classes.”

 

Nodding her head vigorously, Bomi agrees. “Me too.”

 

“Hey,” Bomi sits up abruptly. “Let’s make a snowman and wrap him with some of the lights on the tree.”

 

“Okay, I’ll make the head and you make the body.”

 

“That’s not fair,” the chestnut haired girl whines. “The body’s like twice as big!”

 

“Deal with it, I’m older so what I say, goes,” Chorong smirks.

 

“Cold girl…”

 

“What did you say?”

 

“N-nothing!”

 

Kneeling down, they begin their work rolling the snow. Bomi is halfway done when a chunk of snow hits her back.

 

“Yah,” Bomi whips around, glaring at her roommate’s mischievous smile. “What was that for?!”

 

“Yoon Bomi, I’m declaring war on you!” her girlfriend announces dramatically, throwing another snowball.

 

“Wait, where’s your part of the snowman?!” Bomi cries as she ducks down behind the snowman’s unfinished body.

 

“He sacrificed himself to become part of my ammo,” Chorong grins evilly. “Now come out and fight like a man!”

 

Hastily forging her own snowballs, Bomi leaps out with a battlecry. She begins her assault and Chorong screams, laughing as she runs away from her roaring friend. “It’s the attack of Yoonrilla!!”

 

The war continues, the girls pelting each other with ice until Bomi feels a dull ache in her chest. Panting, she falls with her back on the snow. She raises her arm in the air, waving an invisible flag.

 

“Yah, I give up! I’m exhausted.”

 

“Giving up already?” Chorong pants, standing over the younger girl. “That’s pathetic, Bomi-ah.”

 

“Hey, I haven’t gone to taekwondo or dance class in months, of course I’m out of shape!”

 

“Well then,” Chorong starts, a playful glint appearing in her eyes. “It’s time for the loser’s punishment!”

 

“Wha—”

 

Bomi has little time to react before Chorong pins her down by her wrists. The older girl leans down, staring into Bomi’s wide eyes, and she whispers, “For the next seven minutes, you’re mine…”

 

Bomi’s heart skips a beat as their lips meet, and her eyelids flutter closed. As Chorong deepens the kiss, Bomi’s heart soars, warmth encompassing her body.

 

It’s during moments like this—when they’re the only two people who matter in the world—Bomi’s only wish is for God to give her more time.

 

February 14th, 2013

 

“The final tests came in, and it’s just as we expected,” Dr. Choi sighs. He flips through the papers on his clipboard, shaking his head. “There’s no sign of improvement, I’m sorry.”

 

“Um…Can I ask a question?”

 

“By all means.”

 

“How…” Bomi swallows before continuing. “How will I know when…it’s happening?”

 

“When it happens…” He starts, staring at nothing in particular. “You’ll probably feel the same pain as your first ‘episode.’ It’ll be exactly like it, in terms of symptoms and pain, but afterwards…”

 

“I won’t wake up…right?”

 

“Yes, but try not to worry about it yet,” Dr. Choi places a reassuring hand on the chestnut haired girl’s shoulder. “If it’s you, I’m sure it won’t happen for a while.”

 

He smiles knowingly before adding, “And besides, I have a feeling there’s someone you want to be with right now on Valentine’s Day, right Bomi-yang?”

 

Flushing a little, Bomi nods shyly. “Yeah, there is.”

 

“Then get going already, and I’ll see you next week!”

 

“Thank you Dr. Choi,” Bomi laughs and bows before closing the door behind her.

 

“Bomi-ahhhh, it’s a new message~”

 

Smiling dumbly at the sound of Chorong’s voice, Bomi unlocks her phone.

 

[Yah, Yoon Bomi! You’ve got some nerve being late to a date on Valentine’s Day…]

 

Bomi blanches, before hastily sending a reply. “Shoot, I’m late…”

 

She quickly makes her way out of the hospital, grabbing a taxi in front of the entrance.

 

*~*

 

Opening the gate to the park, Bomi checks the time before hurrying her pace. She skips two stairs at a time, ignoring the slight pinching of her chest the movements cause. When she finally makes it to the top, she spots an auburn haired girl seated on ground beneath the giant oak tree.

 

“Chorong-unnie!” Bomi calls, and Chorong turns around, smiling when she recognizes her junior.

 

Running up to her girlfriend, Bomi pants, “Sorry I’m late.”

 

Slinging her arm over the younger girl’s shoulder, Chorong feigns anger. “I’ll forgive you this one time, Yoon Bomi. But only because it’s Valentine’s Day.”

 

From behind her back, Chorong brings out a cutely wrapped box of chocolates. Pushing it against Bomi’s jacket, she turns to her friend. “This for you, Bomi-ah.”

 

“You shouldn’t have…” Bomi cheeks redden as she accepts the present. She looks down at the foil wrapping before the realization dawns on her. “Wait, does this mean I’m the guy in the relationship?!”

 

Laughing, Chorong hugs the girl from the side. “Yep, from now on you have to call me noona~”

 

“Unnie…” Bomi whines, wriggling in Chorong’s grasp. “Don’t bully me…”

 

“What? Are you talking to me?” Chorong smiles cheekily.

 

“Ah, Chorong-unnie…”

 

“I can’t hear you~”

 

“N-noona…” Bomi finally gives in, looking to the ground in embarrassment.

 

Seeing her junior’s bright red face, Chorong laughs even more. She tightens her hug on the flustered girl before pinching her red cheek.

 

“I’m sorry, Bomi-ah,” the older girl pats her roommate as they lean against the trunk of the oak tree. “But you’re just too cute when you’re being bullied~”

 

“Seriously, unnie…” Bomi hits Chorong’s thigh lightly, whining. They look at each other and smile, knowing that Bomi has already forgiven the older girl.

 

A comfortable silence falls over them, and they lean on each other peacefully, listening to the wind swirl around them.

 

“Bomi-ah, you better get me something awesome for White Day,” Chorong mumbles as she rests her head on the younger girl’s shoulder. “Like chicken feet.”

 

“That’s not a type of candy, unnie,” Bomi laughs, amused at her girlfriend’s unmatched love for the dish.

 

Looking up at the bare branches of the oak tree, the chestnut haired girl thinks about the date of White Day, March 14th. Leaning her head on top of Chorong’s, she closes her eyes, hoping that maybe, just maybe, she will be able to survive until then.

 

February 28th, 2013

 

“It’s been exactly three months since you first came in...”

 

“That’s right.”

 

“Well at this point,” Dr. Choi beams. “I can only congratulate you for making it this far, Bomi-yang.”

 

“Thanks,” Bomi smiles lightly, looking down at her lap. “So what happens now?”

 

“You continue living your life. My only advice is to live these last days to the fullest, because from now on, there’s no telling when…it will happen.”

 

“Mmhmm,” Bomi swallows, dry.

 

“I would like to see you one last time this week, however; to monitor how you’re doing. Just in case. Maybe in three days?”

 

“March 3rd?” Bomi asks, looking up.

 

“Is that an inconvenient day for you?”

 

“Oh, no no, it’s fine.”

 

“Great, I’ll see you then.”

 

“Y-yep, bye.”

 

It’s awkward, because they’re both well aware that she very well may not make it to her last appointment. But Bomi can tell Dr. Choi has a lot of faith in her perseverance.

 

As Bomi exits the hospital, she sighs. In reality, March 3rd is the date of Chorong’s birthday, and Bomi feels a bit guilty for scheduling an appointment on such a special day. But she knows her girlfriend has a few classes that day anyways, so she can afford to drop by to see the doctor then. Well, that is if she lives to see the day.

 

As she holds her heart, Bomi looks up to the clouds, asking God to give her strength.

 

March 1st, 2013

 

Bomi jerks awake when a sharp pain pierces through her chest. She sits up, fighting back the groan that threatens to come out. She squeezes her eyes shut as her veins light on fire.

 

Oh God, is it starting?

 

A coughing fit wracks her frame, and she clutches her chest in agony. She flinches when a soft hand grabs her arm, it.

 

“Bomi-ah, are you okay?” Chorong asks, half-awake.

 

“Y-yeah, I just need s-some water,” the younger girl coughs, fumbling with her sheets.

 

Jumping out of bed, Bomi hurriedly makes her way to the kitchen, where she rips open the door to the fridge. Seizing a bottle of water, she quickly twists open the cap before letting the icy water run down . It does little to cool her burning chest.

 

She throws the bottle back into the fridge before stumbling towards the counter. Bomi bends over, her face contorted in pain. Her knuckles are white as she grips the counter, gasping for breath. Slowly, her erratic heartbeat settles back into its normal pace, the excruciating pain fading away.

 

The chestnut haired girl releases a shaky breath, running a sweaty palm through her hair. She takes a seat at the counter, placing her head in her arms.

 

“It’s okay, Bomi, it was just a false alarm,” she tells herself, blinking back the tears. “Everything will be okay.”

 

March 3rd, 2013

 

As she walks out of her class, Bomi notices Chorong running towards her excitedly. Smiling, the younger girl puts up a hand to wave at her girlfriend.

 

“Happy bir—”

 

“Oh my god, Bomi-ah! Guess what just happened!” Chorong cuts off her roomate as her grasps her shoulder, jumping up and down.

 

“Wh-what is it?” Bomi asks, startled.

 

“I just found out I got a scholarship to study in America for 6 months!” the older girl squeals, her eyes sparkling. “Isn’t it amazing?!”

 

“Th-that’s great unnie, when is it?”

 

“I’m leaving in four days!”

 

Bomi stops in her tracks, and Chorong turns around to look at her questioningly. “Four days?”

 

The auburn haired girl tilts her head. “Yeah, why?”

 

A pit begins to form in Bomi’s stomach, and goes dry. “Why…Why didn’t you tell me about this earlier?”

 

“I wanted to make it a surprise, and I wasn’t sure if my application would be accepted.”

 

“But…six months…” Bomi looks down, her heart pounding. There’s no way she can last that long. It’ll only be a month more at most until…it happens.

 

“I know it’ll be hard being apart, Bomi-ah,” the older girl takes Bomi hands in hers. “But I’ll definitely be back. And it’ll be easy to stay in touch, right?”

 

“No,” Bomi fixes her gaze on the floor, frowning. “No, it won’t be.”

 

“Bomi-ah?” Chorong looks at her junior in confusion. “I thought you’d be happy for me…”

 

“I am happy for you,” the chestnut haired girl states flatly. She shoves the present she had in her pocket towards Chorong. “Happy birthday, not that it matters anymore.”

 

“Yah, Yoon Bomi,” Chorong frowns, taken back at Bomi’s odd behavior. “What’s gotten into you all of the sudden?”

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Bomi pushes the small gift into the older girl’s hand before turning to leave. A firm grip latches onto her wrist, stopping the younger girl.

 

“What do you mean ‘I don’t know what you’re talking about’? Tell me what’s wrong!”

 

Bomi whips her head around, her eyes burning with anger and pain. “Nothing! Nothing’s wrong! So hurry up and leave, so I can forget about you already!”

 

Chorong steps back, the shock and hurt evident in her eyes. Tears wells up in the older girl’s eyes, and she throws Bomi’s gift on the ground.

 

“I hate you!!” Chorong screams as she turns away, tears trailing down her face. Without looking back, she runs away, leaving both Bomi and her crumpled gift behind.

 

Bomi stands rooted to the ground, huffing in anger as she watches Chorong’s silhouette disappear. As her anger fades, guilt begins to take root in her heart.

 

The girl falls back onto a bench, holding her face in her hands. She mentally berates herself for being so weak. How could Chorong have known that her girlfriend wasn’t even supposed to live past February? Of course she’d be confused and hurt at Bomi’s unreasonable behavior. Tears sting at Bomi’s eyes, and she vainly attempts to blink them away.

 

“Chorong-unnie…” she mumbles, staring at her gift on the sidewalk. “Why am I so stupid…?”

 

The brunette pushes herself off the bench, kneeling to pick up her unopened gift. “I really should apologize...”

 

Gathering her resolve, she opens her phone to call Chorong’s cellphone.

 

“Hi, this is Park Chorong, and I’m not here right now—”

 

Bomi groans in frustration upon hearing Chorong’s voicemail, and she ends the call. She goes to her text messages, before typing out a message. Pressing send, the chestnut haired girl hopes that Chorong will read her text. She pushes her phone into her pocket as she calls out to a passing taxi on the street.

 

*~*

 

“Chorong-unnie, yoooooou’ve got a message~”

 

Chorong wipes her tears as she looks down at her phone, frowning when she reads the text.

 

[I’m sorry, can we talk?]

 

After angrily typing out a response, Chorong shuts off her phone.

 

*~*

 

“Bomi-ahhhh, it’s a new message~”

 

Bomi jumps, fumbling with her phone. Her eyes light up when she sees the sender ID, quickly opening the message.

 

[I get it already, you don’t need to say anymore.]

 

She frowns, before gasping when her chest constricts in pain.

 

“Oh no no no no,” Bomi breathes, clutching her chest. “It can’t be…”

 

She hastily sends another message. Her heart drops when the text bounces back—Chorong turned off her phone.

 

“Please hurry,” she urges the taxi driver, clenching her teeth. She grimaces as the car speeds up.

 

Not yet, not now…It can’t end like this…

 

*~*

 

Stumbling out of the taxi, Bomi’s boots crunch on the snow as she runs into the front lobby of her and Chorongs dorm complex. She keeps a hand on her throbbing chest, whipping her head around.

 

“Excuse me,” Bomi pants, running towards the front desk. “Has Chorong-unnie come in yet?”

 

The aged woman behind the desk shakes her head. “No, not yet.”

 

Bomi exhales in exasperation, thanking the woman and bowing. She rushes outside, wincing when her heart tightens again.

 

“Where would she be…?” Bomi desperately asks herself. She’s bent forward, leaning with her arm against the side of the building. The chestnut haired girl watches her breath swirl in the air until it hits her.

 

“The park,” she gasps, thinking back to their special oak tree. “Taxi!!”

 

*~*

 

Bomi closes her eyes and sighs deeply, leaning back into her seat. Why? Why is it starting now, of all times?

 

From the rearview mirror, the driver glances at the exhausted girl. “Are you okay, miss?”

 

Bomi nods, keeping her eyes shut. “Y-yeah, I’m fine.”

 

When the cab pulls up in front of the park gate, Bomi pulls out the wrinkled bills in her pocket. The girl looks at them briefly, before passing them all to the bewildered driver. She won’t be needing them anyways.

 

Sprinting into the park, Bomi cringes as her heart squeezes in protest to the exertion. Her phone vibrates, and she ignores it. The chestnut haired girl knows that she’s missing her last appointment, but it really doesn’t matter anymore at this point—it’s already too late.

 

Climbing the stairs, Bomi gasps for air, her chest on fire. Beads of sweat roll down her forehead, and with each increasing step she feels herself getting progressively slower. Her body feels like lead, and she can’t help but pause multiple times, leaning on the railing for support as her vision swirls.

 

Finally reaching the top of the steps, the chestnut haired girl lets out a shuddering breath, her muscles burning. She can barely make out a seated figure under the oak tree in the distance—undoubtedly Chorong’s. Stumbling forward, Bomi plows through the snow.

 

“Chorong-unnie,” she calls weakly, her voice barely audible even to herself. She knits her eyebrows together, trying harder to get her voice heard. “Unnie!”

 

The figure stays unmoving, and Bomi grits her teeth, the pain quickly escalating. Please, just please turn around!

 

A sharp pain lances through her left arm, and she falls forward, her face meeting the cold snow. She moans, the pain unbearable.

 

Rolling to her back, Bomi stares at the grey sky, heaving. Defeated, tears sting at her eyes as white crystals fall around her. There’s so much she still wanted to do with Chorong, so many more memories she wished to make. For it to end like this…

 

She smiles bitterly as her eyes lose focus, the white flakes of snow merging with the clouds above. She can hear nothing but her rapid heartbeat pounding against her ears.

 

I’m sorry, Chorong-unnie.

 

*~*

 

Chorong sniffles, sheltered under the large oak tree from the falling snow.

 

“Stupid Bomi,” she whimpers. “Why…?”

 

She dabs her eyes and balls her hand into fists on her lap. The auburn haired girl sighs. Looking at her phone, she turns it on. To her surprise, there are five missed calls from an unknown number. Her phone buzzes again, showing the same number.

 

“H-hello?” Chorong says as she brings the phone to her ear, trying to sound composed.

 

“Chorong-yang, is Bomi with you?” a slightly panicked voice filters from her phone.

 

Chorong’s eyes widen in realization. “Dr. Choi? Um, no…Why?”

 

“I’m here at the hospital right now for Bomi’s last appointment, but she hasn’t shown up yet. And she put you as her emergency contact…”

 

“Wait, what? An appointment for what?”

 

“She never told you…?” An uneasy feeling rises in Chorong’s chest.

 

“N-no, please tell me what you’re talking about.”

 

As he explains, Chorong lowers the phone, her eyes wide. “Oh my god.”

 

Hanging up, Chorong quickly dials Bomi’s number. “Oh god, please pick up, please pick up.”

 

Running into the snow, Chorong’s heart races.

 

“This is Bomi’s phone, I’m not—”

 

“No, no, please no,” Chorong cries, tears running down her cheeks. “Please…”

 

She stops in her tracks when she spots a figure lying on the ground, half covered in snow.

 

“Bomi-ah!” The frantic girl falls to her knees next to her fallen friend.

 

“Oh no, please, Bomi-ah,” Chorong pleads to the unmoving girl, shaking her. “Don’t leave me…”

 

“U-unnie?” the younger girl croaks; she is frighteningly pale.

 

“It’s me Bomi-ah,” Chorong whispers, grabbing Bomi’s cold hand. She brings her phone up. “I-I’ll call the hospital—” She is cut off when Bomi shakes her head sadly, smiling.

 

“Don't,” Bomi coughs, tears forming in her eyes. “It’s t-too late…”

 

“No, don’t say that,” Chorong cries, her tears landing on the younger girl’s skin. “You can’t…Why didn’t you tell me…?”

 

“I-I’m sorry,” the younger girl manages, her face twisted in pain. “I didn’t want to h-hurt you…”

 

“Stupid, stupid, Bomi…That’s just…” Chorong stops, unable to finish. She leans over Bomi, sobbing freely.

 

“I-I kn-know,” Bomi shudders. Her heart is going so fast, too fast. She gathers the last of her strength to caress Chorong’s wet cheek. “I love you, Chorong-unnie.”

 

“I lo-love you t-too,” Chorong sobs, her face twists in sorrow. “I love you, so much…”

 

The crying girl leans down, until she can feel Bomi’s weak breath against her lips.

 

Their lips meet, and Bomi is no longer in the cold snow, but surrounded by a blanket of warmth. The bliss numbs her body from the pain as her heart finally ruptures. A lone tear escapes from the corner of her eye and she smiles one last time, before falling into a dreamless sleep.

 

Farewell, Chorong-unnie.

 

 

*~*

 

*~*

 

*~*

 

 

“Bomi-ah, can you hear me? Are you watching over me?

 

I think of you every day, Bomi-ah. I will never forget the precious memories we made together, the love we shared.

 

The days we spent together were easily the happiest times of my life. I look back at those moments and smile—nothing can take those memories away from me.

 

Bomi-ah, even if you’re not here with me right now, nothing can change the fact that I love you.

 

I love you Yoon Bomi. Now and forever always.”

 

*~*