The Monster Within (Part 1)

The Monster Within

You shoved your hands into the pockets of your leather jacket as the elevator dinged, signaling you were on the floor you wished to arrive on. Stepping out of the elevator, you took in the scent of the conference room. It was musky smelling, like always, and the air was heavy. It was the first time you had been to work after a failed mission involving a sneaky killer and a gunshot wound to your leg, but you were ready to go back.

The first place you had to stop by was your boss Jiyong's office. When you had called him and told him that your physical therapy for your leg was done and you were healed, he said to go to his office first thing to discuss matters. However, as soon as Seungri, a person on your team and your best friend, caught sight of you, it didn't take two seconds for you to be completely enveloped in a suffocating hug.

"Seungri!" you shouted in surprise, wrapping your arms around your best friend. He hadn't been able to visit you in the hospital due to the overflowing amount of mafias in Seoul lately, so it was a relief to see him. "I missed you! You should've at least called me when you were off!" you mock shouted, mussing his hair when he let go of you.

"Yeah, yeah. I might've forgotten to," he laughed, scratching the back of his neck.

"I guess I can let it slip. How did things go without the leader?" you asked. You were the leader of the most elite assassins in Seoul, meaning you were in charge of four other boys, the careful eye being Jiyong, who was always on top of the news and new missions to give to the team. It was you, the only girl of four boys, and Youngbae, Daesung, Seunghyun, and Seungri. Youngbae and Daesung were mostly friends with themselves, same with you and Seungri. The obvious standout was Choi Seunghyun, one of the rudest and stuck up people you've ever had to meet.

He did many things to hurt you. He humiliated you many times, ending in you crying in Seungri's arms, and he was the one to find you first after you had been shot, only leading to him walking away to deal with the killer. It was Youngbae to call the ambulance and stay with you until they came. You were still thankful for that.

Seungri laughed. “It was painful. Seunghyun really… ah, he’s an idiot. He almost had me killed trying to be in your spot,” he sighed. But before you could make any response, you heard someone shout, “Look! ____’s back!”

At that moment, the other three walked over. "_____-ah! You're back!" Daesung said cheerfully, and Youngbae slinged his arm over your shoulders lazily, flashing you a smile. You smiled back before you turned to face Seunghyun, who was a few feet away, his arms crossed, eyeing you with an evil smirk. Can you believe this punk? you asked yourself.

Seunghyun was attractive, you'll admit. His light brown hair was cut just around his face, and his dark brown eyes were piercing. His smirk was y, as well. You would never admit that, though. "Hyung! Aren't you going to greet _____-ah?" Daesung asked innocently.

Seunghyun scoffed. "Why should I?” He turned to you, a teasing look in his eye. “Everyone in this business gets wounded. You were only gone for a month, anyway.” With a swift turn, he walked away. You rolled your eyes and realized everyone was staring at you.

“He always treats me like that. It’s cool.” You shrugged, but on the inside, his remarks hurt. You never did quite understand why he hated you (probably due to your gender, but you couldn’t be sure), but you didn’t fight his ways. Sometimes it felt good to yell at him.

“Yeah, but, _____...” Seungri trailed off when the door opened and in peeked Jiyong. His fiery bright red hair was a stand out in any room, even if you just saw him in your peripheral vision. He strolled over to you, and you completely forgot to go see him upon Seungri manhandling you.

“_____. It’s nice to see you’re back. Can I see you in my office for a second?” he asked slyly, almost as if he was expecting you not to come.

“Of course,” you mumbled, waving goodbye to the other three as you followed your boss to his office. The hallways were almost unfamiliar to you, but you were glad you were back. The images of your workplace had faded with your injury.

“Take a seat, yeah?” Jiyong asked as he sat down in his huge leather chair behind his mahogany desk, gesturing to one of the two sweats in front of the desk. You sat down and leaned back, crossing your right leg over your left.

“What is it you wanted to talk to me about?”

Jiyong smiled almost apologetically. “What, I can’t say hi to my personal favorite of the five of you?” he chuckled, but you knew he was hiding something. The smile wasn’t reaching his eyes.

“Okay, what are you hiding from me, Jiyong?”

He sighed, defeated. “Would you like it bluntly, or would you like me to make it a little easier on you?” he asked in an almost annoyed tone.

“Be blunt.”

“Your position as leader has been taken from you.” Jiyong hadn’t lied. It was short and blunt. But, still, you felt your heart drop to the bottom of your stomach. You weren’t the leader anymore? You were the best one! Most days, you were the one to bring the killer to his knees in fear (with the help of Seunghyun’s creepy stare).

“W-What?” you stuttered.

“I’m sorry, but you’re not the leader anymore. You were always the leader in the first place, so you might’ve not learned this, but if the leader of a team in this company is injured, it shows a sign of weakness to the board, and therefore the next oldest without being wounded is the new leader. Seunghyun hasn’t even had so much of a gash from a fight.”

You chuckled hysterically. Seunghyun. Choi Seunghyun. That bastard was now in charge of you? In your dreams. You would never work under him. “This is some sick joke, right? Since when was that stupid rule established?”

“Ever since you all started working here.”

You sighed. “Fine. If Seunghyun’s in charge of me, I quit.”

Jiyong stood up from his chair, hands in front of him, palms facing you. “No, no. Be reasonable. I can do something that the board won’t learn. It’ll just be reported that it’s just Seunghyun, but I guess I could make you… co-leaders.” He kind of cringed at the word, but put his hands down and watched your reaction.

You thought about that. Co-leaders. You and Seunghyun, working together, in charge of the three others. You couldn’t imagine it, and you’d probably be screaming at Seunghyun the first mission you got, but it could work. “Fine. But Seunghyun won’t be happy.”

“I’ll tell him later.” He popped his sleeve up and checked his watch. “It’s two. It’s your training hour. I’ll call him up while you’re kicking dummy , okay?” he asked, a teasing smile on his face. You laughed and nodded, saying goodbye before making it to the training room, or, as everyone called it, the land down under.

The training room was deep in the ground, so it was stuffy and there were no windows. There were tons of lights, though, and it was huge, but that didn’t stop it from getting insanely hot most days. You were met with a loud grunt before it sounded like something burst. When you got there, you saw it was Youngbae, who had just knocked down one of the more advanced dummies (it was made of stone) with a kick. The stone ones were for kicking, the metal ones for shooting and stabbing, and the rag-like ones were for punching.

Seungri was the one to see you first, as usual. He walked over to you and noticed that you looked a little out of it, despite getting your spot back. Sort of. “So I guess you heard about… him.” Seungri looked over at Seunghyun, who let out a nasty roar before ariel kicking a stone dummy into the floor.

“Yeah, I did,” you sighed. “But we’re co-leaders now.”

Seungri raised an eyebrow. “Excuse me?”

“Jiyong’s still letting me be leader, but I have to work alongside Seunghyun, and everyone will know him as leader. So it works out,” you explained.

Seungri turned to Seunghyun again. “Does he know?”

“Jiyong’s going to call him out and tell him,” you said with a nod of your head. Seungri looked unsure, but you pulled out a stone dummy from the corner of the training room and positioned it a few feet away. You took a bit of a running start before flipping back, your foot connecting with the chin of the dummy and causing it to fall to the floor, a gigantic dent in the back of its head. You picked it up and continued to kick it until someone’s pager rang out. It was Seunghyun’s.

“What the hell does Jiyong want?” he grumbled as he left. Youngbae and Daesung shrugged it off, but you and Seungri gave each other a little smile of recognition. It wasn’t long before the door slammed open and Seunghyun stormed in, glaring directly at you.

Everyone stopped doing what they were doing.

“You just couldn’t help it, could you?” he snarled once he was in your face. “You couldn’t let me do this alone without your help? I know how to run this team. And, last time I checked, I haven’t gotten hurt yet,” he said, lifting his leg and sending a hard kick to your previously injured leg.

You stumbled right into Seungri, who suddenly appeared right behind you. He lifted you back up, whispering “Fight back” in your ear before resuming his position a few ways away. You turned to Seunghyun. “You just crossed a line.”

“I thought I crossed your line months ago.”

“Can you just get the over it?” you barked. “You’re a leader, I’m a leader. I hate you, you hate me. Why can’t you just let whatever small reason I made you hate me so much go? We have to work together from now on anyway.”

“No, I can’t let it go, just like you can’t seem to let go being leader. Why not let someone else be in the spotlight? Everyone else has gotten hurt but me. You’re the only girl. You’re the leader. I’m the one always shoved in the back and never recognized.”

“You do realize that no one will know I’m leader, too. We’d get in trouble if they did. You’re going to be mostly leader. Just the thought of working under you makes me sick, so I wanted to have some form of authority,” you explained.

“I don’t care,” he huffed. “If you even say a word to me in public, I’ll personally take my gun out and make that wound fresh,” he threatened before going back to his dummy, kicking it harder than before. You were still stunned, until strong arms wrapped you in a hug.

“Seungri, I—“

“I don’t want to hear it. You need some Seungri love,” he laughed, keeping your head in his chest. Though you didn’t want to admit it, Seungri was the thing that kept you alive most days. He’s the reason you fought your hardest when you were killing people. He wasn’t there on the mission you were shot. He had gotten sick.

When Seungri let you go, you couldn’t help but notice your very angry co-leader glaring at you.

* * * * *

“To killing that bastard!”

“Cheers!” everyone shouted, clinking shots of tequila. It was getting late, and there were going after someone tomorrow, not tonight. Jiyong had joined, and was talking to Seunghyun, while everyone else were in their pairs.

“Seungri, don’t you think stars are pretty?” you asked, pointing to the huge amount of them in the sky tonight. You were sitting outside of headquarters at a big wooden table Jiyong had put there just for this reason, and it was very peaceful.

“They’re fascinating. All those little balls of fire with the big ball of fire gone for the night,” Seungri sighed, looking up as well. You took another shot, wincing. You always thought it was bitter, but that didn’t stop you from drinking it.

The thing to disrupt the peace was a gunshot, which was just centimeters Daesung’s arm before hitting the cement below them. Immediately, everyone was on their feet, guns in their hands, Daesung a little slow since he was still checking for damage. You all looked, until Seunghyun pointed on the roof.

A figure with a fedora covering his face was aiming a gigantic gun that was resting on the building’s edge at the team. Seunghyun snarled and fired his gun at the man, who in return fired multiple times, until a cry of pain could be heard. You turned and saw Daesung staring wide-eyed at Jiyong, who was holding his bleeding chest.

You couldn’t believe it. A peaceful time had turned into your boss bleeding in pain, and the ones you love (yes, even Seunghyun… a little) in danger. You had to it up and be important. You just came back, and you’re not about to get wounded again.

“Someone stay with Jiyong,” you ordered, turning to Seunghyun, who had his stare fixed on the man, who was still shooting. “I’ll go up there if you will.”

“Fine.” Lucky for you, that building had a pipe leading up to the roof. You shoved your loaded gun into your holster, flicking the safety on and climbing up the pipe, Seunghyun following. You briefly registered someone yelling at you not to go up there, but you discarded that and did anyway.

You pulled your gun out when you got on the roof, flicking the safety off and aiming it at the person who had shot Jiyong. He had a nasty smirk when he saw you, but it quickly slipped off his face when he saw the gun. He tried to aim his own gun at you, but you were too quick. There was a pool of blood under his dead body in seconds.

It had been easy enough. That's why you loved this job; instead of having to fight them like a police man, they were already so bad that you just got to pull a trigger and it was done. You turned to stare at Seunghyun, who nodded to you. “Good shot.”

“I’m not so useless after all, huh?” you laughed, shoving your gun in your holster and wiping your sweaty palms on your hands.

“I guess not.” He still didn’t smile. “I suppose I can let you be co-leader. For a while, anyway. Until then, let’s get Jiyong to the hospital, yeah?” You completely had forgotten about your boss being shot in all the mess of killing the man. He was no doubt a part of the group the man you killer earlier was in. You recognized his terrible cologne.

“That’d be a smart idea,” you sighed, sliding down the pipe and joining everyone else, who was crowded around Jiyong. Daesung was pressing a cloth on it to help stop the blood flow a little bit, Youngbae was keeping Jiyong occupied and awake, while Seungri had just gotten done calling the ambulance.

The only thing you were worried about right now was the fact that Jiyong was hurt, and he needed help.

To be continued…

* * * * *

A/N: I’m getting braces tomorrow (unfortunately), so it might be a couple days before you get part 2. Sorry. Bare with me!