A Sour Reunion

Vita

A/N: Please disregard their real ages for this fic. Thank you! :)

 


“What do you think they’re like?”

“I dunno but I sure hope they’re fun people. I wouldn’t want them to ruin this trip. Do you think they speak Korean?”

"Well, Ma'am Zhang said something about those of them who aren't Korean taking classes and stuff." Yuri nodded at that, addressing the group as a whole soon after. “How many are they?”

“Five students, just like us… according to Mr. Kim. The only difference is there are four boys and one girl in their group.” Taeyeon replied, smiling sheepishly at the surprised looks on everyone’s faces. “What? It’s not my fault I was the only one who was listening to him in the car a while ago.”

Minho rolled his eyes good naturedly at that; the five Hanyang University students all waiting in the private room of Queen’s Brasserie, the in-house restaurant of Hotel Royal @ Queens. “That’s pretty fair, if you think about it – five boys and five girls.”

“I just hope they don’t take so long to unpack.” Sooyoung pouted from her spot; the five currently seated on one side of the long table. “I’m so sleepy already.”

"I told you to sleep during the flight, Soo. But did you listen? Of course not."

“I wonder who your roommate will be, oppa.” Amber leaned closer to the table to give the lone male a curious look.  “Since the only girl from British Columbia is rooming with Ma’am Zhang.”

His shoulders lifted in a slight shrug; his hand reaching out to hold Yuri’s. “As long as he doesn’t snore and isn’t messy, I really don’t care.”

                Whatever reply anyone wanted to make never happened as the door of the private room opened slowly; the five Hanyang students soon getting up on their feet. Excitement and curiosity were evident on their faces as they silently waited; Heechul, Leeteuk and Liyin soon entering the room and walked towards the head of the table farthest from the door, followed by two males and one female they all assumed to be members of the faculty of the University of British Columbia. However, as the last five bodies entered, all colour left Sooyoung’s face and a soft but audible gasp escaped Taeyeon’s lips. Yuri had opened to ask what was wrong when Minho stiffened by her side; his hand tightening around hers.

“Our apologies for making you wait. I’m sure everyone here is in need of a good night’s rest.” The eldest of the three faculty members of the University of British Columbia smiled apologetically as he and his two co-workers stood on the other end of the table. “Maybe it’s best if we get introductions out of the way as quick as possible?”

Heechul nodded quickly in agreement; his eyes glassy from sleepiness. “I’m Kim Heechul, faculty member of Hanyang University. It’s my pleasure to meet all of you.”

“I’m Park Jungsu, likewise a faculty member of Hanyang University.” Leeteuk continued, hiding a frown as he noticed the look on Sooyoung’s face and how she was staring at the chair on the other side of the table as if it was the only thing in the room. “But please, call me Leeteuk.”

“I’m Zhang Liyin, faculty member of Hanyang University.” The last of the faculty from Korea spoke from her spot, exchanging a look soon after with one of the faculty from the opposite group. “I’m originally from China and I attended the same school as Mr. Han.”

“It’s good to see you again.” He nodded; a small grin appearing on his face before addressing the group as a whole. “I’m Han Geng, faculty member of the University of British Columbia.”

The small, petite female professor standing beside him smiled brightly. “I’m Kwon Boa, faculty member of the University of British Columbia. I graduated from Seoul University before moving to Canada to teach.”

“I’m Ahn Chilhyun, faculty member of the University of British Columbia. Like Ms. Kwon, I graduated from Seoul University before moving to Canada. Please call me Kangta and I’m very much looking forward to working with all of you this year.” The last of the professors turned his attention to his students. “When you introduce yourself, state your name, what you want to be called if you want it different from your name, where you're originally from if applicable and your major.”

“My name is Henry Lau.” The guy closest to him spoke. “My parents are both Chinese but I was born and raised in Canada. I'm currently taking up International Relations.”

“My name is Krystal Jung.” The lone female of their group gave everyone a small smile. “I am majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies. My parents are Korean and my family is based in California. I decided to move to Canada for college.”

A guy with messy jet black hair shot the tall guy to his right a look; a sigh silently escaping his lips before he introduced himself. “I’m Huang Zitao but please just call me Tao. I’m taking up Food Market Analysis. I'm originally from China but migrated to Canada a few years back.”

“Oppa…” Yuri whispered in a hushed tone as Minho’s face hardened; the tall guy across him still not speaking. In fact, he was staring at Sooyoung with an expression on his face that she couldn’t quite name. “What’s wrong?”

“I’m Wu Fan… Please call me Kris.” The six foot something guy finally spoke. “I’m taking up International Business. My parents are Chinese but I was born in Korea.”

“I’m Kim Kibum otherwise known as Key.” The last University of British Columbia student smiled in greeting. “I’m taking up Journalism. I was born and raised in Korea and I moved to Canada for my studies.”

Heechul arched an eyebrow when no one from the Hanyang University students said anything right after. “Anyone would like to start among the five of you?”

Amber quickly wiped the confused look off her face before grinning at their counterparts. “I’m Amber Liu and I’m taking up Sociology. My parents are Chinese and I was born and raised in the United States. I moved here for my studies.”

Taeyeon sighed when Sooyoung didn’t say anything, offering their groupmates a tiny smile. “I’m Kim Taeyeon, majoring in Tourism.”

“I’m Kwon Yuri.” The dark haired woman watched her boyfriend from the corner of her eye. “I’m majoring in International Studies.”

“I’m Choi Minho.” His voice was strained and frankly, he didn’t care if it was obvious. “I’m taking up Cultural Contents.”

Sooyoung finally lifted her head just slightly much to the relief of Amber and Taeyeon, who flanked her on her sides. “I’m Choi Sooyoung, taking up Journalism and Mass Communications.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet all of you.” Kangta clasped his hands behind him. “I would like to keep this short because there will be a more detailed orientation for all of you tomorrow morning. But it’s best that we inform you that the academic instructors are not yet complete. We are still waiting for the arrival of five more people, who will help in chaperoning and lecture duties. I have been informed, however, that they are not faculty members of both schools.”

Leeteuk’s eyes fell on Minho, unable to hide the small frown from appearing on his face. “You will be rooming on your own for tonight since one of the five other academic instructors will be rooming with you. Miss Jung will be rooming with Miss Kwon and Miss Zhang while Mr. Ahn and Mr. Han will be rooming with myself and Mr. Kim respectively.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Are there any more questions?” When the students shook their heads, Heechul gestured for Han Geng to open the door. “Please be here tomorrow at eight o’clock for the breakfast buffet.”

                A chorus of ‘yes, sir’ came from the students before they silently piled out of the private room. But no sooner did their feet land on the tiled floor of the restaurant did Sooyoung grasp Taeyeon’s hand; the shorter of the two soon found herself being dragged towards the lifts. Minho and Yuri followed soon with a baffled and worried expression on the face of the latter and one of obvious anger on her boyfriend’s. Amber had barely entered the lift before the doors were closed, leaving the faculty members and the Canadian group outside to wait for another lift.

Tao sigh as he turned to face the still silent man beside her. “Is that her?”

“Yes, it’s her.”

o-o-o-o-o

“This is unbelievable.” Amber whispered as she and Yuri remained seated on her bed with twin looks of shock on their faces. “It’s a small world.”

“How can it be possible… that Soo’s childhood love who disappeared in high school is in the same immersion program as her?” Yuri shook her head; her eyes falling on Sooyoung’s bed where the tall brunette remained in Taeyeon’s arms as she cried. “What are we going to do?”

“That no good bastard isn’t coming anywhere near her.” Minho said with finality as he paced back and forth in front of the television. “He just can’t simply waltz into Soo’s life so easily after he left her without a word all those years ago. How could he just leave without a trace and hurt Soo like he did?”

Taeyeon sighed; one of her hands rubbing Sooyoung’s back comfortingly. “I don’t think Kris even knew that you and Soo are going to be in this program. If you two didn’t know, I’m sure he didn’t either.”

“I wanna go home.”

                The entire room fell silent; Sooyoung’s whispered, pained words reaching their ears. Sighing for the nth time, Minho went over to where his sister was; Taeyeon carefully transferring her friend into her Minho’s waiting arms. That gesture seemed to only make Sooyoung cry harder; the brown haired man whispering comforting words only she could hear. Yuri, Amber and Taeyeon could only exchange identical looks, hoping that this cultural immersion program wouldn’t be so bad after all.

“It’s going to be fine, noona.” Minho pressed a kiss on her forehead. “You’re going to be fine.”

“Promise?”

“I promise.”

 


Apologies for the really late update! Now you know what the connection between Kris and Soo is… what do you think will happen next? ;)