The Beginning of The Journey

Vita

5 March 2012, Monday

“Five minutes, she says…” Choi Minho shook his head before stepping back inside the house and staring pointedly at the staircase. “Choi Sooyoung, get your down here right now!”

“I’m coming!”

“You said that earlier, noona!”

“Five minutes!”

“If I give you another five minutes, we’ll never make it to the plane!”

“Geeze!” Choi Sooyoung finally descended the stairs; a carry-on bag and a suitcase in her grasp. “A little help here, my oh so useful half-brother?”

Minho rolled his eyes but moved nonetheless to the staircase, easily taking the suitcase from her. “I told you to pack everything last night so that you won’t end up cramming. Did you even listen to me?”

“I did!” She stuck her tongue out at him as she landed on the bottom step. “It’s just that you know how important and big this trip is and we’ll be gone for so long and I don’t want to forget anything because–”

“I get it.” The dark haired man cut her off evenly; his eyes giving their house one final scan. “We’re lucky that we were chosen for this.”

Sooyoung nodded in agreement, packing last-minute essentials into her carry-on bag as a yawn escaped her lips. “I didn’t think something like this exists, you know? Yeah, Hanyang has its fair share of cultural immersion and exchange programs… but nothing this big.”

“To think you didn’t even want to go to Hanyang University at first.” He teased, heading towards the door with her last of two suitcases in tow. “Do you have everything with you, noona? Because I swear if we don’t leave anytime soon, I’m going to the airport on my own.”

“Some brother you are.” His half-sister huffed in mock annoyance, zipping up her bag and following him outside. “We have nothing to worry about while we’re gone, right?”

“Nope.” Minho replied, popping the ‘p’ as he spoke. “Siwon hyung’s coming home tonight from his business trip in Prague so the house won’t be empty for too long… Do you have your passport and your ticket?”

“It’s with you, remember?” Sooyoung shot him a pointed look, shaking her head when he laughed sheepishly. “C’mon. Unless you load that suitcase into the trunk, we won’t be getting anywhere.”

                Minho mimicked his half-sister, moving from his spot to do just as she said while Sooyoung locked up the house; the older of the two half-siblings soon entering the confines of the cab while the other checked the door one last time. With Minho satisfied that their house would be safe in their absence or until Siwon returned home, the cab sped off to the airport; the two siblings talking about the long, exciting journey ahead of them.

o-o-o-o-o

Kim Heechul arched an eyebrow at the sight he and his two co-faculty members met as they approached the cluster of their students amongst the row of chairs in the Incheon International Airport. “Unless four too excited women would sit down, the short orientation won’t start.”

The said four exchanged a look but sat down nonetheless amongst the seats nearest to where Minho sat. “What happened to the fun, no holds barred professor Heenim?” Kwon Yuri rolled her eyes good naturedly at their usually immature acting professor.

“He will come back once chaperone duties are done.” He replied without missing a beat. “Do you all have everything with you?”

“Yes, sir.” The five students chirped in unison; a few yawns escaping them soon after.

“Very good.” The eldest of the three Hanyang professors, Park Leeteuk, nodded in approval. “As you all obviously know since you signed up for this, you are about to participate in the first ever Sino-Korean International Cultural Immersion program sponsored by various Korean and Chinese companies all over the world along with the governments of South Korea and the Republic of China. And as what you also know, this program will start in Singapore.”

“During the duration of one academic year, you will be given the opportunity to tour various countries all over the world and learn about their culture to gain an understanding about the world and its people.” Zhang Liyin, the only female professor, continued for her partner. “This trip is not meant only for leisure and travel purposes as you are expected to apply everything you learn and experience to your respective courses. Outputs that will be credited in place of the requirements you will miss during the duration of the academic year will be expected from you regularly.”   

“Ma’am, I have a question.” Kim Taeyeon spoke up before any of the professors could. “I know we will be given a more detailed orientation soon but I’d just like to know… what kind of outputs will be expected from us?”

Liyin thought about it for a moment. “It varies considering you have different degree majors but generally there are essays, reports on certain books, documentaries and other forms of media, journals and the like.”

Amber Liu let out a low whistle. “That seems… heavy.”

“Again, requirements will depend on your major and will vary amongst the students.” Leeteuk replied with a smile. “Since you will be out of the typical classroom setting for this academic year, requirements will be different and more flexible than what you are used to in the university. Ms. Zhang, Mr. Kim and I are here not only to serve as your chaperones for this trip but also to be your faculty instructors for all the academic requirements needed for this program.”

“How many of you will be there?” Sooyoung asked once she ripped her eyes from the restaurants surrounding them.

“It will be the three of us plus three more professors from the University of British Columbia.” Heechul’s eyebrows furrowed slightly. “We really don’t know who they are just yet but I was told they will arrive in Singapore later than our side of the group.”

“I wonder who our Canadian groupmates will be… because it’ll if they’re such killjoys.” Minho exchanged a look with Yuri; his girlfriend soon taking his hand in hers. “Wait… so that will be six faculty instructors for ten students? It’s not that I don’t have faith in you guys but our majors are different. How will you handle that?”

The three professors exchanged a look; Leeteuk opting to be the one to answer the question. “The university said something about five other people joining our group to help with the instructing and chaperoning duties but they didn’t say who. It might be professors either from Hanyang or the University of British Columbia... but we can't say for certain.”

“Any other questions?” When the students shook their heads, Heechul’s formal demeanor disappeared almost instantly; a grin appearing soon on his face. “Good… because I’m starving.”

                No one was really surprised when Sooyoung was the first one on her feet; linking her arms with Taeyeon and Amber as they headed off to Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf with their professors leading the way and Yuri and Minho walking a few steps behind them; Minho intertwining their fingers as he gave her hand a gentle squeeze. Boarding time was still two hours away and they could all use some good coffee and snacks before they start their journey to Singapore.

o-o-o-o-o

                Sooyoung stood up, resting one knee on her seat as she looked around the airplane. Their 8:20 am departure was a few minutes away and all the passengers aboard the aircraft were settling down. The tall brunette shared seats A, B and C of row 36 with Amber and Taeyeon; the younger of the trio taking up the aisle seat while Sooyoung had the seat by the window. A quick look around to her that their professors were across the aisle on seats D, E and F while Yuri and Minho had the two-seater behind them on row 37.

“Yah, Soo. Sit down.” Taeyeon tugged on her shirt, pointing upwards at the seatbelt sign that had just lit up.

The tall brunette rolled her eyes good naturedly but complied nonetheless, snapping on her seatbelt before Minho could kick her seat from behind. “I wonder how Singapore’s like.”

“Well, no one has a bad thing to say about the country so I say that’s definitely a good sign.” Amber replied as she fussed over her seatbelt. “There’s something wrong with this thing.”

“No, there’s something called Amber-doesn’t-know-how-to-put-on-a-seatbelt.” Sooyoung reached across Taeyeon to help Amber with her seatbelt, patting her dongsaeng’s cheeks affectionately when the Chinese-American native pouted.

Taeyeon shook her head at the two. “I wonder how our University of British Columbia groupmates would be.”

“We could use a few more males in this group.” Minho grimaced from his seat. “It’s not like I overly mind spending time with you girls… but I’d like to keep my sanity in check throughout the year.”

“You’ll live.” Yuri snickered at her boyfriend, laughing when he made a face at her. “But seriously, I’m sure you won’t be the only guy among the students.”

                Minho opened his mouth to say something but the voice of flight attendant coming out from the speakers throughout the plane prevented him from doing so. In hushed whispers and occasional silence, they listened to all the information and reminders presented to them; the passengers in general taking note of the fact that they will be arriving in Singapore by 1:30 pm. The conversation on their University of British Columbia counterparts was put on temporary hold as the plane prepared for take-off; Sooyoung soon reminding her seatmates to kindly wake her up when breakfast arrived.

                With that, silence reigned in the aircraft; the group from Hanyang University unaware that the other half of their group was on their way to the Incheon International Airport for their 11:00 am connecting flight to Kuala Lumpur; the group having arrived from Vancouver at 5:50 pm the day before. A nearly two-hour stopover waited for them there before they catch one last flight to Singapore, scheduled to arrive at 7:00 pm.