Chapter Nine

For Happiness

 

-Chapter IX-

 

“I hate math.”

“I love math.”

“I know,” Yong Hye sighed. “Will you help me?” she asked Taemin.

They were in their kitchen; both dressed to attend another one of their parents’ “get-togethers.” This time, it was being hosted by Yong Hye’s parents. They had about an hour before they had to be at the party, and Yong Hye was trying to squeeze in some last minute homework. As much as she hated math, she hated that she had left it until the last moment to do it, because now, seated in a very uncomfortable, expensive dress, she definitely didn’t want to do it.

“Sure,” Taemin answered, pulling out a chair next to her.

As Taemin explained the math to her, Yong Hye mentally cursed her parents for making her minor in business. She had agreed only because they told her that it was the only way they’d pay for her to go to college to get a degree in journalism. They were hoping that she’d change her mind at the last minute and want to go into business, and they knew that a minor was definitely better than nothing.

“Why is it so much simpler when you explain it?” Yong Hye practically whined as Taemin finished his explanations.

Taemin grinned and lightly kissed his fiancée. “Because I know you,” he whispered when he pulled away, still very close to her face. He didn’t say anything else. They just sat there, content to just look at each other. It amazed Yong Hye that her best friend could become so much more to her over the years, without relinquishing his best friend title. As she thought, she was overwhelmed with happiness. Of everyone in the world, finding someone she loved had been the easiest part of her life. She giggled, realizing how lucky she was.

Her giggles made Taemin smile wider. He leaned over and kissed her again, but this time, they let the kiss get a little more involved than before. They’ve lived together for a while now, a plot that both Yong Hye and Taemin’s family came up with, and the couple suspected it was to try to get them married and producing babies as soon as possible, and though they weren’t entirely ready for that sort of life, they certainly didn’t mind taking advantage of each other or living together.

Taemin groaned into the kiss, pulling her into his lap.

Yong Hye, in a moment of clarity, pulled away, making Taemin growl in disappointment. “Not now,” she breathed.

“Why not?” he asked, nuzzling her neck.

“Because,” Yong Hye said, pushing off Taemin and standing up. “If I’m wearing this dress to my parents’ party, they’ll be able to see any mark on my neck, and I don’t think they’d find that appropriate.”

“Parents ruin everything,” Taemin mumbled under his breath as he stood himself.

“I’ll remind you that you said that when we have kids,” Yong Hye teased, kissing her fiancé quickly on the lips. “Now, we should go.” She closed her text book; the rest would have to wait, or just not get done.

“Fine…” Taemin almost whined, letting her grab his hand and lead him out of the apartment, both of them laughing the entire time.

 

-           -           -           -

“You two enjoying yourselves, I hope,” Yong Hye’s mom said to her daughter and Taemin, walking up to where they sat on one of the couches scattered around the large room.

They both nodded, abiding to the rule that if you don’t answer her questions with words, the more likely Yong Hye’s mother was too lose interest quickly.

“Good!” she said, nearly squealing. “We want to make sure you two are having the best time! You know my husband and I are absolutely thrilled with your engagement!”

“Mom!” Yong Hye hissed, glancing around at the people around the three of them. She still wasn’t sure if she wanted everyone knowing yet.

Yong Hye’s mom waved her daughter’s protest away with an eye roll. “Oh, don’t worry honey, everyone will know eventually, right?” Yong Hye nodded slowly. It was an unfortunate part of being engaged. Everyone wanted to know. “Oh, and Taemin,” Yong Hye’s mom said, turning to the young man.

“Yes?” he prompted politely, taking hold of his fiancée’s hand. He knew talking about anything wedding-related with her mom was the last thing Yong Hye wanted tonight.

“I hope you have a ring to give to her at some point,” Yong Hye’s mother continued, eyeing her daughter’s left hand disapprovingly.

“You—”

“Yes, ma’am,” Taemin said loudly, cutting off Yong Hye, both with his voice and a squeeze from his hand. There would be no drama tonight. “It’ll be in its proper place very soon.” Taemin bowed slightly, which pleased his future mother-in-law enough that she smiled.

“Excuse me,” a voice cut into their conversation before Yong Hye’s mom could say anything else. Yong Hye looked up involuntarily.

Taecyeon.

Again.

“Your husband is looking for you,” Taecyeon said with a bow to Yong Hye’s mother. He was dressed like the caterers, so Yong Hye assumed that this was another job for him.

“Oh,” Yong Hye’s mom said, not really looking at Taecyeon. After all, he was just the help. She left without another word to anyone, much to Taemin and Yong Hye’s pleasure.

“I’d probably go somewhere else,” Taecyeon whispered to Taemin and Yong Hye. “She may come back once she realizes her husband wasn’t actually looking for her.”

Yong Hye let out an involuntary giggle. “Seriously?” she asked, looking to where she last saw her mom, hoping to catch a glimpse of the woman’s surprise.

Taecyeon nodded, his signature smirk playing on his lips.

“That’s so awesome,” Taemin said, slipping his hand around Yong Hye’s waist as they stood up. “How’d you know we…?”

“Didn’t want her around?” Taecyeon finished, turning to Taemin. “I’ve spent a lot of my life studying people. You learn body language pretty quickly.”

“He’s a photographer,” Yong Hye told Taemin happily.

“Very cool,” Taemin nodded to Taecyeon. “Yong Hye used to have me take pictures for her reports in our high school newspaper. I lost that job pretty quickly.”

“He was dreadful at taking pictures. I’d ask for one of students eating lunch and end up with a picture of someone’s half eaten lunch and their chest.”

All of them laughed.

“Photography isn’t easy!” Taemin defended himself.

“Taking a picture of someone eating lunch is!” Yong Hye retorted, still smiling.

“Oh no it’s not,” Taecyeon interjected.

“You have to get  the angle right.”

Taemin nodded.

 “The lighting.”

Taemin nodded again.

“And don’t get me started on finding willing participants!”

“That was the hardest part!” Taemin cried.

Yong Hye laughed, watching the two of them go back and forth. And for the first time, she found herself having fun at one of her parents’ parties. The combination of Taemin and Taecyeon made everything much more enjoyable.

“May we have everyone’s attention?” A voice called over the crowd, calling Taemin and Taecyeon’s chatter to cease. “We have an announcement to make.”

Yong Hye looked up curiously. It was her mom’s voice. “What is she—”

“Our daughter and her boyfriend, Taemin, are engaged!”

Taecyeon and Taemin exchanged shocked looks, then they both turned to look at Yong Hye.

“,” Yong Hye said, changing her question to a statement mid-sentence.

Everyone turned to Yong Hye and Taemin and started clapping, all saying their congratulations at once.

Taecyeon started clapping quietly, but stopped when Yong Hye glared at him.

“A good waiter goes with the flow,” he said, raising his hands in defense of himself. 



 

 

Thanks for reading/subscribing~!