Chapter Eleven

For Happiness

 

-Chapter XI-

“The reservation should be under Lee. Lee Taemin,” Yong Hye told the hostess.

The girl manning the hostess table checked over her computer quickly. Being a waitress herself, Yong Hye could tell that she had been working this job for a while, and the fact that the woman was still able to do it with a smile impressed Yong Hye. Some days, even she would find her patience wearing.

“Right this way, please,” the hostess said, still smiling.

Yong Hye followed the hostess through the restaurant. It was a place she, Taemin and her family frequented, so a few of the waiters recognized her and smiled as she passed. Yong Hye knew that they were all hoping to get whatever table she was at. She tipped well.

Yong Hye was led into a far corner of the restaurant, somewhere that wasn’t technically a VIP section, but it felt that way. It was darker here, and Yong Hye knew a different menu—one with more expensive options—was served here.

“Here you are,” the hostess said, stopping in front of a corner booth, occupied solely by Taemin. “Your server should be with you in just a moment,” she continued as Yong Hye slid into the booth.

“Thank you,” Yong Hye said quietly, flashing the girl her own food-service smile. The hostess smiled sincerely, most likely because of the money Yong Hye had slipped into her hand before she had sat.

“Hey, babe,” Taemin greeted her once she had settled herself, placing a quick kiss on her lips. “How was your day?”

“I didn’t have class, did I?” Yong Hye said, picking up the wine directory in front of her. “My day couldn’t have been that horrible, huh?”

Taemin chuckled. “You know you love school. You always have.”

Yong Hye shrugged. “I hate that I have to get up for it. I’d rather sleep until one in the afternoon than get up at eight thirty to go sit in a lecture hall for an hour an half.”

“Better than dissecting a cadaver though,” Taemin said.

“Touché,” Yong Hye conceded. “But let’s not discuss dead people at the dinner table, honey.”

They both laughed quietly. After they had recovered themselves, Taemin asked, “So what did you do all day, if you didn’t have class?”

Yong Hye’s answer was delayed by the arrival of the waiter, who poured them wine and took their orders. Yong Hye was happy to see that he had never served them before, as tipping the same people as well as she did over and over seemed weird to her.

“I met Taec,” Yong Hye answered after the waiter left.

“Taec?” Taemin questioned, taking a sip of his wine. “Oh, Taecyeon, you mean?”

Yong Hye nodded.

“Interesting nickname,” Taemin said, smiling to himself. “So, what did you guys do?”

“Just talked for a little while,” Yong Hye answered truthfully.

“About…?” Taemin prodded.

“My mom,” Yong Hye sighed. “And what happened at the party.”

Taemin nodded slowly, thinking to himself as he took another sip of wine. “Yeah, that could have gone better, for sure.”

Yong Hye scoffed. “She wants to start planning now!”

Taemin shrugged. “I say just do the big stuff. The venue, the dress, the cake; stuff like that. Figure out the big picture now, so the details aren’t such a stress when the wedding actually gets closer.”

Yong Hye pondered this suggestion. “That’s actually a pretty good idea. I could include Mom on the bigger stuff, so when it gets down to the details, I won’t have her breathing down my neck.”

“There you go!” Taemin exclaimed, a bright grin spreading over his face. He never fully looked grown up to Yong Hye; it was like she would forever see Taemin’s ten year old self when he smiled.

“Your food should be her in just a little while,” a voice said, making Taemin and Yong Hye look away from each other.

“Oh!” Taemin said, recognizing the speaker. “Taecyeon!”

Yong Hye looked up herself, and sure enough, there he was, standing tall over the two of them, a lopsided grin on his face.

“You really do work everywhere!” Taemin continued with a laugh.

“Some days it feels like it…” Taecyeon stage-sighed.

“How many jobs do you work?” Taemin asked.

“Besides this one?” Taecyeon said, thinking for a second. “Three; photographer, caterer, and cashier at that café you guys came to.”

“Wow,” Taemin breathed. “How do you find time for it all?”

Taecyeon shrugged. “When you need the cash, you really don’t care how long you work. As long as they don’t overlap and pay me, I’m okay.”

Yong Hye didn’t say anything. She liked that Taemin and Taecyeon were talking as though they were good friends.

“Yeah, Yong Hye and I met up earlier.” Her name brought Yong Hye back from her thoughts. Taecyeon was speaking. “I made sure to walk her home, too, to make sure she was safe.”

“It was completely unnecessary,” Yong Hye defended herself.

“Well, I’m grateful he did,” Taemin said.

Taecyeon bowed slightly. “I have to go take care of my other customers. I don’t want to lose this job, but your food should be right out. Oh, and congratulations on your engagement.”

Taecyeon walked off with a final wave and smile good bye.

Taemin, after watching him go, turned to his fiancée and said, “You know, at first, I thought he was bad news. Really, he seems like he’s known us for a while. He seems very nice, really.”

Yong Hye smiled, not really sure why she was so happy that Taecyeon got Taemin’s approval.

When their food did come out, a different server brought it, eliminating the possibility for Taemin or Yong Hye to talk to Taecyeon again. The rest of the dinner they spent talking lightly of things unrelated to marriage. And at the end of the dinner, both Taemin and Yong Hye ended up tipping their waiter, knowing it was going to a good guy; and a friend.



 

 

Thanks for reading/subscribing~!

 

 

Quick note: I know updates have been sort of scarce lately, and that's because of a number of things: school, for one, trying to figure out how to end this story, planning a spin-off [NOT a sequel], AND I'm currently working on a new fic that stars a certain former 2PM member.

I'm working as hard as I can, and thank you for bearing with me.

:D