Unspoken Confessions

Untold Confessions

 

“Jihye,” he called out to me as he finally walked through the doors of the café. I placed my cup gently on the table as I stood up to face him. “Did you wait long?” he asked.

“No,” I nodded with a smile. “I just got here.”

I shifted my gaze to the female next to him; she was tall, beautiful, and most importantly, she was in his heart.

“This is Kim Yunhee,” he said with a smile that could light up the darkest room. “Yunhee, this is my best friend, Yang Jihye.”

“Jaebum has told me so much about you!” She said with a laugh that sounded like thousands of melodious harmonies. “It’s finally nice to meet you!”

“It’s nice to meet you too, Yunhee-sshi.”

“Please don’t be so formal with me, unnie! If you’re Jaebum oppa’s best friend, you’re my best friend as well!”

I was slightly shocked by her sudden informal-ness. We had just met, but she has already been calling me unnie? I guess her friendliness is why Jaebum fell for her.

“Would you like to sit?” I asked the two as I motioned to our table. We took a seat and of course, the two were still hand-in-hand. “Have you two decided on a date yet?” I asked them, trying to get used to this atmosphere that I will have to live with for the rest of my life.

Jaebum and Yunhee looked at each other lovingly, “we decided on the fifteenth of June.” Yunhee told me as she gave Jaebum another genuine smile. “Unnie,” she called out as she gave her attention back to me. “I’d like for you to be my maid of honor.”

I stared at her with wide eyes. We had just met, but why is she asking me to be her maid of honor? Isn’t that a position for someone important to her like her best friend?

“Oppa really wanted to have you in our wedding, and in order to honor you, I’d like you to be my maid of honor.” She smiled once again. Porcelain teeth, pale face, pouty lips, and flawless skin, I was immediately jealous.

“S-sure,” I stuttered. “Have you gotten your wedding dress yet?”

“No, I was planning on going today.” She let out a small giggle. “The owner doesn’t like it when grooms are in the shop, so Jaebum oppa isn’t allowed to go. Would you like to accompany me?”

I stared at Jaebum who was staring at me as well. ‘Go with her,’ he mouthed.

“I don’t mind,” I feigned a smile.

“Good! The appointment is in thirty minutes, and the shop is very close by. Let’s go now!” Yunhee stood up and gently grabbed my arm to pull me out of the shop. I looked back at Jaebum who was waving goodbye to us with his careless smile.

 

“Unnie,” Yunhee called out to me once more as we sat in the waiting room of the bridal shop. “What type of dresses do you think Jaebum oppa would like?”

So that’s why she invited me here.

I pretended to visualize the style he likes, but I knew exactly what he wanted. “He likes dresses that show off the shoulders, so a strapless dress will do perfectly. He also likes form fitted dresses, so a mermaid type of dress will be your best bet.”

Yunhee smiled as she grabbed my hands, “you really are his best friend! If I wasn’t engaged to him, you two would have probably already been dating!”

If only.

“Who’s the lucky bride?”

We shifted our attention to the bride consultant; a young twenty-three year old woman who had a large bow in her ashy blonde hair.

“I am,” Yunhee excitedly announced.

We walked into one of the corridors of the fitting room area. The bride consultant, Tia, spoke with Yunhee about what type of dresses she’d like before leaving us alone as she began pulling out some choices.

“Unnie, how long have you known Jaebum oppa?”

This was a question I actually had to think about. “Seven years or so,” I answered. I met Jaebum during first year of high school, so we were about fifteen then, and now we’re both twenty-two.

“The first time I met Jaebum, I thought he was a brat.” I chuckled out loud. “He would always be complaining about everything, he would come to school late, and he would always be last in rankings. For some reason, all the girls loved him.”

I looked up at the white, extravagant ceiling as flashbacks of our past played in my mind.

 

“Im Jaebum!” Mr. Ch0i yelled as Jaebum walked into class forty minutes late. “What do you think you’re doing?”

“Walking to my seat,” Jaebum coolly answered as the girls in the class began swooning. “Isn’t it obvious?” He smirked.

“Y-Yah, do you want detention?” Mr. Choi raised his wooden ruler, but quickly placed it down when the school’s secretary walked in.

“Mr. Choi, this is the student I was talking about earlier.” She motioned to the girl behind her; hair tied in a loose bun and uniform properly worn. “She’ll be your new student.” She reminded before walking out of the classroom.

“Ah, that’s right.” Mr. Choi remembered. “Students, we will be having a new student.” He turned to the girl, “introduce yourself.”

“I’m Yang Jihye,” she introduced with a smile. “Nice to meet you.”

“Jihye-sshi just moved from America, so please be friendly towards her, alright? Jihye, would you like to say a few words to the class?”

“As Mr. Choi said, I just moved from America, so this is my first year in Seoul. My Korean isn’t the greatest, but I hope we can all still be friends. Oh, I get really annoyed easily, so if any of you piss me off, have your graves ready.” Jihye threatened with a sweet smile.

Mr. Choi cleared his throat as the other students obviously looked afraid. “You can sit in the back next to Jaebum; the brat sleeping in the back.”

Taking a seat next to the sleeping young man, Jihye grimaced. ‘I guess my desk buddy won’t be helpful.’

After hours of lessons, the bell finally rang for lunch and people began surrounding Jihye’s table. Of course, none of them wanted to speak to Jihye at all.

“Just ignore them,” a male student chuckled as he stared at Jihye, who was kicked out of her seat. “You see that kid there? Im Jaebum? He’s really popular in this school.”

“Wow,” Jihye sighed. “This is just like a Korean drama.”

“Oh come on, those dramas totally exaggerate things.” A plump female student intervened. “I’m pretty sure not all school in America have a super hot cheerleader who is a and dates the super hot, but oh so angelic, football quarterback!”

“That’s Lee Hana,” the male student chuckled. “I’m Jung Injoon.”

“Yang Jihye,” she mumbled as she stared at her seat that was taken by another female student. “Does this usually happen?”

“Every time Jaebum decides to come to class.” Hana scowled. “He always ditches. I don’t see how everyone likes him! I mean, he’s not that good looking!”

“What did you say?” One of the girls asked as she faced Hana.

“N-nothing,” Hana stuttered as she took a step back. “I said nothing.”

“Did you just say Jaebum isn’t good looking?” She placed a hand on her hip and let out a loud breath. “Are you sure you’re in any position to say that, fattie?”

“Whoa, chill out.” Jihye said as she stood in front of Hana. “That’s kind of unnecessary. I think you need to apologize.”

“Who the hell are you?”

“Yoonji, calm down.” Injoon spoke up, but immediately shut his mouth after Yoonji sent him a deathly glare.

“I don’t think you should be calling anyone names, Yoonji-sshi. After all, Hana can lose her weight. You, however, can’t lose your ugly face.” Jihye shot one of her sweet smiles as the class began a sea of murmurs.

Jaebum ruffled his hair and stared at the scene that was happening in front of him. ‘What the hell is going on?’ he thought before getting out of his seat and walking towards the door.

Jihye, however, was not done taking her anger out. “Where the hell do you think you’re going?” She asked as she grabbed the back of Jaebum’s collar.

“What the ?”Jaebum cursed as he held his neck. “The are you doing?”

“Don’t you know how to control your stupid fangirls?” Jihye retorted. “Because of Mr. Popular here, your fangirls think you’re God and they can say whatever the hell they like.”

“You think it’s my fault?” Jaebum scoffed. “I’m not the one telling them to ing like me! I couldn’t care less if they wanted to like me!”

“Jihye-sshi, it’s okay.” Hana whispered as she pulled on the back of Jihye’s shirt. “He’s not worth it.”

 

“So you and oppa hated each other at first?” Yunhee asked me in surprise.

“Yeah,” I let out an airy laugh. We left the bridal shop a few minutes ago and we came out to lunch at a nearby pasta place. Yunhee looked gorgeous in every dress she tried on, but she ended up purchasing a mermaid style wedding dress with a sweetheart neckline that had a ruffled at the top of the chest, and had Swarovski crystals throughout the entire dress.

“I would have never imagined that Jaebum oppa and you fought the first time you met,” she giggled. “He rarely told me any stories on how you two met.”

Figures.

“It’s really weird, actually. I would have never imagined myself being his friend. In fact, I wanted to kill him every time we came to class. Mr. Choi didn’t allow us to move our seats, so I was stuck with him for the rest of the school year.”

“How did you two end up being friends?” Yunhee leaned in with curiosity. “Was it something that would happen in a drama or fan fiction?”

“Kind of,” I smiled. “It’s very cheesy.”

 

“Are you kidding me?” Jihye asked herself as she stood under the door way of the convenient store. “It’s summer and it’s pouring!” She wiped off the excess water that landed on her and pouted. “I’m nowhere near home and I can’t walk in the rain.”

Jihye crouched down and ruffled her hair as she remembered what her older sister had told her earlier.

“Bring an umbrella; they say it’s going to rain today.”

“Miyoung unnie, it’s summer.” Jihye stared at her sister like she was crazy. “You think it’s going to rain when it’s this hot?”

“Don’t blame me when you can’t come home because of the rain.” Miyoung sighed.

“Why didn’t I listen to her?” Jihye whined as she ruffled her hair once more.

It’s been four months since Jihye moved to Korea, and she’s still not used to the weird weather and atmosphere there. What she finds normal is weird in Korea, and what she finds weird is normal in Korea.

“Do you live near here?”

Jihye looked up to see that it was none other than Jaebum asking the question. Thinking he was on the phone speaking with someone else, Jihye just ignored him.

“Yah,” Jaebum spoke up again. “I’m talking to you.”

Jihye looked up once again to see Jaebum staring at her with an annoyed expression. “Me?” She asked as Jaebum nodded his head. “I live ten minutes away.”

“Let’s go,” Jaebum said as he opened a red umbrella and stood in the rain. Jihye didn’t move an inch and only stared at the sudden nice man in front of her. “Hurry up.”

Jihye scrambled to get up and ran towards Jaebum. The umbrella was big enough for the two; however, they needed to be extra close in order for the rain to not attack them. Jaebum had to place  his arm around Jihye's shoulder for the two to be safe.

They began walking in silence; the only sound around them was the pitter-patter from the rain that kissed the ground. Jihye didn’t know what to say to ease the tense atmosphere, and neither did Jaebum.

“Sorry,”

Jihye turned her head to face Jaebum, who was facing the other way. Probably in order to not show his blushing face.

“Sorry about the first day,” he repeated again. “I didn’t mean to yell at you.”

“It’s okay,” Jihye mumbled as her eyes were glued to the ground.  “I shouldn’t have overreacted.”

“So, uh, we good?”

“Yeah,” Jihye smiled. “We’re good.”

The walk to Jihye’s house felt like it only took about minutes since the two began talking about each other. They ended up finding out that they had a lot in common like the same foods, TV shows, and of course, they hated his mob of fangirls.

“This is my stop,” Jihye said as she was now guarded by the large tree that was in front of her home. “Thanks for walking me home, Jaebum-sshi.”

“Jaebum,” he smiled. “Drop the formalities.”

“Thank you, Jaebum.” Jihye repeated before waving goodbye to him and walking inside her home. “Jaebum, huh? I like it.”

“Mom, Jihye has a boyfriend.” Miyoung nonchalantly announced as she was pasted Jihye and into the living room.

 

“That’s so cute,” Yunhee chimed as she placed a hand over her heart. “That has never happened to me before! You’re so lucky!”

I let out an uncomfortable laugh, “Yeah, lucky.

We had finished eating our lunch and were walking along the sidewalk of a local park. It was spring nearing summer and the weather was absolutely gorgeous. The sunlight perfectly hit the flowers that were blooming and it would be the perfect place to bring someone along for a date.

“Unnie, do you have a boyfriend?”

“No,” I sadly smiled. “I don’t have one.”

“Why not?” Yunhee pouted. “You’re super pretty and a really nice person! I’m surprised that you don’t have someone.”

“The guy I like decided to like someone else. It’s okay, though. If he’s happy, I’m happy.”

“Such a bad guy to not like you! He must be stupid for liking another girl and not you. I bet the girl isn’t even pretty!”

If only you knew that I was talking about Jaebum.

Why am I torturing myself like this? Sure I was supposed to be her maid-of-honor, but that doesn’t mean I have to spend my entire time with her! I pretended to look at my watch and made up an excuse to leave.

“I made another appointment with my unnie,” I said as I feigned a pout. “I have to get going so I don’t keep her waiting.”

As we said our goodbyes, I walked off, not knowing where I was going. I couldn’t go to Miyoung unnie’s house because she was busy on her honeymoon with her husband, Sunggyu. Hana was busy in Japan visiting family and Injoon was at work.

I sighed as I placed my hands in the pockets of my cardigan. Who could I possibly go to?

 

“Taerin,” I called out as I knocked on the door of her apartment. “Taerin-ah, open up.”

“What do you want?” Taerin asked with an annoyed tone as she opened her door. Her hair was disheveled, her bags and dark circles were overpowering her pale skin tone, and she just looked horrible.

“Are you okay?”

“Do I look okay?” Taerin walked back inside her home, leaving the door open. I knew that no matter how tired or annoyed Taerin was, she would never close her door on me.

“Didn’t get enough sleep?” I asked as I took a seat on Taerin’s couch as Taerin poured cups of jasmine green tea for me and herself. “Where is Sehun anyways?”

Sehun was Taerin’s boyfriend that lived with her in her apartment. He was a year older than Taerin, but a completely baby compared to her.

“He didn’t let me get any sleep last night.” Taerin replied annoyed as she replayed the events last night in her head. “He was being so loud last night.” She handed me her cup and took a seat on the opposite side of the couch.

“I don’t want to hear about what you and Sehun did last night.”I said as she took a sip, but quickly reacted to the scalding hot liquid that went down my throat.

Taerin raised her eyebrow, “what the hell are you thinking?”

“Well you said he was loud and didn’t let you get any sleep.”

“We didn’t do anything like that,” Taerin scrunched her face at me. “Sehun brought Luhan over last night and the two started drinking and got drunk. ing Sehun kept screaming about how much he wanted to get rid of his lisp while Luhan kept on dancing around the house.”

“Sounds like a fun night,” I chuckled.

“Jaebum troubles again?”

“How did you know?” I looked at her in surprise. I haven't even said anything about him yet, how did she know?

“The only time you come over uninvited is when you start thinking about Jaebum again.”

“I guess you’re right.” I softly smiled as I stared at my cup, caressing the top.

“Come on, tell Dr. Taerin what’s going on this time.”

“His fiancé, Yunhee, asked me to be her maid of honor.” I loudly sighed. “I said yes and I accompanied her to the bridal store to buy a dress.”

“Wow, you’re so stupid, Jihye.” Taerin said as she took another sip. “Why are you killing yourself over him?”

“I don’t know… I just don’t want to see him hurt. Yunhee seems like a really nice girl, and I honestly don’t want to hurt her either.”

“Are you sure he’s actually going to go through with this? Remember the last girl he said he loved?”

 

Jihye and Jaebum were both out of high school and as if by fate, they were both accepted into the same university. Jihye was majoring in child development while Jaebum was majoring in performing arts.

Due to the fact that the two were extremely close, they ended up renting an apartment together. Many of their neighbors thought they were a couple, even though they insisted that they weren’t.

“Jihye-ah~” Jaebum chimed as he opened the door to Jihye’s room. Jihye was busy studying for an upcoming test, so she was at her desk with her book lying all over the place. “I found the love of my life!” Jaebum sang.

Jihye placed her pencil down and sighed, “Another one?” She knew that this girl was the fifth ‘love of his life’, so it was hard to take him seriously.

“What do you mean by that?” Jaebum asked, offended. He made his way to her bed and plopped himself on it. “Her name is Lee Soojin and she is the most beautiful girl I have ever seen. Her legs and her chest are to die for!”

Everything doesn’t have to be able looks.’ Jihye thought to herself as she clenched her fist. “Isn’t that what you said about, what was her name, Ji Hanbi? You know, the model girl that had the killer body? Or what about Choi Eunji? That girl with the rich parents? Or what about Min Hanbi? That actress chick?”

“Someone’s jealous~”

“I’m not jealous, stupid.” Jihye whined. “I just don’t want you getting hurt in the end. Remember how all of them ended up cheating or dumping you?”

“Aigo, it’s okay! I’m Im Jaebum; I’m the one who does the heartbreaking!”

 

“I remember that,” I chuckled as Taerin retold that story. “That girl really did cheat on him and then dump him.”

“You see,” Taerin said. “He said she was the love of his life, but look what happened. He didn’t marry her, did he?”

“Yeah, but that’s different. Yunhee is his first fiancé; he must really love her if he asked her to marry him.”

“Ji, look.” Taerin shifted her body to where it was facing me. “I know you love Jaebum. You have two choices: either you tell him you love him, or watch him get married to someone else.”

I stayed silent. I knew what Taerin was saying was the truth, but it wasn’t as easy as Taerin was making it out to be. If I tell him that I love him, I'll ruin the relationship between Yunhee and Jaebum. If I don't, I'll live a life full of regret.

 

“Jihye, are you okay?” Jaebum opened Jihye’s door and popped his head inside. He couldn’t see Jihye that well due to the fact that it was dark, and Jihye was lying on her bed, back facing the door. “Jihye?” He called out again, but walking towards her.

“I’m fine,” Jihye replied, careful to not make it obvious that she’s been crying.

“Are you sure?” Jaebum asked, although he perfectly knew the answer.

“Y-yeah.”

“You’re not okay.” Jaebum gently lifted Jihye so that every part of her was being held in his arms. “I’ve known you for six years,” he chuckled. “I know when you’re lying to me.”

Jihye s her arms around Jaebum’s waist and held him tightly as she began bawling even harder. “He cheated on me,” she croaked. “He cheated on me with Eunbi.”

“Shh, it’s okay.” Jaebum assured as he caressed the back of Jihye’s head. “He wasn’t even worth it anyways.”

“Oppa will take care of his , okay?” Jaebum mischievously smiled as he broke the hug. “I’ll make sure he’ll never be able to date again.” Jaebum wiped Jihye’s tears and smiled. “I’ll make sure you’ll never cry over another guy again.”

 

“Unnie, you look gorgeous in that dress!” Yunhee chimed as I walked into the room where Yunhee and the bridesmaids were getting ready.

Yunhee chose our dresses for us; they were strapless pastel pink gowns that flowed every time we moved. It was a chiffon dress that had a studded belt below the chest area that made everything fit. Along with our dresses, we were given four inch heels that obviously helped me since I was only 160 CM.

“You look gorgeous as well,” I said. I wasn’t lying; Yunhee did look gorgeous in her wedding dress. Her make-up was natural with neutral colored eye shadow, false lashes that looked amazing on her, and pink lips. Her hair was left down, and curled in a fashion where she looked like a princess. Jaebum’s princess.

“Unnie, can I talk to you in private?”

As everyone else left the room, it was just us two.

“Unnie, I’m scared.”

“Scared of what?”

“I love Jaebum oppa, but I’m scared to walk down the aisle.”

Tell her she shouldn’t do it. Tell her it’s not worth it.

“Yunhee, it’s just nerves that are speaking. I’ve seen how you two look at each other; you two have one of the best relationships I have seen in a while. As soon as you get to the altar, I assure you that you will not regret it.”

“Thank you, unnie.” Yunhee said as she stood up to hug me. “I’m so sorry.”

“For what?”

“For taking your best friend away from you.”

“It’s okay,” I smiled.

“Thank you.”

“Aigo, you shouldn’t be crying!” I told her as I went to grab a tissue for her. “You’re not even married yet!”

“I’m happy.” Yunhee dabbed her eyes. “So many people have told me not to get married at twenty-one, but I can’t help that I’ve fallen in love. You’re the only person that is giving me your blessing to get married. I’m truly glad that I have a friend like you.”

There’s that pang in my heart. Friend? The person that is in love with her fiancé, soon-to-be husband, is her friend? I don’t deserve to be called her friend.

“We’re starting soon; Jihye-sshi, you have to go first.” One of the groomsmen announced as he stuck his head inside.

“Good luck,” I told her before leaving the room.

Walking down the aisle and seeing Jaebum on the other side, I felt emotional. I dreamed of being in this spot, but today is not my day. It will never be my day.

After all the bridesmaids walked up, it was the bride’s turn. The spectators rised, the music started playing, Yunhee walked down the aisle with her father, and my heart was about to burst.

The wedding went on as scheduled and here you have me, standing next to the bride and groom trying to look like the most supportive ‘friend’ in the world.

“When I first met Yunhee, I was in awe because I wondered how someone could be so beautiful.” Jaebum began his vows. “The moment I met you, I wanted to make you mine. I remember when Jihye told me to be careful since I have a knack for being cheated on and being dumped, but I knew you were the one. The one I can start a family with and live my life with. Kim Yunhee, you are the most beautiful, kindest, and amazing person I have ever met. I love you.”

“Jaebum oppa~” Yunhee chimed with her tears all over the place. “I just want you to know that I love every single thing about you. Even from your flaws, you are still the most perfect man in the world. I’ll love you even if you almost burn down the house from trying to cook. I’ll love you even if you turn all of our white clothing into pink. I’ll love you even if we end up fighting. You’re my everything, and I would never want to let go of that fact.”

“Now that these two have spoken their own vows, is there anyone out there that does not want these two to be wedded?” The pastor spoke. “This is the only moment that is keeping these two away from being together. Speak now or forever hold your peace.”

Speak up, Jihye.

This is your last chance to tell Jaebum that you love him.

It’s your time.

Do it.

“I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride.”

That’s it.

Yunhee is Jaebum’s girl. Jaebum’s wife.

It’s over.

 

We were at the reception party and the atmosphere was a lively one. I sat at the table where the bridesmaids and groomsmen were sitting at. I tried my best not to seem upset. I tried my best to keep my tears in.

“Yang Jihye-sshi,” someone called out my name. “Would you like to say a few words to the new couple?” It was the MC standing in the middle of the dance floor.

I stood up from my seat and made my way towards the dance stage. As I took the microphone, I stared at the couple before me.

“Um, hi.” I awkwardly said as Jaebum and Yunhee smiled at me. “I’m Yang Jihye, and it’s really nice to meet you all. Um, how do I start this? Uh, I’ve been a friend…”

“Best friend.” Jaebum spoke up.

“Best friend, excuse me.” I smiled. “…Of Jaebum’s since first year of high school. When we first met, we fought like crazy. After a while when we realized that we had a lot in common, we became the best of friends. We’ve known each other for about seven years now, and in those seven years, we’ve witnessed a lot of breaking up and cheating. We were always there for each other when something bad happened to us.” Oh, no. Here come the tears. “Jaebum is my best friend I care for him with all my heart and I love him. When I found out that he was getting married, I was scared that someone was going to take away my best friend.  When I found out that it was Yunhee, I was put at ease. If anyone could have Jaebum, it would be Yunhee. She is the nicest and most thoughtful person I have ever met in my entire life. Jaebum truly deserves you. Here I go,” I let out a small laugh as I wiped my tears away.

It’s your time to go, Jihye.

It’s over and you know it.

Let go.

“Kim Yunhee, I trust Im Jaebum with you. From now on, you’re his best friend.”

 


 

A/N:

Thank for reading! Jihye-ah, I hope you like this story! I'm not entirely satisfied by it, but this was the best I could do in a few hours. ^^ I originally wanted to write this featuring B.A.P’s Kim Himchan and my own OC, but I decided that I’ll just write it for a friend of mines~ I also wanted to make this into an actual fanfic, but I realized that I wouldn’t have enough material to make it an actual story. Anyways, thank you for reading! <3