Second Half - The End

Vanished Promises

 

Between Hyoyeon and him, everything has gone to normal after Valentine’s Day. They studied together for exams and they also hung out together with friends. To Eunhyuk, it was all that he needed; to be casual and natural towards Hyoyeon. He actually preferred it that way.

But for Him and his hyung, their relationship was still in progress. Awkward air would always build up after they’d run out of conversation especially when it’s just the two of them. Eunhyuk had long forgotten the frustrations he felt for Yunho, he just couldn’t help feeling slightly uncomfortable. Especially for Yunho who never liked dull moments. He would just give an excuse to leave the situation.

“Is something wrong with you and Yunho-oppa?” Hyoyeon said as they walked their way to their dance studio one Monday afternoon. Hyoyeon stuck her face close to Eunhyuk, eager to hear an answer. But when the latter decided to keep shut, she surrendered, standing up straight with a groaning expression. “Really. And I thought the three of us could go watch a movie tomorrow.”

Eunhyuk stopped in his tracks. “Hyo. Do you still like him?” he questioned her. Because she walked ahead of his pace, she turned around to meet his query.

Hyoyeon searched an honest answer in her heart as she peeked sideways as if thinking so hard. “Well, I like him still. But only as my sunbae in school and in dancing.” She smiled and giggled sheepishly. Her blonde followed her as she turned around again to run towards their dance studio that was more than two yards away. He saw her greet everyone who was inside and smirked. He walked in his usual speed and entered the studio.

“I wonder if I’d get any confessions tomorrow.” Eunhyuk overheard a conversation coming from Gahi and Hyoyeon. He was taking a short break after some dancing. He sat against the mirrored wall and wiped her sweat.

His attention was so focused on the conversation of the two girls going on that he didn’t notice Yunho approach him. “Hey.” He offered Eunhyuk a bottle of water before he sat down next to him. The younger boy toyed with the cover on top of the bottle and stayed silent. Yunho cleared his throat before breaking the silence. “It’s White Day tomorrow.”

Eunhyuk raised his eyebrows. “Huh? Oh yeah, so I heard.” He looked down.

“Aren’t you planning to give Hyoyeon something?”

He raised his head to see Yunho’s occupied and serious expression. “What do you mean? She’s my best friend. Why would I give something to my best friend on White Day?” Liar. He told himself.

Yunho smirked in response. “You’re not so good at lying are you? Your actions always speak otherwise. Every senior in this very studio knows that you like Hyoyeon.” He said eyeing their subject. “She’s a beautiful girl I tell you. Not a bad taste.” Eunhyuk didn’t protest; and upon hearing nothing from his dongseang, Yunho confirmed his accusations. But he’s not letting him go just yet.

“I like her too.” A head turned in surprise. “No, not in that way. But in a sunbae-dongseang way.” Yunho shook both of his hands and smiled dryly. “You should really make a move now.” The older guy patted the younger’s shoulder. “You can do that.”

Eunhyuk stared into nothing and pouted his lips. “But how can I assure that even if she rejects me, we’ll still be friends forever?” he eyed Yunho as he stood up.

“How many promises in movies have actually lasted and kept until the end?”

 

After long hours of agonizing on what to give to her on White Day, Eunhyuk decided on the cool approach. He pictured in his mind the quiet rooftop and the beautiful sunset. He was standing in front of the innocent Hyoyeon. The words “I like you” and stuff came out from his mouth… and…

And…

And? Blank.

He groans in disappointment. Why can’t he see the ending? Will she actually turn him down? Eunhyuk couldn’t believe it. Why was he so popular amongst the other girls while to his naïve best friend he’s just a… how to put it… a normal guy?  Even in her slightest imagination – Eunhyuk assumed – that Hyoyeon never thought of him liking her in that way. She was way too innocent. Too pure.

Grabbing something from underneath his bed, Eunhyuk grabbed a piece of paper. He stared at the image imprinted on the surface. Another smile escaped his lips. He trusted her. He trusted her that she wouldn’t turn him down. After all he was her best friend. She held the picture close to his chest and placed his other free arm on his head. He gave out a very miserable sigh and slept his mind away.

In his dream he wore a white suit. A girl was standing beside him and they were staring at the beautiful sunset. The girl was holding his sleeve and resting her head on his shoulder. Everything was perfect. He just hoped that she was also the perfect girl.

 

“Hyukjae. Hyukjae” strands of gold greeted him early in the morning. It was seven o’clock in the morning. His vision was still blurry from the sudden impact of the early sun coming through his windows. He covered his eyes but tried to focus. “Hyukjae. Why didn’t you tell me that you’re alone in your place last night? I would’ve come a little earlier. Get up already. We’re going to be late.”

He finally got his eyesight going but still he furrowed both of his eyebrows. “Hyo? What are you doing here so early in the morning.” His face was still a little crumpled because the light. He didn’t seem to notice that she was staring from on top of him; leaning her arms against the edges of the bed.

“Your mother called me last night. She told me that you were alone and asked me to wake you up or else you’ll be late for school.” Hyoyeon said as she sat on the cold floor.

“Oh. Thanks.” Grabbing his messy bed hair and pushing the covers away, Eunhyuk stood up from his bed. “I’ll go get ready then.”

Seeing that his best friend was only wearing his boxers, Hyoyeon felt speechless and very, very clueless. Blood shot up her face somehow and she tried her best to cover it with her palm. “Uh… Okay. I’ll go out then.” She hurriedly went out of his bedroom. She leaned against his wooden door, panting.  How could he do that in front of me! Hyoyeon gasped still speechless form the scene.

She felt her heart going wild. And inside her thin stomach, butterflies fluttered all over the place. She shook the image away and walked away from where she was.

 

“What’s wrong with you?” Eunhyuk placed his fork down while nibbling a lengthy sausage. He stared at Hyoyeon with amused eyes. She’s been spacing out ever since earlier this morning.

The blonde shook her head in denial. “Nothing’s wrong with me.” She said in a rather defensive way. She smiled warily before looking back to her all-American breakfast. Really. It was her first time to actually see his best friend in “short sleeping shorts” (boxers). It had gotten inside her pretty quickly as well. Whenever it played back in her mind, her face would always light up in brushes of pink and red. Her heart doesn’t tell otherwise. It would beat uncontrollably.

She played with her sausage and sighed. What’s wrong with me today? This is not like me. She remarked. She pushed her chair away from the table and stood up with an occupied expression. “I’ll go to school first, okay?” Eunhyuk could only nod.

 

Wake up Hyoyeon! Wake up! Lee Hyukjae is your best friend! What in the world is the matter with you woman! She scolded herself mentally as she paced slowly towards the school gates. She was looking down at the ground as she walked and was focused immensely on her thought. Kim Hyoyeon, you better stop your insanity this instant! He will never like you that way. Wake up will you? She sighed as her conscience bid her goodbye and disappeared.

She stopped walking as a pair of skinny arms crept from behind her shoulders. She turned and saw her classmate with a whimsical grin. “Are you alright Jess? You seem to be in a very good mood.” Her eyebrows shot up as she commented.

“Nothing.” Something wasn’t right. Hyoyeon noticed. Jessica Jung isn’t the type of person to be happy over nothing. But noting that she doesn’t her this happy, she disregarded the thought.

On the way to their school, Jessica kept on smiling and it bothered Hyoyeon. She’s peculiarly happy. She grunted. Hyoyeon surrendered another sigh as they arrived in their room. Once seated in her place, Hyoyeon looked sideways to the clear blue sky. She placed a hand behind her neck and – for what it seemed to be like the umpteenth time for that day – sighed. What’s wrong with me today?

 

Hyoyeon didn’t bother to stand up as their history teacher left the room. She was too pre-occupied by the thought of a man wearing his boxers standing before her. She buried her face in her palms and sighed – yet again.

It was their break, she noted. Suddenly almost all of the girls in her class were looking at something from outside of the windows. She got up and went to Jessica who was struggling to see the view. “What’s that?”

“I can’t see…” Jessica was probably tip-toeing her best.

“Omo… look! It’s Eunhyuk! It’s Eunhyuk!” a girl shrieked. Hyoyeon froze at the sound of the name.

“He’s with a girl! Oh my! Who is she?!” another demanded.

Why is he with a girl on White Day? She asked. Why? She felt her chest and questioned why she was feeling that way. Envious. Jealous. Wronged. She felt wrong. Not right at all.

Thoughts battled in her head. She was supposed to be happy right? That finally Eunhyuk decided to answer to a confession. She forced out a smile. And a very disappointed sigh. She went back to her seat and pretended to be happy. If not, oblivious to what was happening.

The next thing she knew, she was sitting on the rooftop bench during lunch break. Alone.

Hyoyeon opened the cup of instant noodles she bought from the canteen earlier. Unaware why she suddenly lost her appetite, she pushed the cup away and plugged in her earphones. She stretched her legs forward and sighed as the tune of BoA’s newest Japanese started to play. She pressed her lips and looked up to the blue sky.

White day…

Still distracted, Hyoyeon turned the volume into maximum. Her lips began to move singing the lyrics silently. A weak smile escaped her lips and she surrendered. Something was definitely wrong. She didn’t know but she had to, somehow she thinks she had to know what.

Insisting that she was okay, she stood up and walked towards the steel banister fencing the rooftop. She felt the warm spring air brush against her skin. She breathed for a few seconds trying to calm the impatient nerves building up in her head. After one final inhale, she let out a very deep and contented sigh.

Hyoyeon seemed to have heard a sound. A muttering sound as if someone was speaking. A very low sound behind her earphones. She shook her head and decided that it was time to go.

She turned around to see a familiar head peeking from the rooftop entrance. The man walked out from the door and came nearer. She instantly turned the volume down and got rid of her earphones. It was her best friend.

Eunhyuk.

And somehow it made her twitch inside to call him her best friend.

Eunhyuk stayed silent for a very long while. So did Hyoyeon. They just stared at each other and felt as if the presence of one another was all they needed.

Hyoyeon smiled and covered with her arm.

Damn. She’s beautiful. Eunhyuk uttered silently as he saw her smile for the first time in the day. He laughed a moment later. And the next thing they knew, they were laughing their hearts out over who knows what.

After pulling their selves together the atmosphere was once again replaced by silence. A very calming silence, a silence that was very comfortable for the both of them.

Hyoyeon leaned against the banister with her elbows. She stared at her best friend. But then again, she let out a very hesitated look. It was somehow wrong.

The latter walked forward and captured Hyoyeon’s arm. Eunhyuk placed her hand in his and traced her fingers playfully. “Hyoyeonie...”

Hyoyeon was speechless. She didn’t know what to feel at the moment. Nor did she want that moment to end. She was silently staring at his features in that proximity. Her heart jumped up and down and the insides of her stomach were definitely trembling. They were about to do some back flips.

“Hyoyeon.” He called out again when she didn’t answer. She wasn’t looking to his face either. She was staring at their twinned hands. He let out a gentle smile. He used a finger lift her chin up and see him.

She breathed calmly. While he, was a little nervous on the inside. Thank god he was good at hiding his expressions.

Eunhyuk sighed and then spoke. “Hyoyeon. I’m sorry. I haven’t been a good friend to you…”

The blonde was obviously taken aback. “What?”

Eunhyuk parted their hands and leaned on the banister next to Hyoyeon. “I was never a good friend from the start.”

Hyoyeon stayed silent. Clueless. She turned around and hugged him from behind. “I don’t know what’s happening but you’re not a bad friend Hyukjae…You never were a bad friend.” Hyoyeon patted him and rested her head on his lean back.

“You don’t understand.” He retorted.

“Yes. Yes I do.” she stepped backwards when he turned to her again.

“No you don’t” he insisted. He knew she’d never understand. Why would she? Never liked him more than a friend anyway. He was just her best friend. And he thought he was okay with that. “Ever since we were kids…” he trailed off looking for missing words he couldn’t put out. “No. When I first saw you…” he paused again, avoiding her curious eyes.  

Somehow, Hyoyeon knew where this was going. It was going to end up like one of those movies she saw with him in the cinema. Where two best friends fell in love with each other. She definitely knew it was. But she was scared. She was scared of something she didn’t know what.

Her mind went blank when she saw Eunhyuk’s mouth open and said the words she never expected to hear from him. A small drop fell down from the corner of her eye. She didn’t know what to feel. What to say even. She was speechless.

Her fingers made their way up to his face. “I’m sorry…” she forced out a vulnerable smile.

His eyes changed their expression. Very soft. Very sad. He knew this was coming. And yet he still persisted. He still hoped. He still liked her. Loved her.

“I couldn’t be your friend anymore.”

Eunhyuk’s heart went from confused to broken to dead. He wasn’t sure what she meant. He didn’t expect anything from it as well. He dropped his gaze and let out a sigh. You did your best Hyukjae. It’s okay.

He opened in attempt to say something but something had cut him off. Something definitely sweet.

Hyoyeon was doing her best to tiptoe as her lips touched his. She would have never known her feelings for him if it wasn’t for him to say it first. Yes. She accepted him. Whole-heartedly. Be it best friend or more. She was happy.

Eunhyuk parted their lips. He stared at her with a flustered face. He was speechless too. But his heart was happy.

“What’s wrong with you?” Hyoyeon smiled. And then she hugged him like she never hugged him before.

 

 

“Hyoyeonie?”

“Neh, Hyukjae?”

“Saranghae…”

 

 

-FIN-

 

A/N: Sooooooo…. I know that it’s just a typical love story about you know, best friends falling in love and all. But I still hope you liked it! Thank you so much for Subscribing and reading this story! I would really like to hear your thoughts about it so please do comment below! Kamsahamnida!~ Sranghaeyooo!!!