First Half - Hello Friend

Vanished Promises

 

After changing his school uniform and putting the clothes in the laundry room, he went back to his bedroom. He gave out a hopeless sigh remembering the face he saw earlier. Why did she have to cry in front of me like that? He complained mentally.

For a quiet guy like him, he didn’t expect for so many girls to confess to him before Valentine’s Day. Too bad though. That Sooyoung girl was cute as well. He gave out yet another disappointing sigh as he crawled unto his bed. He lied flat on his stomach and hugged his favorite pillow which is in the form of rubber shoes. He snuggled with it for a bit before revealing a picture of two kids from under it.

A boy of about ten years of age smiled sincerely to the camera while holding a CD Album with a signature on its cover. The other kid was a blonde girl with plump lips staring at the CD the other boy was holding instead of smiling at the camera.

His lips turned into a curve of blissful smile as he remembered lingering memories from the past.

“Yay! I finally got an Autographed CD of Michael Jackson-ahjusshi!” the young Lee Hyukjae showed his newly bought item from a shop in Seoul to a girl friend his age.

The latter’s eyes gleamed as she traced the black paths of the signature. “Wow! Daebak! Eunhyuk-ah!” her blonde hair swayed at the direction of her head.

“Hyoyeonie… Don’t worry! I’ll buy you a CD signed by Michael Jackson-ahjusshi himself! I promise you that!” Eunhyuk gave the hopeful Hyoyeon a thumbs up in the air.

Apparently he did get to buy a CD for her. He got it for her fifteenth birthday. It was a live coverage of Michael Jackson’s Dangerous Tour; how he felt so happy seeing the girl’s cute smiles that day. His heart would sometimes go crazy just to find a way to keep her smiling.

Lee Hyukjae, or Eunhyuk – the most popular silent guy in school never imagined, not even once he’d like a girl this much. And that girl happened to be his best friend. Kim Hyoyeon. Oh, how his heart ached when he’d see her cry. How his heart flew up in the sky when she smiled. She was – to him – a very addictive pill that can make everything better.

And she was – because of a childish promise – his best friend.

He knew he liked her for the first time when he saw her on the dance floor. The way she popped her muscles to the beat on that day still remained in the back of his head. He couldn’t believe how a small girl like her could dance like a real professional.

“Hyung… Who is the small kid?” He asked Jung Yunho as they both entered their dance studio.

“A newbie… but she doesn’t kill like a newbie at all does she?” Yunho replied eyeing the moving figure in the center of the crowded room.

A beautiful set of remixes were being played at that time and it was all for a single dancer. Eunhyuk started taking up dancing lessons since he was five but he has never seen that girl before he quoted. He had to know her.

“Hi, I’m Lee Hyukjae. But you can call me Eunhyuk.” He offered his hand for a shake after their Wednesday session. He practically grinned from ear to ear as she took his hand in hers.

“My name is Hyoyeon. Kim Hyoyeon.” She shook his hand and smiled before leaving him wordless in his spot.

That was literally all of it. He saw her dance, liked her and promised her – at the age of nine – to be her best friend forever. It was really stupid of him to agree to that vow. After realizing his mistake he has been regretting it ever since.

But, promises are meant to be broken aren’t they? He recalled the quote mentally and smiled.

He shifted his body position to face the ceiling. He rested his head on his rubber shoe-pillows and lifted the picture in the air. His hand traced the girl’s features in the small picture. He smiled once more at the picture and felt his cheeks burn.

“Hyukjae?” a very familiar voice peeking from his bedroom door surprised him causing him to release the piece of paper and drop it on the floor. Startled he stood up and covered the photo with his left foot.

“Hyoyeon-sshi!” he stumbled over his tongue and shook his head when he realized. “Hyo! Wazzup?”

“What’s wrong with you?” Hyoyeon entered his room giggling once she noticed the usual atmosphere. She sat on the floor and lied on the small table. “What do you mean wazzup? We’re supposed to study for our Math quiz tomorrow, remember?” she pouted lazily.

  “Ah!” Eunhyuk pretended to remember the exams. “Yeah. Math quiz…”

Valentine’s Day. Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day for goodness’ sake!

Eunhyuk tried to hide the photo under his bed as he – at the same time grabbed his pillows to cover it. Accomplishing the task, he let out a sigh. He sat in front of his nagging girlfriend and placed a hand on his face.

“Tomorrow’s Valentine’s Day as well… This is so great.” Hyoyeon shrugged her shoulders and shot up with a rather sullen face. “Its Valentine’s Day tomorrow!” she declared as if she just realized what tomorrow is. She leaned in closer and grabbed Eunhyuk by the collar. “Hyukjae! It’s Valentine’s Day tomorrow!”

“I kind of knew that already Hyo…” Eunhyuk smiled hopelessly as his head dangled from Hyoyeon’s grasp.

Eunhyuk swore his head exploded when Hyoyeon suddenly dropped him. “I have to make my chocolates now!” leaving Eunhyuk half-dead lying on the table Hyoyeon stormed outside of his bedroom.

Why? Why does she always do this to me?

What about our quiz tomorrow?

 

“Man, that quiz was so easy.” Leeteuk remarked as he paced slowly towards Eunhyuk’s pink-colored table after the teacher had walked out. “Hey, isn’t this Sooyoung the one you rejected yesterday?” Leeteuk lifted the pink box from the pile of pink and red boxes on Eunhyuk’s table. The small pink box was laced with red ribbons and a card saying “Happy Valentine’s Day” hung around the neck of the ribbon.

That wasn’t the only box present on his table. Im Yoona of class 1-1 who’s like the most popular girl in school gave one box. Seo Joohyun of the same class gave one as well. Kwon Yuri of 2-3 gave the biggest box.

Eunhyuk leaned against the edge of his desk his head staring at somewhere above. Where is she? To whom will she give her chocolates?

“Hyukjae!” a blonde head peeked from the entrance of their room. Her eyes squinted as she called Eunhyuk out with a fanning hand. When she noticed that Eunhyuk already saw her, she disappeared behind the walls.

The man gave himself a smile. I can’t believe this. Really? She’s going to give it to me?

Once he got out of their room he saw his friend mocking beside the border of another room. She was embracing her legs close to her chest and her eyes painted sadness; tears almost coming out. She stared at a point in front of her, lips pressed together in a straight line.

Oops. This doesn’t look like it all… he took his idea back.

Eunhyuk stood at the entrance silently as his expression softened. It rendered concern. He walked slowly to where his friend was and crouched down to her level. “Let’s go.”

He just somehow knew what to do; maybe because they have been friends for a decade already. He had already memorized her pattern. Her needs. Her wants and her habits.

Eunhyuk found himself sitting next to Hyoyeon – who was still by all consideration silent – on the school rooftop. He stayed silent as he stared at his friend. He found a thin box wrapped in pink in her grasp. He didn’t say anything although his heart knew that the box wasn’t intended for him. He had to accept that fact. He had to so that he can still be with her. Still dance with her. And to still see her smile.

He fought the temptation of hugging her and caressing her in his arms. He fought so hard yet he still couldn’t resist it. His hand brushed her long blonde hair displayed on her back. He urged to comfort her in his arms.

Resisting her tears, Hyoyeon buried her face in his shoulder. “He’s so stupid.” She managed to say in between in tears. She rubbed her eyes as she adjusted her position. “I really wanted Yunho-oppa to have my chocolates. I don’t care if he didn’t like me because I like him… I like him so bad… he could’ve accepted even just the chocolates. Stupid!...”

So she likes Yunho-hyung… Silently, Eunhyuk shrugged and cursed under his breath. He let his free hand form into a fist. He knew at moment that he and his hyung should have a small talk later. But right now, he had to be with her. He had to be her best friend.

“Hyoyeonie…” he called out not bothering to look her face. His hand continued to brush her golden hair. “Don’t worry… Yunho-hyung is a fool not to accept your chocolates.” He paused and sighed before he continued. “There are still people who are here for you who will like you no matter what. I’ll always like you. I’ll be here for you, no matter what. Remember?”

She nodded.

“So, are you okay now?”

She shrugged.

He sighed. This time, he finally had the courage to hang his arm around her. “You’re the most beautiful girl I have ever met Hyo. You’re the best, best friend anyone can have. You’re the best dance mate. You’re the best in all aspects. And I thank the Lord for having to meet someone like you.”

Hyoyeon punched his shoulder softly. “There you go again Hyukjae. You’re so good at wining a girl’s hopeless heart.” She smiled knowing that he did it so she’ll laugh. He always said that to her. It made her smile. It even made her heart jump sometimes that she’d leave right away just to hide her flustered face. She would always wonder what his other motives were.

But of course, he’s her best friend. She never expected him to like her that way.  

And that, needless to say has never left her mind.

Hyoyeon stood up, smiling. She stretched her arms, not letting go of the pink box. She turned to look at her friend. “Hyukjae-ah, thanks!” she grinned widely. “You always make me smile. And the next thing I know I’m a-okay!”

The boy remained on his seat. With a serious expression illustrated upon his face, he gave a short sigh. He stood up silently and examined her carefully. She didn’t know what he was up to, nor did she like the deafening silence. So she spoke up. “Hey, last period is almost over now so why not we stay up here and –“her suggestion was cut off by her exploding heart.

She didn’t notice how close he’d gotten while she was talking. Their faces were almost touching and she could feel Eunhyuk’s warm breath. She was speechless, her eyes unable to focus on the features in front of her. She felt him step nearer but she refused. She stopped him by the chest and broke their distance.

“What’s up, Hyukjae?” she said her face red from the shock and a little flustered.

No answer was heard from the man. He wasn’t looking at her either. He cleared his throat and walked to her side, their bodies facing the opposite directions. “Mind if I eat your chocolate?”

Hyoyeon was hesitant but she nodded. She handed her pink box and stared at him while he walked away slowly and quietly. She turned around to see his walking figure and shouted, “Lee Hyukjae! My best friend for life! He is the best, best friend ever!” she dropped her hands upon receiving no reply from Eunhyuk. Best friends forever, right? She questioned herself, almost crying.

We are… best friends…

We will always be…

 

Because all she could see from him was his back, she didn’t get to see the small traces of water coming out from Eunhyuk’s puffy eyes.

Forever… Of course.

After all of those years that he tried to resist, he almost had her. He was stupidly near. They were. At least he thought so.

How could he forget? They were best friends forever. And that fact will never change. His fist turned into balls as he alleged by that fact. He was frustrated. Angry. Annoyed. He was all that but was clueless why. Or to whom.

Was he angry at her? Was he mad about the stupid promise? Was he frustrated at his hyung because Hyoyeon liked him instead of himself? He didn’t know the answers yet. But he wanted to find out. We wanted some answers. Right now.

Storming in the hallway, Eunhyuk saw Yunho with his senior buddies laughing and teasing. He managed to calm down a bit before he called out his hyung. His were still puffy from earlier but it wasn’t noticeable since none of his friends had pointed it out – yet.

“Hyukjae. What happened to you?” Yunho bent down eyeing his eye bags. “Where you crying?”

“Hyung let’s talk somewhere.” He said seriously. For some reason he didn’t appreciate his hyung’s presence although sometimes he’d always look forward in seeing him. But this time it’s a little different. A small voice inside his head reminded him. His fists became robust and curled into balls again.

“Okay. Where?”He said coolly.

Eunhyuk’s patience was running out. Images of Hyoyeon resisting her tears flashed in his head and he immediately had the urge to punch him in the face. But he held it all in. After all, Yunho was his favorite hyung. Regardless of the fact that he made the love of his life cry.

 

“Did… Hyoyeonie gave you any chocolates?” he said as they arrived a deserted stairway.

Yunho scratched his head and placed his hands on his hips. “Did she give you chocolates?” Eunhyuk shouted again, this time a little impatient.

 “Listen. Hyukjae. I don’t get you –“Yunho was cut off by the hard impact of Eunhyuk’s fist and his face. The punch was strong enough for Yunho to fall on the floor. He touched the place where Eunhyuk had hit him and it ached a little.

“Hyung! The girl was crying! She was crying because of your foolishness!” he didn’t hold back anymore. He was mad. Freaking mad that he was shouting at his favorite hyung. Yes. He had to consider Hyoyeon’s tears now.

Yunho smiled. “Really. You two are hopeless.” He stood up and brushed his uniform. He looked at the agitated Eunhyuk and chuckled. “You don’t know the reason why she cried do you?” he paused and came nearer. “Did you ever consider confessing to her? You like her. And you know you do.”

Yunho grabbed Eunhyuk’s shoulder and whispered to his ear. “You better make a move or else I won’t hold back anymore.” The older guy then left Eunhyuk frozen and speechless in his spot.

 

-------------------------------------

 

A/N: Hey guuuuuys!!! I decided to write about HyoHyuk because they are just soooooo adorable! And they’re also my favorite dancers in their respective groups (Oh my, why wouldn’t I pick them as my favorites?) I really, really, really love them both! I also think they’re pairing is so cute! Can you guys share some moments please? Anyways, I’ll add the second/final chapter later :P

Comment and Please Enjoy! Nyahahaha