And They Laughed Together

Stay By My Side

A/N: It's been a long time, right? :) Well, I hope after all this wait, this chapter won't disappoint you too much. 

To be honest, I'm not satisfied, at all. I'm aware there are a lot of things wrong in this story.

HJ & SM's hot and cold relationship for example. I feel I don't write it right. *shrug*  Maybe when I'll complete this story (and I'm determined to finish it), I'll go back and edit some things. Maybe. Maybe not. We'll see.

Anyway hope you enjoy. :) 

 

Chapter 5: And they laughed together.

 

The place was dark of people waiting impatiently for tonight’s concert. So Min was sitting confortably at the bar, curious about Hyun Joong’s group. She knew, thanks to Ah In & So Eun, that he was a fine musician. It appears, So Min mused, that his group was really popular and often played here. She turned to her companion of night.

 

“Why aren’t you playing with them? So Eun told me you were a great singer and guitar player.”

 

Hyun Joong, his back leaning on the bar, just shrugged.

 

“I was really busy last year and couldn’t play anymore. We were originally five, but one of us had to go study aboard and I had to leave shortly after. The last three didn’t want to stop playing so they continued. They’re doing just fine.”

 

“Why did you have to leave?” she asked.

 

“Personnal matter” was his succint and abrupt answer. Realising that she ventured on dangerous ground, So Min left it at that and turned to look over the stage. Deafening cries and applause reasoned all over the place. The three musicians appeared on stage, grinning. They were all very handsome, if the loud scream of several feminines’ voices was of any indications.

 

As she continued to listen attentively to their song, she didn’t sense Hyun Joong leaning over her until he was whispering on her ear.

 

“The guy in the middle is Young Saeng, he's the lead singer now, on his left is Kyu Jong and on his right is Hyung Joon the youngest. We’ve been best friends since kindergarden with Jung Min who’s still in America. We formed the group back in high school. Used to play there in the beginning.”

 

“They’re great, I really like their songs.”

 

He smiled proudly, nodding at her satisfiying answer. Suddenly, he got up and held out his hand, waiting for her to take it. She only raised an eyebrow, confused.

 

“Come on, I’ll introduce them to you.”

 

Almost hesitantly, she took his hand and followed him through the crowd. His grip was soft and gentle, his hand emating warm on hers. It felt....pleasant. While she didn’t take the time to wonder about it ealier that night when he unexpectantly took her hand, the same gesture now was of another feeling. She liked it.

So Min blushed at the thought of how good their hands were perfect for each other. They blent perfectly, as if made for each other.

**

They went back stage, waiting for the group. Hyun Joong hasn’t let go of her hand yet and unconfortable with the feelings she felt just a moment ago, she disengaged her hand from his. He didn’t struggle and let go though he watched her almost curiously as she fidgeted.

His intense scrutinizing was interrupted much to So Min’s relief by a deep rich male voice.

 

“Hey Hyung! Long time to see! Did you finally decide to go back on stage with us?” The one called Kyu Jong asked enthusiastically

 

Hyun Joong turned to his friends, his big grin matching his friends’. They hugged each other.

 

“Not yet, not yet. How’ve you been guys? Glad to see you as popular as ever!”

 

Young Saeng, if she wasn’t mistaken, approched her, bowing slightly as a greeting. She bowed back.

 

“And this is So Min, a friend of mine.” Hyun Joong introduced.

 

Respectfully, she bowed to them. “Hello, I’m Jung So Min. Nice to meet you.”

 

They greeted her back, smiling.

 

“So we finally meet the girl Hyung can’t stop thinking about!” The youngest, Hyung  Joon teased.

So Min and Hyun Joong blushed deeply, the one from shyness, the other from embarrassment. 

The trio chuckled as they continued to tease them, mercilessly.

 

Finally, after a long time of persuasion and a little help from So Min, the trio managed to convince Hyun Joong whom, So Min learnt, was the leader of the group back in the days, to go on stage.

 

The change in Hyun Joong’s demeanour was astonishing, So Min thought. His whole face lit up and she could feel his body relaxed. He was in his element, she realised. This was his world. Music, performances, a loud crowd claiming his name as he sang with his whole heart, dancing with all his might.

So why did he leave that? She wondered. It was so clear to anyone’s eyes that he missed it. He missed performing, singing and dancing on stage, sharing his passion with his fans.

 

**

 

“Heard Hyun Joong and you went to watch his band’s gig, last night?”

 

So lost in her thoughts, So Min hadn’t noticed Ah In sitting next to her, watching her expectantly.

 

“Huh? Ah yeah we did. It was great. They’re really nice too.”

 

He snorted. “Yeah they are. So... Hyun Joong and you...?”

 

She frowned. “We’re friends. That’s all.”

 

Ah In rolled his eyes. “Sure you are. He likes you, you know? He isn’t someone who can hide his feelings. And I’m pretty sure you like him too. You’re just in denial, sweetie.”

 

“I do like him, as a friend only! He’s a cool guy, sometimes exasperating though but cool. ”

 

He smiled smugly which only irked her further.

“Now that’s a progress. You do admit you like him. I distinctly remember saying that you didn’t a few weeks ago.” She blushed at her admission. “ I have to say I was a bit wary about you two together but he really seems to like you.”

 

His smug smile turned softer as he continued. “Last year hadn’t been nice to Hyun Joong. He had to deal with a lot of things.”

 

“What happened?” She asked, unable to resist her curiousity.

 

He shrugged, looking reluctant to talk about it but at her insistant glare, he said  “Some family matter. He doesn’t like talking about it and never told me the whole thing. I just know that it hadn’t been a pleasant trip when he went visiting his family.”

“Hyun Joong’s father left his mother when she was pregnant with him. Left all his debts to them.” Ah In looked disgusted. “You see, his father was a huge gambler, over time, he couldn’t repay his debts so he cowardly left and disappeared.”

 

He looked at So Min’s horrified face and smiled bitterly.

 

“He hadn’t had an easy life, So Min ah. His mother was harrased from the guys his father had debts to. Fortunately, she met someone when he was about 10 years old, I think ? He became a paternal figure for Hyun Joong and took care of everything: the money, his mother, and him.”

“That’s why he always have this sort of barrier in front of people. He usually isn’t comfortable with people, even sometimes with his own friends.” He looked sideway at her. “But he seemed to have made an exception with you.”

 

Tears dropped from her eyes without her consent and her heart ached of pain for the little boy that lost his childhood innocence so early.

 

**

 

“Something’s wrong? You seem preoccupied.” Kim So Eun asked her as they were shopping in the mall.

 

“Hmm? Oh no no. Not at all. I’m fine, just a little tired.” She smiled sweetly at her. After her discussion with Ah In, shopping was the last thing she had in mind. But she promised her to go shopping and she knew Ah In would be happy that the two girls were going to spend some quality time to know each other.

So Eun was the sweetest girl she had ever met. Always willing to help others, always smiling with happiness. She knew they were going to be great friends. But she just wasn’t into trying clothes right now. What Ah In reaveled about Hyun Joong was just replay in her mind and she couldn’t shake it off.

 

She glanced apologetically at her. “Sorry, I’m not good company today. I... I just learnt something about a friend. And I don’t know what to do about it. I don’t even know how to act around him. For a moment, I really enjoy his company, and then the second after, he’s just pissing me off. It’s like dealing with hot and cold at the same time.”

 

So Eun affectionally patted her arm. “I understand. If he’s your friend and you are about him, just be there for him. Let him know you care about him. Whatever his attitude may be, cold or hot, just let him know. He’ll come around sooner or later.”

She then tugged at her arm “Now, should we enjoy your girl bonding time or not?”

 

So Min smiled gratefully at her and laughed. She wrapped her arm around So Eun’s with a determined expression. “Let's go rob the mall, girl!”

 

**

 

He hang up the phone with a deep sigh.

 

Why couldn’t she have a break, seriously? It’s been a month now. It still surprised him how easily she adapted herself to this new and unknown life. She was only beginning to smile brightly and enjoy her life. 

He just wished she would still continue to smile, whatever happened.

 

With a heavy heart, he dialed a number.

 

“Hey it’s me. Listen,  I just had a call from the police. They find something and it’s not pretty. They want her to come back to question her... Yeah yeah I know. Me too. Look, apparently, they found some evidences that it was...”

 

**

 

“Yes, I’m doing fine, I told you not to worry about me. Yes I know... yeah...yeah me too, mother.”

 

The ring announced a visitor. He looked over at the clock. 11:30pm. Who could it be so late?

 

“Look mum, someone is ringing at the door. Gotta go. Yeah yeah, I’ll call you back later. Bye”.

 

Expiring a deep breath, he went to the door and opened it. In front of him was the last person he would have expected so late at night.

 

“Well, now that’s unexpected. You’re catching me totally off guard.” He leaned on the door, smiling.

 

“Aren’t you inviting me to your home?” She asked.

 

“I’ll never tell no to a pretty girl.” He moved sideway and let her in.

 

Having Jung So Min in his little appartment was a strange sight, to be honest. A strange but sweet sight. She looked clearly unconfortable standing here, nervously fitgetting her fingers. He liked seeing her like that, she was too darn cute to pass it up and not enjoy it. And although he would have certainly done that any other time, he wasn’t in the mood to tease tonight. Not after the call from his mother.

Tonight will be straight to the point.

 

“So, what are you doing here so late at night? It’s dangerous outside for a young and defenseless girl like you.”

 

“I... I wanted to talk to you.”

 

“About what?”

 

“I just.... I just wanted to say...” She took a deep breath and forced herself to stop squirming.

 

“I talked to Ah In.” She finally answered. He rose an eyebrow, not understanding. She closed her eyes.

 

“About you. What happened to you before.”

 

He still didn’t understand.

 

“I feel it’s unfair you know. What happened to you. And I also feel it’s not right for me to know it. It’s your own business and I had no right to pry. And I can’t help but think that you probably didn’t want me to know about it. Because we don’t know each other really well. I mean we just met. So I feel like I wrong you and it’s been torturing me all day.” She ranted out of frustation.

 

She continued. “So to balance it out, I think I should at least tell you about it. But ha! That’s the thing! I have nothing to say about me! I don’t even know my real name for god’s sake! So I can’t even repay you back that way so I’m now really frustated and I don’t know what to do about it.” She sighed loudly, looking back at him.

 

A heavy silence surrounded them.

They looked at each other. Their eyes locked.

And suddenly, he laughed. He laughed so hard that he fell on the floor, holding his stomach, eyes crying.

Feeling the ridiculousness of the situation, she began to laugh too. 

And they laughed together.