Chapter 3

Watch Out, Man

The walk to the dorms consisted of Minwoo and Dongjun teasing me about what I should make for dinner. We all burst out laughing when Taehun said they’d be happy even if I just made rice. What made it even funnier was that it was true.

As soon as we got to the dorms, I walked into the kitchen to see what the guys had in the cupboards. I was surprised that there were actually ingredients there.

 Taehun walked in. “Need help with anything?” He asked.

“Eh, I don’t know. I‘m thinking about making some noodles or kimchi.” I felt slightly embarrassed because those were the only two dishes I for sure knew how to make.

Taehun walked over to the freezer. “How about this, you make some noodles or rice and I make some chicken.”

I smiled. “Sounds good to me.”

We set to work on making dinner. We worked quietly, but Taehun and I would still mess with each other while waiting for the food to cook. Heecheol would poke his head in every once and a while. I’d send him a smile and shoo him out of the kitchen.

“He’s worried.” Taehun chuckled, bumping into me.

“Worried? What is there to be worried about?” I asked, sitting up on the counter.

Taehun made sure there was a good distance between us.  “Heecheol thinks that we’re all too close to you.”

“Seriously?” I exclaimed.

Taehun nodded. “That’s why he keeps looking in here. He’s making sure I keep my distance.” I couldn’t believe what Taehun was telling me. Heecheol is possessive? I never noticed it before. Taehun scoffed. “You never noticed?”

This wasn’t really that big of deal, but I still felt as if my world was crashing down. Not another word was said while Taehun and I finished making dinner. I wasn’t even hungry by the time I placed the food on the table.

“Soonbok, you afraid to taste your own cooking?” Kevin teased.

I shook my head. “You guys wouldn’t be eating like you are if it tasted bad. Maybe Hyungsik would though.”

“Hey…” Hyungsik protested with a mouthful of rice.

“I put an extra cup of rice in just for you Hyungsik, so eat up.” A small smile graced my face, but it quickly disappeared when I noticed Heecheol had clenched his fist. “Oppa, are you okay?” I placed my hand on his clenched fist.

“I’m fine.” He smiled. Everyone was watching the two of us. “Why are you asking?”

“You just seem a little…tense.” I shrugged. “Are you tired?”

“I’m fine Soonbok.”

“Is it the rice? Does it taste bad?”

“What’s with all the questions? What has gotten into you?” Heecheol was irritated now and everyone was sitting at the table awkwardly.

“Gotten into me? What’s gotten into you?  Why do you get so tense when I’m talking to the members?”

“What?” Heecheol looked really taken aback.

I felt really embarrassed. “I’m sorry. I-I-I need to be excused.”

I got to my feet and ran outside. I didn’t even bother to put on my shoes. I needed to run away from that embarrassing scene. I stopped running once I realized the bottoms of my feet were freezing, seeing as it had just rained and the sun had gone down, causing the temperature to drop. I was dumb. I should have grabbed a jacket and my shoes, but I saw this as a way to punish myself for accusing Heecheol. I stood in a puddle under a street light and stared at my feet. I heard footstep approaching me, but I refused to look up. I highly doubted it was a stranger, but I didn’t want to take that chance.

“You stubborn girl.” I closed my eyes, fighting back the tears just hearing his voice had caused. I felt my jacket being placed over my shoulders and Heecheol wrap his arm around me and pulling me close. “Let’s get you back to the dorms, before you get sick, and get your feet warmed up, okay?”

“You don’t want to talk?” I asked him.

“We can talk at the dorms.”

“If you think we can…”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Heecheol was getting irritated again. I could feel his grip loosen.

“Taehun told me that you thought I was too close with all the members.” I couldn’t hold back my tears anymore. Thankfully my hair was long enough to cover my face so Heecheol couldn’t see the tears slide down.

Heecheol placed both hands on my shoulders and turned me to look at him. He had a fire in his eyes that I had never seen before, and the spark didn’t even fade when he saw my tears. “Don’t EVER listen to Taehun, understand?”

I searched his face for some sign of a joke, but I found none. He was being serious. “I-I don’t understand. Why shouldn’t I listen to Taehun? He’s my friend.”

Heecheol let go of me and began walking back to the dorm. “Let’s go before you catch a cold.”

“HEECHEOL, ANSWER ME.” I yelled after him.

He stopped walking and turned slightly towards me. “Are you really that oblivious? Do you not see the way he looks at you?” Heecheol had clenched his fists again. “CAN YOU NOT SEE THAT THIS IS WHAT HE WANTS? HE WANTS TO RUIN OUR RELATIONSHIP SOONBOK!”

“Why would Taehun want to ruin our relationship?” I asked out loud.

“HE LIKES YOU, SOONBOK! HE WANTS US TO BREAK UP SO HE CAN TRY AND DATE YOU!” Heecheol looked close to tears. My ignorance had hurt him. I had hurt him too many times today. “Do you understand now?” He asked, looking down at the wet sidewalk, his hair falling in his eyes.

I ran to his side and forced myself into his arms. We both stood there and cried together for a minute or two before I finally decided to speak.

“I’ve hurt you so much today, Heecheol. I would never leave you for Taehun. I…I love you.” That was first time either of us had used those words in our relationship. I was hoping Heecheol would be the first one to say it, but now was the right time for me to say it. He needed to hear me say it.

He hugged me closer to him and placed a hand on the back of my head, holding me close. “I love you too.” He said it back so lovingly; it was almost like we hadn’t been yelling at all. “Can you feel your feet at all?”

“I ran to you didn’t I?” I chuckled.

Heecheol scoffed as he released me from his hold. “Hop on my back.”

“Oppaaaaa.” I whined. “I can walk.”

Heecheol shook his head. “Let me carry you.” I could tell he wasn’t going to take no for an answer but I also got the vibe that he wanted Taehun see him carry me back to the dorms. I skeptically climbed onto Heecheol’s back and he headed back towards the dorms. “I hope you don’t get pneumonia.”

“I’m fine.” I chuckled. “Stop worrying about my feet.”

“Well I’m not the one who was dumb and left without her shoes on.”

I rolled my eyes and rested my head on his shoulder. “Just walk.”