JYP's Deal

The JJ Project

Note: J&J = JJ Project's tentaive duo name before debut.

“Ms. Nam, how about I make a deal with you?” JYP asked you as he sat up, still with a smile on.

“A deal?” you and Ms. Jung questioned.

“Yes, a deal,” he clarified. He cleared his throat. “Ms. Jung, could you please hand me the contract Ms. Nam’s mother has signed?” he asked with his palm up.

Ms. Jung readily handed him the contract. “I guess we won’t be needing this anymore,” he said as he tore the piece of paper in half. Ms. Jung was in shock, while you just stared at JYP’s actions.

He left the remains of the contract scattered on the floor. “Now, Ms. Jung, please type everything I will be saying for the new contract Ms. Nam is going to sign.”

Ms. Jung readily turned her attention to a laptop.

“Wait, wait,” you said in utter confusion. “I am not signing any more contracts,” you added stubbornly.

“But Ms. Nam, I trust that you would like this special contract,” JYP said in a reassuring tone.

You just shot him a questioning look.

“Ms. Jung, start typing this down,” he waved. “Ms. Nam will receive a scholarship funded by our company, to any school she wants, if she is able to comply with the following,” JYP paused to see if Ms. Jung got that all down.

Ms. Jung gave a nod, then JYP continued. “One, she should at least attend vocal training thrice a week.”

“Vocal training?” you were baffled.

“Yes, vocal training,” JYP paused to answer you. “You will need that to perform the next task,” he added. “Two, she should be able to perform any institution that would be requesting her. Acts include, but are not limited to: singing and/or emceeing in live performances, radio shows or in recording.”

You jaw dropped. “Wait, what?! Why do I need to do those?!” you asked hysterically.

 “Because you have a special task in cited in number three,” he paused to smile in a fatherly way. He turned to Ms. Jung who was waiting for his signal to type. “Three, you need to help JYPE’s debuting boy group by researching about 2012’s rookie groups and giving the information you gathered to J&J, and also to any representative of JYPE.”

You were confused. “Why would I need to do the things in two when I could just research about the rookies online?”

“IN DEPTH RESEARCH, MS. NAM,” JYP emphasized. He eyed you. “Now, I could be wrong, but you look like a typical teenager who would also anticipate the debut of any boy group your age…” he started.

You shrugged you shoulders. *Well, he isn’t wrong about that.*

“It would be easy for you to give comments and observations about a group when you get to be around them. These reports should be based on a fan’s perspective. Right now, in this industry, fans like you dictate the success of a new group. The more fans a group has, the more support they receive, the better their chances of surviving in this business,” he explained. 

“Now, we need our new group to have the talents and charms majority of fans expect from a group. You, Ms. Nam JongChae, need to search for these traits and in a way ‘train’ J&J to achieve them.”

You made a face. You still wanted to disprove of the deal. JYP noticed that.

“Ms. Nam, think of this as another part time job. Only, rather than washing dishes and serving customers, you get to be see idols and work alongside with them. Ms. Nam, we are not putting limits to your life, schedule or time with this contract, as what you would expect to find in a trainee’s contract.”

You swallowed hard. *Is this happening for real?* “So you’re telling me, in exchange of a scholarship, I get to work at music shows and just tell J&J what to do to be more appealing to fans?”

“In a crude way… Yes,” JYP perked up. He was pleased to see that you had a somewhat full understanding of the deal. “This is a one time offer Ms. Nam,” he reminded you. “I think that our side has been more than gracious in giving you our offers,” he chuckled. “You won’t be able to find a contract like that from any other company… So what is your response? Should we have the contract printed and signed?”

JYP had a steady smile on his face while Ms. Jung eyed you hopefully. You thought out the pros and cons of the deal. *Think, JC, no one would offer you a scholarship…*

“My time won’t be influenced by this contract right? You won’t oblige me to train during late hours?” you questioned nervously.

“No Ms. Nam, you’d have more freedom than any of our trainees and idols… Heck, you’re schedule would be less cluttered than my own!” he remarked.

*Well it sounds like a good deal…* Two pairs of eyes were waiting for your answer. You sighed. “Okay, I’ll sign the contract.”