Future Dorm Mates

The JJ Project

 

“So that’s what happened,” you concluded your weird story about your deal with JYPE. Your friend Lee YeonJoo gawked at your story. You were over at her house to watch a movie. “What do you think about it, Mikki-ah?” you asked her about her opinion. Mikki was a nickname she had. She was your friend since elementary.

“JC-ah,” she called you using the nickname she made for you. She had covered her face so you wouldn’t see her reaction.

“I know, I know I shouldn’t have signed it…” you started but she cut you off by producing a high-pitched giggle.

 

“That is absolutely amazing!” she chimed. You rolled your eyes. “Does your mom already now about this? What group were you helping again? And when do you start doing your tasks?” she pounded you with questions.

You took a deep breath and answered all her questions in a fast pace. “Yes, eomma’s okay with it. I forgot what their name was supposed to be, and I think I start working with them next week.”

“Woah, lucky you… Working with potential idols,” Mikki nudged your shoulder. “You said they were from JYP right?”

You nodded in response.

“Could it be that they’re J&J?” she asked in a thoughtful manner.

You pointed your finger towards her. “Uh, neh! That’s it! J&J!” you replied enthusiastically.

Mikki’s eyes widened. “Omo~ You’re going to work with JB and Jr.! Waah~ That is so DAEBAK!” she spazzed all of a sudden.

You didn’t understand what her hype was all about. *I mean, they didn’t even debut yet* “You already know who they are?”

Mikki nodded excitedly. “JC-ah, don’t you watch Dream High 2?” she asked frantically.

“Uh, no, I watch Myungsoo’s drama that time…” you explained in a low voice.

“Aigoo~,” Mikki said exasperatedly and switched on her laptop. “I’m going to introduce them to you, so you wouldn’t be that awkward with them when you meet,” she said as she clicked on the browser ad searched for photos of the members. “First Jr.…” she mumbled as she typed his name. She then revealed a picture of Jr. and his profile.

“He’s a bit younger than you are,” Mikki said in a thoughtful manner. “But you’re both 94 lines, so you two should be able to get along,” she trailed off and clicked on another photo of Jr. playing Uibong in Dream High 2.

“Aww~ Isn’t he cute?” Mikki suddenly blurted out.

You shot her a ‘what?’ look, then laughed. Mikki looked embarrassed. “Arasso, I’ll try to be good friends with him,” you said sensing that your best friend might want you to get his number for her.

“T-that’s not what I meant,” she said in a flustered manner and closed the tabs with Jr. in it. You laughed at her reaction some more, then she decides to find the next member’s profile, JB.

You immediately stopped laughing and squinted your eyes to get a better look at the photo. *He looks… Familiar…*

“You can have this one,” Mikki joked as she opened another picture of JB.

Your eyes widened in horror.  *Wasn’t he the rude hoodie guy from the noodle shop?!*

Mikki studied your reaction. “Hey, are you okay? I was just joking…” she checked if you were alright. You turned pale as if you saw a ghost.

“Aish! This guy?! Seriously?” you yelled exasperatedly as you remembered how rude he was. You still don’t regret making him wash the dishes even though he was telling the truth about having a manager.

“What? I don’t think he looks too bad…” Mikki replied innocently. You face palmed yourself and told Mikki the first time you met JB.

Mikki’s initial reaction : “YOU MADE A DEBUTING IDOL WASH THE DISHES?!”

- - - - - -

JB was watching videos of b-boys online when Jr. came in his room. “Jaebummie-hyung!” an excited Jr. quickly sat on JB’s bed. “You wouldn’t believe what the manager told me earlier,” he said still not losing his excitement.

JB paused the video he was watching, to pay attention to his dorm mate and his future group mate. “What?”

“Manager-hyung told me a girl was going to live with us!” he exclaimed.

JB’s eyes widened as he instinctively stood up in shock. “You’re not messing with me are you? Who did they say she was?”

Jr. shrugged his shoulders. “Well, he mentioned a name, but I forgot. They say she is supposed to help us in our debut.”

JB’s shoulders deflated, and he sat back in his seat. He was hoping for a girl around their age to live with them. Not some ahjumma who would tell them what to do. “What is she some old executive, producer person that would give us more training?”

Jr. shook his head. “I don’t think so… I mean manager-hyung said she was supposed to be a trainee. They said she was really good at singing, like, IU good, so the company gave her another job.”

JB’s face perked up when he heard IU. He thought that if the girl was supposed to be a trainee, then certainly she didn’t look to bad or was that old. Plus, if the girl was IU good, then could it be… “Is she living with us because she’s going to debut with us?” JB plainly asked.

“Don’t know,” Jr. answered innocently. “Manager hyung just told me that part of JYP boss’s plan is to let her live with us,” he paused. “But he did mention that the company wants a talent like hers to debut under our label…” he trailed off. “Ugh! The details are sketchy!” Jr. scratched his head exasperatedly.

Just then, JB’s phone vibrated in his pocket. He took it out and answered it. “Yobuseyo?”

“Jaebummie, this is manager-hyung,” the other line said. “Come to boss’s office now, he wants to talk to you about the new recruit.”

“You mean the girl that supposed to live with us?” JB slyly asked.

The manager chuckled. “So I see Jinyoungie junior already told you,” he mused. “You two need to be here by 30 minutes before boss shows up, arrasso?”

“Neh, neh,” JB answered, then ended the call.

- - - - - - - - - 

“You see boys,” JYP said over his fancy looking table. JB and Jr. were seated in two chairs in front of him and were listening fervently as he unfolds his plan for the two and their new found dorm mate, JC. At this point JYP already explained your contract with JYPE and your role with J&J’s debut. “Ms. Nam JongChae makes a very fine potential asset for our company, thus we try our hardest for her to debut under JYP Entertainment.”

The two just look at him in understanding and waiting for his additional explanations.

“The problem is,” he paused and looked at the two. “She doesn’t want to be an idol,” he added in disappointment.

JB was somehow caught off guard.

“A person like that exists?” Jr. remarked.  

JYP sadly nodded. “Teenagers around your age, dream about performing on stage and debuting as idols. She’s quite the odd ball. But, I’ve got to admit, I’d really hate it if she missed on being exposed to the music scene,” their boss explained. “So, you boys need to do me a little favor when she goes to live and train with you,” he studied their reaction. “You need to get her to like being an idol. Expose her to what’s good about it,” he paused. “I know being an idol isn’t all good, but it isn’t all too bad is it? If she suddenly decides that she wants to debut as an idol, then JYPE would be more than happy to welcome her to JYPE nation.”

The two nod to express their understanding and agreement to JYP’s statement.

“It’s nice to see that is understood,” JYP gave off a fatherly smile. “Since there are no more questions… You two are dismissed.”

The two boys gave a 90 degree bow and chorused a “Kamsahamnida” before heading for the door.

“Uh, JB, Jr.,” JYP called for them before they got out. The two turn around. “Try to be nice to Ms. Nam.”