Chapter One

Suffocate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter One

 

"Are you sure that's her? Wouldn't she have come with a disguise?"

"Duh! Just look at that bag! Ooh, and that designer dress!"

"Yeah! It's gotta be Jung Yuri if she's got things like that.”

“I wonder what she’s doing at a small café like this..."

Yuri let out a soft sigh, feeling her cheeks burn red in embarrassment. She didn't feel comfortable hearing people gossip about her. Didn't they know that their "whispering" could be heard clearly? All she was doing was drinking some tea and talking with her best friend at a café. Was that really something so big?

The blonde beside her spoke up. “I seriously want to rip their mouths off, those old hags.”

Yuri let out a small laugh. Her best friend, Jessica, knew exactly how to make her feel better. Unlike the quiet Yuri, Jessica had always been more loud and bold. She was daring, confident, and stuck to her opinions strongly. Perhaps that was the reason why she had become a lawyer. With her personality, no one could possibly go against her.

She was also the younger sister of Yuri’s husband, Jung Yunho. The two were alike in many aspects. Both were very competitive, intimidating, and cold around people they were unfamiliar with. Unlike Yunho, however, Jessica had a warm, cute personality once you became comfortable with her. In that way, she was like her younger brother, Yonghwa.

“It’s crazy how many females are obsessed with you, Yul,” Jessica chuckled. “You and oppa are called South Korea’s perfect couple.”

Yuri took a sip of her tea. “Well, they don’t exactly know the truth. On camera, we do actually look like a happy couple. We hold hands, kiss, and hug. It’s just that the public doesn’t see what happens behind the scenes.”

“Though he’s my brother, I don’t see why you would marry him,” Jessica ranted. “He loses his temper so quickly and treats you like . He’s a total bastard. As your best friend, I think it’s best to divorce him and find someone else.”

“Jessica, don’t be ridiculous. Yunho is not a bastard,” Yuri retorted. “Even though he’s rough and he mistreats people sometimes, he’s definitely a kind-“

“Person on the inside,” Jessica interrupted. “Blah, blah, blah! I’m serious, Yuri. I don’t know why you’re staying with someone who is abusing you emotionally.”

“I’m serious too. It’s because I love him.”

Jessica shook her head. “Don’t waste those kinds of words on my brother. I’m not stupid. I know how much you cry every night. He hurts you so much. He’s a horrible husband. Don’t expect someone like him to think about your feelings. He’s a greedy, selfish person, Yuri.”

“He’s lonely and broken. Yes, he may make me feel like nothing, but when I look at him, my heart aches. If I leave him, he’ll be all alone and my heart won’t be at rest. When you’re in love with someone, you don’t care about their flaws anymore. You want them as they are. Imperfect and real,” Yuri said softly.

Not wanting to argue anymore, Jessica gave up. “I’d rather die than fall in love and say mushy things like you. I’ve gotten goosebumps because of you!”

Yuri giggled. “You’re going to fall in love with someone one day, Sica. Someone that you’ll be so crazy about.”

“Yuri, please!” Jessica snorted. “There are no decent guys around me anyway!”

“Oh really? You tell the truth when you’re drunk. A few weeks ago, you and I went out for some drinks, and you got drunk and started gushing about how attractive and cool my brother was. I swear, if Jiyong-oppa heard what you were saying, he’d-“

A sudden voice interrupted their conversation. “I’d what, Yul? Were you guys talking about me behind my back or something?”

A fierce blush spread across Jessica’s cheeks as she glanced up to see Kwon Jiyong, Yuri’s older brother, standing beside them.

“Oppa!” Yuri exclaimed. “What are you doing here?”

“Well, I visited Dara and while I was driving back home, I decided to stop here for lunch. I didn’t think that you and Jessica would be here,” He explained. “Well, since we’re all here, let’s eat together.”

Kwon Jiyong was Yuri’s older brother and the middle sibling in the Kwon family. He had a friendly, playful personality. His only flaw seemed to be his habit of dating different girls every week. Due to his good looks and musical talent, he had always been popular. He wasn’t exactly a mean person, but he was heartless when it came to breaking up with women.

He was a music producer. If there was one time that Yuri was afraid of Jiyong, it would be when he was composing tracks. During that time, he was always the most sensitive and moody.

He took a seat between Jessica and Yuri. He flashed a smile to Jessica. “Hey, Jess! Long time no see, huh? You’ve gotten prettier these days!”

Jessica wet her lips nervously. “Thank you.”

He placed a hand on her shoulder, causing her to stiffen up immediately. “Hey, no need to be so stiff! You’re Yuri’s best friend! That means you’re my buddy too! If you ever wanna hang out, just call me.”

He added a wink, which made Jessica blush even more.

“Oppa, please stop doing lecherous things to Jessica. I thought you came here to eat? Then eat and leave,” Yuri said.

Jiyong rolled his eyes. “Well then, sister. Be a meanie. In any case, how are things going between you and Yunho these days?”

While saying Yunho’s name, Jiyong’s face hardened. Jessica shuffled in her seat uncomfortably.

“No offense, Jessica, but most of the time, I want to beat the out of your older brother.”

“Don’t apologize,” She said. “Because most of the time, so do I.”

“Things are the same. And both of you, please stop badmouthing Yunho. It’s not as if he hits me or something,” Yuri joked.

“He may not hit you, but he treats you like you’re nothing. He makes you cry. He makes your heart ache, and as your older brother, I can’t forgive him,” Jiyong said seriously. “You treat him as if he’s your king, yet he doesn’t even consider you as his lady.”

“Oppa, I’ve told you this so many times. I am not leaving Yunho, no matter what. I might sound pathetic to you, but this is and will always be the truth,” Yuri said firmly.

“Can you at least try meeting a new guy?” Jessica suggested.

Yuri looked shocked. “Sica! I’m a married woman!”

“Actually, that’s exactly what I was thinking,” Jiyong said with a smirk, pulling out his phone. Remember Siwon? Well, he’s still single. And he’s a great guy. He’s manly and sweet to women. Try meeting him, Yul.”

“Oppa, as I said before, I am a married woman. I am not gonna go meet some other guy and leave Yunho, okay? Stop wasting time,” Yuri replied sharply. “Besides, I’m just friends with Siwo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter