Chapter Two

The Secret Sister

 

The other four members of BigBang sat in one of the lounge areas in YG, each quietly thinking about their leader. Daesung and Youngbae were both seated on the sofa while Seungri sat in the floor in front of the sofa and Seunghyun sat in the chair across from them. They were all sad for Jiyong’s loss, but also curious about the fact that he was bringing back his little sister with him. From the way that their leader acted, the two were very close. So that left them to question. What was Kwon Eun Mi like? Was she like her older brother, or completely opposite?

Seungri shifted in his spot, which was generally a warning that he was about to speak. The maknae did not disappoint. Leaning forward slightly, Seungri glanced towards the others before he all but blurted out his thoughts. “I wonder if she’s hot.” Seunghyun glared at the youngest of the group while Daesung and Youngbae swatted him across the back of his head. “What?! It’s a perfectly logical question! Jiyong and his older sister are attractive! But that doesn’t guarantee anything for his younger sister!” He quickly tried to defend himself but only earned more swats to the back of his head.

Seunghyun looked to the maknae and then shook his head. “It’s disrespectful to Jiyong to talk of his sister in such a way. Also, it makes it seem like you would be interested in pursuing her once she arrived in Korea.”

“Hyung! It’s not like that! I was just being curious! I promise! I’d never disrespect Jiyong-hyung that way!”

He nodded at the flustered young man. “We all just need to be there for Jiyong. He still wasn’t on good terms with his father the last time they spoke and now he’ll never have the chance to tell his father that he was forgiven.” The others nodded solemnly. “Jiyong and his sister should be returning to Seoul today.”

Just at that moment, Teddy stuck his head into the room. “Hey, I thought I’d let you guys know that Jiyong is back. He’s here. He’s got his sister with him…the younger one that no one knew about. Her hair is brighter than yours or Jiyong’s have ever been.” He told Seunghyun with a laugh. “I just saw them walking through the lobby, they’re probably on their way to YG’s office.” He turned to leave but stopped. “He looked like he could use his friends. You guys should meet him up there and see if you can cheer him up.” And with that he left.

The four men sat there staring after the one that had just left for about a minute before they all jumped up, quickly making their way to the CEO’s office. As the elevator opened to reveal their destination, all four stopped to stare at figure sitting beside YG’s office door. She sat on the floor, her knees pulled to her chest, her face buried in her arms which rested atop her knees. Her bright fire engine red hair glowed beneath the florescent lights. Seunghyun slowly stepped from the elevator, the others following quietly behind him. This had to be Jiyong’s sister. He’d said she was only a year younger than he, but she was so tiny. Seunghyun slowly knelt in front of her. He then reached out his hand and tapped her gently on the arm.

He felt the breath catch in his chest, as deep, sad blue eyes connected with his. He couldn’t remember the last time he’d seen such sadness. She resembled Ji a bit in the face. But at the same time, she was completely her own person. Her full lips were fixed into a frown as her deep eyes searched his face. Seunghyun then realized that he had been staring. “Uh, I’m Seunghyun and this is-“

“I know who you all are.” She replied softly and quietly. “You’re Ji’s friends and band mates.” She looked to the rest of them. “You’re Youngbae, you’re Daesung, and you’re Seungri. And since you all are here standing before me, I can safely assume that you know that I am Eunmi, Jiyong’s younger sister.” She stated matter-of-factly.

Seunghyun and the others only nodded. Her proper and formal way of speaking suggested that she was very educated. Eunmi then unfolded her legs and made to stand. Seunghyun quickly stood and then offered her his hand. She paused for a moment, looking from his hand to his face. Her face was completely unreadable. She then placed her hand inside his. Her hand seemed tiny as he wrapped his long fingers around hers and helped her stand. The top of her head didn’t even reach his chin. She looked down at their hands and then back into eyes, drawing her bottom lip between her teeth. He felt his face flush with embarrassment as he quickly let go of her hand. He’d only just scolded Seungri for having possibly impure intentions towards Jiyong’s sister and here he was holding her hand and staring into her eyes. He needed to get a hold on himself.

Seungri then tilted his head to the side observing Eunmi. “How old are? You’re very tiny!” He exclaimed which received him a slap on each shoulder from his hyungs.

Eunmi smiled slightly, revealing straight, white, bunny teeth. Seunghyun found them cute. He then mentally slapped himself for the thought. This was Jiyong’s sister! “Well, I’m older than you Seungri! But younger than the rest of you.”

They all chuckled for a moment and then an awkward silence enveloped them. Seunghyun used this moment to observe Eunmi a bit more. She was pretty but more in a cute way than a drop dead gorgeous way. She had big blue eyes, most likely from her grandmother’s American heritage, pouty lips, and a cherub like face. Everything about her was tiny and petite. She wore faded skinny jeans and a graphic t-shirt with a smiley face wearing glasses on it that said “Cute but nerdy.” Her small feet were clad in Converse high tops. Her bright red hair was pulled into a high, side ponytail. Words such as cute and adorable would be the best to describe her. She nervously chewed her fingernail as she stared at the floor. It was obvious that she wasn’t the most confident person.

Suddenly the door behind them opened and Jiyong and YG stepped out. The two looked at the group gathered outside the office. Eunmi seemed to automatically drift towards her brother. YG put squeezed Jiyong’s shoulder and nodded towards the others before he returned to his office, closing the door behind him. Ji put his hand on Eunmi’s shoulder. “Well I guess you all have met then!”

They all nodded. “Teddy told us that he saw the two of you heading up here, so we decided to come up.” Seunghyun explained. “We wanted to make sure you were alright.”

Ji smiled sadly. “I’m as good as can be expected.” He looked down to Eunmi, who was looking at the ground. “We’re going to head to my apartment. The funeral is tomorrow. I’d like it if you guys could be there tomorrow.” He handed a piece of paper to Seunghyun. “All the information you need to know is here. We’ll see you guys later.” And with that, Jiyong led his sister towards the elevator. The siblings waved on last time to the other four men.

Seunghyun felt butterflies in his stomach when Eunmi’s gaze lingered on his for a bit longer than the rest. He closed his eyes for a moment. He hadn’t felt this way in a long time. He’d have to nip it in the bud before it got too out of hand. Jiyong was one of his oldest friends; it wouldn’t do to betray his trust by having feelings for his sister. Besides, he’d just met her. Obviously, it was just physical. It would be easy to forget. He turned to find the others staring at him. “What?”

“You like her, Hyung!” Seungri blurted out. Youngbae and Daesung nodded in agreement.

Seunghyun played dumb. “She’s nice… I have no reason to dislike her.”

“Hyung, you know that’s not what we mean!” Daesung exclaimed.

“We shouldn’t be talking about Ji’s sister like this. Come on, we should all get home, so we’ll be rested for the funeral tomorrow morning.” He replied instead of answering them.

The other three men shared a look before shaking their heads and following their hyung. If he was going to deny it, they weren’t going to fight him. They knew he liked to keep private matters to himself. He also saw himself as setting an example for them. He had just finished telling Seungri that it would be disrespectful to Jiyong to pursue Eunmi, thus he would not do it himself.

Eunmi lay across the sofa in Ji’s apartment, her head resting on Gaho. He’d momentarily sniffed her face before deciding this was fine. Both were watching Jiyong as he paced back and forth through the living room on the phone, trying to iron out the final details for the funeral tomorrow. It was decided that her mother and their father would be buried next to one another as they were married. However, there had been a mix up over which wife was being buried next to him, and they had put Ji’s mother’s name on the headstone instead of her mother’s name. She closed her eyes. The whole thing just made her sick at her stomach and she didn’t want to think about it.

Suddenly, concerned, deep brown eyes flashed through her mind. Her eyes shot open. She had to stop thinking about him! He was her older brother’s friend and band mate! He was just being nice to her. It didn’t mean anything that his hand had lingered longer than it should have. Of course, he’d been concerned! She’d practically been curled in the fetal position on the floor. She was naïve when it came to men… Hell, she’d never even had a boyfriend. She’d always been too focused on school. But it was hard not to be focused on the one talent she had. Also, moving around as much as she has with her mother in the military had made it difficult to make friends, and by the time they had settled in America, she’d been too shy to really try.

But it was hard to ignore her reaction. She’d never experienced butterflies in her stomach just from shaking someone’s hand. She sighed as she watched Ji finish one phone call just to make another. Eunmi felt her heart jump when he said Seunghyun’s name and she realized that he must be who Jiyong had called. A funeral wasn’t a place one socialized, but if it meant she’d get to see him again, she hoped he’d be there. Eunmi had always looked at things logically, and feeling this much excitement over someone she’d just met barely seemed logical… But she couldn’t deny that it was intriguing.