Sequel of I Promise You

I Promise You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Walking out of the crème colored building, the tall handsome man put the khaki cap on his shaved head. As soon as he went past the mesh doors, opening at his passage, he went to hug his parents.

“My son, whispered his mother, snuggling against his chest.

He smiled, his eyes going mistmatched as he felt her tightened her hold.

— Let him breath, his father rolled his eyes as he pat him on the back. I'm proud of you.”

Deeply touched by the words, he nodded.

When she pulled away, his mother readjusted his military jacket and brushed invisible dust off his name tag. Shim Changmin.

He then looked over his parents to see his long-time friend, smiling at him. Jung Yunho. Despite not being his bestfriend, the latter was one of the most important persons in his life.

“Where are the others?

The older man rubbed the back of his neck and a small smile.

— Sorry...they couldn’t make it. Changmin's chest tightened but he pushed back the disappointment he felt. They have a tight schedule. Sorry.

— I understand, he nodded. Then he looked down and more to himself, he mumbled under his non-existent beard, pff just you wait, I'll kick yours asses when I catch you.

— What did you say?

He jumped and met Yunho's eyes.

— O-oh nothing, he replied with a small smile. It changed into a disheartened pout when Yunho turned his back to him.”

While he knew he shouldn't feel bitter that they didn’t come to welcome him back, he couldn't control his feelings.

Like every Korean man, he did his two-years military service. Alongside his comrades, their chiefs trained him hard. Yunho hadn't lied to him when he said how difficult it was. Exercise shirtless in the snow was amongst many things he did. Every morning, they ran in the woods for kilometers. They learnt to manipulate weapons like knife, gun and much more.

The days were long and tiring. Many things were exhausting such as learning to fight and training his fighting skills with his friend.

Yet, all of this made him stronger than ever to face not only a war but life which honestly could be a sometimes. One thing that could help him in life was the gesture of first aid.

Some used to say that the military service helped to make a real man out of a boy. He thought it was very much the truth. It had built a new confidence in him, something different from facing thousands of fans. He thought he understood what life was now. He knew how difficult life would be, but he learned these two years that if people were there to help you, then the obstacles would be easier to climb.

As soon as he went out to stand on the small stage prepared specially for him, yells and cheers of fans outbroke the silence.

Jung Yunho and Shim Changmin, the duo forming Dong Bang Shin Ki smiled to Cassieopia. Staring at them, he realised how he missed the stage. Even if he had performed whil he was doing his service, it was different. First, it was another public. This one, watching him, was a specil one.

“Hi everyone. First of all, thank you for coming. I'm happy to see you all. Thank you for waiting two long years for me. To every phrase he spoke, fans cried out how they supported him. I can't thank you enough for your trust in me. His throat tightened but with a cough, he loosened the knot. These two years were difficult, yes. But it was two fruitful years. I learned to give my best. They made me stronger than ever. I’m prepared to face life’s difficulties. I’m proud to have done my military service. While it wasn’t easy every day, it managed to make me more aware of the situation we can be. I’m proud to be able to defend my country and protect everyone. I also made a lot of new friends. At first, it was difficult; we were all different but we worked together. The diversity is what allowed us to advance further, to complete each other. I just want to tell to you that I’m here in front of you, being more mature and stronger. I hope to be able to show you this side of me. Thank you for your support and love.” 

Changmin brought his hand to his temple, then bowed in a perfect ninety degree inclination.  

Every person here clapped their hands showing. After responding to a few questions, he waved with a small “see you soon” to his fans.

Once inside the jeep with his parents and Yunho, he looked at the blue sky through the window. He recalled one of the most courageous things he did.

 

                         Dear Lee Sooman,

 

I write you this letter to express my feelings.

To begin with, I would like to thank you. Thank you for giving me this wonderful chance which was to become a part of SM. Thanks to you, I went from a nobody to a well-known singer.

Without your help, along with the teachers’ help and the staff’s help, I would have never been the one I am now. Choikang Changmin.

I'm a part of this awesome group, Dong Bang Shin Ki, and I'm proud. When I remember that our name was supposed to be O Jang Yukbu (the Five Viscera), it makes me laugh. I’m glad we choose Dong Bang Shin Ki. I’m thankful to all the people who helped us to become what we are now.

When I first step in this company I was afraid. I knew no one but after a while being a trainee, I made a lot of precious friends. When I became a part of Dong Bang Shin Ki, I made myself four friends, four precious brothers I will never forget, nor leave.

When I came in this company, I was like a baby who couldn’t walk without his parents’ help. Thanks to you, I’m able to stand proudly alone, and on the stage.

Thanks to you I can spread my wings wide and fly by myself. You made of me someone strong and independent.

From the baby who couldn’t walk, you made me a man who can stand on his own legs. You gave me strength. You caught me every time I fell, helping me to stand up like a mother would do for her child.

I’m thankful for this wonderful opportunity you gave me to be a part of Dong Bang Shin Ki.

After the lawsuit with Jaejoong hyung, Junsu hyung and Yoochun hyung, I was afraid to never be able to sing under the name of Dong Bang Shin Ki, but thanks to our hard work, I was able to.

I’m thankful that Cassieopia never lost their faith on us, even if incomplete. Because DBSK was built by five members.

I’m thankful for they waited for us and supported us after so long. I’m thankful that even after the lawsuit; you gave us a chance to pursue our dream of being singers.

After the three left, Yunho hyung and I worked really hard, we gave our best to try to not make obvious the vacuum on the stage and in our songs.

Somehow, we managed, but there is always this vacuum in our songs, which can be filled thanks to only three people.

When I  look at our apartment, I always feel like it’s empty. I lived with them for so many years that my mind is full with memories of them, us watching the TV, us eating together on the table.

I miss receiving advices from Jaejoong hyung, I miss listening to Yoochun hyung’s new musical composition and I miss listening to Junsu hyung’s explanation when it comes to our choreography.

I miss the way we all argued to know who would sleep in the bed, in the couch or outdoor like when we were on vacation. I miss bullying my hyungs and I miss the good humor and the joy which were filling the atmosphere oF our apartment.

Even if Yunho hyung tries to make the lack less visible, I can sense it. I can see the pain and the hurt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter