I Told You

Waiting For My Phantom

 

 

 

 

Krystal was on her way home from school when a hand suddenly grabbed her by the hair and dragged her to somewhere.

 

She ended up on the old gymnasium, the one which is rarely used because of the rumors that it was cursed.

 

“I warned you already. But what did you do? You didn’t let my group copy on your test paper!”

 

HyunA, Krystal’s classmate, slapped her across the face. It didn’t end there, her group joined in too. They had hit Krystal numerous times until she fell unconscious.

-

Krystal groaned as her consciousness came back. She was about to go out of the place when she suddenly hear someone sing.

 

Through the darkness you will find me

It is where I keep my love

No one will find it

Unless you'll come

Come, come into my world

Take away the pain, take away the pain

Show me once again what true people are

Love me and keep me wherever you are

 

The voice that Krystal heard somehow enchanted her; she wandered more around the isolated gymnasium.

 

She was baffled of where this angelic sweet voice came.

 

"Anybody here?" Krystal shouted, so desperately to find the owner of the voice.

 

In the back stage of the mini theatre found inside the gymnasium was a short haired girl singing, it was Amber, the owner of the voice. She was hiding behind the curtains hanging on the mini stage.

 

"Is anybody here?" Krystal asked out once again.

 

Amber decided to play along and made up another impromptu lyric to reply the unfamiliar lady.

 

I can hear you, but I can't comprehend what you say

Try to sing what you ask

If you refuse, I'll stop and make you dismay

 

"There's no harm in trying, I guess" Krystal mumbled to herself and did what the anonymous told her.

 

Where could I find you when this place is filled with nothing?

I could hear your voice but cannot see you

It would be nice to be a friend of you

So tell me, what's your name?

I would like to know

 

Just when Amber thought that the "visitor" wouldn't reply, she heard the voice. And to her surprise it was melodic as hers. She replied with another free verse.

 

Call me whatever you like, I have no name

From how people treated me, all I can think is I am a "nothing"

But don't bother of such things that happen to me

Your sweet melodic voice is the ones that matter

Could it be that you're an angel?

What is your name, knowing it would be a pleasure

 

Krystal was disappointed to not be able to get the stranger's name but was glad to hear the stranger’s remark about her voice. The mysteriousness of the person was the one made Krystal more interested.

So she kept on replying.

 

You're a phantom, I cannot see you but I can feel you

Your voice is full of soul and sorrow

The way you sing, you should be proud of it

Don't look down to yourself, you're something

Not a "nothing"

My name is Krystal…and you're my Phantom

 

The so called "phantom" had brightened up a bit by the remark. She was impressed of Krystal's fast replies even though they communicate in a singing manner.

-

"Amber, Amber!" there was a man approaching the "Phantom".

It was her dad, ready to take her back to their hometown.

 

It's nice to meet you; I am happy to have someone to listen to me

I'll be going home now. Time will come, and you'll hear me again.

 

This time the reply was not in a singing manner.

 

Krystal was confused of the voice. It was deep, but not too deep for a boy.

The once pleasant feeling while she was singing with her new acquaintance was gone.

Her "phantom" was gone.

 

Sadness took over again as she lifelessly walked to her home which is nearby.

-

Ever since that day, Krystal had always dropped by the gymnasium in hopes of hearing her “Phantom”. She waited every day after her classes, even during weekends; she didn’t care if the place was cursed.

She waited for hours and hours, but still no one sung.

-

She continued visiting the place until it was almost two months. Hope was draining out of her system.

 

“Maybe, tomorrow would be the last time I’ll be waiting for you”

It was painful for her to give up but she was left with nothing, she didn’t even have the person’s name.

-

Unknown to Krystal, there was someone eavesdropping behind the dusty curtains of the theater.

 

“I told you I’ll be back…I promised”

Amber said and smiled as she heard once again Krystal, after a long time. She never thought that this kind of sincerity will be shown by someone who she’s really not familiar of.

As a reward for Krystal, she already had planned something for tomorrow, something that the girl will never forget.