A bit from the past.

Shape Shifters

It was finally Saturday, you were excited.  Not only because you were going to meet up with L.Joe but also to tell him about the information you found.
 
You entered the little café located next to the school.  You saw L.Joe sitting at a table with an open book, he was reading something.  You slowly and silently sneak up behind him until saying "Boo!".
 
He turned around, not at all frightened by your little prank.  "You're so boring to scare" you pouted.  He glared at you and gestured for you to take the seat in front on you.
 
"What were you able to find?" he asked
 
"Here" you handed him a stack of papers.  He skimmed through them and nodded.
 
"How about you?" you asked.  He remained silent and gave you one paper.  Barely anything was written on it.
 
"Well you're lucky I have a lot of information" you smiled.
 
You both started writing the essay.  You would often end up thinking about other stuff... Or more like your past.  L.Joe would have to bring you back to reality so you could work. 
 
"Do you mind if I write that?" he asked but you didn't answer.  He finally grew annoyed.
 
"Yah! Are you going to work on this essay with me or not." it was a rhetorical question.
 
You shook your head and turned to him.  "Do you believe they exist?" you mindlessly asked him.
 
"What!?" he was more annoyed.  His expression then softened and gave you a confused look.
 
"Well I remember meeting this boy when I was younger..." you started.  L.Joe just listened as you started your story.

 

 

~~When you were four years old~~

It was autumn.  On a cold and gloomy Sunday afternoon, you were walking in a forest.  Today was the day your aunt was suppose to pick you up so you could start living with her.  You mindlessly walked around the forest, walking here and there, until you heard the sound of the bushes rustle.
 
You carefully made your way to the bushes and looked around.  You saw a little boy on the floor.  You grew slightly confused.  No boy was nearby.  As far as you knew it, you were alone in the forest.  That was excluding the animals of course.  Just earlier you saw a squirrel and a dog.
 
"A-are you okay?" you asked a bit frightened.
 
The boy looked at you weirdly but managed to nod.  He tried standing up but fell back down.  You bent down.
 
"Your sprained your ankle." you worriedly said while removing the scarf you were wearing.  It was a small, plain, black scarf.  You tediously and tightly wrapped it around his ankle.  When you were all done, you smiled at him.  "What happened?" you asked.
 
"I fell... From that tree."  he said looking up at the tree right next to him.
 
"You should be careful next time.  You don't want to hurt yourself even worse next time." all you did was smile at each other until you heard voices yelling.
 
"Jiji!" you knew it was your aunt calling.
 
"I'm sorry.  I have to go now.  You'll be fine right?" you asked.  He nodded and you got up and started leaving.
 
"Wait!" the boy pleaded.  You turned around and went to see him. 
 
"Yes?" you asked as you bobbed your head to the side curiously.
 
He cautiously placed something on your hand.  A single brown feather.  You looked at him. "What is this for?"
 
"Just something to remember me" he gave you a half-smile.
 
"I'll keep this forever.  Promise me we will never forget each other?" you held out your pinky.  Your pinkies interlaced together before you made your way out of the forest.
 
As you walked out of the forest, you turned back to look at the boy.  He wasn't there anymore. Now there was a brown bird on the exact place where he was sitting.  The bird's feathers matched the one that was in your hand and the bird's foot had a little, black cloth tightly wrapped around it.

 

The bird saw you and started whistling a sweet melodic tune.
 
You looked at the bird knowing it was the boy.  You glanced at the bird, then back to your feather.  You both parted.  His feather in your hand and your scarf around his sprained ankle; not knowing that one day, your lives will cross paths again, to continue the bond you have both started.