The Dog vs. The God

Battle of the Gods

 

[Dara POV]

 

Cherry.

 

I scrunched up my nose once it caught the scent. How tacky. A gangster wearing cherry cologne or whatever. Are cherry-smelling guys in nowadays? I asked myself. He was the second guy I met that smelled like a girl.

 

Don’t get me wrong. I like the smell of cherry. But only mellow ones and his smell was just too strong for me. It smothered me and I could already feel my quick lunch rising up from my stomach. I could have just pushed him off of me, so that I could get fresh air, but I didn’t.

 

For some reason, I didn’t. I just stared at his face and I felt lost when I met his gaze.

 

He’s actually good-looking and has a toned, muscular body that showed despite him wearing that black and white suit. Taking as a whole, I would have to say his eyes were his asset. Too bad that handsome face didn’t atone for his rude attitude.

 

What the hell?

 

I felt his hands move lower on my back until it touched my . It made me uncomfortable and I frowned in disgust. ert. His lips formed into a smirk and said, “A person like you should know you’re place here on earth. You’re nothing but a dog.”

 

My anger flared up upon hearing his last words and I pushed him off of me, but he didn’t even budge. His hold became tighter until our bodies touched. He continued to speak in that monotonous, deep-voice.

 

“People like you are nothing.” His free hand reached for a bowl of soup and he continued, saying, “You’re just like this food. ty. Worthless. Not fit for consumption.” He spit on the bowl and shoved it near my face. “Since you’re like this, you can have it.”

 

I felt livid as I saw his spit getting mixed up with the food Mrs. Im prepared. I knew I promised her I would behave but that was the last straw. I grabbed the bowl and this time my stare was as piercing as his. “You’re right. I’m like this food. ty. Worthless. Not fit for consumption,” I repeated the words he said earlier. “But since you feel like you’re better than me—“

 

He cut me off and said, “I am better than you.”

 

I scoffed. “I guess your spit makes the soup better too, doesn’t it?” My fingers trembled with fury. “Have it yourself then!” In a split second, I threw the soup on his face and his grip on my waist loosened. The liquid poured on his face and his white suit turned to reddish orange when it absorbed the soup.

 

“You !” One of the ugly-faced gangsters stood up and yelled at me. “How dare you do that to our boss!”

 

Boss? Wow, he’s young for you two knuckleheads call him boss.

 

The ugly…no, wait. The uglier one, the one that looked like an undercooked crustacean, advanced towards me and I grabbed the tray I was holding awhile back. That tray has never failed me. Come to think of it, it was the same tray I used to bash into one of them. I already hit him in the head and he was about to retaliate when the younger guy, their boss, raised his hand and said, “Don’t.”

 

We all stared at him in disbelief. I was sure he would tell his cronies to beat the hell out of me but he did the opposite.

 

“But boss!” The crustacean gangster’s fist was already aimed at me.

 

“I said stop.” His minion clicked his tongue as he went to his boss’s side. The younger guy wiped his face with the sleeve of his suit and turned to me. I raised the metal tray again and readied myself just in case he makes a surprise attack. He walked towards me and I flailed the tray at his direction. Agile and strong, he managed to dodge the tray and grabbed it away from me. Completely defenseless, I cowered on the corner. The two gofers behind him were chuckling evilly and I wondered what he would do.

 

He inched his face closer to me and I turned my face sideways, avoiding him. “You’re going to regret this day,” he warned.

 

“I already am,” I replied angrily as I turned my face to him.

 

He only laughed at my remark and walked away from me. His two mindless assistants came out first and he stalled just a little, enough for him to say the last words that made me freeze on the spot.

 

“This won’t be the last time you’ll see me. And yeah, I like you better when you were asleep, Miss Dara Park.”

 

How did that bastard know my name?

 

And what did he mean by he likes me better when I’m asleep?


 



 

[TOP POV]

 

It’s true.

 

I liked her better when she was asleep, passed out, leaning on my shoulder. Not that I find that attractive, but it was so much better than smelling like some spicy vegetable soup.

 

That girl got some spunk. That coward Choi was not exaggerating.

 

Choi, one of the organization’s lieutenants, came back to the warehouse three days ago with a bump as big as a chicken egg. He was supposed to bring in his collections in his area, but he came in short.

 

It to have the same last name as him. He’s a disgrace.

 

My father leads the whole organization, and as his son, I was given the responsibility to take care of the family—supervise the operations and such. So when Choi remitted money less than expected, I asked for an explanation.

 

I felt my eye twitch when I heard his reason.

 

“A girl? You didn’t get the complete amount because of a girl?” I asked in a hushed voice, almost like a whisper. I saw him shiver against my gaze.

 

“Well, she was a spirited one, boss.” He continued to tell me the story of how the girl hit him with the tray she was holding and how she chased him out to the street. Surprisingly, I found the story funny and intriguing. That afternoon, I gave Choi’s punishment and went out to fix the problem myself.

 

No one messes up with the White Tigers. That girl picked the wrong gang to cross. Or rather the wrong guy. No one opposes me, Choi Seunghyun.

 

I went to the small restaurant where Choi got humiliated to confront this girl he was talking about. Upon arriving at the dingy place, I saw a girl go out and thought, That must be her.

 

I went out of my car to trail her by foot. We have walked for about a mile when I decided that it was time for her to learn her lesson. My pace quickened but when she was just a few feet away from me, she just collapsed.

 

I stared at the frail body before me and deliberated whether to help her or not. “Aish,” I groaned loudly and ran my fingers through my head in frustration. I bent down and checked on her. As I placed her head gently on my lap, I found staring at her face.

 

She looked decent. Hell, she actually looked beautiful. Her features looked like those of the girls found in fashion magazines—perfect complexion, high-arched brows, long eyelashes, and those thin lips. The only thing that made her different was the clothes she was wearing. All looked threadbare, like hand-me-downs.

 

“Miss…” I called as I slapped her cheek lightly. No avail. She was out as light.

 

Heaving a deep sigh, I hoisted her and carried her on my back. She felt extremely light but that was expected. She has a thin and petite body, and I started to chuckle as I remember how Choi described her.

 

She’s a monster.

 

Right.

 

I saw a little girl looking at us and she said, “Where are you bringing Dara-unnie?”

 

Dara? Is that the name of this girl?

 

I smiled at her and said, “To her house. But I don’t know where it is. Can you show me?” My smile got wider when she gave me a nod.

 

She led the way, skipping and hopping, completely unaware that she’s with a dangerous person. Guess I looked convincing enough to pass as a regular citizen. The little girl turned to me and asked with curious eyes, “Are you Dara-unnie’s boyfriend?”

 

“Yes,” I lied. At that moment I had to say yes, or I won’t be able to send Dara to her house. The kid might panic if she learns I’m not related to the girl I was carrying.

 

The little girl stopped on a gate of a small, er, tiny bungalow and said that it was the older girl’s house. She left after I thanked her and I entered the gate, looking disgusted with how the place looked so cramped.

 

Only dogs could live in here.

 

I opened the door with the key I found in Dara’s pocket and went inside the house, looking for her room. I found a room that looked like a woman’s and laid her on the bed, tossing her backpack on the corner. Tired, I sat on the floor and let my eyes wander. It wasn’t that long for me to see everything. The room was as small as the house and the appliances and furniture weren’t that many.

 

What caught my attention was a picture frame that was placed near the bedside and I reached for it. ‘The Parks’ were written on the frame and it showed an older woman that looked slightly like her, a younger girl that I assumed to be her, and a younger boy which could be her brother.

 

No dad.

 

I heard her moan and I decided to leave before she wakes up. But never did I forget the name of that girl.

 

Dara Park.



 

My thoughts got cut off when Lee, one of my assistants said, “Boss, why did you stop me awhile ago? That just threw the soup at you!”

 

I glared at him. I wasn’t accustomed to lower species questioning my actions and he immediately shut up as he felt my stare pierce through his soul.

 

He was right though. That kind of audacity would earn a normal person broken knees or knuckles, but I chose to let it go.

 

Why?

 

I smirked as the answer came into my mind.

 

Because her punishment’s going to be a lot harder.