Survivors

Heroes of Korta

“Key! Come on! It’s gaining on us!” I shouted frantically.

“I’m trying, Jjong! I’m trying!” he cried as he limped faster.

I looked back at my brother, Kibum, as the awful Rogue is chasing us, its yellowed hideous fangs gleamed at the moonlight and its tongues lapping all over the place, trying to grab us. Key’s leg is all wounded, blood dripped as he tried to limp every second now and then.

I held up my right hand, and focused on my energy. Whether I like it or not, I need to do this, for Kibum’s sake. Seconds later a pack of crystal-clear, arm-length, sharp ice shards shot out from my palm and flew to the Rogue. One hit it in the forehead, and two went to its heart. The beast cried in agony, its scream filling the dead silent night. I cringed as its shout rang on my head. It fell to the ground, a pool of darkened blood formed underneath its body. My body felt limp from too much excretion of energy and I fell to the ground, first.

“Ow…” I hissed in pain, touching my tailbone. “Jjong...thanks hyung. What more could I do if you didn’t shoot those shards out?” Key smiled, cocking his head to the side. I looked away and pretended not to hear him.

”Hyung?”

I sighed and looked over at my brother. His colorful streaked hair now all messed up; his milky skin had gone dark, because of the ash and dirt. His vest was ripped and left him only with his filthy checkered clothes. His feline eyes eyeing me with curiosity.

“No…it’s just that…well…how am I suppose to tell you this? Promise that you will believe me.”

Key shrugged and gestured me to go on.

“Well…it was back when you were still wearing that pink, fluffy bandana of yours. I was around 8 years old…”

“One day when I went home from school, I walked through this dark side of town where everything was different. I had never been in this part of town so I tried to venture around. I accidentally bumped into some random man and he spat on me, cussing me for being clumsy. I waddled through the town and found this weird man, staring at me continuously. He was wearing a hood that covered most of his face. I felt really uncomfortable so I walked over to him, asking him why he was staring at me. I didn’t understand anything at that age so I bluntly asked him who he was. He simply laughed at me and asked me to take both of his hands. I looked at him dumbfounded and connected my hands onto his. As I grabbed his hand, it felt suddenly cold, like its winter but only my hands feel it. The cold feeling soon resided and the odd man let go of my hands. He smiled at me and ran into the city. I walked back home. Little I did know that every time I walked, snowflakes would follow after. Of course now, I can control my ice power and make them stay invincible in my body until I use it.”

I ended my story with a stern face and looked at Kibum who is intensely looking at me, wanting for more information.

“I’m an indirect Frostborn, Key.” I sighed and rubbed the back of my neck.

“I knew it! I knew the legends were true! But, how come you are a Frostborn while I am not?” Key grumbled, crossing his arms across his chest. I chuckled at his childishness and put an arm around his shoulders, “Sometimes, things don’t turn out to be your way, dongsaeng.”

Key rolled his eyes and limped beside me. We are exhausted. The whole day, that Rogue that I just killed, chased after us without giving up.

“We need to find a safe place to rest for the night, tomorrow, we’ll rummage through a weapon keep to find you a suitable sword.” I grinned and supported him with my arm. Key nodded beside me and we walked through the dead town. And the night loomed over us, overshadowing us with its darkness.

 

I woke up with a start, sweat covered my damp face. I my light brown-blond-brown-dark brown hair aimlessly and furrowed my brows. The sun was up in the sky, shining through the rusty old Victorian window in my room. I stretched and went to the bathroom, looking myself at the broken mirror. I had terrible dark circles under my eyes, my hair fuzzy and blood traced faintly on my face. I realized that I haven’t showered since yesterday. I was too tired to do that. I made a face and stripped my clothes.

Cold droplets of water rained down on me, soaking my muscular body. I cringed as one splashed on my back, hitting the reddened scar. I wiped the soap on my body, careful not to hit that painful spot. I hissed as the soap dripped down to my back. Minutes later, I dried myself up and put on the dried pair clothes Key gave me. I don’t know where that brother of mine can get loads of shirts in his satchel. I walked down the staircase, leading to the rusty kitchen.

            “Hey hyung! Come, eat breakfast with me!” Key called, smiling cheerfully. His wounded leg is getting better, since I put on some bandage around his ankles. Mind you, Key is very naggy when it comes to his scars. I smiled softly at him and sat down on the table, “So hyung. How’s your sleep?” Key asked, munching on the omelet. “Quite well. Though, I dreamt that those Rogues would come after us, going through the window.” I shivered and drank my orange juice,” where did you get these food supplies anyway?” Key grinned and swiped his hair,” Took some time for the Almighty Key to fight his way through a pack of Rogues to get breakfast for his and his brother’s stomach. “

“Bwohh??!!! What did you do this time, Kibum?” I asked frantically, “Are you alright? Did those things bite you? Are you infected? God, Kibum! Tell me!” I shook his shoulders, staring shockingly. “Whoa, whoa. Slow down hyung! I’m okay! And…look what I found when I was out!”

            Key showed me a sword, more like an Orcishbane. Its dark green handle dangles off of Key’s hand as its clear, gleaming emerald green blade stood proudly in the sunrays.

“Whoa. Where did you get this, bro?” I asked, running my fingers lightly across the spectacular blade. Key shrugged, eyeing me with those feline eyes of his, “This thing was hung on Sungmin’s Weaponary Store just down the street. I don’t know where Sungmin hyung got this baby…” I nodded solemnly. Sungmin hyung and I had been friends for as long as I could remember. I always accepted him as part of my family. He used to travel everywhere across the world, seeking for extraordinary weapons from bows, swords, daggers, spears, war hammers, and even guns. He is a fun guy and would accompany you even if you were not close with him.

            “Hyung, are we going to find a new home? Because seriously. This place is a wreck.” Key eyed me, giving me one of his “disgusted” looking face. I chuckled and nodded, giving him the signal to pack up. We had been living in this place for quite some time now, around 3 months. I looked across the small town. The small, lush, bustling town I knew for 17 years. Korta is now in ruins, rusty cars left on the roads, trees died of the unpleasant air, and the Rogues lurking on every nook and cranny of this town. I turned around, grabbing my satchel. I dropped in all of the things I needed, 5 loafs of bread, my sad cellphone, and extra clean clothes. I swung my satchel across my shoulders and headed out the door.

            “Hyung! Wait!” Key was running down the stairs, with a backpack on his back. His hair all messed up. Cringing and cussing, he limped towards me.

 

 

We went out of the door; the cool breeze greeted us as its vapor slapped our faces. We ran silently and swiftly across the street. Key had taken out his Orcishbane, ready to attack. I myself focus my energy on both of my palms, ready to shoot out ice. The night sky loomed across the horizon, as the sun slept in its slumbers. The sky is starless, due to the interrupting air that spells Death, with a capital D. We ran and ran, going through empty alleys, dead neighborhoods, and the run down dried town well. Funny, this well used to be the town’s major water source. The poor, the rich, the elderly, and the youngsters all drink the same water.

 

” Jjong hyung. Did you hear that?”

 

I stiffened and perked my ears up. Indeed, there was some light footsteps, running along the darkened alley way,” Over there! Let’s go after it!” I shouted, pointing to a scuttling dark figure. We ran after it, turning quickly right and left. After what seemed like forever, we finally cornered it. Its body heaving up and down. As we neared it, it tensed up and whispered. “Don’t kill me. Please.” Key and I are both taken back, surprised at what we heard. We looked at each other, confused at what we heard. Did it just…talk?

“Who are you? Show yourself.” I demanded, aiming my palm at him, ready to freeze him up. A man around 20 years old looked at both of us wearily.

He is taller than Key and me. He wore a filthy checkered shirt and his hair light brown and soft. “Please. Don’t kill me.” He repeated, his eyes pleading. Those eyes somehow reminded me of a lost puppy. “Alright. What’s your name?” Key asked, his eyes narrowing at the stranger. I lowered my hands, deactivating the ice spell. “My name’s Lee Donghae. Nice to meet you.” He said, stretching his hand at me. I took it, but still am suspicious about this guy. “Have you been bitten?” I asked him, eyeing his toned up body. “Psh. Of course not! I ran faster than them when they try to attack me!” he boasted.

“I don’t like this guy.” Key whispered simply on my ears, rolling his eyes afterwards.

“Me too. But he looks convincing. Let’s just let him this time.” I whispered back, eyeing Donghae.

“So…what’s the plan?” Donghae asked, scratching his head, dumbfounded. I sighed and looked at Key.  Key nudged and went away. “Fine. You can go with us.” I looked away, and hurried up after Key. “Thanks! I now proudly say that I’ll live with fellow humans! I promise I’ll be good!” Donghae called after us and he ran passed by us. His light footsteps trudged through the abandoned street. When he ran, streaks of wind followed after, slapping my face.

            “Hey! Watch it!” I glared at his agile figure.

            “Sorry! I can’t help myself. I am born to be fast. I am a Wind Adept!” He called after.

I took in the information I just heard. Wind Adepts? I thought they vanished 100 years ago. Could Donghae be the last of his kind? I furrowed my eyebrows and looked at Key.

“Dude. Did I hear it right? Did that Donghae guy just said that he is a Wind Adept?” I elbowed his ribs. “I don’t know, Hyung. Could he be bluffing?” Key looked at me confusion in his eyes. I shrugged and looked at his disappearing figure.

“We need to run. That guy’s fast.” I rolled my eyes and trotted after Donghae. “But Hyung. I can’t run.” Key said bluntly, as he tried to limp as fast as he could. I sighed and crouched slightly, holding my hands backward.

“Hop on. I can carry you.”

 “O..okay”

Seconds later, I am running as fast as I could, with Key on my back, running after Donghae.

“I think we lost him.” Key stated.

 I gasped for breath and dropped Key on the road. “Ow. Hyuuunggg…” Key whined as he rubbed his bum. I ignored him and climbed a nearby building, trying to look out into the horizon. After some time of grabbing and gliding onto the window frames, I managed to get to the top of the building. I searched through the horizon and the roads below the abandoned street. I could see nothing but corpses and Rogues devouring it. Then, I spotted a figure, running swiftly just on the road where we had been earlier. I raised my hands up and create an ice staircase, and ran down until I reached Key.

“Come on.”

Key grabbed onto my back and put his legs around my waist. I hoisted him up with all my might and dashed forward. With the help from my Frostborn abilities, I finally caught up with Donghae, and he was surrounded by Rogues. Their eyeless face facing towards Donghae, ready to bite him and tear him up. “N-n-nice…b-b-easts…” Donghae trembled as 4 huge Dominant Rogues cornered him. I put Key down, this time gently. I nudged him gently and cocked my head to the Rogues’ direction. Key nodded and he sheathed his Orcishbane, ready to attack. I felt my fingers twitching with ice as I came behind the Rogues, quietly. Donghae looked at me with worry in his eyes and mouthed ‘Don’t make a noise!’ I nodded and raised my hand up towards the sky and mouthed ‘Ris Myu Lah!’ The ground shook with might and the Rogues looked at their backs, and spotted us. They roared and open up their jaws, ready to eat me and Key. I closed my eyes, ready to get devoured. CRACK! The ground cracked and up came huge ice thorns, ed into the Rogues and got its hearts. They don’t only die, they were frozen up. I looked at my hands, snowflakes still circling my fingertips. Key slashed his Orcishbane on the Rogue’s chest, sending it flying backwards.

“Dude! You are amazing! You never told me that you were a Frostborn. How did you freeze them all up and like WHAM! They are dead in a second! And..UUMF” Key’s hand landed on Donghae’s blabbering mouth to shut him up. Yes. Wind Adepts are agile and gentle, but did I ever mention that they are really talkative? I sighed and motioned Key to let Donghae go. Donghae was gasping for air when he was released. He looked at me and mouthed a thank you. I nodded briefly and looked at the mess I’ve done. Even if it’s a mess, it’s still is a masterpiece. 4 Dominant Rogues stuck in crystal clear sharp pillars like a puppet being held by the heart, it’s quite an art.

We walked in silence as we walked along the cracked road. Everyone was tired and quiet, even Donghae had learned to zip his mouth up. I can’t take it any longer. We need to move out. Living in this place equals to death and I don’t want to see death amongst my comrades, especially Kibum. I have made up my mind.

“Guys. We need to move out of Korta.” I blurted, gazing to the horizon. There is no turning back now.

 

It has been a few weeks since we all evacuate from Korta. And unfortunately, we had been walking without food and water. We had eaten all of them up yesterday, thanks to that greedy Donghae. My stomach growled like a saber tooth trying to jump out and grab its prey. I patted my stomach, promising it that I will feed it as soon as possible. “Hyung. I’m hungry.” Key moaned as he rubbed his poor stomach. “I know. Be patient okay? We’re all hungry.” I glanced sideways at my poor little brother. His face is scrunched up and pale. If you don’t know where we are, we are currently walking in the Goguma Woodlands. It’s green, but it’s all poisonous. Poison ivy and the Daike Mushrooms, they are all dangerous. “Hey…uh…Jonghyun? Do you know where we’re headed to?” Donghae’s voice interrupted my observations.

 I shrugged,” We’re going to Markrath. Hopefully there are still people in there. As far as I know, a relative lives there. My older cousin, Kangin. I think he could help us out.”

Beside me, Key was terrified hearing my words.

” Hyung…did you say Kangin hyung’s name?”

“Yes. Why?”

Key gulped,” He’ll call me a sissy like he always did back when I was a little boy. I don’t like him hyung…” Key shuddered and he pleaded me to go back to Korta. He said it’s better to live with Rogues rather than a mocking cousin.

 “No can’t do Key. I don’t want you to leave my side. Plus, Korta’s a long way behind us. And also, you’re my brother and I need to protect you.” I said sternly, disapproving his thoughts. Key muttered some words and he continued limping. I looked at the ancient map we found earlier that day. According to the map, we’ll be arriving at Markrath by tomorrow. That is, if we don’t stop and rest. “Dudes! Look at your right!” Donghae whispered happily. Key and I glanced sideways and couldn’t believe our luck. There, in the meadows in the right, is two fat plump cows, happily eating the green grass “You know what this means?” He asked us excitedly. I jumped and danced happily, ”Double Dinner!”

Last night was a blast. We killed and grilled the two cows and saved some of the meat for later. We are energized and walked with hustle across the woodland. We filled our water pouches from the Happy River running through the Goguma Woodlands and drank some of it too. Not long into the midday when the sun is up in the sky, we are off into the vast plains of Jiguma, where the remaining descendants of the ancient breed of Gyrole still dwell. We didn’t give a care about them because they’re docile and friendly plain critters. We venture on and came upon the city of Markrath. Its high walls presentable from even a mile away. On the walls are the Markrath guards armed with bows and arrows, ready to shoot anyone who trespassed the city without permission. We trudged across the Markrath Bridge and finally, stood upon the large iron gates of Markrath.

“Who are you people and what are your intentions in Markrath?” A tall Markrath soldier asked us abruptly. I looked at Key and Donghae who just stood idly behind me. I looked into the soldier’s eyes and answered him as polite as possible.

” I’m a refugee from the infected city of Korta. This is my brother, Kibum and my friend, Donghae. We’re the last survivors of the apocalypse and are headed towards my cousin’s house inside Markrath. You may know him because he’s a well known swordsman.”

“And who might he be?” The soldier leaned forward, furrowing his eyebrows.

“Kim Youngwoon as known as Kangin. He’s mine and Kibum’s cousin.”

The soldier looked at me, “Kangin? That young fella? He’s a tough and intelligent guy when battling. And I acknowledge him as a better swordsman than I do, even if he’s younger.” The soldier smiled and opened the gate,” You are welcomed to go inside, fellow travellers.”

We wandered inside; the city is like a vast plain covered by small, tall, curvy, even wavy buildings. Every nook and cranny of this city is populated with bustling townspeople, flea markets, shop stands and street shows. Happy kids run around the streets without giving a care if cars would accidentally hit them. Elderly people sitting around on their porches, reading the morning news on their benches. I sighed. This is just like Korta, but before the apocalypse started. “How do you like it in Markrath, Donghae?” I asked him, glancing back at the fellow. Donghae grinned,” It’s beautiful. Compared to Korta, this town is more improvised. I like it here!”

I nodded and looked at my brother,” How about you, Key?” Key just glanced at me simply.

” I don’t know, Hyung. Right now I’m just too worried about what will come to Kangin hyung and me. What will he say to me when he sees me again? A pretty boy? A sissy man?” Key buried his face in his palms, ashamed of himself. I shook my head.

” No Kibum. You’re not a sissy man or a pretty boy. You know what I see in you?”

“What hyung?” Key asked as he glanced at me expectantly. I smiled.

“A brave warrior who would protect his comrades no matter what. You are the bravest man I had ever seen, killing that one Rogue by yourself. You are special, Key. And I think Kangin hyung can’t argue with that.” I ruffled his hair playfully.

” Really hyung? You really think I’m that kind of person?” Key faced me, his eyes literally twinkling. I chuckled and nodded at him. Key grinned, so wide that I thought that he’s going to rip his own lips.” Thankyou for believing in me, Jjong hyung.”  I nodded and smiled at him.

” No problem, bro.”