Don't Cry

ღ Heart & Soul | One-Shot Request Shop ღ

Title: Don't Cry
Requested By: none
Author: certified_dreamer (me)
Genre: Romance; Angst; Fluff
Characters: Byun Baekhyun (EXO-K) & Lee Hyunjae (OC)
Short Summary: Five years ago, Baekhyun left her for certain reasons, but she promised that she would wait for him. Time goes by and she's beginning to lose hope in him. Then, in that certain place, sweet memories began to replay before her.


Hyunjae let out a sigh, trudging down the wet pavement as the rain pelted down mercilessly at her. She pulled her jacket close to her as she stared mindlessly at the soaking wet streets, letting her feet take her to anywhere as she pleases. By chance, she stood before a small yet quaint coffee shop. Unconsciously, a sad smile found its way to her face as she remembered those fond memories of that place. 'It's been a while since I've been here...' Hyunjae thought to herself, debating whether to go inside or not. After much thought of it, Hyunjae decided to go inside, getting away from the storm.

Inside, Hyunjae was greeted with a warm and homey feel, and the fresh smell of brewed coffee. She ordered her usual dose of latte and took a seat in the corner of the shop. Not much people were here, considering that not many are strolling down the streets of Seoul because of the thundering weather. Only a few were around, either sitting by him or herself with a coffee in their hand while reading the newpaper or working on their laptops, or in small groups or by pairs, laughing and chatting happily with each other that handed to that quaint, homey feel to the shop.

Hyunjae looked at the couples who were in the shop with a sad look. She took a sip from her coffee as she continued to look at their sweet, cutesy acts, feeling a pang of slight envy for them. 'Of course you would feel this way. After all, it's been a long time since you've seen him,' Hyunjae mentally chided to herself as she resorted to look outside the glass panels instead, not wanting that feeling of sadness and guilt to spread like a wildfire.

"Oppa, when will you come back..." Hyunjae muttered to herself as a memory began to replay in her mind. 

Hyunjae just came back from her parents' place in Busan, so she decided to grab her quick dose of her usual coffee before she proceeds to the university to finish her work that was left for her in her absence. Stepping inside the shop and out of the cold autumn breeze, Hyunjae went over to the counter and ordered her drink. When she got her drink, she turned around to find a spot to sit in and relax. Unfortunately, she managed to bump someone by accident, causing her coffee to splatter all over him. 

"Oh my God! I am so sorry!" Hyunjae exclaimed, trying to clean up the mess on the man's shirt. He just shook his head, saying, "It's okay. I know you don't mean it."

Hyunjae looked up to take a better view of the man she bumped into. Apparently, he is definitely around her age. He has dark hair that is neither black nor brown and eyes of the same color. His skin is flawlessly white and he has an innocent look on his face. 'Omo... he looks so cute.' Hyunjae thought to herself, blushing as she looked down when she realized what her thoughts had conjured up. 'Yah, Hyunjae! You did not just thought of that!'

"Um... miss, are you okay?" He said, a concerned look on his face. Hyunjae averted her gaze back towards him, saying. "Yes, I'm fine. What makes you say that I'm not?"

"Your face is red." He pointed out. Hyunjae buried her face in her hands, trying to cover up the heat that was building in her face. "That's just nothing. Anyways, I'm really really sorry about what I did to you earlier!"

He just let out a soft chuckle. "Don't worry. It's not much of a problem. By the way, I'm Byun Baekhyun." He said, stretching out his hand. Hyunjae lifted her face from her hands, staring at his hand with slight hesitation. Then, a smile found its way to her face as she accepted his offered hand and shook it.

"I'm Lee Hyunjae."

Hyunjae smiled fondly at the memory, her fingers lightly tapping on the glass panels. The rain kept pouring down hard, and it seems to look like the skies were crying. 'The weather really must have known what I was feeling right and must sympathize with me today...' She thought to herself, still staring outside the shop.

'I can still remember fondly of that time when he accidentally blurted out those bottled up feelings.' Hyunjae thought sadly to herself, her gaze now averted to the couples that were present in the shop.

It was their third month of getting to know each other. From their constant meetings in the coffee shop, Baekhyun and Hyunjae had grown admirably close. They spent more time together than they were with their friends, unbelievably going to the phase of close friends within the first month of their meetings. 

The second month of their friendship, Hyunjae realized that she had feelings for him. Her friend pointed this out when she realized that a slight rosy tint of pink would be visible on her face, or how she would swoon after he bid her goodbyes to her. After her friend had pointed this out to her, Hyunjae realized how her heart beats really fast whenever she would see him, or how a smile would always its way to her face every time he talks. Soon, Hyunjae realized that their meetings in the coffee shop weren't enough. 

But she definitely knew her feelings were probably unrequited, as he would probably have a girlfriend by now. Hyunjae was crestfallen by the thought of that, but she decided to never show it towards him.

"Hyunjae ~ " A voice called out as someone hugged her from behind. Hyunjae giggled and managed to slip out of the person's grasp, turning towards that person, amusement crinkling in her eyes. "Baekhyunnie!"

Baekhyun smiled shyly at her, staring at the ground as he fidgeted slightly in his place while his face turned a slight tint of pink. Hyunjae tilted her head sideways, confused. To her, this was a new side of Baekhyun she had just seen with her very eyes.

"I have to tell you something..." Baekhyun said, still not looking at Hyunjae. She just nodded, saying. "Okay. What is it then?"

Baekhyun was getting nervous at every passing second and he didn't know what to say, let alone the right words for his confession. He was afraid that he might ruin their friendship because of it, but he is not going to let this chance pass by that easily and quickly.

"Lee Hyunjae, I like you." Baekhyun said, closing his eyes. "I like you since the day we first met."

Hyunjae was speechless. She never expected that someone like Baekhyun would actually share the same feelings as she does. A warm, happy feeling was beginning to spread within her as she cupped Baekhyun's face in her hands, making him look at her straight in the eyes.

"Thank you, Baekhyun. And I also like you, too." Hyunjae said softly before proceeding to hug him tightly. Baekhyun was slightly stunned at the words of Hyunjae, as he wasn't prepared that Hyunjae might actually share the same feelings as he does, but he just smiled to himself and hugged the young girl back. "Saranghae, Hyunjae ~ "

As the memory ended, Hyunjae let out another sigh for what seems to be the umpteenth time of the day as her fingers curled around the cup of her coffee. Tears were beginning to brim in her eyes as she began to shake slightly from the overcoming emotions building up within her. "Byun Baekhyun, where are you...?"

"Hyunjae, there's something you need to know." Baekhyun said, a serious look on his face. Hyunjae looked up from the laptop she was using, a slightly baffled look plastered on her facial features. "What is it?"

It was their fifth month of being together. In the first three months since they revealed their feelings for each other, Baekhyun and Hyunjae were practically contented with what they have with each other. They didn't mind on what the people were saying behind their backs, as they were living in their own ethereal world. But as time flies by quickly, Hyunjae began to realize that Baekhyun had been growing distant from her. He refuses to answer any of her calls nor texts, and he would often come to their dates late and forgets their anniversaries. Because of that, Hyunjae began to doubt why she agreed to be in this relationship in the first place, but she never gave up on them. And she hopes that Baekhyun does the same too.

Baekhyun took a deep breath, before he said. "I'm leaving, Hyunjae."

"What? Why?" Hyunjae exclaimed in disbelief, not wanting to believe that whatever Baekhyun had said is true. He just looked at her sadly as he continues to explain, "My father... he wants me to work abroad for a while. You know, to support the ever growing medical fees of my mother. But that's not the only reason why I'm leaving, Hyunjae-ah."

"Then what's your other reason then?" Hyunjae asked, trying her best to contain herself. 

"Even though you act like you are happy in our relationship, I know you're not entirely that content. The constructive criticism that people are giving behinds our backs are stabbing you real good and hard. Personally, I really don't give a damn about it, but seeing you in that state... it hurts me, Hyunjae. You may act completely cheerful and happy around me, but your eyes are losing that shine of happiness that I always come to admire about you." Baekhyun explained, looking at Hyunjae sadly. "I'm sorry, Hyunjae. This is for the best. If I leave you alone for now, the pressure on your back will finally be uplifted. Until you are ready, I'll be keeping my distance from you."

Hyunjae couldn't possibly take anymore of Baekhyun's words and hurled herself towards his arms, burying her face in his chest as she began to release all that emotions that she had bottled up for a while now. Baekhyun just her hair and whispered words of reassurance to her. When she finally stopped sobbing a few minutes later, he lifted her chin so that he could get a better view of her face. "Saranghae, Hyunjae." He muttered as he pressed his lips against hers. He pulled her closer to her as he could taste the saltiness of her tears that were falling from the corners of her eyes. Hyunjae responded to the kiss, putting in every emotion that she had been feeling right now. She could taste the lingering taste of coffee in his mouth and the saltiness of his and her tears that mixed with it.

Both of them broke the kiss, breathing heavily. Baekhyun wiped the tears from Hyunjae's eyes before giving her one last sad smile and walked away from her. Watching him leave caused the tears to fall again from Hyunjae's eyes. 

"I'll wait for you, oppa." Hyunjae whispered to herself.

'If I hadn't been so weak back then, this wouldn't have never happened.' Hyunjae thought to herself, She finished the last drop of her coffee and proceeded to go outside to the storm, not caring if she would get sick because of it afterwards. She strolled down the streets of Seoul, constantly looking up the skies as she allowed the rain to fall down her face.

"...Hyunjae?"

She stopped walking when she heard her name being called. She had a funny feeling that it was someone she knows but she couldn't register who exactly owns that voice. She turned around slowly, and her eyes widened in surprise and happiness to see the person she has been waiting for five long years to come back. 

Baekhyun stood there before her, an umbrella over his head as he stared at Hyunjae with a knowing look. A smile suddenly found its way to his face as he said, "I'm back."

Hyunjae couldn't believe that the person she had loved for a long period of time had came back. But when she knew that he was flesh and blood, tears of joy were streaming down her face, mixing with the rain. She ran towards him, tackling him in a hug. Baekhyun laughed and hugged her back. "I miss you, Hyunjae."

"Me too, oppa." Hyunjae murmured against his shirt. She looked at him straight in the eye and smiled. "Promise me you'll never leave me again?"

Baekhyun nodded his head. "Promise."

With that, Baekhyun tightened the hug as their faces slowly lurched forwards towards each other and their lips have met. 

To Hyunjae, it tasted a lot like latte and cappuccino.


Here's my one-shot! I made this out of boredom. I hope you guys like it! ^^

Currently, I am working on candyforlove's request. I don't know when I will release it, but I promise you guys to expect it soon ~