Yearbook...

For Me...

Chapter 1; Yearbook

 

 

Youngjae walked into class carrying his books and taking his seat next to Daehyun, he smiled at the slightly older boy and got out his work for the lesson that they had first, which was unfortunately maths. Daehyun already had his things out when he turned to Youngjae, "Youngjae, why don't we sign up for yearbook committee?" Daehyun asked, Youngjae just looked at Daehyun and before he could ask why, Daehyun answered with "Well, we don't play any sports or do any extra-curricular stuff and we're going to be applying to university plus being on yearbook committee means we could make sure only the best photos of us go in." Daehyun shrugged, "Plus it's during study hall so we don't have to stay here any longer than we need to" Youngjae couldn't argue that Daehyun didn't make very good points. He did need something to bulk up his application, not that he wasn't already an excellent candidate, honour student since the age of 11, Top ranked in the school, his application had all the credentials to be a good academic applicant. He knew that there was more than academics to university and he also knew that for Daehyun to get into the same university, he'd have to really pull up his grades and have something extra. Youngjae had already refused his parents wish for him to apply to elite universities. He wanted to go where Daehyun was going. 
 
"Sounds good." Youngjae nodded, he knew if he didn't do it Daehyun wouldn't do it either. They were mutually co-dependent, best friends who'd been together since the age of 15, they were inseparable and spent most nights at each others houses to the point where they had clothes in each others wardrobes, just in case they went over and stopped the night. Their families went on holidays together as the boys refused to go otherwise. Their dependence on each other was often a point which Jongup used to tease them, making comments asking when their wedding was, or asking why didn't they stop hanging around with him and Zelo. "Sign us up" Youngjae conceded and Daehyun internally celebrated.
 
The pair walked into the first yearbook committee meeting, and were briefed the pair were in charge of layout of the votes page, the questions were already decided but the pair paid no attention to them. They began discussing how they were going to do it, with graphs and the top 3 having pictures in their ranking order. Youngjae and Daehyun decided between themselves not to vote as they worried it would obscure their impartiality. 
 
The day the results came in would be one that was engraved on their memories forever, Daehyun received a text from the head of the yearbook committee saying that results were in and that he and Youngjae needed to report to pick them up and start working that lunch. The pair grabbed lunch together quickly eating before heading over to the room that was being used for yearbook committee, talking and laughing together. They picked up the results scanning down the categories, Daehyun had won most likely to try to avoid army conscription. Which the pair found hilarious, partially because Youngjae could really see this happening. Then Youngjae saw his own name as a winner of a category. He looked at the title he'd won and felt sick to his stomach. Most likely to be 200 pounds
 
Youngjae ran out the room and into the nearest bathroom before lowering himself over the toilet and throwing up violently. He closed his eyes as tears stung, he threw up again. He felt a hand on his back rubbing it softly. Youngjae pulled back and rested his head next to the porcelain. The person flushed the toilet and looked back at him. "Youngjae, are you feeling any better?" Daehyun asked softly, Youngjae nodded and opened his eyes. Daehyun helped him up to his feet and watched as Youngjae splashed his face with water and washed his mouth out. "I've taken that one out of the yearbook" Daehyun said quietly. 
 
"It wasn't that" Youngjae lied, but he could tell Daehyun knew he was lying. Daehyun always knew when he was lying. Daehyun just shook his head and pulled Youngjae into a tight hug. Youngjae fell into his arms, holding him tightly. He realised now that Daehyun would work everything out and know that he was sensitive about his weight. Youngjae pulled back from the hug and looked at Daehyun who just shrugged. 
 
"We'll talk about this at my house tonight." Daehyun said quietly before he left signalling for Youngjae to go with him. The pair went back to the room to do the work on the yearbook. Youngjae noticed a cut out box where Daehyun had removed him and the award from the list. He looked across as Daehyun who was typing up the results to make the graphs, Youngjae moved to stand behind him occasionally laughing about who won what. The incident before had been forgotten, for now. Youngjae knew Daehyun would bring it up but until then he was going to go back to pretending it was OK. In matter of fact it wasn't OK, it had never been OK and it burned in Youngjae's mind.
 
When they got to Daehyun's home they went straight to Daehyun's room, both of his parents were working and Youngjae said he wasn't hungry, but Daehyun was still worried about him, he hadn't eaten since lunch which he'd thrown up. Daehyun sat Youngjae down on his floor and sat across from him. "Youngjae," Daehyun began talking softly, "want to tell me what happened today?" Daehyun said giving him a supportive smile. 
 
"It brought back bad memories from when I was a child." Youngjae said quietly, "I was banned from playing with the other kids cus I was too fat." Youngjae bit his lip, "A-and they used to take my lunch and I'd spend my lunches crying in the bathrooms and I saw that vote and I just thought I was going back there." Youngjae said trying not to cry. Daehyun had already moved over to wrap his arms around Youngjae who started crying on him. 
 
"You're never going to have that again Younggie. You know I'll always defend you" Daehyun said quietly, "Plus you're not even fat. I doubt you ever were" Daehyun said quietly believing every word he said.  That night Youngjae and Daehyun ate together and then Youngjae decided to stay the night, he could really do with the comfort. The pair shared Daehyun's bed, like they always had, and faced away from each other like they always did.  When Youngjae woke up he noticed that Daehyun was already getting changed, "Morning Younggie." Daehyun smiled as Youngjae pulled himself out of bed. Youngjae smiled grabbing his clothes and moving to go to the bathroom. "Change here." Youngjae shook his head. 
 
"I don't want you to see me" Youngjae said quietly, Daehyun just nodded accepting that Youngjae didn't want him to see. Youngjae left the room and walked into the bathroom, he stripped out of his nightwear and changed his underwear before looking at himself in the mirror. His hands went down to his stomach, he traced it, squeezing the chubby excess. He sighed, why would Daehyun have wanted him to change with him? How repulsed would he be to see it. Youngjae quickly pulled his clothes on before going back into the room to see Daehyun who was just looking at him. Daehyun said nothing, he just got up off the bed and walked downstairs. Youngjae followed, opting to only eat a piece of fruit for breakfast while Daehyun had a bowl of cereal while sitting on the counter. 
 
"We should go and see Yongguk after school, Jieun had her baby." Daehyun said. Youngjae nodded, "She's called Seungyeon. Isn't that a pretty name?" Daehyun smiled a little. Youngjae nodded that was a pretty name and he assumed that from both their looks she'd become a pretty young girl. "We'll go see them after school and we have yearbook committee at lunch today." Daehyun said eyeing Youngjae carefully. Youngjae just nodded. 
 
"Stop looking at me like that, I'm really ok" Youngjae said looking at Daehyun, "I'm really over it now." Daehyun wanted to answer but you're not, but he knew that that wasn't the best way to handle Youngjae. He had to wait for Youngjae to chose to talk about it again. Youngjae was the type who closed up if pressed for something, unlike Daehyun who when pressed his reaction was volatile but it did get the answer you asked for.  
 
The pair arrived at school and sat down at their desks when, Minjun, the school's top dog approached them. "So I heard Youngjae is destined to be 200 pounds" he said distastefully. "Though he must be close already" Youngjae just looked down, pretending to be really interested in how x squared appeared on a graph. Daehyun looked at Youngjae, who clearly wasn't going to defend himself. 
 
"He's not fat, Minjun. There is nothing wrong with his weight, plus the voting is stupid, you won most likely to be president and most likely to marry a supermodel." Daehyun said bitterly, "And you will do neither,   because Supermodels marry football players and to be president you actually have to be liked." Daehyun spat "and not just some selfish boy who only feels good when he's putting others down." For that outburst Daehyun received a punch to the jaw which he swiftly returned. It soon turned into a full brawl, which took three teachers to pull the boys apart from each other. 
 
Daehyun was sitting outside the principal's office when Youngjae approached him. "Thank you, you know for defending me" Youngjae smiled. Daehyun smiled saying it was nothing and that he'd promised to do it before. But to Youngjae it felt different, like Daehyun had gone above and beyond the realms of friendship to defend him and for that he was truly thankful. "Don't get too much detention, I have to wait for you, we're going to Yongguk's remember." Youngjae said cheerfully. 
 
"I know, Jae, you go eat lunch ok? I'll catch up with you." Daehyun smiled as he was called into the office. He got an hour's detention every night for a week, he was lucky it wasn't more as his record shows he has a history of fights. Daehyun walked out to the canteen to see Youngjae sitting there with a plate with half a portion of curly fries on it. "Not eating any more?" Daehyun asked, Youngjae smiled at Daehyun and shook his head. 
 
"I got these for you, cus the canteen was closing." Youngjae smiled. Daehyun just nodded and started eating. Daehyun gently held one out to Youngjae to took it and ate it, "Thanks I've already eaten but thanks." Youngjae rested his arm on the table and rested his head on his arm. Zelo came bounding up to the pair, he sat next to Daehyun and stole one. The trio laughed a little before Youngjae asked Zelo where Jongup was. 
 
"Jonguppie is with his girlfriend." Zelo pouted, "and she doesn't like me, so I have to sit alone, because you two are slow to leave class." Zelo continued to pout and huff. Daehyun laughed and ruffled the younger's hair. 
 
"You coming to see Gukkie and his daughter today?" Daehyun asked, Zelo shook his head saying he went yesterday and that the baby tried to pull off his face mask, causing another eruption of laughter from the older two. "Anyway we have to go to Yearbook so see you tomorrow JoonHong, you can finish up for me" Daehyun said as he got up, dragging Youngjae with him. The pair arrived at the yearbook committee room. Once they'd begun working the head came over. 
 
"So I heard you took one of the most likely to...'s out" She said
 
"Yes, I did, Naeun." Daehyun rolled his eyes, "I don't think that the yearbook should be used to bully students so I took it out. It's not going back in." Daehyun said quietly as he turned back to help Youngjae with the formatting. Youngjae smiled a little, he felt like Daehyun was properly looking after him, which he was. He liked the feeling, the safe feeling. The rest of the work was done without any interuptions and the pair went back to class, Daehyun smirked as he was walked past Minjun who had come out worse for wear after the fight.  "He won't bother you again" Daehyun smiled at Youngjae.
 
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
 
Thank you for reading Chapter one, 
I hope that you enjoyed reading it
as always comments and subs are appreciated <3