forever is a lie

The Angel’s Lucifer

 

Music: Obsession - SHINee

 

Soaring around the pathways of heaven, your eyes wandered around as you searched for someone. A beam leisurely crept up to your facade when you saw her. “Gotcha.”

 

You grabbed your best friend’s arm and dragged her away with you. “Come on, Hyeri. You promised me that you’ll go with me today.”

 

Hyeri took her arm back and hid it behind her. “Wait, I don’t know what you’re talking about. What do you mean by I promised to go with you today?”

 

With a pout playing on your lips, you crossed your arms. “We’re going to the clouds today, don’t you remember? I would like to check on Jonghyun.”

 

There was a colossal smirk plastered on Hyeri’s face as she said. “Check on Jonghyun? Or are you going to go and stare at Minho all day long again?”

 

You tried to conceal the red color on your cheeks. “Stop teasing me, okay?” Hyeri laughed vociferously. “I’m not teasing you, because that’s what you really do. Isn’t it true?”

 

You rolled your eyes. “Whatever. Why don’t you just go with me, so that you can also watch over Ahn Jaehyo? Aren’t you his guardian angel?”

 

Hyeri snapped her fingers. “Oh, you’re right. I haven’t been watching over him for days already. So, what are we waiting for? Let’s rock and roll.”

 

You flapped your white feathery wings and made your way to the fluffy clouds. As you were flying, Hyeri tried to nudge your arm. “How long have you been having a crush on Minho?”

 

You looked at her, then set your eyes straight-forward. “Since the first time I met him. Or should I say, saw him.” Hyeri crunched up her eyebrows. “And when was the first time that you saw him?”

 

You heaved a deep sigh. “Jonghyun? Ever since he was born.” Hyeri frowned at you. “I’m talking about Minho.” You clucked your tongue as you answered. “That happened five years ago.”

 

A wheeze escaped Hyeri’s mouth. “Five years? That’s not infatuation, my dear. That’s love.” You turned your head to grin at her. “I could already see the clouds. Let’s find a spot.”

 

You rapidly lied down, stomach down, on the clouds to avoid any further discussion about that certain topic, with your head resting on your arms. Hyeri did the same position as she moved to her spot to see Jaehyo.

 

You looked down to earth and you immediately saw Jonghyun with the other SHINee members. And of course, you also saw the love of your entire immortal life, Choi Minho.

 

You felt a trivial movement on your left and turned to see who it is, and it was Hyeri. You raised an eyebrow at her. “What are you doing here? Aren’t you going to watch over Jaehyo?”

 

Hyeri sighed mutely. “Jaehyo’s sleeping, and I bet he’ll just be okay. So, who are you watching down there? Is it Jonghyun or Minho?”

 

You took your eyes away from her and looked back to earth. “Of course, I’m watching over Jonghyun.” Hyeri laughed and started to get somber. “So, how is your research going?”

 

Letting out an unfathomable sigh, you replied with your eyes on Minho. “Still nothing. I have found the guardian angels of the other members. Onew’s guardian angel is Haneul, Taemin is for Yoora, and Seojin is watching over Key. I still don’t know who is assigned as Minho’s guardian angel.”

 

Hyeri was about to say something when a silky voice called your name. You both looked back and hastily stood up when you saw Leeteuk, heaven’s gate guard.

 

Bowing your heads, you greeted him. Leeteuk laughed in a high pitch giggles as he stared at you. “You don’t have to be reserved. May I have a moment with you? I need to confer to you about something.”

 

You looked at him and replied, “Yes, oppa.” You heard Hyeri whisper in your ears. “Did you do something wrong?” You replied in a supple voice. “No, I don’t remember doing anything against the laws of heaven.”

 

With ample eyes, Hyeri spoke in a dehydrated tone of voice. “Maybe it’s because of your love for Choi Minho.”

 

Alarm ran throughout your veins when Leeteuk nodded at you, a notice for you to trail after him. Before you took a stride to go after him, you looked down to earth and caught a glimpse of Minho.

 

“I’ll be in a nuisance because of my affection for you. I love you enough that I am willing to put myself in peril just to be able to love you. I love you so much, but do you love me too? Oh, of course, there’s no way you will be able to love me when you don’t even know about my existence.”

 

 

You took a cavernous pant and started to trail after Leeteuk but after a small number of steps, he halted from walking and turned his head to look back at you. “You can invite Hyeri to go with us too, if that makes you feel better.”

 

A fulsome beam lighted your face and you bowed your head in reverence. “Thank you, Leeteuk oppa. You are really great since you know what makes everyone feel better.”

 

You waved a hand at Hyeri. “Come here. Leeteuk oppa said you can go with me.” Hyeri’s eyebrows rose in gratefulness as she ran towards you. “Really? Wow, I would love to go with you.”

 

Hyeri and you wordlessly trailed behind Leeteuk oppa to his administrative center. You two earnestly thanked him as he invited you to sit on his comfy couch.

 

Leeteuk sat on his office chair and placed his elbows on his desk as he interlaced his fingers together. “We all know that you are the guardian angel of Kim Jonghyun, right? I would like to notify you that he is going to pass away after seven days.”

 

You felt your heart stopped beating and you felt like all the blood on your face was sapped. Jonghyun will die after seven days? For sure you will miss him, since you were his guardian angel since the day he was born.

 

You were with him through his fine and ghastly times. You are the one who runs to Leeteuk when some bad guys try to injure him. You will indubitably miss him, because Jonghyun has a heart of gold despite his loud behavior.

 

When an individual dies, the guardian angel that is taking care of him waits for him in the gates of heaven on the day he dies and brings him to Leeteuk oppa, since he is heaven’s gate guard.

 

Leeteuk is the one who notifies the angel to which passageway the soul is going, to heaven or to hell. When he is predestined to be in heaven, the gates extensively open for him but when he is ordained to go to hell, he is brought to the Black Portal which leads to the foyer of hell.

 

Leeteuk continued. “I am giving you a mission. I know this kind of circumstances only happened for a few times only, but it’s happening in your case. Typically, guardian angels don’t go down to earth to guard the human beings assigned to them. But I think you are going down to earth today to look after Jonghyun personally.”

 

Even after having all these nerve-racking thoughts, you can’t stop yourself from thinking about Minho.

 

 

Here you are now, jumping off the clouds and flying towards the dorm of the members of SHINee so that you can look closely on Jonghyun.

 

Leeteuk guaranteed you that you will be out of harm's way since average humans can’t see nor touch angels. The last words of Leeteuk kept on repeating on your head as you descended to earth.

 

“This mission was given to you, as the guardian angel of Kim Jonghyun, since an existence of a sturdy source of evil was felt near him. I am afraid that this evil being is trying to possess his body before he dies.”

 

You blew air on your bangs as your feet touched the cold marble floor of the dorm where the group members of Jonghyun are staying. Onew, Key and Taemin were nowhere to be seen around the house. Jonghyun was curled up on one side of his bed, dozing off and snoring.

 

Even though human creatures could not touch you, you still have the ability to hold things except human bodies.

 

Bored, you walked out of the bedroom and threw yourself on the couch in the living room. You turned your head to the direction of a sound, it was a door being opened.

 

Your heart started to beat crazily on your chest as you saw Minho lazily walking out of his room. Minho sat on the couch, which was placed in an opposite direction where you were sitting. He grabbed the remote control and started to switch channels on the television.

 

Minho turned to look at me and you started to panic, thinking that he might see you. But he just turned his eyes away from you and glued his eyes on the television screen again. Of course, Minho can’t see you since guardian angels are invisible to the human eyes.

 

This time, Minho’s eyes widened and he swiftly turned his head to face you. He blinked a few times and looked at you again with a stunned face. “Who the hell are you?”

 

You looked behind you and turned your head to look at his handsome face again. Minho tried to ask once again. “I’m asking you, so answer me. Who the hell are you? What are you doing in our dorm? How did you come in? Are you a stalker? Are you going to steal our underwear and sell them online?”

 

With your eyes as wide as saucers, you asked him. “Wait, you can see me?” Minho rolled his eyes with a sarcastic expression. “What makes you think that I’m a blind person?”

 

Clearing your throat, you bowed your head as you introduced yourself to the boy of your dreams. “I am Kim Jonghyun’s guardian angel.”

 

You swear that you really saw Minho’s jaw drop to the ground. “You’re an angel?” He stood up and reached a hand as he tried to touch your white feathery wings, but his hand wasn’t able to touch you. “You’re telling the truth. You’re really an angel.”

 

With your jaw dropped on the floor, you asked him, “What do you mean, Minho?” Minho sat next to you as he crossed his arms on his chest, “Wait a minute. How did you know my name? Are you a stalker or a fan girl?”

 

You looked away with a furtive beam, “I know you because you are one of Jonghyun’s acquaintances. I am his guardian angel, remember?”

 

He stood up in apprehension, “The members are coming in a minute. I wanted to talk to you, but I can’t just do that when they are around since they might think I’m going fanatical.”

 

“Then don’t talk to me,” You merely stated with a poignant look in your eyes. “If the members can’t you see, then they shouldn’t see me too so I can unreservedly talk to you,” he said with a nod.

 

“So, what are you going to do? Are we going somewhere there are no people around? Well, I can’t depart from Jonghyun since it is my duty to guard him,” You rested your back on the couch.

 

He asked you with twinkling eyes, “Do you want to know a secret about me?” The way he talked to you melted your insides and gave you shivers, “What secret?”

 

As if there was a cue, when the members opened the door, white smoke bordered Minho. When the smoke vanished, you saw him still sitting beside you. Nothing really changed on him, except the black wings he had.

 

Key opened the bedroom door, “Jonghyun is still sleeping.” Taemin looked around the dorm, “But where is Minho hyung?” Onew shrugged his shoulders, “I don’t know, maybe he went out or something.”

 

You asked Minho, “They can’t see me. But, they can’t see you too?” He flipped his bangs to the side of his head, “Of course, they really can’t see me. And I’m pleased with that since we can talk again.”

 

You touched his arm, “Oh, I can touch you. Are you an angel too? But why are your wings black? I haven’t seen any angel with the same wings as yours.”

 

He explained things further for you to comprehend, “You can touch me since I’m in my immortal form. You will never really see any angel with black wings since I’m not an angel.”

 

Your eyes widened in dreadfulness, “If you’re not an angel, then you’re a devil?”

 

Onew woke Jonghyun up, and the four of them gathered in the living room, watching television. Since the four of them were so strident, Minho tenderly grabbed your arm and he brought you to the dorm’s balcony, “You’ll love the fresh air here.”

 

You sat on the wooden benches and he began telling you everything, “You are wrong. I am not a devil. Well, I do belong to their kind but I’m not really one of them. I am a Lucifer, actually.”

 

He spilled all the things that you should know about him. He said that he was a Lucifer. Lucifers still belong to the kinds of devil, but devils are of low-class since Lucifers are the members of the imperial family of the devils.

 

You tapped his shoulder as you asked a question, “So, are you telling me that you are a prince in hell?” He nodded once, “Yes, I belong to the royal family and we are the ones who rule hell.”

 

Minho also said that his parents are the king and queen of hell, and his two brothers are the other princes too. You clasped my hands together, “I’m just curious, why can you be a human? Look at me, I’m an angel but I can never be a human.”

 

He laughed in a manly tone, a laugh that is opposite to Leeteuk oppa’s. He continued, “Every Lucifer has his own supremacy and aptitude. My older brother’s ability is being a shape shifter; he can be whatever animal he wants to be. My younger brother’s knack is speed, and he moves too fast. My ability is to be a human being, which is why I can be a human being whenever I want.”

 

According to Minho, the motive why he is here on earth is that he doesn’t want the kind of life he has in hell. He looked up to the skies as he sighed profoundly, “You were sent here on earth because Jonghyun will die after seven days, right?”

 

You looked down to your toes, “How did you know about that?” He chuckled, “I’m a Lucifer, and I hope you didn’t disregard that.” Total stillness enveloped the two of us as we gazed at the city lights.

 

The silence around you was not gauche, but it felt at ease. You spoke up to sever the silence, “I love your eyes. They’re beautiful.” He delicately chuckled, “Yes, they look like dark purple crescent moons.”

 

You asked, “Do all people see the crescent moon on your eyes?” He shook his head, “You can only see them when you’re an immortal.” Minho rapidly stood up as white smoke covered his body once again.

 

He was in his human form again, “I’m coming inside, and you can stay there if you want. I don’t want the other members to worry about me.”

 

You spoke without looking at him, “It was your presence that was felt by the heaven’s gate guard. I was brought down here to protect Jonghyun from you.”

 

Minho answered in a placid voice, “Don’t worry, I won’t hurt Jonghyun, since he is a friend of mine and he holds an exceptional place in my heart. You can trust me.”

 

And after saying those words, he went inside and closed the door behind him. You whispered as you brought your legs to your chest and hugged your knees, “So, that is why he doesn’t have any guardian angel.”

 

 

As the days of your stay here on earth passed by, Minho and you became closer and closer each day. He didn’t leave you unattended or unaccompanied, and he even introduces you to the things that you will never find in heaven.

 

Minho even transforms into a Lucifer just to be able to touch you, since he can’t do that when he is in his human form. One boring day, the both of you were parked on the couch, watching television all day long.

 

Minho was sitting beside you with a box of popcorn on his hand, “Do you want some? It’s really scrumptious, try it.” You pouted as you crossed your arms on your chest, “No, thanks.”

 

He got the box of popcorn away from your face and started to eat it again. You messed up your hair feverishly, “I am so bored to death inside this house. Can we do something entertaining, Minho?”

 

He answered with his eyes fixed on the television screen, “Something pleasurable? Well, I think is cool!” You grabbed a pillow and barely hit his face with it, “I despise you!”

 

What you did caused Minho to fall down on the ground with a thud, “Ouch!” Because even though you can’t have any physical contact, you can still touch and hold nonliving things.

 

Jonghyun walked out of the room and looked at Minho bizarrely, “What’s wrong with you?” Minho hastily gained his posture as he sat back down, “Nothing, hyung. A vast rat just passed by, causing me to fall off my seat.”

 

He said, emphasizing the word rat as he glared at you. Jonghyun leisurely nodded, “I’m going out with Sekyung today. Are Onew, Taemin and Key not yet back from their schedules?”

 

Minho shrugged his shoulders unflappably, “The three of them will be back at 2 a.m., hyung.” With a good bye, Jonghyun wore his shoes and walked out of the dorm. You raised an eyebrow at Minho, “So, I am a rat now, huh?”

 

Minho changed the subject to avoid any pandemonium with you, “You said you were fed up, right? Why don’t we go out to have some excitement?” You got up and clapped your hands, “Are we going to ride your car again?”

 

He shook his head, “Nope, because the last time we did, people were giving me uncanny looks. I guess they’re thinking that I‘m going out of my mind when I was chatting with you, it seems as if I was talking to myself.”

 

You sighed in trounce, “So, are you telling me that we are going to walk?” White smoke appeared and Minho’s black wings flapped, “We’re flying!” You cheered in enchantment, “Really? I haven’t been flying for days already!”

 

The both of you flew on the air on their way to the amusement park, holding hands. People didn’t even know that an angel and a devil were flying on the sky with the birds and the clouds.

 

When you reached the gate of the situate, you whispered to Minho, “I think the line is too long.” He chuckled as he placed an arm around your shoulder, “Who said we’re going to line up? They can’t see us, remember?”

 

You snapped your fingers, “Oh, yeah! How can I fail to remember about that one?” The two of you walked around the vicinity with contented smiles on your faces.

 

You tugged on Minho’s arm as you pointed the puppy in front of you, “Look at that puppy. Isn’t it endearing?” Minho dispassionately looked at the animal but when he noticed the puppy’s face, he placed you behind him.

 

You were about to kick Minho out of your way, but you froze on your position when you saw the animal’s eyes, “Minho, you have the same eyes with this puppy. But his eyes are red, and yours are dark purple.”

 

Minho crossed his arms as he stared down at the puppy, “Choi Minsuk, what the hell came into your mind that you wanted to be a puppy now? Are you drained of being a Lucifer? Is hell too tedious for you now?”

 

White smoke appeared and the puppy turned into a human form with black wings, “Choi Minho, I will be glad if you don’t revisit hell anymore.”

 

Minho perilously smirked, “And why would I want to go back to that crappy place?” Minsuk stared at him with his red smoldering eyes, “You know that I wanted to be the king and I would do everything just to get that title. And who knows? That little angel behind you will be my queen.”

 

And with that, Minsuk flew away from them with a devilish chortle. Minho closed his eyes as he tried to serene himself down, “Come on, it’s getting dark and the amusement park is about to close.”

 

You nodded, “Okay, but what should we ride? I don’t know anything here.” He held your hand and pointed to a ride, “How about the Ferris wheel?” You beamed vividly, “Sure, that seems so entertaining to ride!”

 

He sensitively whispered to your ear, “There is a legend about that Ferris wheel. I can only tell it to you when we are inside and when we reached the highest spot.”

 

You grabbed his arm and ran to the Ferris wheel, “Let’s rock and roll!” When you and Minho entered a vacant miniature room in the Ferris wheel, Minho started to tell you about the legend.

 

“They say that when two people ride a Ferris wheel, they must kiss when they reach the highest peak so that they’ll end up together. And now, we’re in the highest peak.”

 

Your eyes widened in disbelief when Minho leisurely crashed his lips to yours, after a few seconds, you started to close your eyes to savor the moment.

 

 

Dusk came, and then there was dawn. And the mighty sun rose up for a new day.

 

Minho asked you in a stumpy voice, “We have a fan meeting event today. Do you want to go with us?” You nodded as a sign of conformity to what he just said.

 

He said in a cracked voice, “Today is the day that is meant for Jonghyun hyung’s death, right?” You paused for a while, but nodded at a snail’s pace after a few moments.

 

Minho stated with ominous eyes, “After everything, you’re going back to heaven and never come back here on earth.” You gave him a diminutive smile but didn’t say anything.

 

When all of the SHINee members were geared up to go, they all went to the car where their driver and manager are waiting for them. The manager sat on the passenger’s seat near the driver.

 

The middle seat was occupied by Onew, Key, Jonghyun and Taemin. The ones at the back seat were you, who can’t be seen by anyone except for the devil beside you who was in his human form.

 

The whole moment during the protracted ride, you watched Jonghyun with teary eyes while Minho looked at him with forlorn eyes.

 

Minho looked away as he thought that Jonghyun is in high spirits today, he didn’t even know what kind of doom waits for him.

 

When everyone reached their places, Minho spoke as they walked towards the stage. He cleared his throat so that the other four members will look at him, “Why don’t we have a group hug before the fan meeting event?”

 

Key raised a perfectly shaped eyebrow at him, “You were the one that hates group hug. What’s with the change of mind, my son?” Minho ineptly scratched the back of his neck, “Oh, nothing. I just really missed that one.”

 

Onew nodded, “Minho’s right. We should have a group hug and a little hwaiting before we start.” Taemin nodded as he agreed with the leader. Jonghyun opened his arms extensively and all of them had an unyielding group hug.

 

After the exhausting event, SHINee walked back to their vehicle as they stretched their arms because of the time-consuming day they had, their manager and driver walked ahead of them.

 

You trailed behind them with your head down, with Minho beside you. You and Minho closed your eyes and groaned in pain when a dazzling light from heaven blinded your eyes.

 

He stopped walking and looked at you directly in the eyes, “It’s time.” Taemin turned around to look at him with an enormous strawberry lollipop on his mouth, “Did you say something, hyung?”

 

The maknae shrugged his shoulders coolly and turned around again to walk ahead when Minho shook his head.

Out of the blue, a fan girl frantically ran to their direction and she held Jonghyun’s arm, “Oppa, please take this orange juice. I bought this just for you!”

 

Jonghyun thanked the fan as he took the cup from her, then the fan walked away with a surreptitious simper on the side of her lips.

 

When Jonghyun was about to take a sip from the juice, Minho unexpectedly yanked the cup out of his hands.

Jonghyun shouted at him, “Give that back to me! That’s mine! If you are really thirsty, you could have just asked.”

 

Everyone’s eyes widened when Minho engulfed the whole juice like a ravenous lion and after a few moments, he started to cough blood out.

 

All the members of SHINee promptly ran to his side as they frenetically shouted, “Minho, are you okay?” Minho imperceptibly coughed blood to his fist as he tried his best to sit up with the aid of the other members.

 

“Manager hyung, you are the most unswerving manager I have ever met. Thank you for being uncomplaining to us and for defending us when something goes wrong.”

 

Their manager just stood in his position, frozen in astound and incredulity. Minho turned to look at Onew, “Onew hyung, you are the best leader any group could ever have. You are always indulgent and steadfast to us.”

 

Onew’s tears flowed as he hugged Minho’s flimsy body in his arms. Minho touched Key’s hand, “Key hyung, I am sorry if there are times that I don’t listen to you. I am so indebted that we have an umma in this group who takes care of us.” Key nodded as he wiped the blood off Minho’s lips, “Hush.”

 

Minho smiled at the maknae, “Taemin-ah, thank you for being always there for me. You are still juvenile and there are still many things that are ahead of you. Make your dreams come true.”

 

Taemin fell on his knees as he held on Minho’s hands, “Hyung, don’t leave.” Minho looked up to Jonghyun who looked stoned, “Jonghyun hyung, that fan gave you this poisoned juice wanted to kill you since she can’t accept that you are in a relationship with Sekyung. Continue being that guy who wants to make everyone smile, okay?”

 

Jonghyun hugged him as he moved the hair out of Minho’s eyes, “Minho, stop this! You aren’t dying, okay? The ambulance is coming!”

 

Finally, Minho’s eyes landed to the lament you beside him, “Do not cry, my angel. You know that it hurts me every time I see your tears.”

 

You knelt down in front of Minho, “Why did you do that? Why did you drink that juice? You know that this is Jonghyun’s providence.”

 

He smiled a heartbreaking smile, “I know and I only did that so that I can save his life. You know how much SHINee means to me.”

 

SHINee’s eyebrows crunched up in puzzlement and curiosity as they saw Minho talking to nothing, but air. You banged your fists on the ground, “How can you change the vocation? There is no way you can do that!”

 

Minho looked at you with amorous eyes, “I can do that since I am a Lucifer, remember? How many times do I have to tell you that you shouldn’t disregard that one? I forgot to tell you that one of the abilities of every Lucifer is to know the cause of a person’s death.”

 

The SHINee members were not able to hear what Minho was talking about because of the raucous buzzing of the people around.

 

Your eyes widened when Minho almost closed his eyes, “Minho, you won’t die if you transform into your Lucifer form. Come on, be back into your Lucifer form again so that you can live.”

 

You tried to shake Minho’s shoulders, but failed because you weren’t able to touch him, “Choi Minho, why won’t you listen to me?! I said transform into Lucifer again! Do you really want to die this way?! Please listen to me! I can’t afford to lose you.”

 

Minho smiled an indisputable smile at you, “You know why I did this? Do you want to know? I didn’t only do this for Jonghyun, but for myself too. I wanted to be with you.”

 

You looked at him with perplexed eyes, “To be with me? I don’t understand what you are talking about.” Minho dimly reached a hand to hold your face, but he was not able to touch you.

 

“After I die, please let me be your guardian angel.”

 

And with that, Minho’s breathing hitched and his eyes closed everlastingly. SHINee tearfully kneeled down beside Minho’s lifeless body with pain and remorse. You felt worse than what other people around Minho felt.

 

You felt that an immense part of heaven was just taken away from you.

 

 

a/n: thank you for reading! and yes, after all the romance, drama, angel and demon theme, that was the ending. don't worry, i know how you feel.