01

I Got You

 

 

This was probably the most important day of my life.

 

I never saw it coming, really. But here I was, clad in a shining white suit.

 

I paced back and forth, rounding the small waiting room. In just a few minutes, I’ll be waiting by the altar for the woman who would fix the glitches and complete the missing puzzle pieces in my life.

 

 My better half… my soon to be wife.

 

“Aish! Jong, would you please stop walking? Relax man.” I heard Key, still fidgeting with his hair. As much as I want to, I couldn’t force myself not to be agitated. “God! Key, I’m getting married. How am I supposed to calm down?”  I retorted, still pacing the small room.

 

“Of course. Wedding jitters.” Minho joined in the conversation. I turned to him and smiled – at least someone here understands. “At least stop pacing back and forth – you’re giving me a headache.” I glowered at him; just when I thought somebody understands the hell I’m going through. Then there was a knock on the door.

 

 “Hi.” Yoona peered through the small opening she made herself. “We’re going to start in about ten minutes.” She finally went inside, wearing a simple white dress that accentuates her beautiful face. I am lucky to have her as my best friend. “Well then, Key let’s go check on the guests.” Minho beckoned, living the two of us alone.

 

Soon as the two rowdy boys were out, Yoona spread her arms and moved towards me. She wrapped her slender arms around my waist and rested her head on my chest. I hugged her in return, smelling her scent. “Oppa… this is it. This is your dream - coming true.” “Hmm.” I simply replied. “You’ll be starting a family with Sica unnie, I want you to be a good husband. Make her happy – you need to stop acting like a child and be man enough to cater for unnie and your future children.” No matter how natural she spoke, I can tell that Yoong already started crying. I pulled out from the hug, cupped each side of her face with my hands and brush the little trinkets of her tears with my thumb. “Yoona, I thought you were my best friend?” she furrowed her brow in response. “Could it be that you’re my missing mother? – you’re telling me exactly how to raise a family!” She hit my shoulders quite hard and a smile curved her lips. I can’t afford to have my best friend crying on my wedding day. Then there was another knock on the door.

 

Taemin, Yoona’s little brother peeked inside the room. “Noona, hyung – it’s time.” Those words were enough to make my heart sky rocket and start beating furiously once again. Yoona, with the help of Taemin kinda liked dragged me from the waiting room to the chapel were numerous guests were waiting, deafening us with cheers and blinding us with the flash of their cameras.

 

I stand by the altar side by side with Key – my best man. I felt strange – like something was not right. I was anxious, I want to walk, I want to move around, and I can’t stay still. I know it was the wedding jitters just like what Minho said but, really I’m not feeling good. That was when Yoona appeared by my side, tapping my shoulder. “Oppa, relax. Breathe.” She said, while fixing my tie and suit’s collar. I breathe in – then out. I did these a couple of times and it actually worked. With a smile and another pat, Yoona left me and took her position.

 

The ceremony begun with Yoona playing River Flows in You, my favorite piano piece. With Yoong playing at the background, I came to my senses and I felt relax. This is just a wedding, nothing bad will happen – that’s what I thought. The procession started – the flower girls throwing rose petals all over the place, the ring bearer tumbling down the aisle and still making it out alive, then the sponsors. And finally came my bride.

 

Jessica was walking; no she was floating towards me. She’s wearing a luxurious white gown embroidered with golden accents, her hair up in ways I didn’t know possible, and she was also wearing the infamous Ice Princess look she’s known for. I was stunned, breathless.  There was a smile etched on my face.

 

Just when Jessica was inches away from me, when I was about to reach for her hand - she suddenly stood still on her track. She looked at me and I met the Ice Princess’ icy orbs; we stood there for minutes, gazes locked on each other. Suddenly, she turned around and started to run away.

 

 She ran away from our hopes, our dreams - she ran away from… me.

 

I felt a pang shot straight through my heart. I was thunderstruck, standing there at the altar rooted on the ground. With all the buzzing around me, people moving everywhere – my brain stopped functioning.