Chapter 3

All Because of You, I believe in Angels
I’ll be your dream, I’ll be your wish
I’ll be your fantasy
I’ll be your hope, I’ll be your love
Be everything that you need
~Savage Garden, “Truly, Madly, Deeply”
 
Sungmin pressed his hands against the cool counter in his tiny kitchen. He closed his eyes as he released a sigh.
 
What was this so called plan God had for Kyuhyun?
 
Sungmin was never overtly told, nor was he even given a hint as to what he was supposed to do once he saved his prospect from his abusive mother—which he had done already. What was he supposed to do now?
 
And what the hell were these things he was feeling?
 
As an angel, he had never felt so strongly towards anyone or anything—there was just never a need, everything was fine and perfect. Not until he came to Earth had he felt such differing emotions. From the excitement he felt when he heard a child running around with a dog, to the pure hatred he felt when he saw the man touching Kyuhyun. And the strange feeling he couldn't describe when he looked into Kyuhyun's eyes, when Kyuhyun had felt his wings. Sungmin didn't understand any of it.
 
He had heard stories about what it felt like when a prospect made it into heaven and could be forever united with his angel, but Sungmin could never understand. He had heard that the peace found in heaven could not even compare to the peace felt when in company of your prospect. He had heard that, but he couldn't believe it—how could simply being in the presence of someone else be even remotely better than all of heaven?
 
But when Kyuhyun touched his wing...
 
He had been so gentle and so worried about possibly hurting him—Sungmin was grateful for that. But the chill Sungmin felt run down his spine and all the way to his toes was something unexpected. He had touched his own wings plenty of times, but never had he felt anything like that! In fact, when he touched his own wings, it hadn't felt any different from touching his hair or arm, just another piece of himself; however, when Kyuhyun touched them...
 
Maybe it was simply whenever someone else touched his wings? He had never let anyone touch his wings before. However, when he was young, just a mere child, he used to run around with his wings exposed freely, not really caring about how they flopped around as he ran, because it truly didn’t matter—in heaven, wings are an everyday thing. He had played with the other young angels and he was sure he must have at least bumped into someone with his wings some time...surely he would remember if it had felt the same as when his prospect brushed his finger against a feather, separated the feathers and toyed with them, when he ran his hand along the prominent bone, or when he grazed his finger against his back—Sungmin was sure he had never felt anything like that before.  
 
It had felt good. It made him feel urges that he didn't know he could feel. He had almost felt like he wanted to-
 
Sungmin's eyes shot open.
 
“No.” Sungmin said firmly. “That can't be right.”
 
Deciding to try to forget what was plaguing his mind, Sungmin turned and headed back to the bedroom that housed his prospect.
 
He peeked inside the room to see Kyuhyun sitting up, leaning against the wall as he took tiny sips of his soup.
 
Sungmin smiled as he felt another strange and new feeling rise up from the pit of his stomach—this one not unpleasant. It was a warm feeling, light and airy; it rose to his chest and his smile grew as he watched Kyuhyun take another tiny sip of the soup he had made.
 
“Do you like it?” Sungmin asked, finally taking a step into the bedroom.
 
Kyuhyun looked up, surprised by the angel's sudden appearance. He nodded with a smile as he continued to chew the noodles.
 
“I made it myself.” Sungmin said, a grin of pride taking over his face. “It's the first thing I've made by myself down here.”
 
“Down here?” Kyuhyun asked.
 
“From up there...” Sungmin said with a smile, pointing skywards.
 
Kyuhyun followed the direction Sungmin was pointing with his eyes, cocking his head as he stared at the ceiling, until realization hit him.
 
“From heaven?” Kyuhyun asked.
 
Sungmin nodded, taking a seat on the bed next to Kyuhyun.
 
“This is the first thing you've made?” Kyuhyun asked, disbelief evident in his voice.
 
“Yep!” Sungmin said, clapping his hands together and resting them on his lap.
 
“It's delicious!” Kyuhyun said, taking another sip.
 
“Thank you.” Sungmin said with a smile, that warm, pleasant feeling returning and causing his cheeks to heat up.
 
There was a lull in the conversation as Kyuhyun continued to sip slowly at his soup. Suddenly, he hissed and held the bowl of soup away from him.
 
“One of your ribs is broken.” Sungmin answered calmly, knowingly as he reached and took the bowl away from Kyuhyun, placing it on the nightstand. 
 
Kyuhyun looked at the angel with wide eyes before he carefully pulled the shirt he was wearing up to expose his torso wrapped tightly in bandages. 
 
“How did I not realize that earlier?” Kyuhyun asked, poking at his tender torso.
 
“I think you were more overwhelmed by the fact that I had wings.” Sungmin said with a chuckle. 
 
Kyuhyun began to push the blanket off of him in order to better assess his body. He was beginning to remember exactly what happened to him before waking up with Sungmin at his side.
 
“What else is wrong?” Kyuhyun asked. 
 
“You just have bruises.” Sungmin answered. He started wincing as Kyuhyun pushed the blankets passed his hips—he knew what was going to be asked next. 
 
Kyuhyun paused as he looked at his clothed hips—when he had passed out in the alleyway, his pants had been around his ankles...
 
“T-That guy…” Kyuhyun mumbled eyes still on his hips. “Did…Did he-“
 
“No. He didn’t do anything to you. I stopped him before he could-“ Sungmin stopped abruptly at the thought of what the man could have done to his prospect. 
 
Kyuhyun stared at his legs, breathing a sigh of relief. “Thank you.” 
 
“You don’t have to thank me for that one.” Sungmin said, his smile coming back slowly. 
 
Kyuhyun pulled the blanket back up to his chest before he began to speak again. “So what is this special plan that God has for me?” He asked incredulously. 
 
“I don’t really know.” Sungmin answered honestly.
 
“You don’t know? You could predict when I was going to throw up, but you don’t know God’s plan?”
 
“I was never really told! It’s complicated. We are only given so much information about our prospect’s future.” Sungmin answered, crossing his arms with a slight pout. 
 
“How do you know he even has a plan, then?” 
 
“Well, I’m here, aren’t I?” Sungmin asked, that cheeky grin reappearing. 
 
“What does that mean?” 
 
“Angels aren’t allowed on Earth-“
 
“Unless allotted time, you said that.” Kyuhyun interrupted. 
 
“Yes, but even then, we are only ever allowed mere moments on Earth. Just long enough to jerk the car wheel just a little in order to avoid a head on collision, just long enough to push our prospects from the line of fire of a stray bullet. I already passed that point days ago.”
 
“How long have you been on Earth?” 
 
“About a month and a half.” 
 
“A month and a half!” Kyuhyun repeated in disbelief. “You’ve been following me for that long?”
 
Sungmin nodded. 
 
“Why did I only see you for the first time in the clearing in the woods?”
 
“I can remain invisible, just like I can keep my wings invisible. In all honesty, Kyuhyun, I’ve never left your side for nearly a month and a half.” Sungmin had a sly grin covering his face that slowly diminished as Kyuhyun face contorted in sudden confusion and…anger.
 
“Are you ting me? My mother knocked me unconscious three times last month! She nearly drowned me in the bath tub! What the were you doing for a month and a half?” Kyuhyun was screaming at a now shocked Sungmin. He was gripping the blankets with white knuckles as he continued to scream. “This is why I never believed there was a god! Who stands back and just watches someone get tortured by his own mother? Why the didn’t you step in earlier? It had to take nearly getting by a stranger in an alleyway for God to want you to step in?”
 
Sungmin cringed at nearly every word, seeing the hurt flash by Kyuhyun’s watery eyes. 
 
“Kyuhyun, I swear I wanted to step in so many times! It was horrible to have to stand in the same room as you while your mother be-…” Sungmin voice cracked as he remembered having to watch his prospect get beaten day after day without the ability to step in and intervene. 
 
“Then why didn’t you?”  Kyuhyun deadpanned. 
 
“I couldn’t.” Sungmin said shortly, trying his best to stop himself from crying. 
 
“What do you mean you couldn’t?” 
 
“God wouldn’t let me.” 
 
“He wouldn’t let you?” Kyuhyun said with a snigger.
 
“I promise you, Kyuhyun, if I had had the ability, I would have stepped in years ago.” 
 
“Are there some sort of rules in heaven, or something?” Kyuhyun asked, only slight anger audible this time, genuine curiosity coming through. 
 
“Or something… Humans have called it fate.” Sungmin answered, looking to his feet as if he was being scolded.
 
“Fate?” Kyuhyun repeated. “It was fate that I needed to be abused and nearly before someone decided to help?” 
 
“Kyuhyun I-“
 
“I’m not blaming you.” Kyuhyun interrupted, looking to his hands, breathing slowly to calm his anger. 
 
“What?” Sungmin asked, finally looking back to Kyuhyun.
 
“I can tell it bothered you to stand by and watch.” 
 
“Kyuhyun, I couldn’t stand it. In the times when…you know…I was physically unable to become visible or affect anything. God had some sort of reason for waiting, but I don’t know what it is, and it nearly killed me, Kyuhyun.”
 
“Why do you already feel so strongly about me?” Kyuhyun asked, eyeing Sungmin with curiosity. “I know you apparently have been watching me my whole life, but you’ve never actually met me. How can my wellbeing affect you so much?”
 
“I told you how an angel’s greatest wish is to be united with his prospect, that they are the perfect pair and will remain together for eternity.” Kyuhyun nodded, suddenly completely engrossed. “Nearly from the very beginning, we love our prospects with our entire being.” Sungmin finished with eyes full of complete devotion. 
 
Kyuhyun stared for a moment. “You love me?” 
 
Sungmin nodded vigorously, a smile pulling at his lips. 
 
“You love me?” Kyuhyun repeated, trying to clarify his true meaning.
 
Sungmin paused for a moment, as if in thought, before nodding vigorously, again. 
 
Kyuhyun remained silent this time, looking to his fingers as he played with the end of the blanket. 
 
Sungmin stared, his smile dropping, as he thought about what he had just insinuated. He did love Kyuhyun, he had ever since Kyuhyun was a mere child; however, he didn’t think that was the love his prospect had meant. He knew what happened when prospects actually made it to heaven and united with their angels; he knew that the pair remained forever blissfully content in the company of the one they truly love. Sungmin also knew that this united love was different from the love felt by the angel before being united with his prospect; he understood that there was a grave difference between the two emotions. Sungmin nodded and agreed that he loved Kyuhyun, because he has for years now. But he also nodded and agreed that he truly loved Kyuhyun with all of his being—although they were not in heaven, Sungmin was currently united with his prospect—the love has changed.