Luck is Never on My Side...Well Maybe Sometimes

My Three Second Girl

"Yoseob I swear, I will honestly kick your if you don't get out of bed and get ready," Kikwang threatened, kicking my shin. I attempted to sit up and follow his orders because I couldn't stand his constant nagging, but I felt a woozy feeling in my head and my whole body feeling sweaty and all bad. I groaned while laying back down, my throat feeling sore and stuck. "Don't fake this stuff Yoseob. Now quit your acting and get ready for school."

I tried to say something to explain how bad I felt, but I let out a nasty cough again, causing his angry pout to become a worried, motherly expression. "Yoseob? Are you alright?" I opened my mouth again and only let out more coughs. They hurt my throat so I tried to keep them in. It made it worse. In a few minutes I was completely caught in a fit of coughs, begging my throat to spare me some mercy. "Hold on. I'll get some medicine. Aish, you should've told me that you were sick. How could I tell you that I was sick, I thought as I glared at him in disbelief. Once he came back, he put some cough drops on the table and a warm towel with some water. He gestured me to lie down and dampened the towel more, squeezing out some of the excess. He placed it on my head and went to the door, pausing to gaze at me again.

"Well, you just rest for today alright? I'll tell you what happens at school. Bye." I weakly smiled and waved as he walked out the door and closed it. I sighed sadly. I didn't want to miss school. We were supposed to take notes on the subjects that I didn't understand! The midterms are close and yet I haven't even opened my textbooks for anything for me to go over!

Most importantly, I had to go the day without seeing Jieun! I could imagine cold-hearted Wooyoung bothering innocent Jieun as she tries her best to avoid him while taking notes. Why today of all days? Why couldn't I just get sick on a weekend? When I had no schedules to do or anything. Aww.

Well, I laid on my bed the whole day, occasionally taking a cherry flavored cough drop. It didn't help at all, but, then again, Kikwang didn't really get me food since he's at school, so I'm pretty hungry. I know that if I was hungry that I could just go downstairs to get something to eat, but my body ached every time I moved and my coughs would just progress every time I open my mouth. I was in terrible condition. I tossed my head over to a colder spot in my pillow and felt my eyes droop as my head spin. Hopefully, if I sleep more, then maybe I'll feel ten times better when I wake up.

So, with that on my mind, I found myself in a deep slumber.

----------------------

KiKwang PoV

I went on without Yoseob, checking my watch to see if I was late for class. I wanted to give the teacher a note to excuse him from class beforehand so I sprinted to school, my school bag flapping this way and that, sometimes smacking me in the face.

When I reached to the school, I saw Junhyung and Doojoon who were also in the same class as Yoseob and I and went over to them.

"Yo Kwangie! Where our cute Yoseob?" Doojoon asked, looking around. "Did you ditch him to go to school earlier or what?" I shook my head and waved my note.

"Yoseob's sick today. He was spending a lot of time in the rain WITHOUT an umbrella. Seriously, how stupid can he get?" I explained, an exasperated sigh escaping my lips.

"Says the pabo, Junhyung sneered, snatching the note," you're aren't that clever Kikwang." I growled as I snatched the note back.

"Quit it! I just want to give this to the teacher since we were supposed to take notes on a subject he wasn't doing well, so I was thinking of getting some help from him. I mean, I would take notes myself but-"

"But most of the time you sleep in class," Junhyung interrupted, grinning. I glared at him as he coolly went to class. I looked at Doojoon, a whining look on my face.

"Why does he always pick on me?" I whined, pouting. Doojoon patted my head as he stepped through the classroom.

"I don't know. Maybe he's just a bit bored. You know that he usually picks on Yoseob. Say, does Yoseob like anyone?" I widened my eyes a little and I shot my head up.

"What? N-no. No he doesn't. Never ask again about it because I won't know and neither will you and-"

"Okay, okay. I get it. Secret," Doojoon grinned, patting my head again. "You really are a pabo Kikwang." Wit that, he sent inside the classroom, leaving me a few steps outside. I entered the class soon after, pouting a little from my mistake. I was supposed to act normal when he asked that question, not become a scared rabbit or something. I need to learn how to keep secrets.

When I entered the classroom, I took my seat, patiently waiting for the teacher to come in. When Mr Lee walked inside, I was about to get up until he ordered everyone to sit down, so I stayed in my seat. He started taking attendance by row. When he came to the back row, where Yoseob sat, that's when I saw my chance.

"Im Yoona?"

"Here."

"Lee Donghae?"

"Here."

"Lee Joon?"

"Here.

"Jang Wooyoung?"

"Here."

"Yang Yoseob?"

No answer. The silence was undisturbed for a few minutes until Mr. Lee decided to say the name again.

"Yang Yoseob?"

Again, no answer. He looked up from the attendance sheet and frown. He put a mark on Yoseob's name and was about to continue on with attendance until I raised my hand.

"Mr. Lee? I came with a note for Yoseob," I announced, raising the note. He nodded as he came over to my desk and took the note. He opened it up and read it, stopped, then read it again.

"Kikwang, you know that I can't give him notes. If he wants information, he has to go to the class. I know he has some trouble in this area, but you know that he needs to produce the information in his head by himself. You can help him by sharing some of your notes if you're really that committed." I shook my head. Of course I wanted to help Yoseob, but I can't even help myself with education. He does way better in this than me.

So he moved on, taking care of the rest of the attendance. When he was done, he started talking more about the test while I drew in my notebook. I occasionally looked around the class, seeing how everyone was doing. Doojoon, who sat in front of me, was taking some notes. Junhyung was doing the same, listening to music secretly as well. Onew, or Jinki, the chicken mania, was done with his seventh page of notes and still continued to write more. Lee Joon was writing notes to Hyuna who was writing notes to Hyunseung, who, I forgot to mention, was also in this class. Yoona and Donghae were writing notes as well and Wooyoung was nudging Jieun while he was highlighting her notes. The rest of my class were taking notes. I looked at the clock. 25 more minutes until class ended. Oh joy.

----------------------

KRIIIING! KRIIIING! Finally! Break is starting. I prepared myself to rush out the door but a voice stopped me.

"Um," I turned to see who the voice was and raised an eyebrow. It's Jieun. "Do you have time to talk?"

"Uh sure," I replied, shoving my hands in my pockets. "What is it about?"

"Yoseob," she answered, playing with her fingers. She looked up at me, a worried look on her face. "What happened? Is he alright?" I looked at her, confused. She has boys right behind her, practically fanboying over the fact that they were near her and yet she asks about Yoseob.

"Well he's sick. He was spending two hours two look for something and ended up without an umbrella. I have been telling him that doing that is bad for you, but he wouldn't listen. He really needed to look for that thing. Anyway, is that all?" I explained and asked, taking a glance at my phone to see a message from Yoseob, who informed me that he woke up and felt worse.

"So he's sick because of that..." she mumbled, her expression looking a little depressed. I looked at her weirdly. Is she alright? What's with the sudden downfall of her mood?

"Uh, are you alr-"

"So this was the day where Mr. Lee would explain about a subject that Yoseob did get?" Jieun interrupted, taking a step closer to me. The fanboys growled as they proceeded forward, but Jieun turned around and stopped them, waving her hands. "Please don't. I'm only asking him something." They stood back, still glaring at me as Jieun turned back to me. "Well? It's today right?"

"Y-yes, but why do you need to-" She dashed off before I could say anymore,her fanboys following her. I sighed. Jieun's weirder than I thought. Buzzz. I picked up my phone only to leave a sweat drop to appear on my head.

From: Yoseob

To: Kikwang

Message: you should given me some food. I'm STARVING! And what about the cough drops? They don't work! They make it worse. I have a major headache and I can't even make myself rise from my bed. I hate being sick.

I texted back.

From: Kikwang

To: Yoseob

Message: Not my problem.

I turned off my phone after I messaged him and went back to class when I heard the bell ring. I know it is sort of my problem since I'm supposed to take care of him, but COME ON! Don't go complaining to me about everything. I never-well- he does listen to all the complaints and doesn't complain back. I guess that was kind of mean. Oh well, I'll take of that when I come back home.

The rest of my day was boring. All we did was take notes while the teacher droned on and on about each bullet point. Yoseob probably would've been all ears on it, but I couldn't even pay attention for five minutes. I wasn't exactly a star student, proven by my record of F's and D's. I drew and watched others the whole day until the bell rang and went out the door. I was stopped again by none else but Jieun, who was holding a small flip book.

"Uh, you again? Hello," I greeting, confused yet again. She waved slightly and put the notebook in front of me. The girl kept her head down, and waited for me to take it. With one eyebrow raised, I asked," What's this?"

"Well," she began, fiddling with her fingers," It's the notes for the subject in class. I thought that, since I had a bit of free time on my hands, I could make one for Yoseob to study so he's ready for our midterms. I thought that I would owe him since..." She stopped there, and smiled up and me. "Please give it to Yoseob. It's something to show my gratitude for."

With that, she left without saying a good bye or turning back. I glanced at the flip book and back at her. Curious, I opened it. It was full of notes, color coded and sectioned in different places. She also made a little column of questions that she labeled "What the test might ask." She put a lot of effort in to it, anyone could tell, and added small doodles of cartoons also reciting notes. Yoseob, you are one lucky guy, I thought as I walked back home, the flip book securely in my hand.

------------------

Back to Yoseob

I glanced at the clock. He should be coming home about now. I couldn't sleep. My throat kept acting up. I didn't eat anything (well I tried to eat my hand but....never mind) and my stomach was stretching my insides. I tried to get up, but I still ended up in a fit of coughs that suffocated me inside out. Occasionally, I would be able to go without coughing for a few minutes, but then the coughing started again, and wouldn't stop.

When I heard the door open, I rejoiced. Finally! Someone giving me food! I tried speaking up, but than a nasty coughing fit came over me and I unhappily went along.

"Yoseob?" a familiar voice was heard, opening the door. Kikwang stood, a spoon on his right hand and a bottle of sickly green cough medicine on the other. I stuck my tounge out in disgust as he went closer to me with the bottle of healing poison. When I took it, I felt much better, but the taste of so terrible that I couldn't open my open without feeling like hacking out. "Come on. If you drink this, I'll give you something. I know it tastes terrible, but if you want something that Jieun wanted me to give you, than drink it."

The name 'Jieun' made my ears perk up and my mouth move automatically, allowing him to give me spoonfuls of the green liquid. It was disgusting, and I vowed never to drink it again, but kept myself strong as I remembered that I would receive something Jieun would give me. I was curious. Was it my retarded umbrella? I school blazer? Anything I left in class? What? I was nervous to see what she had given me, and prayed that it wasn't an umbrella.

"Hmm, done already. Here. Jieun told me to give this to you. I think these are the notes you missed today. She had some free time, so she did these for you. Now I'll go cook some ramen for you. Want an egg?" I nodded, giving most of my focus to the blue flip book. I slowly opened to the cover, which had a note taped to it. Giving my care to the note and paper it was attached to, I cautiously opened the note and read from it. I could never wipe the smile off my lips.

 

Dear Yoseob,

     Hello. I heard that you were sick because of the rain. I'm sorry. It's my fault to run off like that. Anyway, I also heard that today was the day you needed to take note on, but since you couldn't come, I decided to help you with them. I know it's not much, but I hope you like it. I worked really hard on it. Just think of it as my token of gratitude for being a good friend to me since I arrived at that school. I hope you can go to school soon.

                                                                                                                 Sincerely,

                                                                                                                       Lee Jieun

Lee Jieun, you made my day.