MBLAQ's Cheondoong // The Wait for Me

-- Moments Undefined [Oneshot Series]

It was a fine, warm summer's evening. The crickets were chirping, gentle breezes were blowing, and the stars twinkled outside, lighting up the world with their silver glow. It was exactly the kind of night where one might sit back and reflect on life, lost in feelings of nostalgia and reminiscence of the years before.

 

And that was exactly what you were doing. With your boyfriend reading beside you, you snuggled closer to his side and thought back on your relationship. It had been nearly four years, you mused with a smile, four sweet, blissful years since he'd first asked you out. You remembered that day as clearly as if it were yesterday: He, with a nervous look and bouquet of flowers, had walked up to you as you were leaving your history lecture. Actually, it was more like he'd stumbled and tripped to you. The poor, clumsy guy had lost his balance, knocking you to the ground along with him. After scrambling to his feet and helping you up, he'd the flowers at you with a red face, looking like he wanted to crawl into a hole as he asked you out to dinner.

 

Of course, you'd agreed right on the spot.

 

It was like heaven after that. Admittedly, Cheondoong had been kinda shy and reserved at first. It had taken the guy more than two weeks to find the courage to hold your hand! But as the days passed by, he'd learned to be more open with you. Now he had no trouble kissing you in public, hugging you from behind, or even sleeping in the same bed as you. And you loved it. It was always an amazing feeling waking up in his arms, even if he did have a habit of squishing you like a teddy bear.

 

'He's so cute.' You watched him read his book with furrowed brows, the happy little smile never leaving your lips. 'So adorable and sweet, romantic, and funny, too. I can't believe I'm lucky enough to have him as my boyfriend. My first and only love... First and only- Wait, hang on a second...'

 

It was then that you came to a startling realization.

 

"Oh, wow," you murmured quietly. Cheondoong glanced up from his novel, peering at you over the rim of his glasses.

 

"Wow what?" he asked. You turned to him with a rather bemused expression on your face.

 

"Cheondoong, am I ugly?"

 

"... What?"

 

"Am I ugly?" you repeated. Cheondoong looked back at you without saying a word. He didn't really know what sort of response he should be giving you. Well, the obvious one to him was no, but what if this was a trick question? What if somehow, with your weird and irrational sense of logic, the answer you wanted to hear was a yes? Perhaps the brunette was over-thinking things, but after living with a scary sister for most of his life, he'd decided you could never be too safe when answering a female's question.

 

You nudged his arm expectantly. Cheondoong cleared his throat, praying he wouldn't find himself sleeping on the sofa tonight. "Isn't it kind of redundant to ask me?" he smiled faintly. "After all, I, being your boyfriend, would be a little biased towards that." You shook your head and made a face at him.

 

"I know that, silly! But I just wanted to ask..." Voice trailing off, you slid your gaze to the book in his lap. Sherlock Holmes, the cover read. Your boyfriend was always reading old classics. He claimed it was strictly for his English courses, but you knew that deep down, he was a major bookworm. "Sometimes, I wonder if there's... If there's anything unattractive about me. Like, a turn-off."

 

"Huh?" was your lover's smart reply. You rolled your eyes, but before you could poke fun at his oh-so apparent intelligence, he cut you off with his own words.

 

"That's ridiculous, Soomi. Of course there's nothing unattractive about you. You're beautiful," Cheondoong said plainly, as if he were stating a fact and not opinion. He pulled off his glasses and set them on the table, then gave you another quizzical expression. "What makes you ask that?"

 

You played with the frayed hem of your sleeve. "Because... You realize that it's been four years since we first went out?"

 

"Yeah. So?"

 

Upon hearing his blunt response, you snapped your head up to glare at him. "Four years, Cheondoong, we've been together for four years!" Cheondoong inwardly started to panic, thinking that this was about an anniversary he'd missed or something. But as he began mentally reviewing a list of presents he could buy at last minute, you sighed and softened your glare. "Just think... Four years. We're almost twenty-six now. That means we've been dating since we were in our early twenties."

 

"Oh..." Cheondoong said slowly. Truthfully, he still didn't get what you were saying. Women, right? But the man just nodded anyways, not wanting to incur your wrath again. "Err... So we're almost twenty-six... Do you want to celebrate over dinner tomorrow?"

 

If he wasn't so cute, you would have hit him on the head by now.

 

"No, you dummy." You sent him an exasperated look. "My point is, we started going out after we turned twenty-something. And you do know that you're my first ever boyfriend, right? I never dated anyone before you."

 

Cheondoong scrunched his nose. He felt like he was on a game show right now, one with tricky questions, a single right answer, and a bi-polar girlfriend for a host. For a second he considered asking for the "Call a Friend" freebie (maybe Joon could help- his pal knew everything there was to the art of pleasing a woman), but decided against it. "So... Instead of our age, you want to celebrate your al status instead?"

 

Now you really smacked him on the top of his head.

 

"Idiot!" You ignored his startled yelp. "Piece it together! For twenty-two years, I've never gone out with anybody before you. Why? Because no one's asked me! Why, Cheondoong? There has to be a reason."

 

Ah. An imaginary light bulb dinged to life above Cheondoong's (sore) head. So that was what you were talking about. The male wanted to snort at your doubts (like he'd said: women), but figured that wouldn't make him a very good boyfriend. And besides, he really didn't want to sleep on the couch today. So he watched you ramble on instead, being careful to hide his smile behind a serious expression.

 

You continued in your troubled tone. "Do you think that's it? Am I just so repulsively ugly that no one wanted to date me before? Tell me, Cheondoong. You're a guy, aren't you? What is it about me that scares the opposite away-"

 

Your boyfriend put a finger to your lips, effectively shutting you up.

 

"I don't think it's you," he said thoughtfully. "Unless those guys were dumb or whatever, I'm pretty sure some of them were tempted to ask you out. Who knows why they didn't. But you know, it's a good thing that nobody did. I'm glad I'm your first.

 

"But if you want a solid reason," he went on, lips quirking upwards, "I'll tell you one." He grinned at you. Immediately, you felt your heart start to race a bit and your cheeks heat up a few degrees. Really, you had been with this man for more than a few years, but every time he gave you that adorable smile, you felt like you were falling in love all over again.

 

Cheondoong removed his book off his lap, then turned to face you properly.

 

"Maybe," he said, scooting closer to you. "It's because those guys didn't have any taste in women at all."

 

"Or maybe," he brushed a stray lock of hair off your face. "It's because they couldn't see how perfect of a girl you are."

 

"Or just maybe," he slowly leaned down more until your noses were nearly touching. "It's because you were waiting for me to come along."

 

And he closed the distance between the two of you, washing away your worries with a sweet, lingering kiss that was only his.

 

 


 

 

OH, THE FLUFF DDDDD8

I apologize for the amount of cheesiness in this oneshot, and also if it seems rushed. I'm actually in a hurry right now, but I just wanted to get this out anyways (I really hate being a slow updater D:)

Hope you enjoyed it! I think I'll make the next oneshot a long one ^w^