The Octave

The Eighth Note

 

I frowned at the empty space before me. “What the—?”

 

The page was empty.

 

It was blank except for the last note of the octave written on the header.

 

I stared at it, silently wondering what happened that time. I was pretty sure that my father intended to write something on it. It was a strange diary, no dates, just notes with paired with chronological events.

 

What happened?

 

I placed the book in my bag and rushed out of the house, heading for my car. I drove as fast as I could and when I got home, I went looking for the person who can explain the thing that mystified me.

 

I found my father on the patio, sitting on a chair, holding a book and staring off into the horizon.

 

Is he missing her again?

 

He turned as he felt my presence and said, “Finished already?”

 

I took out the book from my bag and tossed it to him. He caught it and his eyes went wide when he recognized what it was.

 

“What happened on the eighth note?” I asked him, my voice faltering.

 

I already know how it ended.

 

The nameless girl on his diary was named Sandara Park.

 

She’s my mother.

 

I, Choi Jiyong, the son of Sandara Park and Choi Seunghyun got orphaned at a very young age when they both died in an accident. I was entrusted to their friend, the person who I now call Appa, the person who bears the same first name as me.

 

Kwon Jiyong.

 

Melancholy showed on his face as memories start to resurface.

 

I remember seeing him like that once. It was during my parents’ funeral. His eyes had the same haunted look when I told him what my name was and how I got it.

 

Was it remorse?

 

I just wanted to know what happened that day.

 

Because I felt that if something didn’t happen that day, I wouldn’t even exist.

 

He motioned me to sit on the chair across him. I did as I was asked and waited for him as he scribbled something on the red book. He handed it to me and I flipped it to the page where the ‘eighth note’ was.

 

May 17, 2012

 

“What’s this?” I said as I read the date. It didn’t do much help to me; it was even more ambiguous than the note itself.

 

He smiled and said as he gave me the other book he was holding. “That was when I found this.”

 

I reached for it; my hands were trembling with anticipation. I took a deep breath as I opened the book.

 

It was not a book.

 

It was another diary.

 

It was my mother’s diary.

 

There were no dates…

 

…just notes…

 

…notes that corresponded with certain events.

 



 

 

A/N:

 

Hi everyone!

 

Thanks for reading this story. Sorry if it took a long time for me to update.

 

It doesn’t make sense? Then please read my other fics ‘Wedding Bells’ and ‘Impossible to Forget’ because this is the sequel…I guess.

 

Anyways, I would like to thank the 35 subscribers who subbed even though it was just the description and foreword posted. I felt loved and I would like to let you know that you are loved.

 

=^-^=