version t w o

The End of Memories

 

I sleepily squirmed on my messy bed, ignoring my mother’s shouts to wake up and such. I was planning to give Myungja a visit—after weeks we almost lost contact. And I had no idea how that incident happened.

 

Myungja—Lee Myungja. She was the perfect portrayal of perfection. Why? Well, because she was beautiful, intelligent, and hardworking (yeah, for me). The only thing that tarnished her perfect image was this lucky bastard named Kim Myungsoo. He broke her heart after giving her too much meaningless hopes. Not that I hate him, he was actually a nice guy—but he was excessively nice that it made me sick.

 

Yes, I liked Myungja a lot. And I always endeavored to be the one she’d count on the most, since Myungsoo wasn’t there anymore for her. Did you know what Myungsoo did to her? He passed away because of his cancer ‘that his mother gave him’. That was a little too cliché to me but well, it happened to Myungja.

 

Got my point now? The point was: Myungsoo passed away and left Myungja by herself and her endless love for him.

 

Endless love—that was what I wanted from Myungja. But sadly, she’ll only love Myungsoo and I knew it, which was pathetic. I wanted to get her out of her whimsies about Kim Myungsoo and love me instead. After three years trying, I always failed and still failing. Did you ever think I was tired? No, I wasn’t. I won’t be tired or gave up to a dead person.

 

“Sungyeol!”

 

My thoughts soon interruptedwhen a loud voice called out for me. No need to ask, it was my mother. She was so naggy and annoying as hell but weirdly I still loved her. “Take a shower now because I’m not going to wait too long!”

 

I puffed my cheeks. Why did God gave me this kind of mother? Pity me, everyone, extremely okay. I pitied myself, too. Let’s just stop it right here.

 

“Wait for me, please, mom? I’ll be all set in few minutes!”

 

 

 

The ride was oddly quiet—when my mother in actual fact was a very talkative person that usually she’ll chatter about everything. But this time she was kind of… ungainly. I didn’t see my everyday chatty mother anymore.

 

“Mom, why are you so peaceful today?” I asked inquisitively yet softly, not wanting to offend her.

 

She just smiled. I didn’t smile back to her. Instead, I pouted and showed her my aegyo. You may call me a kid because I really was. A giant kid.

 

“Should I tell you?” My mother mysteriously wiggled her eyebrows.

 

I huffed in annoyance, “Of course!”

 

She just laughed at my childish reply and focused on the ride—when I actually knew that my voice was loud enough to distract her. I gave up with an endless pout. Something was up, I was so sure.

 

 

 

I blinked for few times. I still didn’t get it even I already tried hard to get the main idea. “What does this mean?” I mumbled, hoping none of the women I loved in the world would hear it.

 

Sure, I was happy to see the Lee Myungja hugged and smiled at me—which was unusual. What was this? An opposite day? My mother acted weird already, and now… Myungja… This was unbelievable and I didn’t want to believe this happened.

 

I didn’t want Myungja gave me the attention I had been looking for from her, but in the end, she was just giving me empty hopes. I didn’t want to hope anymore, but I also didn’t want to give up.

 

“I’ll leave you two, okay? Have fun!” My mother pulled Myungja into a hug and kissed my cheek before she left us. Only the both of us. It was too awkward for anyone to speak up, but then Myungja suddenly exclaimed, “Let’s go to our high school!”

 

I remembered our high school; it was a normal school with normal peoples. There weren’t any of those kingkas or queenkas thingy in our school. I would love to visit my high school again, but there was one problem, though.

 

It was the place where the very first memories of Myungsoo and Myungja were created. I hated it when she went all mushy because of the thought of Kim Myungsoo in her mind. I wanted to be the one who she had always been nattering about—not that Myungsoo guy.

 

I knew she loved Myungsoo a lot, but that didn’t mean she couldn’t look for any other guy, right? Only once, I wanted her to love me. I didn’t need her to love me on the next life; I only wanted to feel it now.

 

Without having any chance to reply, she pulled me by the arm. The high school wasn’t that far from her house, so we walked through all the way to the destination. It didn’t feel right, though. I couldn’t say anything even she talked everything and brought our past up.

 

I took some advantages by glancing at her. She wasn’t really pretty, I could say. But she was just effortlessly beautiful for me. Her slender eyes were breathtaking, her small nose was just right, and her plum lips were just as good.

 

“We’re here, Sungyeol,” I heard her call. I quickly looked away even she already noticed that I stared at her a little too fixedly.

 

I nodded and let her walk in front of me. I was too deep in thought that I didn’t know where we were. I just followed her footsteps—because I know by that way, I won’t get lost.

 

That was when a soft wave of piano playing rang through my ears. It was beautiful. It seems like that player was in a good mood. Should I check the music room out? It had been a while, and I was sure Myungja had no problems by it.

 

I slowly stepped into the music room, already forgotten about the thought of Myungja at the moment. The beauty of the music this pianist presented was irresistible. It was suffocating, yet calming at the same time. It was slow and mellifluous, but it could softly kill you with its extreme beauty. I closed my eyes, cherishing the moment.

 

“Who are you?” someone asked, who I thought supposed to be the pianist. I slowly opened my eyes, only to found a boy stood in front of me. He was good-looking—more like feminine looking.

 

“I’m Lee Sungyeol,” I answered and peeked on his nametag. Lee Sungjong, so that was his name. We talked, but not much since we were still strangers. Out of the blue, there was this menacing feeling. I wanted to ignore the sensation but it said that it related to Myungja.

 

“I got to go now. See you, Sungjong.” I waved to the younger and quickly ran to the direction she had passed. I had no time to explain to the students who were yelling at me, asking who I was. I gulped when I faced a door. It was maybe only a door for anyone else, but it was a hell door to me—the rooftop door. I didn’t wish to see any dreadful things once I’ve opened this door, but I should face every risk.

 

Before really turning the door handle, I took a deep breath. With my eyes closed, I pulled the heavy metal door slowly. I opened my eyes, only to see a standing Myungja with stretched arms. I thought she was only enjoying the soft breeze passed by, not until I heard her say,

 

“Let’s meet again, Myungsoo.”

 

My eyes widened in instant, running to her standing figure as fast as I could. I already spent a lot of time with her, I always liked her sweet smile, and I always loved everything about her. I didn’t want to let her go at all. I wanted to hug her, protecting her with my own arms until the death comes. It wasn’t over yet—I knew.

 

I grabbed her left arm as she let her body fell. She might be letting herself die, but it was not the same case for me. I knew I was selfish—but I loved her. I just needed her on my side.

 

“Myungja!” I shouted her name as I held her limp body in my arms. I tried my best to not let her go—even she did try to break free. “Lee Myungja!” I called out for her again.

 

This time, though, she looked up at me. Her eyes were empty—as if she was blind. “Sungyeol…” she whispered, rather too weakly. It seemed like her mental sickness spread through her whole body, wasn’t it? She looked fragile that she made me afraid to touch her. I didn’t want to break her just like what Myungsoo did to her.

 

“How can you do this?” I tsked, shaking my head in pure confusion. She looked normal and quite in good mood this morning, was this the reason? Was committing suicide the reason?

 

“I’m sorry…” she breathed out. I didn’t need her sorry, I wanted her answer. “I just missed Myungsoo quite a lot lately… I want to meet him, kiss him like there is no tomorrow.”

 

The answer indeed broke my already broken heart more, but at least she gave me answer. I knew she was lonely because I was also busy that I didn’t give her too much attention like I had always been. But still, this was wrong.

 

I pulled her into an embrace, trying to calm her down. She looked tired and dead, but I bet thousand things were running in her head. I combed her hair bit by bit.

 

I couldn’t hold this back even more—I should say the truth to her. She needed to know what was I had been hiding for all along.

 

“Lee Myungja, I love you, okay?”

 

Little did I know that she would gasp or either pull back, but she did nothing—she just stayed silent. I felt something curled up on my shoulder, but I wasn’t sure. She pulled back and looked up at me with a smile. “Okay, you love me.”

 

I sighed in relief that she didn’t say anything that hurt my feelings, or something related to refutation. I kissed her forehead for some seconds before I pulled back. Her smile didn’t fade at all, it just dangled there.

 

“Thanks, Sungyeol. I’ll try to love you, too.”


finally done. /sighs/
thanks to you people who already supported me through all of this.

oh, what do you think about both versions? i think they are so weird and awkward! but i still hope you enjoy it, though.
please, if you find some grammatical errors, don't blame kevin! blame me instead.

i think that's all.
this is the end of 'The End of Memories'. (lol it feels awkward)
see you at my other stories! ^^

PS: i won't be updating anything for a while because of midterm. maybe. D:

- kimionara