Prowess - Chapter 2

Prowess

"Yosh!! Kaori! Let's go in!" Rin thought. Kaori read her mind and nodded.

"Ahem!! People! People settle DOWN!! OR YOU'LL be standing at the hallway! QUIET!!!!!!" the teacher shouted and finally the market-like class quieted down. "Thank you. As you lots knew since last week, two new female students are going to enroll our school and INTO our class. So you boys don't try and pick on them. Got it!?"

"You two, you may enter," after the teacher said the word, the door slid open and two female students entered. One looked happy-go-lucky and another looked quite normal but she gave off a weird aura. Of course as usual, they have to introduce themselves.

"Amatsu Rin desu! Yoroshiku ne~!" the first one greeted gleefully. "Ah! And this is Sakuratsuki Kaori desu. She's actually quite shy now. Hehe," she continued.

The teacher laughed a little but oblivious to the students. "Okay. Amatsu-san, you may sit beside Masuda-san which is located near the window. Second from the back. And Sakuratsuki-san ... just behind Amatsu-san will be okay. Go ahead." They went and took their seats. Just after they have settled down, that Masuda guy introduced himself. 

"Doumo... Masuda Takahisa-desu," he articulated. Rin gave a smile as a reply. She had some weird feeling about that guy. Really weird....

Kring!! Kring!!!

"Oh well~ Stay quiet you lots and wait for your first teacher to come. Tegoshi, you're in charge!" the teacher said those few sentences and left. Usually, they would never listen to the teacher's orders but since Tegoshi was in charge, they sat quietly. The first teacher of the day entered. It's Saori-sensei, the biology teacher.

"Ah! Kaori~ Sensei is going to ask us to do a group project! Four members per group. You're in?" Rin turned to face Kaori to whisper in her ear. Kaori nodded with a smile and knew what to do next. She turned to both Tegoshi (he sat beside her) and Masuda. "Erm... would you like to join our group for the Biology project?"

The two boys were confused, at the same time-worried. They can only nod for now.

"Ohayo. Take out your notes on the Continuity of Life in Plants? And also, I’ve forgotten to mention last time. The Biology department had conducted a competition for the students. The participation of everyone is compulsory. Don't try to escape! 5 minutes to choose your members and the rest of the lesson is your planning! NOT CHATTING about nonsense!” the teacher said. Then the entire student went into an uproar. The teacher sighed and gave up. No matter how hard she tried to convince the students, it was always futile.

“How the heck we can do it? It’s plants! They’re green and give us oxygen! What else?” One of the students thought.

“*sigh* I guess we need help from the library for this. We don’t have much time!” another came into Rin’s mind.

“So… what topic are we going to choose then? Better ask them,” this thought, Kaori knew that it was from Tegoshi’s mind. Therefore, she immediately turned and told him that maybe they will choose topics about the survival of the plants and so on…

“Did she just read my-“ before Tegoshi could finish his line in his mind, Rin answered, “Yeap~ Are you scared? We can read your every thought.”

“Not really,” Masuda told Rin. Kaori smirked.

“Which means that at some point or part of you are scared. Wanting to know whether we can be trusted or not. Can we be friends or not and finish up the project. Am I correct?”

Masuda and Tegoshi were silenced. They were truly speechless! It is true! That at some point they wanted to know whether these two new girls can be trusted or not…

“So… Let’s start discussing. Since it’s about plants and its survival, we should really investigate about the birth of plants, the formation of plants from a single seed. Then its modifications, what kind of features it has to survive those extreme weathers… Got it? The rest we’ll add up something. And also, we should plant a tree itself here in the school! We’ll ask the teacher’s and school’s permission and monitor the progress. This MIGHT add up the points. We’re studying and caring for the environment,” explained Rin to her group members about what she wanted to do at the project.

Kaori then agreed and added, “Since, we had to hand in AFTER the holidays and if we plant it now… maybe it won’t be such a big tree… Ah! We can plant one in our own homes! Or better at one area that is not obvious to the public and only we know about that location. That will at least eliminate the problem of vandalism which might affect the growing process. It is okay?”

“Erm… Yeah… It’s okay. But the problem is… where can we find that specific location that is unknown to everyone?” asked Masuda. He thought the idea was okay but where can they find such location in such packed area here in the prefecture or city?

“... Ah! I know! There is one! Do you know the park that no one really goes to which is just a few miles from here and located near the river? Go further into the park and into the bushes. There’s another wide field inside and it was covered enough to be out of sight from the public. Maybe there… we can plant the seeds. Plus, it’s near the river. It will be quite a view and convenient,” Tegoshi suggested with full of smiles.

Rin, Masuda, and Kaori stared at him as if he said something out of the universe and then agreed to it definitely!

Why did I just told them about that area? The area that I love the most…