03/14/12: White Day

Dal Niente

A/N: Inspired by Jiyong with huge lollipops.


Today was White Day, a holiday mainly celebrated in Japan and Korea.  On Valentine’s Day, women gave chocolates to male friends, boyfriends, and husbands.  The love was usually returned a month later on March 14th with men bearing gifts to their ladies.  This year, YG was giving giant lollipops to members of their official fan club. 

Jiyong had gotten a handful of them and gave one to all his makeup artists and hair stylists.  Big Bang was preparing for an interview and a photo shoot for a magazine today and the female staff members seemed to be in good spirits as soon as they saw the big, rainbow candy. 

Since the release of their album, Big Bang had interviews, photo shoots, TV appearances, dance practices, meetings, and countless other things planned each and every day.  Their schedule was so hectic that Seungri had had to withdraw from school.  It had been a hard thing to give up, but it wasn’t like he had a choice in the matter since Big Bang was going to have a global tour in the near future.  He had already been put on academic probation a number of times for missing so many lectures. 

Since the news broke out, Seungri had been a bit more subdued and quiet.  Although he masked his feelings with jokes and grins, it didn’t take a genius to figure out that Seungri was a little down.  Despite Seungri’s efforts to appear cheerful, everyone noticed the subtle change in the maknae’s normally chipper demeanor. 

It was strange to see Seungri in such as brooding mood because he was usually hyperactive and had a childish mentality that rivaled Seunghyun’s.  Seungri often seemed like he was full of confidence and cockiness, but Jiyong knew deep down that it was just a ruse to cover his insecurities.  Once in a while, he had caught Seungri in a quiet and pensive state when he thought he was alone.  Jiyong had to admit that it was a little unnerving to see Seungri sit still for so long with such a solemn expression.  

In attempt to cheer him up, the team gave him a little extra attention.  They asked him to act cute, let him sit in the middle during interviews, let him answer a lot of the questions, and laughed loudly at all his jokes.  Nothing cheered Seungri up like being the center of attention.  He got to be at the bottom of the dog pile/“burger” and Jiyong even updated his me2day account with a photo of Seungri just to cheer the kid up.

In the past week, Jiyong had managed to recompose himself, or so he hoped.  Because of Seungri’s dour mood, Jiyong had managed to shove away his inappropriate infatuation and focused on being a good friend and leader.  Seungri needed a friend, not a lecher staring at his all the time.  It also helped that Seungri had stopped acting like a cocky flirt every waking minute. 

 

Coming back from the dressing room, Jiyong stopped in his tracks when he entered the waiting area and saw Daesung and Seungri sitting on the small couch.  Their heads were together as they talked in hushed tones.  As Daesung spoke, Seungri nodded sullenly and kept his gaze on the floor near his feet.  Seungri looked like he was sulking when Daesung reached down to pat his knee reassuringly. 

The two had overcome their awkwardness and had grown quite close to one another in the past year.  Rather than uncomfortable silence, they actually talked and joked around with each other.  They whispered, giggled, and even conspired to prank the older members.  It was nice to see them get along.  Now, their team was complete and unstoppable.

“Seungri, it’s your turn in the makeup chair,” Jiyong finally spoke up.  Both Daesung and Seungri looked up in surprise as Jiyong interrupted their conversation. 

“That was fast,” Seungri said as he hopped to his feet.

“Well, a perfect face doesn’t need a whole lot of make up,” Jiyong joked, garnering a chuckle from the other two.  “Hurry up, you’re the last one.  Youngbae is almost done.  Don’t keep us waiting.”

With a small smile, Jiyong waited for Seungri to brush by before approaching Daesung.  “What were you guys talking about?”  He asked curiously.

“Ah, you know.  Seungri’s trying to hide it, but I think he’s still feeling a little bummed out about having to leave school,” Daesung spoke and stretched in his seat. 

That had been Seungri’s chance at a semi-normal life.  Because YG was very close knit and rarely participated in social events with other organizations, Seungri loved going to school to make new friends.  He loved to hang out with them and date outside of the idol circle.  Seungri loved learning and testing out his abilities and everyone could see that he was enjoying the collegiate life.  He had wanted a degree badly, especially since he had skipped high school.  Unfortunately, he was labeled as an embarrassing college drop-out now.  A failure.

“I told him not to dwell on it too much, but you know how he is.  He doesn’t like giving up so he’s a little frustrated.  He said maybe he’ll go back to school while we’re doing our solo promotions after the tour.”  Daesung brushed his bleached bangs out of his eyes and looked up at Jiyong.  “I think you should talk to him,” he suggested.  “He needs to get out of his funk.”

Jiyong sighed and shifted uncomfortably.  “Youngbae is probably better fit for that.  He loves to baby the maknae.”

“Yes, but everyone knows Seungri values your opinion the most,” Daesung pointed out with a soft smile.  “He looks up to you.”

Jiyong hesitated, unsure of how to take that indirect compliment.  Was that what everyone thought?  If he were a good friend, he wouldn’t have been thinking such debase things about Seungri.  Good friends didn’t fantasize about each other.  He wouldn’t have been evading the maknae when they were alone in a room together or staring at the floor or the wall behind Seungri’s ear to avoid eye contact.  For a moment, Jiyong felt guilty because he had been a pretty ty friend the last few weeks. 

“All right.  I’ll talk to him later,” Jiyong agreed with slight reluctance.

“And I mean talk to him,” Daesung insisted.  “Don’t lecture him or .” 

Everyone knew that Jiyong loved to pick on Seungri because that was his way of showing affection.  Jiyong had always found Seungri’s reactions incredibly endearing and he loved how Seungri always laughed and pretended like it bothered him.  In reality, Seungri probably loved the attention, especially when it was coming from his leader.

Jiyong chewed on his lower lip and nodded.  Truth be told, he was never good at comforting people.  Daesung and Youngbae were good listeners and Seungri always knew the right things to say.  On the contrary, Jiyong liked to tease and talk about mindless, stupid things to distract the other person.  He liked to pretend like the problem was nonexistent and he gave the other person space and privacy to heal. 

But if Seungri needed his support, then Jiyong would do his best to be there for his friend.  It was the least he could do considering how much Seungri had been there him in the past.

 

That night, Jiyong came back to the dormitory after a long brainstorming session with Teddy in his recording studio.  His next solo album was going to drop in the fall and he was nowhere near close to completing it.  His lyrics needed some adjustment and the beats weren’t polished enough to his liking.  At this rate, Jiyong was going to have to work on it during their tour and he could already imagine what a terrible headache it was going to be.

Entering the dorm he shared with Seungri, Jiyong was surprised to find the younger man’s shoes in the hallway near the entrance.  Seungri was at home.  As he approached the living room, Jiyong found Seungri lying on the couch with Gaho by his side.  The dog had made himself at home, using Seungri’s stomach as a pillow.  Gaho seemed quite content with his new headrest and lazily beat his tail against the sofa as soon as he spotted Jiyong.

Glancing quickly at his friend, Jiyong pressed a finger to his lips to quiet Gaho as soon as he realized Seungri was actually asleep.  The TV was on and Jiyong recognized phrases here and there from a Japanese drama.  Seungri was probably watching these things again to brush up on his Japanese before their performances in Japan. 

Despite being the youngest member in the band, Seungri was an incredibly responsible adult and always prepared himself days in advance for their activities.  Of all the members, Seungri was probably the most studious and always tried learn ways to communicate with the crowd even if he couldn’t speak their language fluently.  He had a flair for languages and business.  Seungri took it upon himself to know their schedule and even got involved with planning and preparing things with their managers.  Compared to the numerous music groups in South Korea, Seungri was the best maknae any team could have asked for; smart, funny, talented, charming, and handsome to boot. 

It was okay to think that, right?  Jiyong wasn’t so sure anymore. 

Now that Seungri was actually quiet and still, Jiyong stared down at his friend and admired his features.  When Seungri was awake, he was like a restless kid, talking a mile a minute, bouncing off the walls, and keeping everyone around him energized as well.  Some people looked funny when they slept.  Jiyong was one of them, but Seungri looked gorgeous.

He had long, lush lashes and a high, dignified nose bridge.  He had a sharp jaw line and lips that begged to be kissed.  The rebellious piercings going down his outer ear only added to his attractiveness.  Despite the fact that Seungri wore loose sweat pants and a hoodie, Jiyong bit on his lower lip as his gaze slowly made its way down his friend’s built body. 

“Are you going to say something or are you just going to keep staring at me like a creepy stalker?”

Jiyong’s body went rigid and he swallowed back a girlish squeal when Seungri suddenly spoke up.

“Jesus Christ, you scared the hell out of me!  I thought you were sleeping!”  Jiyong clutched at his chest as the surge in adrenaline slowly started to dissipate.

Seungri cracked open his eyes and smirked up at him.  “I fell asleep watching TV, but I woke up when I heard you rustling at the door.  I didn’t know if you were going to come here or go straight to your room so I didn’t bother getting up.” 

“Oh,” Jiyong said and looked sheepish.  “Well, I guess I should leave you alone and let you get back to sleep.”

“No, it’s fine,” Seungri replied quickly as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes.  “I’m awake.”  Seungri sat up and swung his legs over the edge of the couch, displacing Gaho from his stomach.  “You’re home early.  I thought you’d be out much later.”

“I could say the same about you,” Jiyong countered and plopped down on the couch beside Seungri.  He smiled down at his dog and scratched its pudgy belly.  “Shouldn’t you be out on a date for White Day?”

Seungri chuckled and shook his head.  “I don’t have anyone.”

“You?  Mr. Playboy?  Why do I find that so hard to believe?”

Seungri gazed pointedly at Jiyong and replied, “I don’t think the one I want is interested.”

“What do you mean?”  Jiyong asked and stared down at Gaho.  “You haven’t asked her out?”  That wasn’t like him because Seungri was always blunt and to the point.  If he was interested in anyone, Seungri always confessed with an “I like you” and wanted an immediate response.  He would rather get rejected than waste his time pining away for weeks or months. 

Seungri hesitated, which Jiyong picked up immediately.  As leader and “older brother”, Jiyong had access to Seungri’s phone and computer so he always knew what was going on, but he didn’t have to snoop to find out.  Having grown close in the last five years, Seungri and Jiyong talked about girls, lovers’ spats, break ups, heart aches, and everything else under the sun.  There wasn’t anything Seungri could hide from him, especially since he was a terrible liar.

“It’s complicated,” Seungri finally answered and looked away with a frown.  “It’s a friendship I don’t want to risk losing.”

Jiyong nodded slowly and ignored the pang that suddenly struck his chest.  It was a deep, slow, and burning ache that hurt on multiple levels and made his heart feel heavy.  Jiyong had always been fully aware of prior girlfriends, but why did it hurt do much to thinking about Seungri longing for someone now?

“Well, since you don’t have a date…”  Jiyong fished in his pocket and drew out a large, rainbow lollipop; the ones he had snagged earlier that day.  “Here.”  He held it out for Seungri, who blinked at it dumbly.

“First of all,” Seungri said slowly as he eyed the lollipop.  “It’s midnight, so technically you missed White Day.  Secondly, I’m not a girl.”

“Yes, I know that,” Jiyong replied and rolled his eyes.  He waved the lollipop in Seungri’s direction again.  “Do you want it or not?  I’m just going to throw it away if you don’t want it.”

“That makes it so much more valuable to me,” the younger man responded wryly.  “I’ll take it.”  Seungri reached over for the candy and twirled it between his fingers.  “It’s really big.  I don’t think this is even meant to be eaten.  I can’t believe I’m getting leftovers for White Day.” 

“Well, if you don’t really want it, give it back,” Jiyong said and held his hand out.

Seungri clutched the lollipop to his chest protectively in case Jiyong made a grab for it.  “No, I want it.  No one’s ever given me a White Day present before.  It makes me feel pretty.”

They both burst into laughter at the statement, but Jiyong forced himself to sober up quickly because something Seungri said had stuck to him like an annoying burr.

“Complicated or not, I can’t believe you’d have a hard time charming a person.  Plus, you’re from Big Bang.  Who could say ‘no’?  Do you need a wing man?” Jiyong suggested, fighting with himself internally as he said it.  But even if Jiyong’s feelings were still jumbled, that didn’t stop him from being a good friend.  At the end of the day, Seungri was someone he held close to his heart and someone he wanted to help.

“Thanks, but no.  It wouldn’t work.”  Seungri looked at Jiyong with an amused expression.  “You see, I’m from Big Bang, but I’m probably the least popular one.  People would automatically say ‘yes’ to you or Seunghyun-hyung, but I actually get turned down once in a while.  You wouldn’t know what it’s like though, since you’re the infamous G-Dragon.”

It took a minute for Jiyong to absorb what Seungri had said and he suddenly felt a spike of anger strike, but it wasn’t directed at Seungri.  How dare anyone think less of Seungri?  He knew Seungri’s sense of humor was self-deprecating, but Jiyong didn’t like it when the kid put himself down, especially in light of recent events.

“Don’t say that,” Jiyong said firmly.  “Don’t say that about yourself.” 

Surprised by the reaction, Seungri blinked at him rapidly a few times.  Jiyong tucked a leg under himself and turned toward Seungri so they could talk face-to-face. 

“It’s not a popularity contest.  what everyone else thinks about you and just keep doing what you do best.  You are amazing and we are lucky to have someone like you in Big Bang.  You’re the piece of the puzzle that connects us all together.  You’re the harmony.”  Jiyong wasn’t sure where these words were coming from, but they tumbled out naturally and he believed every single one of his own words.   “Anyone who doesn’t like you, doesn’t like us because you complete us, Seungri.” 

When they were trainees, they had started off on the wrong foot and Seungri had come off as a total brat.  Jiyong got along with Hyunseung better and preferred to dote and cling onto Daesung instead.  When both Hyunseung and Seungri had been cut from the team before their debut, Jiyong had been sad at the loss, but he had cried over Hyunseung with Seungri being more of an afterthought.

It took months for Seungri and Jiyong to warm up to each other.  He learned that Seungri wasn’t a brat, but a cute mischief maker.  Their maknae was highly intelligent and witty, always working hard to make his hyungs laugh and finding ways to ease their stress.  It got to a point where Jiyong became overly fond of Seungri, hugging him, teasing him, and adoring him all the time.  Seungri was his go-to person when he needed a laugh and Seungri’s shoulder was a perfect place to rest his head on when he was tired and weary.

As time passed, Seungri had become one of the most essential people in Jiyong’s life.

Seungri slowly broke into a big smile that melted Jiyong’s heart.  “Thank you.”

Jiyong felt his face grow warm and he waved off Seungri’s appreciation.  “I’m just tired of seeing you mope around the last few days.  You are smart and funny.  You can sing and you’re a handsome punk.”  He watched as Seungri’s grin grew wider, loving the compliments.  “You really have no idea how truly wonderful you are.  Any girl would be stupid to turn you down.”

Seungri tilted his head and regarded Jiyong carefully.  “So if you were a girl, you’d want to date me?  Is that what you’re trying to say?”  

Wait, what? 

Jiyong’s smile froze as he contemplated the idea.  Date Seungri?  Jiyong was attracted to the younger man, but that was it as far as he was concerned.  It was purely physical.  Jiyong stared at Seungri and felt an uncomfortable, fluttering sensation in the pit of his stomach.  It was all types of wrong.

Jiyong must have looked like he swallowed a fly because Seungri laughed at his reaction. 

“Idiot,”  Jiyong muttered.  He snapped out of it and reached over to flick Seungri’s forehead playfully, eliciting more laughter from the younger man.  “I was trying to have a serious moment and you totally ruined it.”

Seungri’s laughs quickly died down and he looked away.  “I know you were.  I know what you’re trying to do.  Everyone’s been babying me this week.”

Seungri rested his head on Jiyong’s shoulder and let out a deep breath as Jiyong automatically wrapped an arm around him.  Jiyong let his knuckles run up and down the length of Seungri’s arm, a slow, languid, and comforting movement that completely relaxed the younger man in a minute.

“I don’t need you guys to coddle me, you know,” Seungri insisted, murmuring against Jiyong’s shoulder.  “I’m fine.  Really.”

“You have been recluse lately,” Jiyong pointed out.

“So have you,” Seungri shot back. 

Jiyong cleared his throat.  Yes, he’d been avoiding Seungri, but for good reason.  “I’ve had a lot on my mind.  Trying to come up with lyrics and all that.”

Seungri smirked.  “Maybe you need to get into another relationship to get inspired again.”

“Maybe.”  But it wasn’t going to be with Seungri.  That was for sure.

Eventually, his hand stilled on Seungri’s arm. 

“Seungri,” Jiyong spoke quietly.  “I know the whole withdrawing from school thing bothers you.  You have high standards for yourself.”

Seungri remained still and stared absently at the TV instead.

“I think you underestimate yourself.  You have an academy.  You practically produced your solo album on your own and you won the Triple Crown on M! Countdown with it.  You’ve got amazing talking skills and you’re so damn smart.  I bet you could run circles around every other maknae.”

Jiyong gave Seungri’s arm a little squeeze.  “You’re a savvy business man, Mr. Lee.  You can be a CEO without finishing school.  If I could, I’d put all my money on you and I know you’d return with twice as much if not more.”

“You always say that,” Seungri claimed.

“Because it’s true,” Jiyong reaffirmed.  “Do you remember when we used to talk about our future?  All those plans we made?”

“About how we’d start our own record label some day?”

“Mhmm…”  Jiyong rested his chin atop Seungri’s head and held his friend close.  “G-Ri label.  You know I could never be a CEO.  I don’t have the mind for that.  I just want to be a producer and make music every day when I’m old.  You know more about networking and garnering business.  That’s why we’d work out so well.”

This time, Seungri chuckled softly.  “We’re going to have to come up with a better name if we actually do that.  ‘G-Ri’ doesn’t roll off the tongue that well.”

“You see?  You have a knack for business.”

“You really mean it?”  Seungri lifted his head from Jiyong’s shoulder just enough so their gazes could meet and they almost bumped noses as he did so.  “You still think about us working together in the future?”

“Seungri, call me when you’re ready.”

That caused Seungri to snort.  “You say that, but I better not get forwarded to your voicemail like I always do.”

“We live together and talk all day already!”  Jiyong defended himself.  When Seungri raised an eyebrow, Jiyong let out an exasperated sigh.  “Call me.  I’ll be waiting.”

Seungri seemed satisfied with the answer and smiled warmly.  His entire face lit up as he stared back at Jiyong and he looked entirely pleased with his leader’s reassurance. 

Suddenly, Jiyong became keenly aware of how close they were, practically cuddling on the couch with their faces a few inches apart.  The room grew quiet with the exception of the white noise from the TV.  Gaho had passed out long ago at the other end of the couch.

Jiyong could feel the warmth of Seungri’s firm body against his own and Seungri’s hand had settled naturally on Jiyong’s thigh.  If he just tipped his head forward a little…

Seungri blinked slowly at him and his mouth parted slightly.  What would it feel like to kiss Seungri?  Jiyong’s own lips tingled slightly as he imagined how soft and warm Seungri’s mouth would feel against his own.  Was Seungri a good kisser?  Would he moan and react sensitively to every touch?  Would Seungri slip his tongue into Jiyong’s mouth to tease and coax Jiyong to go further? 

Jiyong’s fingers itched to cup the back of Seungri’s neck and pull him in for a kiss, but he clenched his hand into a fist instead.  Even as his heart beat started to race, Jiyong let out a slow, unsteady breath and fought the urge to lean in and close the gap between them.  He pursed his lips and drew on all his willpower to turn away.

As much as he wanted it, Jiyong knew better than to give into that yearning.  He already treaded on thin ice when he kissed Seungri on the cheek or temple.  God knows how Seungri would react if Jiyong crawled onto his lap and kissed him fervently until they were out of breath.  Jiyong wasn’t sure what he’d do if Seungri shoved him off and shouted in him in disgust.  Probably crawl into a desolate cave and die.  It wasn’t something Jiyong wanted to risk and find out.

“I think…”  Jiyong paused, unsure of how to break the tension.  “I think I should go to bed,” he ended lamely.  “Tomorrow is a big day.  We’ve got the M! Countdown Comeback Special tomorrow.  Get some rest.  Don’t show up with darker circles under your eyes.”  He reached over to ruffle Seungri’s short hair in order to distract himself. 

Seungri made an undignified sound and tried to shake off Jiyong’s hand.  “I’ll go to sleep as soon as this episode finishes,” Seungri promised, nodding toward the drama still playing on the TV.  When Jiyong stood up and stretched, Seungri added, “And thanks… for the talk.”  He smiled up at Jiyong and looked a little embarrassed.

Jiyong nodded and smiled back before heading to his room.  He threw himself on the bed and buried his head under a pillow to muffle the sounds of his frustration.  It seemed as though Seungri was going to be a-okay.  Too bad Jiyong couldn’t say the same about himself.

 

 


A/N2: Sorry it took me forever to get this chapter out.  Thank you so much for your comments and for not unsubscribing T_T  I wanted to get this out for my birthday (but it was yesterday so I missed my deadline, haha) .  I had the worst cast of writer's block and eventually rewrote the entire chapter.  Speaking of which, why does every chapter seem to get longer and longer?  These were supposed to be drabbles -_-;  Anyway, I can't wait to write the next chapter.  It's what inspired this story in the first place.  I'M SO EXCITED.  /rubs hands together evilly.