Chapter 1

In Perfect Harmony

 

Kwon Jiyong's POV: 

 

Sweat trickled down pass my cheeks as I continued to perfect the routine movements that matched the throbbing bass and addictive beat of a song I myself had composed. As I danced, I watched my reflection not wanting any mistakes. Especially for my debut stage, the choreography for this song was intense as it needed precision and ends with a back flip. At first, I was reluctant to do the back flip, but disagreeing to it means risking my debut stage.

Too long. I have trained and waited way too long for my solo debut. Every day I wake up, rush to the dance studio and train hard. I yearn for the day my CEO of YG Entertainment, Mr. Yang, calls me to his office to discuss about my debut. But that has never happened. For as long as I've trained, he has done nothing but sit at the corner and watch me train for 5 minutes, not more, not less. It's heartbreaking, to see him walk in, sit, and leave without any comments or hints about my mistakes or my debut. But not this year. This year I shall stand proud on stage, confident in capturing the world’s attention with my talent.

 

Turn your heads towards me,

Don’t you dare blink and miss,

‘Cause for sure I’m not ordinary,

Full of style you can’t resist!

 

Positioning myself for the final move, I counted mentally for my cue. With all my might, I pushed myself off the ground and concentrated on landing safely. But suddenly, a man barged into the dance room, making me lose my focus. Everything happened so quickly. At one moment, I was flipping midair, keen on finishing the back flip perfectly. But then, the next moment, I just lost my focus and fell. I crashed onto the hard wood floor of the dance studio, stupid enough to use my right arm as to break the fall. The harsh impact surged through the right side of my body but most of the pain came from my right arm. I groaned from the stabbing pain as the man came running towards me.

 

“Jiyong! Are you-,” he started but I cut him off by screaming at him. Taken aback, the man stepped away from me.

“Are you an idiot?!” was all I managed to say. I bit my lip in agony to suppress the blinding pain that existed in my arm and continued to groan.

"Come on, we'll get you to the hospital," I felt the man’s hands trying to help me get up but I kicked him away. I yelled, "You idiot! Get lost!"

All I could think of is what would happen if I couldn’t use my left arm anymore. Terrifying thoughts poisoned my mind as I failed to regain optimism. I used my right arm to do everything. Everything. Judging from the huge amount of pain I was experiencing, I doubt it could ever function the same way again. The man tried coaxing me to get up and walk to his car but I shut my eyes. I felt scared. Scared that my arm was truly broken and that I couldn't debut.

 

   ♦♦♦

 

After almost an hour of coaxing, the man, or better known as my manager, finally got me up to his car. I had to limp but the pain from my leg couldn't be compared to the one that existed in my arm. I winced and bit my lip as the nurses wrapped my arm. When they were done and I had put on the triangular sling to support my arm, I sat across the doctor with my manager.

"Mr. Lee, based on the tests done on Mr. Kwon's arm a while ago, I can confirm that it's broken. The fall has fractured his arm. I'm afraid you can't move your arm unless you take therapy," said the doctor to my manager. It's the end of the world isn't it? This is it. The doctor continued, "To get your arm moving again, you'll need at least a year of therapy."

Another whole year of waiting? I thought. At first I couldn't digest the current situation, but it caught up to me. Anger boiled through my veins and I stood up so fast, the chair I sat on fell backwards. I clenched my right fist, glaring at my manager before leaving the room. Tears threatened to fall as one question kept coming back to me, Will I ever get to debut?

 

   ♦♦♦