01

Best gift for Tao

 

Waking up the next day, 1pm was something unexpected of you. You found yourself on your study table, sitting on a chair and your head on the table. You sat up, your back were tired, you stretched your arms as high as you could and moved your head around to ease the pain on your neck.

 

‘What am I doing here?’ you thought.

You looked around trying to figure out what you were doing sleeping there and not on the bed, there was no school, it was summer after all, you still looked at your desk blankly and saw your phone and that’s when you realized what you’ve been doing the night before.

 

You were on the phone, talking to tao, you made sure that when the clock strikes to 12 am, you will be the one to greet him first. And that happened, when you called, he answered with his sleepy voice, irritated at who called.

 

Flashback

“Aish who is this? It’s 12am! Geez” tao said

You giggled “it’s me you kung fu panda!” you said.

 

There was a pause, you heard some noise of the bed, you were sure he was sitting up.

“Sorry, I thought it was someone else, but c’mon mina, why would you call this late? Are you having a fight with someone again?” tao asked

“I have to tell you something” you sang happily

 

Tao smiled, he could actually see you smiling with your tone
“What is it you little fish?” tao asked

“Hey I’m not a fish” you said and pouted

“Yeah you are! I bet you’re pouting right this very second” tao said.

 

With that you blinked and giggled “whatever”

“So what’re you going to say to a sleeping guy?” tao asked.

“Hmmm. Happy birthday kung fu panda!!” you said cheerfully

 

Tao blinked. He looked at the calendar on his desk and smiled
“Wow~ you know what, you’re the first one who greeted me, I don’t even know it’s my birthday, I forgot”

“Of course I remember! Why would I forget? It’s the birthday of my favorite panda~” you sang once again.

“Thanks mina~ you’re the best… forever and ever and ever and ever” tao said.

 

You laughed “so what’re your plans?” you asked him.

 

The conversation went on and on until you were just murmuring something and then went to dream land while tao was listening to your even and calm breathing, after some time, he too cannot take the weight on his eyes.

END OF FLASHBACK

 

Thinking about it, you smiled. You looked at your mobile phone and scrolled down the history of your calls, and there you saw how long it took before the called ended by its own. Your eyes widened and a gasp escaped your mouth, you were sure it would show on your phone bill next month.

You just let it passed by for now and stood up to take a bath. You were thinking of what to do for tao.

What would a best friend do for the birthday of her number 1 guy on earth? (Of course, excluding your father)

Plan a surprise party? That’s cool!

Buy him a cool gift no one would ever think of? That’s pretty awesome!

 

What if… you just greeted him with just a simple ‘Happy birthday tao’ and spend time with him … would that be memorable for him?

 

If you called everyone for a surprise party, it would be a failure, it was too short notice.

If you bought him a gift, it would be too late if you give it to him, it’ll take a whole day for you to find something unique. You slapped yourself, why didn’t you try finding one a day before?

 

Then there’s the last choice, to spend time with him. That was too simple but you shrugged it away, whatever, as long as you do something for him, you don’t want his birthday to pass by without you doing anything.

 

With that, you continued to get ready and when done, you walked out of your house, telling your mom you were seeing tao, she smiled and told you to have fun and take care.