Chapter 3 ~ Collaborating Partners

Eclipse

~Samantha Krede~

The week passes quickly. Yours and Eclipse's schedules seem full. Photoshoots, interviews, fan signings, shopping, writing, composing, meetings. There's no break, not even for the coming weekend. Jared wants firm ideas for your album concepts by Monday; he needs to meet with the President of Cube and give him the information of your plans.

You sit with Cassie for lunch in your dressing room. Mel and Hanna are off on their own schedules, and it's nice to have time with Cassie alone. It's been hard to talk with just her ever since debut. You remember back at the times you and her were in high school and sharing a dorm together. You two would talk about everything all the time.
"So how are you and John?" you ask her.
Cassie has a boyfriend still in the states. She had lived in Texas and met her boyfriend John when they were both young. Both transfered over to the private LA school in California. She and him were still dating, and seemed absolutely perfect for each other. 
Mel had had a boyfriend back there as well, but he had broken up with her and found a new girl close to their debut. It was a hard time for her, but she had Eclipse to depend on; unlike you did, when you went through trouble with your boyfriend. You had your boyfriend when you were just sixteen in LA. You thought he was perfect, and he meant everything to you. Through hard times with your family, you went to him to be comforted. As times went on, he got worse and worse until you couldn't take it anymore. The break up was bad, and bad timing. You only had Cassie by your side to help you then.
"We're good." she nods.
"Is it hard? Being away?"
"Yeah. But you know, we do alright. We keep in touch everyday just by leaving messages for the other. It's not so hard... just... sad sometimes. But it works just fine. I'm sure we'll be okay. And then we'll return home after our stuff here."
You nod. That seems far away. You're not sure how you feel about returning home. Here... you're away from all the stress of what was at home... but you're also away from a lot of the people you love.
"Hey," Cassie looks over to you, "Didn't JunHyung say he had a radio show today?"
"Oh! Yeah at noon! What time is it?" you hurry up and get to the radio.
"A little past noon." Cassie says carefully.
"." you turn on the radio and sit back down with her.
Sure enough, the program is still going on. You hear the announcers voice.
"So, can you show us any upcoming songs?" he's asking about Beast's upcoming album.
"Hm... i can't release any of those songs yet." JunHyung replies. At the sound of his voice, you can't help but smile. "But there is one song that i can sing for you." he says.
"Really? That would be great!"
"Okay."
You can hear the sound of him getting up. He's probably on his way to the mic. The sound of music starts to play and JunHyung goes along with it. You sit up straighter as you recognize the song. You've heard this before... you don't know it well but you remember.
"This is 'Be My Love.'" you say.
"What song?" Cassie asks.
"'Be My Love' by... the Quiett or something. He showed this to me earlier this week."
"Oh." she smiles.
"What?" you ask, seeing her playfullness in her eyes.
"It's nothing." she hides her laughter.
"No really, what?"
"It's just... he has a really nice voice."
You strain to listen. She's right. He's a rapper and this song is not rap. It's easy flowing. Almost contemporary. "Come to me, baby, be my love" he sings. You smile and nod.
"He has a great voice." you say.
Cassie smiles bigger.
"What?" you laugh.
"Don't you think that perhaps... perhaps he wanted you to hear him sing this song?" her smile spreads to her eyes with the hidden meaning.
You look away from her and back to the radio. Want me to hear this song? Could it be possible he wanted me to hear this song? What was it he had said to me earlier? We talked about...about writing my music. What did he say i should write about?  "Struggles, triumphs, defeats...love." Love. That must be it! JunHyung wanted me to hear this song about love... does he want to collab on a song with me? You smile at the thought. JunHyung wants to collaborate on a song with you.
"What are you smiling at?" Cassie asks knowingly.
"I think i know who i want to collab with." you smile.
"Really?" she looks to the radio and back to you. "With Yong JunHyung? The Joker in your music?"
"What do you think?"
"Hm." she looks up and brings her finger to her chin as she thinks. Then her lips spread into a smile. "I like it!"
"Ha, i do too!" you laugh.
Suddenly you feel happy. Warm and just happy. 

JunHyung's song comes to an end and the program continues a little longer before closing. You get up and head to the door.
"Where are you going?" Cassie asks.
"I want to find Jared and tell him that i want to collaborate with JunHyung."
"Shouldn't you look for JunHyung and ask him first?"
"Hm, maybe. But Jared said to come to him with any ideas... so i'll look for him first."
"I'm coming with you!" she hops up off the couch and comes to your side. 
You two leave the dressing rooms and head to the elevators. You press the button and stand back to wait.
"Where is he right now anyways?" you ask Cassie.
"I'm not exactly sure. I think he mentioned going out for coffee, but he'll probably be on his way back by now."
"So should we head to the lobby?"
"Yeah we might as well."
The elevator doors open and you two go to enter. You stop short when you see Hanna and Melanie in the same elevator. They're surprised to see you as well as they both stop and their eyes widen.
"Oh!" Hanna exclaims, "Where are you two going?"
"To find Jared." Cassie answers as she enters.
Mel and Hanna move over to let you in but don't leave.
"Why?" Mel asks.
"I want to talk to him about the possibility of collaborating with JunHyung on my album." you answer.
"Really?" Hanna smiles. "Two rappers... that could be interesting!"
"We'll go with you!" Mel adds.
You smile and hit the button to the lobby. You all walk out and search the crowd for Jared. Some fans are inside the Cube store and screech when they see you as they take pictures. Cassie's good with fan service and smiles and waves back. Hanna also gives them a happy and genuine greeting. 
"Yah, where is that man?" you mumble as you look around the lobby.
The security down here is strong today. A lot of guards block the entrances and even come to your group of singers and camera crew. You and Eclipse start to go down the left staircase to the main lobby area as you search for Jared. You look across the way and notice Beast coming down the right staircase. KiKwang looks over at you at the same moment that you recognize them.
"Yah, Eclipse!" he shouts as he points over to you girls.
"Hey, it's Eclipse!" YoSeob shouts playfully. "I'm a big fan!" he screams and gets laughs out of the people below.
You, Mel, Hanna, and Cassie laugh as you descend. Beast goes down at the same speed and you all meet up in the middle of the lobby. Fans from the stores are going crazy with pictures and yelling. More guards come in to block them from you guys.

You make your way to Junhyung and smile as he squeezes past people and stands in front of you.
"Did you hear my program?" he asks with a smile.
"Yeah, i just did!" you answer happily.
"Did you hear the song?"
"Yes, it was beautiful. i didn't know you could sing so well, honestly." you blush a little.
He smiles warmly. "Yah, there's a lot you don't know. I have good music talent."
You laugh. "Yes, i know. I shouldn't have ever doubted. Hey i was just looking for Jared but actually since you're here, i wanted to talk to you about my album." you feel your face warm. Will he say yes? Could you have misunderstood his meaning of you hearing him sing that song?
His smile widens and gives you more hope. 

"Sam! Samantha, there you are!" you hear Jared call to you from somewhere in the crowd.
You turn around and search for him.
"Jared?" you call back.
"Sam, i have good news for you!" Jared pushes past some people and takes ahold of your elbow.
"Oh, what's the rush?" you mumble as he tugs on you.
"Come meet with me for a moment. I have great news!" he starts to pull you out of the crowd.
"Oh! Ah! JunHyung-ah, i will talk with you later!" you shout back as Jared yanks you out of the crowd.
He pulls you back up the staircase and down the hall.
"Really," you pant, "What's with this urgency? Where are we going?"
"Somewhere where there's no press." he answers as he brings you to the end of the hall by the windows.
Down below you can see the green grass around the Cube building. The sun is out now and after the rainfall from days ago, everything looks fresh and new.
"What?" you ask as you pull your arm away from him. You don't like it when people handle you in such ways. You rub your arm cautiously.
"Ah, uh sorry about that." Jared mumbles. Then in a louder voice, "I have a special opportunity for you!"
"Really? What?" you feel more excited now. 
"I've just recieved a request for you to collab on your next album with a very popular star here in Korea!"
"Really?! Who?!" you beam.
"What would you say to doing an album with... GDragon?" he smiles.
"GDragon?" you say to yourself as you think about it. "Kwon Ji Yong? From BigBang?"
"Do you know any others?"
"No." you know about GDragon. You know his popularity is high and also that he is a genius in composing music. His voice is nice and unique as well. But his style? "Isn 't he quite arrogant?" you ask.
"I mean he has a stage presence, who doesn't? You seem scary on stage as well."
"True."
"The thing is, he heard your last interview this week and became interested in your music. You know BigBang's music right?"
"Well, i honestly don't know much. I know Haru Haru, Tell Me Goodbye, Beautiful Hangover, and Stupid Liar. I like them all a lot."
"I suppose you would have to research them more for this then. Especially GDragon's solo album. It's still a big hit. Anyways, there's a catch to working wtih him."
"Oh yeah? What's that?" you ask.
"He's requested a mutual album. Meaning he wants it to be half yours and half his. He says he would like to meet and talk to you about this but i think it sounds like a nice idea. I know the President of Cube is weird with collaborating outside of his entertainment, but i think he would make an exception for GDragon's music. But of course this is your decision. I promised you an album all of your own. If you want that more, we can tell Ji Yong not to collab on this one."
"No... no just let me think." you stand there for a moment and look outside. "He's really well known..."
"The most well known." Jared adds.
"He's a great composer."
"One of the best."
"He's a good singer."
"Exceptional stage presence."
"This would be good for me..."
"I think so."
"Then... i think... i think you can tell him that we can meet. We can talk about this more and see what his plans are." you say hesitantly.
Jared smiles. "I'll arrange it as soon as i can."

He takes you back up to the dressing rooms. Everyone else has gathered around inside already and are chatting with each other. When you walk in, they calm down a bit and turn towards you. You glance around the room but you don't see JunHyung or Yoseob.
Just as you are about to ask where JunHyung has gone off to, he and Yoseob come in right behind you.
"Look what i found outside!" JunHyung exclaims as he pushes a pray mantis into your face.
"Oh, cool." you smile as you move your face back to avoid the bug touching your nose.
A scream lets out throughout the room and people scramble away from you two. Dongwoon rushes to the other side of the room in fury.
"JunHyung, you take that back!" he demands. "How can you bring a bug in here?"
JunHyung chuckles and pretends to go towards Dongwoon which results in him screaming and cowering against the wall. Mel moves away as well and Cassie just laughs as watches. Hanna smiles unsuredly but keeps her distance as well. DuJun walks up confidently to see JunHyung's precious find.
"Wah, look at the legs." DuJun observes as he points.
JunHyung smiles as pushes it towards him. "Yes, look at them." he laughs as DuJun jumps back and pushes his hand away.
"Yah, stop that." DuJun reprimands him.
JunHyung chuckles as looks back at the bug. He glances up to you and walks towards you.
"Yah, Sam, look at this big bug i found!" he smiles cruely.
"I see it, it's a pray mantis." you state as you stand your ground.
JunHyung comes quickly and s the bug into your face. You hardly move back and the insect's legs brush your nose.
"Yah!" you scream as you push his hand away. "Don't do that!"
"Oh!" JunHyung exclaims as he pulls it away. He laughs with wide eyes, "Why didn't you move?"
"I wasn't expecting you to actually put it on me!" you laugh.
"I wasn't expecting you to not be afraid!" he laughs harder.
"Why would i be afraid of bugs?"
"You're a girl." he shrugs as he walks back towards the door.
"Sam unnie is fearless!" Hanna chimes and you wink at her.
"It's true." you smile.
JunHyung looks at you questioningly and then rolls his eyes. "Sure sure." he says.
"No really, Sam's never scared." Mel adds. "She always wants to watch scary movies with Cassie because Hanna and i won't watch with them."
"I watch them too." Hanna whines. "i just get scared."
You all laugh as JunHyung walks back towards the door. "I'll get rid of it, then." he says.
"Oh don't kill it!" Mel cries.
JunHyung stops and turns around. He walks towards her with a smile. "Do you want it then?" he jokes.
Mel backs away quickly. "N-no..." she stumbles.
Junhyung laughs and goes to leave again.
"At least take it outside!" Mel calls to him. "Those are on the endangered list! Oh, Sam, where did you and Jared go to by the way?"
"Oh right, great news!" Jared exclaims first.
JunHyung stops at the door and turns to hear.
"Well..." you try hesitantly to stop him.
"Sam has been requested to collaborate with BigBang's GDragon on her next album!" he blurts out.
Everyone is queit for a single moment before jumping up with shouts of congratulations.
"GDragon!"
"How great!
"Wow, daebak! Congrats!"
"He's the best!"
"Your album is going to be the best out there!"
"What did he say?"
"Did you meet him?"
"Wait wait," you smile and try to calm them down. You get caught up in all the excitement and commotion and begin to feel happy about it all as well. "No i haven't met him, i haven't even spoken to him! Jared talked to him..." you point towards Jared.
"Yah, Sam, i know Ji Yong well, i can help you too." HyunSeung offers.
"Oh thanks, HyunSeung." you laugh back.
"So, Jared, what did he say?" Mel asks as she jumps onto the couch and settles in for a good story.
Jared is beaming ear to ear. He seems truly proud of you and for a moment, you are proud of yourself; for what, you're not really sure. Everyone seems happy for you though, so working alongside this GDragon must be a great thing.
"Well," Jared starts into his story, "I was out to get coffee when my phone starts to ring and i look down and i can't recognize the number. I usually don't answer but i was curious so i picked it up. And on the other end he says, 'Hello, this is Kwon Ji Yong from YG Entertainment,' and my eyes must have nearly exploded. I almost dropped my drink!" 
You look over to JunHyung. He's leaning up against the far wall with that bug still in his hand.
"But anyways," Jared continues, "I introduced myself and then GDragon says that he heard Sam and Eclipse on the radio from their last interview and he was really interested. He looked you girls up and liked your work. He thought Sam's style could match well with his and since you are all working on albums he's requested to work with Sam. Turns out he had thoughts about another album for himself but wasn't ready to make it a full. So he wants to go half and half with Sam here. He said that she could be featured in some of his songs and he could be featured in some of hers, and then of course both would have solos as well. He even said she and him could compose the music together and all!"
You glance to JunHyung and he looks up at you. He quickly looks away and shrugs off the wall. Without making eye contact with anyone he moves towards the door. "I'm going to take the bug out then..." he mumbles on his way.
You turn to go with him when Jared calls to you. "Oh and Sam there's more!"
You watch JunHyung dissappear down the hall and then turn back to your group. You smile and walk in and to Jared's side. He throws his arm around you and continues on with his story.