A New Life

Coward

Rrrrrrrrriiiiiiiinnnnngggg! Rrrrrrriiiiinnnnggg! Rrrrrrrrriiiiiiiinnnnnnngggg!

Aaaarrrgggghhhh! Where is it?
Sandara Park thought as she rummaged her bag as she was rushing towards the bus stop to catch her ride to work. Saying she was stressed was an understatement. And it was only 8 in the morning. Aha! Here it is! She thought triumphantly as she located her phone. Drat. Another missed call. She quickly flipped her phone open and saw her younger brother’s name on the list, and suddenly felt her heart sink.

He’s probably bothering Sang Hyun again, she thought sadly.

A few months ago…

“Noona,” a frustrated Sang Hyun pleaded with his sister, “can you PLEASE, just talk to Ji Yong hyung? I’m honestly going out of my mind.”

“Sang Hyunnie…” Dara said with a sigh, “you know why I can’t. He’s gonna get tired of hounding you, don’t worry. Can’t you just tell him I just want to live in peace as a normal person?”

“It’s been 3 years, noona,” he said. “And he’s been calling me almost everyday asking me about your whereabouts, so I don’t think he’s gonna get tired of it. You know how stubborn he is. I even changed my number thrice already. And Rain hyung is threatening to contact President YG because he is close to filing a restraining order against Ji Yong hyung.”

“Then let him,” she said stubbornly, “so Ji Yong can quit bothering you.”

“Whatever you say, noona,” Sang Hyun sighed. “I just hope you know what you’re doing.”


Dara sighed as she remembered her last conversation with her brother. It’s been three years since she left her home country, her career and HIM… she literally gave up everything so she can start a new life and live in peace, but he won’t let her… or rather, he won’t let her brother rest and in turn poor Sang Hyun won’t let her rest. Aish, she thought annoyingly, I thought I left all the drama when I left Korea.

She was so lost in her thoughts that she almost dropped her phone when it rang again.

“Anneyong?” she said, not bothering to check the caller ID.

“SANDY!” a frantic voice screamed on the other line, “I NEED YOUR HELP! AS IN RIGHT NOW! WHERE ARE YOU ANYWAY?”

Dara couldn’t help but smile when she realized who it was, “Calm down, Mel. Take a deep breath… you calm now? Ok, so what could possibly happen that is making you panic in such an early hour?”

“I HAVE AN ASSIGNMENT TODAY AS IN RIGHT NOW BUT I OVERSLEPT LAST NIGHT AND I MISSED MY FLIGHT SO NOW I’M STUCK, CAN YOU COVER ME PLEASE, SANDS? I’LL OWE YOU MY LIFE, I PROMISE,” Mel said in one breath.

“Fine, but you owe me lunch for a month,” she said chuckling.

“Whew. You are a lifesaver, Sands!” Mel said before hanging up the phone.

Bird-brained Mel… Dara thought, chuckling to herself. Though disorganized and panicky, she was glad she found a really good friend here. Mel was her only colleague who didn’t shy away from her when she was just a clueless girl from Korea, in fact, she helped her a lot: with her new job, her house, adjusting to a totally new life… in fact, they became so close that Dara trusted her enough to tell Mel about her past--her status as a celebrity back home, and she was totally cool about it. She was like a best friend to her now. Best friend, Dara sighed. Truth be told, Dara missed home a lot. She missed her best friends--the 2NE1 girls and her best guy buddy Seung Hyun, her family--the YG family and her biological family…and Ji Yong. But she already promised to herself when she left 3 years ago that she won’t ever look back. So apart from her biological family, she didn’t keep in contact with anyone.

These were her thoughts when she stepped into the familiar glass building where she has been working for the past 3 years.

“Good morning, Ms. Sandy,” her secretary greeted her as she handed her a cup of coffee and a thick binder, “Ms. Mel called that you will be doing her assignment today, the team is waiting for you inside.”

“Thanks,” she said as she proceeded through the doors, where she saw her whole staff rushing to and fro... Looks like I'm not the only one stressed out this morning, she thought. “Hey,” she said in her most authoritative voice to get everyone’s attention, “aren’t you guys done setting up yet?”

“Just a few minor light changes, Ms. Sandy,” their lighting director said, “The talents are with wardrobe.”

“Alright, but please pick up the pace, guys,” she turned to her photographer, “Pete, are you done with the test shots yet? Can I see them? Mel didn’t brief me about the concept, so…”

“NOONA?!” an oh-so familiar voice interrupted from behind her.

Dara froze. I know that voice, she thought. She slowly turned and what she saw made her drop her morning coffee in surprise.

Dara turned and with eyes wide in shock, she dropped her coffee to the floor.

It was the ghost (or rather ghosts) of her past coming back to haunt her.

--------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hope you guys like it. Looking forward to your comments! :)