Chapter 1

Secret Friends

 

It was another long day for her. She placed her car keys on the coffee table and continued walking towards her room, sitting in front of a desk. As if nine hours of working wasn’t enough. But things had to get done and she could only count on herself.

 

What else is new… she thought.

 

She heaved a heavy sigh and her laptop. As always, she opened several tabs on her browser, opening various social networking sites and checking if any of her friends were online.

 

This was her only escape. The only time that she can spend for herself. It’s always been this way since she entered the university.

 

You have no one else to blame. You want to be busy, there you go. Always busy. She nagged herself, waving her head a bit.

 

Going through her list of friends, she smiled seeing how happy they were with their lives. Going out with friends, enjoying their work, falling deeply in love with their partners.

 

Another unnoticed sigh escaped from her lips, thinking, when will it be me? When will I ever fall deeply in love?

 

A popping sound could be heard as an instant message popped up on her current tab.

 

You’re home late. Said the message.

 

She smiled, feeling as if the weight on her shoulders were lifted. She placed her fingers on the familiar keys and softly typed a reply.

 

Yeah. I had to work overtime today. So much stuff to finish for work. How was your day? Did you have fun?

 

She clicked on a different tab, checking on her emails. Work, work, junk, work, chain letter, work, junk, junk. She thought, clicking on the junk ones and deleting them without a second thought. She quickly jumped back on the previous tab as soon as she heard another pop.

 

Hmm, same old. Work, work, work. Just like you. She made a disapproving noise but nonetheless smiled and typed a reply.

 

At least you love and enjoy what you do. She retorted.

 

And you don’t? Why do you stay with your job? Came the reply.

 

“Touché.” She whispered under her breath, thinking of a good reply but before she could even find the right words, he sent another message.

 

I love my job. I love being an entertainer but you know how difficult it can get.

 

No, I really don’t know. She wanted to reply but stopped herself.

 

You’re a great person and everyone loves you for who you are. That’s why you’re well loved after everything that happened. I replied to him.

 

Thanks. Is that why you love me? She was caught off guard with his response that she just froze and stared.

 

She continued staring at the screen, wondering what he was thinking. Wondering why he asked such a thing. She conjured up a smile, nonetheless and came up with a reply.

 

Of course. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.

 

She held her breath and waited for a reply. Wanting to know what he’s gonna say next.

 

Thanks. I love you too.

 

It has been said by him many times over but her heart still skips a beat whenever he would say it.

 

“And this is the reason why I’m still single.” She told herself haughtily and laughed.

 

The rest of the night was spent with small sweet conversations with him that she didn’t even notice time running by. The folders she brought home from work was left untouched, forgetting that she things to finish for a presentation by the morning.

 

I need to go. Going to record some new songs. He said proudly.

 

That’s great! I need to finish some reports for a presentation tomorrow. Wish me luck!

 

Hahaha! Good luck! Sleep well, I love you.

 

There he goes again. She thought. Have fun with recording Jay, I love you too.

 

“No one will ever believe this is true.” She whispered, closing out of browser and opening a word file. “And once again, I’m gonna stay up late because of Jay Park.”



 

Author's Note: 

italicized = her thoughts

bold + italicized = their conversations.