Part IV

The Corner Store

Sehun knew it was probably strange how he would go to the convenience store and just look around then leave without buying anything, but he was only taking every chance he had. His evil aunt saw that his leg was in pain so walking was a struggle for him, but still that was not enough for her; hitting him didn’t do her enough justice. Making him run errands for her every day and seeing him wincing while limping brought her much joy.

 

Since his aunt also knew that he couldn’t walk that fast, Sehun used this to his advantage and stopped by the convenience store every day. He would limp inside, limp around the store, then limp out. Just seeing the bright and colorful chips and candies was enough to make him feel slightly better. He didn’t have the urge to steal anymore. The only thing he wished was that he had some money on him.

 

As the days went by and his leg got better and better, Sehun would spend a little more time at the convenience store, and take his time looking at the candies and chips. He would later lie to his aunt that there was an accident on the road and he had to take another route home, or there was a long line at the market, or some other fabricated excuse and hope that she would believe him.

 

Today was just like any other day. His aunt woke him up around seven and told him to sweep and mop the house, then feed her dog. But to his surprise, she also handed him a few won and said, “After you feed him this time, he won’t have anymore food. I need you to go buy him a new bag.”

 

She didn’t tell me whereto go, Sehun thought to himself. Excited to finally be able to buy something from the convenience store, as soon as his aunt left, he immediately got to work. He swept and mopped the house as fast as he could and poured the dog its food in its bowl, then zipped out of the house with the money in his pocket.

 

To Sehun’s surprise, the convenience store was closed. The lights were off and when he tried the door, it was locked. Sehun kicked at the dirt. He had rushed here for nothing. He was about to turn around and head to the market instead, but a thought occurred to him. Maybe the family hadn’t come out yet. He should sit down here and wait for a bit. Sehun settled down on the sidewalk outside the store to wait.

 

Sehun waited so long, he didn’t even know when he drifted off to sleep. When he jerked awake because he felt like he was falling, he saw a little girl sitting next to him on the sidewalk. “Who-wha-who are you?” he demanded to know as he scooted away from her.

 

The little girl was eating from a bag of chips, and popped another chip into before answering him with a question of her own. “Who are you?” she asked with full. Sehun’s brows knitted. She looked to be about five years old; she had quite an attitude for her age. Sehun was about to put her in her place, but quickly stopped himself. He was going to try asking her for a chip.

 

Instead of telling her his name, he smoothly changed the subject. “Do you know when this store opens? I’ve been waiting for awhile now.”

 

The little girl shook her head. “I don’t know.” She took out two chips and placed both in to look like a beak. Sehun laughed. The little girl turned to look at him and tried to smile with the chips in . She loudly chewed them, then held out the bag of chips to him and asked, “Would you like some?”

 

Sehun had never felt more relieved. He hadn’t even had to ask her, because she had just asked him! “Thanks,” he replied, trying to hide his excitement. He put a hand in the bag and took out a chip. He slowly lifted it toward his mouth and took a small bite. The chip was salty but flavorful and left him craving more. He chewed his second bite a bit slower than his first to savor the taste.

 

He finished the chip and, feeling braver now, asked the little girl, “Do you think I could have another one?”

 

The little girl was her fingers and before she could answer him a woman called out to her and she immediately got up and ran off, as if she hadn’t heard him.

 

Sehun felt rejected. He was happy he finally got to eat a chip for the first time in his life, but now he wanted more. There wasn’t any way he could get another bag of chips; the only money he had on him was what his aunt had given him to buy dog food.

 

Suddenly a pair of jean-cladded legs appeared in front of Sehun, along with a bag of chips. Sehun looked up and saw the boy from the convenience store holding out the bag towards him. His expression was unreadable. “Here, take it,” he said to a confused Sehun.

 

Sehun wasn’t sure if the boy was serious or playing with him. He had stolen from the convenience store before, so why would the boy be nice to him? Since he wasn’t making a move, the boy gently dropped the bag of chips on Sehun’s lap, and walked back into the store. Sehun quickly stood up and tried to give the bag back to the boy, but the boy just waved his hand and said, “Eat it,” letting the door close behind him.

 

Dumbfounded, Sehun stood on the sidewalk and stared at the bag of chips in his hand.

---

Finally, an update! Once again, sorry for the long wait, guys~ I hope you all are still reading and haven't given up on this story, hehe. Thank you for stopping by, and comments are very appreciated! ^_^

P.S. If any of you are wondering, the little girl isn't going to be another character in this story. xD