Dunya

Earthly Secrets

 

iv. dunya

 

Sooyoung was raised to believe in a Supreme Being but not in the existence of a supernatural world. She was not ignorant of the lore and superstitions yet she wasn't exactly versed to remember, much more accept, the reality of such things. Like how she was fascinated with the thought of life in other planets and the idea of Life after Death, she acknowledged the possibility but they remain as they were - mere possibilities. Hence, it was not entirely surprising that her first few seconds in a place her perceptive mind has automatically referred to as other-worldly were spent with her jaw hanging open.

She was in the middle of a place filled with activity. What she first thought were black robes worn by people were actually tinted fabric which swirled and changed colors as they move with the wind. Also, the people did not look like people at all.

She felt go dry. Her feet moved on its own, forcing her to take a step backward, until she felt her body collide against something. With breath held, she turned around and faced that which she crashed into.

The first thing she noticed was that he looked just like her and nothing like the creatures garbed with enchanted clothes. He was tall; her head barely reaching his ears. His features looked like it was carved with the careful hands of an artist. He was handsome. Yet at that moment, his handsome face was straight and stoic as he touched the part of his arm she has accidentally hit. His brows creased as he threw a look at her direction. She hung her head and opened to mutter her apologies when the man turned his back on her and moved on.

She stared blankly at his retreating back when she realized one thing: the man was wearing the same outfit as the intruder she was chasing a while ago. An imaginary light bulb lit up inside her head. She moved her feet and limped behind the man. She kept close distance as they passed through throngs of people. Or were they to be considered such? Sooyoung thought as she spied on a couple holding hands; a green-haired girl with gray, pupil-less eyes and a fairly-featured boy who had ears the size of flower petals and a wild mane of indigo-black hair cascading down his shoulders. She noted that they, albeit having bodies fairly resembling the typical human, were different. They have pigmented skins and unorthodox facial features. The females, she assumed from the size of their faces, were relatively tiny - the tallest of whom she had seen were still a foot shorter than she is. The males, on the other hand, were either a few inches taller than the females or even leggier than the white-robed man she was following.

Am I still on Earth?

Her hand automatically covered when she felt someone or something crash into her. She looked down and she saw what she believed was a small child. His skin was covered with short green hairs and the little black blotches on his face made it look like he dumped his face in a bowl of black pepper. His eyes weren't pupil-less as the others but they were big orbs of dirty yellow; like that of a spoiled egg yolk. The child stepped back, looked at her direction, and then scratched his head afterward. He gave a look which resembled that of a confused human child and then ran off the opposite direction as if he never collided with anything in the first place. Her jaw dropped. He remembered the reaction of the man she had collided with not too long ago. She looked at her surroundings and noticed how nobody, not even the bunch of children playing on the street, took notice of her presence. She bit her bottom lip as a mischievous thought crossed her mind.

She walked as fast as her limping feet could carry closer to the man he was following. She took a quick look at her surroundings before casually tugging the man's cloak. Her face broke into a smile when the man stopped in his tracks and turned around to face her. A look of annoyance crossed his face but it faded as quickly as it went. He looked around him, gaze landing on the group of youngsters running after each other, before he continued walking.

Her face lit up with the realization. These people, or whatever they might be, cannot see her. A warm surge of inexplicable emotion rose on her chest. The thought that she was invisible sent ten thousand thoughts running in her mind; the next bolder than the last. She was cooking up the tenth practical joke she'd play on Tiffany when she noticed that she was now alone with the man. They were walking on what seemed to be a wooded area and there were no other-worldly creatures in sight. The weariness of the long trip was finally felt by her legs. She was about to stop when her eyes caught sight of a huge white building ahead of them. It stood glimmering under the light of the moon, like a solemn pharos, in the middle of the dark woods.

She was limping closely behind the man's back when she noticed a figure standing at the huge oak doors of the building. The figure stepped from the shadows into the moonlight and she smirked when he saw the stark look of fear envelope his fair features as their eyes met.

 

 


“Kris?”

He heard Changmin's voice call unto him but it sounded hollow and seemed to come from the deepest chasms of his consciousness.

“Kris?” Changmin repeated and he was brought back down to earth. He felt the coldness that swept his entire body when the older Whisperer looked at her direction but the coldness gave away into a mixture of relief and surprise when his senior looked back at him again.

“K-khaka.” His bow was accompanied by his stuttering. The taller one acknowledged his delayed greeting before speaking again. “Is there a problem?”

His gaze moved from the curious expression on the face of his senior to the smirking face of the girl behind him. Changmin looked behind him again and with eyebrows furrowed, asked him. “Is there someone behind me that I cannot see?”

He felt something lodge in his throat but he didn't fail to catch the nervous look that swept over the girl's face as well. He swallowed the lump in his throat before answering. “Y-your cloak, Khaka. It's tousled.” He alibied; his eyes landing on the untidy cloth draping over Changmin's shoulders.

“Ah,” Changmin took a look at his shoulders. “I did feel someone tug at it a while ago.” He paused. “Maybe it was some of those young Djinns playing in the street.”

He fixed his rumpled cloak before he addressed him again. “Where's Nana?”

“Having supper.” Kris strode swiftly beside Changmin. He ignored the girl who looked as if she's waiting for him to approach her. “Let's go inside, Khaka.”

The taller man nodded. “I have something to tell-”

He never had the chance to finish his statement. They hadn't even reached the low stairs yet when Kris thought he heard a swooshing sound followed by a soft thump. He turned around immediately and saw the girl with both her hands on ; her eyes wide open in astonishment. Kris' gaze fell on her slender shadow ending right before him and his eyes traced it towards her feet which were bare of any footwear.

On the corner of his eye, he saw her slipper land beneath the fruit-laden pear tree on his left. He was about to open his mouth and speak when he felt Changmin kneel down to pick something.

“A twig.”

The taller man looked up to see a pear tree branch swaying vigorously in the wind. “Strange. It felt as if someone threw it from my back.”

He said nothing afterward and simply walked towards the entry doors of the Cloister. He was already at the topmost step when he noticed that his Ahree wasn't following him. Instead, the young Whisperer was still standing at the spot near the peach tree; his back facing him.

“Kris.”

“Khaka,” Kris spoke but her kept his glare fixed on a seemingly petrified Sooyoung. “I think I forgot to do something. I will come up once I'm done with it.”

Changmin said nothing. After which, he nodded his head as if on understanding, turned his back and went inside the huge building.

 

 


“What do you want?” Kris' voice cut through the silent breathing of the night.

“I didn't mean it. My aim failed. The slipper is supposed to hit you.” The blaming eyes of the white-robed boy in front of her made her feel uneasy that the words left before she knew it.

The wind blew and she felt the hair on her back stand up. She was still standing in the courtyard exchanging glares with the boy who was the reason why she ended up in that strange place.

He was still looking intently at her.

“Why are you here? What do you want?” he repeated.

Like the gushing waters from a broken dam, the questions burbled in her mind. She didn't even know why she was there. Where on earth is she, anyway? Who is this demanding stranger who acts like he's some royalty she had to attend to? What is he doing in her room and why did he run? She surprised herself with the steady voice that escaped .

“Answers.”

He didn't expect her reply, Sooyoung was sure of it. His eyes traced her outline once more and she suddenly the need to cover herself. She was still wearing the same sleeveless shirt and short which fell right above her mid-thigh, unraveling the liveliness of the moon on her bare skin. A look of amusement and admiration sparked in his eyes and Sooyoung felt that she could almost read his mind. 

The thought that I chased him with such scanty clothing gave him an impression that I am someone who was desperately in need of the answers.  She didn't understand how the thought popped inside her mind but it gave her a strong confidence boost.

“I want answers.” She said yet again.

The look of amusement in Kris' eyes disappeared and was replaced by something which looked like confusion. His gaze hardened again and Sooyoung could almost hear the stubborn words that she was half sure he would say. 


“I said-”
“I'll give you the answers you need,” He cut her off in her sentence, “if you also give me mine.”


 

 

Changmin pushed the handle of the dainty cup, twirling the tableware on its spot. The porcelain cup was too small for his large hands that its honey-colored contents spilled from the chink at its rim. A faint smile appeared on his face as he remembered the day his mother gave it to him. It was the middle of winter. The season was cold yet their modest hut was warm from the numerous candles lighting the room. Winter, the season of his birth. He knew nothing else of that time except that Erin told him that it has been five years since he graced her life and filled it with happiness.

He was still immersed looking at the thing when Nana entered the dining room.

“Khaka.” The female Whisperer bowed her head before walking towards the sink.

“Nana,” he called unto her, “take a seat.”

The girl finished wiping her hands first before settling herself on a chair opposite his.


“This is your twentieth year, isn't it?” he said; his attention still on the half-filled cup on the table.
“Yes, Khaka.” If she was confused, it was not shown on her face. She silently let her attention fall on the cup the male Whisperer was playing at.
“You are brave. Skilled. Well-respected by your Ahrees.” He stopped prodding the poor cup and finally looked at the girl. “I was reminded of that which you asked me two years back.”

Nana looked up and met his eyes. parted for a while before she managed to close it.

“Khaka,” She heaved out the huge breath she unintentionally held all the while he was talking. “I have forgotten about that dauntless thought.” She looked down on her knees and her voice fell into an almost whisper. “I tried forgetting everything ever since Jinki-” Changmin could not see her face with her head hung low but he could sense her incoming tears.

“Jinki had an honorable death, Nana.” He said simply. “He died protecting Dunya.

The girl wiped her eyes with the back of her hand before looking up at Changmin.

“It's just that he was the one who is so excited about the Final Trial, Khaka.” Her beautiful face carved into a sad smile. “He was the most enthusiastic of us, you see. Even if he knew that not everyone can have the chance to take it. He was the one who asked me to seek your recommendation about it.”

A comfortable silence hung in the air.

“And when he was gone...” She made no effort to hide the new set of tears welling behind her lids. “XiuMin fought for that dream of his.” Her tears flowed uninterruptedly against her pale skin. “And... and XiuMin...” The rest of her sentence was drowned in hiccups.

Changmin took out a handkerchief from his pocket and handed it to her.

“XiuMin was stubborn,” Changmin said simply, “but he had a good heart.”

He let her dry her tears first before continuing.

“Nana Ahree, I want to inform you that Bhafa has enlisted me for Yilmu.”

The girl immediately stopped crying.  He was surprised when Nana stood up suddenly, held the earthly pendant hanging on her neck, and bowed in front of him. The stone glowed a bright shade of orange before it went back to its usual green color.

“Khaka, I yearn for your success in this trial and may danger and misfortune stray away from your path.”

He said nothing. Nana thought she saw the faint gleam of happiness in his eyes but it faded away when she took a second look. “Thank you, Nana.” He set down the cup and stood up as well. “You need not wish on your Terrene Rock but I am grateful just the same.”

“Khaka, to use the Rock for something like this is an honor.” She was smiling widely and then the tears started forming again. “If only Jinki and XiuMin were alive to witness someone they know go through the Final Trial...” she wiped them hastily and tried to put up her best smile. “Maybe you can give us tips about how it goes.”

Changmin cocked his head as if to convey his amusement for the statement. “If I succeed, I will.”

“Does Kris know about this already?”

“I cannot be sure. I was about to inform him but,” he paused as he remembered what had transpired in the courtyard, “he seemed preoccupied.”

At this, Nana's smile faltered a bit. “I noticed that too, Khaka. Maybe he had a bad day.” She wrinkled her nose as she tried to stifle an incoming yawn but failed to do so.

A small smile which faded just as quickly as it came crossed Changmin's lips. “You're sleepy.”

“I-I guess so.” Nana's cheeks turned crimson.

The tall man took the cup from the table and set it at the sink. Nana immediately went forward but the man stopped him. “It's okay.” He took a scoop of water from the earthen jar and poured it on a metal basin. “You can go to bed.”

She hung her head abashedly, took another bow, and silently left the room.

The clear water felt cool against his skin. He washed his treasured cup carefully before setting it on the glass rack. He went out of the dining room and walked towards the direction of the Cloister Hall. The silver strands of the pale white moon slanted as it went through the glass windows and the great oak doors were still open letting a flood of moonlight in. He stepped into the deserted courtyard and felt the cool evening breeze touch his skin. He passed by the pear tree when a flash of color caught the corner of his eye.

Changmin halted and his brows raised in confusion when he realized what he had seen.

 

 


“Wait, I'm confused. Can you repeat it, please?”

Kris blinked as he looked at her guilty face. “Which part?”

A stretch of silence followed before she bowed her head and said in a barely audible voice. “Everything.”

She prepared herself for possible strings of profanities from the boy who had been talking all the while they were walking on the footpath. Instead, he heard him took a deep breath before proceeding.

“You are in Dunya. The Realm of the Djinns. It's like a parallel universe to your world. Djinns are those creatures you have seen a while ago. They are one of the ancient sentient creations in the world created along with Humans. As Humans are made from clay, Djinns are created from fire. Like Humans, they are given free will to live decently in Dunya. Still, there are some bullheaded Djinns who cross dimensions going to your world. They are seen in your world as fairies, mermaids, dwarves, elves, or any other grotesque inhuman creation. The supernatural folk, as you Humans call them. They look different than what they originally look like here when they go to your world because they get distorted as they cross through the portals.”

He paused to catch his breath before moving on.

“It is not advised for Djinns and Humans to cross each other's worlds. This is the reason why you have your world to live on and we have ours. There are unexpected times when Djinns and Humans meet,” he paused and looked reluctant to continue his speech. Sooyoung gave him a look telling him to continue so he took a deep breath and rattled on. “and they fall in love.”

The girl tried to stifle a laugh when she saw him cringe.

“Though most of the time, it's the Djinns who gets entrapped in this strange emotion. Humans are, obviously, of the fairer kind. The unity of Djinns and Humans gave rise to the Whisperers.” He gave her a look. “That's what I am. We are born with the mortal form of our Human parents yet our abilities and traits are far from being human.” He stressed the last four words. “It is for this reason why we live in Dunya. Unlike Djinns, we have the ability to go in and out of the portals without getting our appearance distorted or having our abilities limited. As a responsibility and to give purpose to our existence, we are tasked to bring omens to people-”

“You decide whether you want something bad to happen to us, right?”

“Wrong.” He kept his eyes straight ahead. “Everything is destined. We are merely messengers. And because we are the bridge between the Djinn and the Human, it is our responsibility to maintain balance between-”

“How does imbalance happen?” She butted in, arming the statement with a sweet smile to which Kris returned with a baleful glare.

“When a creature gets into a world the creature is not allowed to go to.” He gave her a meaningful look and continued when she shut .

“Creations gifted with will are usually stubborn. They are subject to temptation and are easily swayed. They are interested with things they do not know and they do not have business meddling with.” He paused for a dramatic effect. “Djinns are fascinated with Humans and they usually lure your kind here. You see, Djinns cannot last for a long time in your world unless they take over a mortal's body.”

“They possess humans?”
“They take over the mortal's body.” He repeated as if he didn't hear her speak.
“Take over and possession are the same.” she replied snootily. “I thought demons are those who do possession.”
“Demons and some Djinns.”

She was silent as she tried to digest everything the Whisperer said.

“Back to what I was previously saying before you kept on interrupting me, it is our responsibility to send omens. Humans, maybe because they were created from clay, are creatures who rely mostly on palpable things. They do not have the ability to transcend into the metaphysical world. They have no ability to sense that which is not covered by their senses. This is why we need to spoon-feed you with supernatural realizations.” He stopped and added bitterly. “But even if we do, some are still hard-headed.”

Sooyoung noticed it but didn't press on.

“When you saw me in your room,” he paused and she thought she saw a trace of pink on his cheeks as the moon shone over it, “it was supposed to fix a mistake. Apparently, the mistake grew larger.” He eyed her seriously.

“What mistake?”

“It's a long and complicated story which I do not have plans of telling you.”

“I take it that the mistake is my whole being.” She didn't notice him flinch. “You don't have to worry about being blunt.” She puffed her cheeks. It was silent for a while before she spoke again.

“Umm... You said something about Djinns luring people...” she let the words hang in mid-air before softly adding, “What happens afterward?”

She saw Kris' lips curl into a malicious smile.

“Humans who get lured are under the control of the Djinn who brought them in. Sometimes, they are freed from the spell. They are allowed to go back to their world and they forget everything that happened. At times, they never return. They stay here until they grow old. Everything that reminds them of the Human world are erased from their memories and they start to look and act like Djinns.”

She gulped loudly making Kris smirk at her direction.

“B-but that won't happen to me, right?” She gave a laugh but Kris heard the blatant nervousness in her voice. “B-because you're not a Djinn.”

“It can happen to you, Human.” She looked at her with an evil gleam in his eyes. “If you don't answer my questions.”

The girl fell silent as if contemplating on her answer. “Fine. But can we please take a rest first? I'm tired.”

Sooyoung thought that they were now of a great distance from where they first came from. They have been walking for ages and the clumps of trees in the woods have started thinning already. She was amazed on how she managed to went that far despite her limping.

“We're almost at the river. You can rest there.”
“River?”

She did not hear him answer her. A huge plate that is the moon welcomed them as they stepped out of the woods. Her jaw hung involuntarily as she took in the view of a rolling meadow on the other side of a glimmering river.

She ran towards the water as if she was not limping to begin with. Her feet dragged her to the shallow bank and she let out a moan of pleasure as she felt the cool water seep between her toes. She stood on the river for a few seconds, too immersed on her thoughts, before remembering how she got there in the first place. She looked back to check whether the white-garbed stranger was still there.

“Are you done?” He had his arms crossed on top of his chest as he gave her a venomous glare.

She watched him walk towards the open meadow and took a seat on the grassy slope. He patted the space beside him and moved his head as if telling her to come near. Sooyoung walked timidly towards him and plopped herself on the grass.

“What was your question again?”

He did not answer and instead pulled her arm towards him. He traced his finger on her skin as if he was looking for something. Her eyes widened when he pushed her hair away from her nape, his breath fanning over her exposed neck. His hands had already made its way on her shirt, fingers trailing towards the hem, when she gave him a mighty shove.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!” She wrapped her arms around her body in panic.

He looked at him with his lips pursed tight. Sooyoung wasn't sure if it was merely the light of the moon but she thought his cheek turned crimson. The boy diverted his look on the other side of the river and said almost inaudibly.

“I don't get it. Why don't you have a Mark?”
“Mark? What Mark?”

His lips were parted when he looked back at her.

“What are you?”
“Excuse me?”
“What are you?” he repeated. “Are you a Seer? But even Seers have the Mark. What are you?”

The girl looked annoyed. “I am Human, obviously.” She snapped at him. “And what the hell is a Seer?”

“Seers,” he looked dazzled as he spoke. “are Humans who have the ability to see what is yet to be. Some of them are gifted with clairvoyance and some,” he touched her shoulder. “can sense our presence. You, have it ever occurred to you that you can foresee events before they happen?”

“No.” She pushed his hand away from her shoulder. “But my friend Tiffany-”
“Tiffany?”
“Tiffany usually gets premoni-” She threw him a menacing look
when she remembered something. “Were you in our University this morning? Was that you and your bunch?”
Kris nodded upon realizing. “The girl who lost her mother.” He didn't continue yet his eyes showed the answer.

Sooyoung was speechless as well to which Kris grabbed the chance to ask yet another question.

“If you aren't Seer, how come you can see me?”
“I can see you all. You are the one who can't see me.” She muttered nonchalantly making the boy looked more confused than ever.
 “Why can't the others see you? Why am I the only one who can see you?”

 

The girl shrugged her shoulders.
 

Their eyes met and Kris tried in vain to search a flicker of guilt in her eyes - something which might say that she was lying - but all he saw was his confused and clueless expression reflected in her dark orbs.

“You really don't know?” he asked with a defeated tone.

She said nothing and simply looked at him helplessly.

The night had grown deeper and his frustration grew along with it. Kris was not amused that he had basically divulged all necessary information about Dunya to the Human girl and yet he was still practically clueless about what was happening. He thought of threatening her at first but it looked like she wasn't the type to succumb to any threat so he dropped the idea right after he thought of it. The only thing he has understood of what was happening was that she can see him right after he gave her a Rustle and that she was oddly invisible to all inhabitants of Dunya except for him.

The evening was silent; as if in respect to the young Whisperer who was immersed in his deepest thoughts as he tried to make sense of everything. The comforting hum of the river and the familiar breathing of the night did nothing to pacify the chaos inside his head.

In the midst of the silence under the light of the moon, Sooyoung finally had time to observe the boy's features. If she were to judge, she thought that he was just around her age. Perhaps, younger than her. His hair was a dirty shade of blonde. It was styled in a manner that reminded Sooyoung of those cartoon characters with spiky hair. She assumed it might be the chase, for some strands of his hair were already hanging limply against his forehead. She tried to locate the stab of fear she felt the moment she first saw him on her room yet it wasn't there anymore. The fear faded into curiosity which then blossomed into understanding. She did not have any idea how it happened but observing this creature, with eyes staring into immeasurable distances and face smeared with permanent anxiety, something tugged her heartstrings. Despite all his efforts not to, he looked every bit humane. It wasn't only his physical form but the emotions, something that was acquainted with Humans, swarming him as of the moment. She was still staring intently at him when he turned to look at her.

 

She immediately looked up and unceremoniously complimented the evening sky.

“T-This place is beautiful.” She stuttered as she tried to avoid his gaze. Just then, the wind blew and a shiver ran up her spine. She folded her legs closer towards her body and remembered that she was still wearing skimpy clothes.

She raised her head when she felt something warm envelope her.  She was too surprised to react that she can only blink. Kris took no notice and sat back down, his lithe form evident without the cloak draped around him.

Their eyes met once more; to which the boy immediately dropped his gaze to her feet.

“You're bleeding.”
“Huh?”
“You're bleeding.” He repeated but Sooyoung lost the will to answer as he took out a handkerchief and tended her wounded toe.

“I-I stepped on a broken glass a while ago when I was,” she bit her lip before continuing, “chasing you.”

He said nothing and instead took out the pendant hanging on his neck and pressed the green stone against her skin. He muttered a string of incomprehensible words which Sooyoung thought sounded like incantations spoken in a strange tongue. She grimaced when she felt a hot surge of pain on her foot making her grip his cloak tighter around her body.

She blinked disbelievingly when she saw the laceration close up as if there had never been any wound at all. The Whisperer looked contented as he put his pendant back on.

“T-thanks.”

“Don't bleed in front of me again.” He said cryptically before shifting his attention on the evening sky. Another round of silence enveloped them. The silence was starting to get awkward, she thought.

“I-I still don't know your name.”

Kris raised his head when he heard her speak. His brows creased when she repeated the statement.

“I said I still don't know your name.”

He was about to open his mouth when the colors drained out of his face. He moved in a speed Sooyoung never saw anyone move as he yanked his cloak away from her body.

“Tao!”

“Tao?” Sooyoung echoed yet she clamped shut when she realized that it was not the Whisperer's reply to her statement. She watched in awe as she saw a figure slither from behind the trees and step out into the moonlit meadow.

The Djinn appeared taller in the light. He seemed to glide across the grassy meadow as he moved closer towards them.

“Kris.” He said silkily. “Fancy seeing you alone here.”

Kris gave her a subtle look before looking back at the Djinn. “My pursuits are none of your business, Tao.”

“Ah, how can you be so blunt?” He was dangerously close to where Sooyoung was sitting. “It pains to see you alone and friendless.” His last word resonated in one loud hissing note all over the meadow.

Tao was standing a few inches away from Sooyoung's feet. He moved as if to take a step but Kris stood up and pushed him away.

“Hey!” Tao's malicious grin faded into an annoyed expression. “You don't have to be so touchy.”

“Leave now, Tao. Before I break the Rule of Concord against you Djinns.” A vein throbbed in his temple as he spat the words.

The Djinn took a step back and threw him one last look before it turned around and disappeared into the shadows of trees at the edge of the meadow.

A few seconds after which, Kris felt as if his strength has left his body as he slumped down on the grass. Sooyoung who seemed petrified all the while the confrontation happened panicked as the boy leaned involuntary towards her direction.

“K-Kris?” Her hand flew towards his forehead. “That's your name, right? Are you okay?”

Kris opened his mouth as if to say something but closed it afterward.

“I am not really that determined to get your name, you know.” She let out a nervous laugh. “I could do well even without your friend coming here.”

The statement roused him up. He gave her a long look, stood up, and pulled her with him.

“Ow! What was that for?”

Her complaints fell on deaf ears. With a long stride of his neverending legs, they reached the edge of the woods.

“Go home.” he said icily.
“What?”
“I've answered your questions. Go home.”
“Are you bipolar? You were fine just a while ago!”
“Go. Home.” He repeated for the nth time.
“What's wrong with you? What's happening?”

Kris weaved his hand through his hair in frustration, causing few more strands to fall limply against his forehead. “You don't belong here.” He said through gritted teeth. “Go home before other Djinns find you here.”

“Will I see you again?” The words left involuntarily.

He looked stunned at the question. “What?”

“I mean, after this, you don't really expect me to forget everything right?” She tried to sound as calm as possible. “Or will I?”

The realization came with the faint shadow of a smile on his face. She felt his strong grip on her hand loosen but a yelp went out of when he slid his arm on her back and he pushed her against the tree trunk.

"Hey!" Sooyoung grimaced when her back hit the trunk of the tree.

His lips twitched slightly in what might be a an expression of elusive pity before he spoke his next words softly. It was barely louder than a whisper yet Sooyoung heard every word.

“Thanks for the night, Human.”

The last thing Sooyoung remembered was the way his hands shot towards a spot inches away from her left arm. She felt a feeling as if the tree was engulfing her. It was only when her bottom hit the soft earth did she realize that she was back in the park. She was back in her world.

 

 


Kris felt as if he was lifted of a heavy burden when he saw the girl vanish in front of him. He took a deep breath and exhaled rather sharply. He did not want to think of the punishment he might face once they find out that he brought a Human, albeit unintentionally, inside Dunya. Djinns are lenient and fond of Whisperers but the Rule of Concord is unbreakable. Whisperers are tasked to look after the safety of Dunya; they are the last people expected to commit a mistake. One wrong move and the fate of Dunya crumbles. His hands unceremoniously made its way to the pendant hanging on his neck. The absence of the silty cloth draping on his shoulders startled him. He turned around to get his cloak but stood face-to-face with a tight-lipped Changmin, one hand-holding his rumpled cloak and the other holding a slipper.

 


A/N: ayo guise, I hope this chap will shed some light to all the confusion xD Btw, SooKris shippers, do you know that you already have a name? It's NINJA. aksbfakjf I am seriously loving all these Soo-het shipper names keke ♥